followed tags: 25
followed domains: 7
badges given: 6 of 11
member for: 964 days
Work run eat sleep.
A musician I follow posted "Routine is a comfort. Comfort is a killer." I completely disagree. My routine allows me to take certain aspects of my life as given. I will have the same dinner tonight as I've had every Wednesday since my last vacation two months ago. I don't think that's hyperbole.
My routine is a comfort that allows me to push myself in other ways. When I don't have to think about dinner, when I know it will be nutritious, tasty, and filling I can work on other things.
When I know I can run Thursday because I bought groceries Wednesday, I can focus on running faster, further, better. When 98% of my life is sorted out, I'm more able to bust my ass on the other 2%.
Basically I realize more and more that the platitudes of musicians are shit. Writing some good songs doesn't give them an insight to life.
- Not technically or economically limited. Politically limited.
What's the difference between economics and politics?
The economics make the politics untenable.
I was thinking it looked pretty big until I saw the behemoth looking in from next door.
The only thing I seem to be stuck with is video purchases. What I want is to pay for DRM-free movies I can download and keep for as long as my computer or backups survive. I seem to be stuck with iTunes for now.
Otherwise I think I'm free to make any change. I like not being stuck in an ecosystem.
I'm in this same camp, except I'm not in the market for a new machine and will keep my mid-2012 MacBook Pro running as long as I can. That's the last with user replaceable parts. I upped the RAM already and have been lazy about a solid state drive. But it's an easy swap.
Thank you for writing this out so well. I feel like I'm in a sort of similar place. Five years ago I wouldn't have said I was happy. Today? And not just today metaphorically but literally today, Valentine's Day when I'm single and sharing my bed with a cat? Yeah. I think I'm happy.
The best example I'd have of love lost is a good friend who randomly texted me a picture of her cats last night. She's in a relationship that appears really healthy. And I think I'm single and not just as healthy as I've ever been, but actually healthy. We have a great friendship.
- Iceland consumes 17.5 billion kWh
So if a continuous flow, that'd be 2000 MW steady for 8760 hours/year. Where I am, overnight load is about half of the daytime peak. Assuming a symmetric load shape, low load overnight would be about 1350 MW and daytime peak about 2700 MW.
On a global scale, Iceland is a rounding error. On an Icelandic scale, an 18 MW load could increase their load about 1%. It's surprisingly significant.
Oh yeah, as a political thing coal is monumentally stupid, like NRA levels of stupid. It should be dead. As a power source it would be nice if it was dead along with all the other awful things civilization does. It isn't, but it's getting there.
- When the Saudis are building solar farms?
...can we be done with fucking coal please?
I assume that's a rhetorical question. I'm happy to discuss power system stuff at length, regardless. Coal does provide some useful features that solar does not. Solar similarly provides some useful, unique features, like zero moving parts and operation and maintenance being one part time guy with a damp towel.
Personal limits can be pushed. They should be pushed. It isn't about accepting limits, it's about understanding where they are and working to push them. That's where kleinbl00's positive spin on your post, the italicized bit in his first reply, fits. You're already doing the right things, and approaching them more positively can be really good.
It isn't about dejectedly accepting limits, it's being optimistic at understanding them and knowing you can work on pushing them. It doesn't matter if others don't have to do the same. They have their own limits and work to push them, regardless of how that limit compares to yours.
You can push limits.
I had a long conversion with a good friend about being told as children that we could do anything if we worked hard enough and then being disappointed as adults when things don't pan out.
I really like and agree with your optimistic twist. There was never anything I could have done to be an Olympic marathoner. There was no wrong choice in my past, no lack of motivation. I just don't have the physiology. The "you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it" mantra can make physiology feel like a personal failing, but it isn't. Understanding I have limits and knowing it's ok to have those limits really helps.