Share good ideas and conversation.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
Dendrophobe's profile
Dendrophobe




stats
following: 14
followed tags: 5
followed domains: 0
badges given: 3 of 5
member for: 1621 days
style: dark



comments 0
Dendrophobe  ·  link  ·  parent  ·  post: Slack - has anyone used it?

Switched to it at work recently. I like it. Well designed, slick interface, lots of features. It's apparently really easy to add external services to it. I work with a small team that's known each other for years and works in the same room, so our use is a little... unconventional. It's easy to set up trigger words that cause slackbot to respond, which we use almost exclusively to sass each other. Good times.

Completely unexpected. I was thinking it would be a minority government, either conservative or liberal. I had absolutely no expectation that it would turn out the way it did. I was keeping an eye on some of the predictions, and last night's outcome was at the far end of probability. I don't know that anyone saw it coming.

I saw a TV show a few years ago where Elvis Costello interviewed Copeland, and he instantly became my favourite member of The Police. He's a very funny guy, and one of my favourite drummers.

His father was an interesting person as well.

Dendrophobe  ·  link  ·  parent  ·  post: Looking for good reads

I just finished Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. It's a good science fiction novel, but it didn't really grab my attention until I got about halfway through and they explained what the main character's motivation was.

Yeah, I had no idea about the total amount of money raised, and had absolutely no faith in it having a notable effect.

I'm pretty happy to be wrong.

Playing devils advocate, Google is the search engine. Yahoo, Bing, and DuckDuckGo together don't have the market share to pull this off. Baidu is the only other provider I can think of that could do something like this, but I don't think they have the same global reach that Google does. If you think someone can do something this important, it makes sense to me to name them.

That said, from your other post, it sure sounds like the author has an axe to grind.

I really need to learn how all this stuff works. Etherium has piqued my interest over the last week, it seems like it could be big.

Hm... I don't know more than the basics, really, but you can think of a Markov chain as being a directed graph (as in graph theory, not charts in Excel), with weighted edges like this. A and E are the two states, so if you're in state A, there's a 40% chance you'll move to state E, and a 60% chance you'll stay in state A.

If I'm not mistaken, it's related to Bayesian inference as well, since they both address the same basic question (If I know that X is true, what's the chance that Y will happen).

I hope that helps.

I was going to try Soylent when 2.0 was released. Now, I'm not so sure...

A Markov chain is a set of states. You can move from some of the states to other states, and there's a certain probability of the direction you will take.

For example, you might go for a walk regularly. After you're done walking, you either go home (75% chance) or go out for ice cream (25% chance). There are three states here - walking, home and ice cream. If I wanted to model your behavior, I could say "Okay, now they're walking. What do they do next?", roll some dice, and then decide if you went out for ice cream or went home after your walk.

With Markov chain text generators, the states are just individual words, and you transition from one word to another based on the probability that those two words appear together.

posts and shares 0/0