Thought dump thread! Also, I can't get over how bad the AV Club's redesign is. It makes me irrationally angry.
Is it alright for me to post a link to the episode? (I watched it through this Youtube link.)[
Here are my notes:
- There's a quote that sums up this episode for me: "Hell is the place you go after you die where you meet the person you could have become."
- "Normally I would come down on any kind of disruption but it seems to reflect a positive change on your character."
- Holy shit, poor Stacy. Sea Cucumber, sea cucumber!
- That Toxic Rick was tricking Detoxed Rick was a complete surprise to me. It kind of reminds me of how the most successful chatbots in the early days were those that were hurled insults at human users.
- Did anyone notice that Rick keeps in the household not one, but two devices that clone him in emergencies?
- Is it just me, or does this episode feel very experimental? I'm not sure if it's because the story had to go faster, or if there was a lack of B Plot, or if it's because the other characters in the episode were literally just another version of themselves- I'm not really sure.
- Personal note: For as long as I've known, I've been on the depressed, self-loathing side of things. But there once was a span of two years where I felt I was a fundamentally different person, a wide-eyed extrovert fresh off of a read of How To Win Friends and Influence People and first entering into my university's debate team with confidence and gusto.
I was dating someone at the time, and there was a particularly rough patch where I began belittling her for not conforming to the grand scheme of ideas in my head- I relied on a lot of my confidence and gut feeling to justify myself. It was an odd step in my life where I had never been confident before, I was like a superhero first getting used to their powers, collateral damage included.
That said, that version of me would have watched The Wolf of Wall Street and would have been inspired to work in finance.
- This kind of feels like the first weak episode of the season to me, but I wonder if it's because I've overhyped it for myself, I kept watching the teaser trailer over and over again. Vulnerable Rick is a treasure, I may have played it out too much for myself.