mbalex's comments
mbalex  ·  392 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are you scared of?

Suffocation and commitment

Both deal with the idea of being trapped and I despise that feeling. The feeling of not being able to do or prevent something, of being powerless.

mbalex  ·  392 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What's Hubski Reading?

Rumo. There's no possible way to describe this book other than a coherent cocaine trip that went surprisingly well.

mbalex  ·  392 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Yo dawg, Google heard you like machine learning...

Reading this article--while impressive--just shows us how far we are from a true AI. The definition of AI is "the theory and development of computer systems able to perform tasks that normally require human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages".

In order to create a true AI, the machine itself would have to be as perfectly flawed as humans. It would have to possess the ability for irrational thinking, misinterpretation, forming a bias and then dismantling that bias. That would be true metalearning. We learn and interpret this world by making mistakes, recognizing these mistakes, then rectifying them. Additionally, in order for an AI to be fully integrated in our world AS a true AI and not a complex calculator, it would have to be able to recognize and factor in the numerous inconsistencies and exceptions in both our world and in humans. Creating an AI without these imperfections would make it nothing more than a machine, because as much science as philosophy provides on how and why and ways to recognize a human's thought process, there are always exceptions and information gaps.

As long as we are unsure of the exact way a human mind operates, a true AI will be nothing more than science fiction.

mbalex  ·  392 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hurricane Ophelia is headed for...Ireland

Lovely, I'm heading to Ireland in about two weeks.

mbalex  ·  396 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: SpaceX launched a satellite with a used rocket and nailed the landing.

If you visit "spaceflight now", it'll give you a whole schedule of upcoming launches.

francopoli  ·  396 days ago  ·  link  ·
mbalex  ·  396 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Today's Writing Prompt: This Is What It's Like

Thank you, I'm glad the emotion came across as intended.

This is what it's like to fail.

To fall and scream,

To break and decay.

To float aimlessly until you're anchored at the bottom by the weight in your chest.

This is what it's like to lose.

To grasp nothingness.

To envy and hate.

To try again and again because you've been told you could but you can't and now you're--

This is what it's like to fall.

This is what it's like to crash.

This is what it's like to be collected in a heap of broken bones by the depths of despair and you're trapped, alone.

This is what it's like heal.

Slow and painful.

Cautiously, but able.

This is what it's like to stand.

To wobble and trip.

To stumble and shake.

To grasp blindly for the walls as support and they cut your palms, but you're on your feet.

This is what it's like to climb.

To burn and tremble.

To bleed and sweat.

To ignore the protests of your mind and heed the leaps of your heart until finally, finally!

You're free.

And the light burns your eyes and skin and you're tired but you've started again and now, now you're--

This is what it's like to succeed.

lil  ·  396 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for contributing.

Your poem gives me the feeling that you really know what it's like.

mbalex  ·  396 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you, I'm glad the emotion came across as intended.

mbalex  ·  785 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Post from Lil

Cool buy all the same and looking forward to it!

mbalex  ·  785 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Post from Lil

Cool buy all the same and looking forward to it!

mbalex  ·  786 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: DIYski! What have you been up to around the house?

I'm not a big DIYer, but just wanted to say that place looks beautiful!

mbalex  ·  786 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What's the pros and cons of Hubski?

Thanks! That definitely explains some of the user-to-user interaction I've seen.

I've been trying to follow a lot of tags for that reason. I notice after a good 30 minutes, there's nothing else to look at.

francopoli  ·  786 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you click on the "People" link at the top of the page, you go to a list of the active core of the site. What I did when I started way back then was look at all the badged content and run through the comments that others felt the community as a whole needs to look at.

tacocat  ·  786 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is my go-to time waster. I'm here all the time even if I'm just lurking. I happen to be exceptionally active since I was suspended from work. That said I don't know why I follow anything. I'm going to see most everything anyway

keifermiller  ·  786 days ago  ·  link  ·

I come and go on here a lot.

My m.o. if I am going to check the site daily or more is to visit global and lean on filtering to customize away spam instead of checking my feed.

If I've been/am absent I check my feed/follows.

Ha! And I've been noticing that. I've only been on for three days and I already recognize many usernames (yours included).

mbalex  ·  786 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy Saturday Hubski. Have a chatty Kookaburra.

Gay his life must be.

mbalex  ·  786 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 3D Printing Is Going to Turn the Miniatures Gaming Market Into a War Zone

3D printing still wouldn't produce a miniature as detailed or well painted as something manufactured though. If people want something quality and "rare", they still have to buy through companies. Even if a person tried to produce them himself, they'd end up costing more than what he's selling them for.