bfv's comments
bfv  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Windows 7: One Year to Go

You're supporting like 10 users at the birth center. You could put them on TempleOS and not drive yourself too crazy.

LOL I'm supporting two EHRs

bfv  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Strong Law of Small Numbers

Generating all primes is just as easy as testing for primes:

import math

def is_prime(n):

for m in range(2,int(math.sqrt(n))+1):

if n%m == 0:

return False

return True

def primes():

n = 2

while True:

if is_prime(n):

yield n

n += 1

for p in primes():

print p

it's just that we don't have useful ways to generate primes.

wasoxygen  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

And in 2019, I just entered the phrase "is 4294967297 prime" into a search engine. That level of effort might explain why I only got two out of three of the examples above correct (no better than chance!) before looking at the solutions.

But #1 stumped Fermat too! I didn't know that this problem sparked Euler's interest in number theory, according to "How Euler Did It" (4-page PDF). It was one of the many problems left over from the famous Fermat-Descartes correspondence.

Fermat and Descartes did not like each other very much. In fact, some people describe their relationship as a “feud,” but it seems that Descartes resented Fermat more than Fermat disliked Descartes. They probably never met.

I figured Euler must have scribbled out a lot of long division problems to crack the Fermat number conjecture. But apparently he found a shortcut.

[SPOILER]

Euler’s mentor in St. Petersburg, Christian Goldbach, alerted Euler to the conjecture in 1729. Euler responded almost immediately that he could make no progress on the problem, but by 1732, close to a hundred years after Fermat had originally made the conjecture, Euler had a solution: Fermat was wrong. In Euler’s first paper on number theory [E26] Euler announced that 641 divides 4,294,967,297.... What Euler did not tell us in E26 was how he thought to try to divide 4,294,967,297 by 641. He hadn’t simply been dividing by prime numbers until he got to 641. He had a much better way, but he waited about fifteen years, until E134, to reveal that secret.
bfv  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 9, 2019

It's only been recently that biologists have started listening to anthropologists: anything that strengthens social bonds is of evolutionary advantage. Full stop.

Peter Kropotkin would like a word.

I clicked hoping for Hajime Sorayama but got an Auton instead.

It's a long, horrific walk from Cherry 2000 for damn sure.

bfv  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: You Don’t Want Hygge. You Want Social Democracy

"Too much"? Sign me up for Animal Crossing and call me a filthy casual, man!

And that's just it - most people wanna play some other game, thanks, and Bare-Knuckle Capitalism™ does not align with their interests.

But the guys with the Limited Edition and the coaches only see a bunch of whiners who think it's too sweaty because they lack the commitment to "get gud" in free-to-play.

And, like most games, the environment is shaped by the whales.

bfv  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "Where are you at right now?" Thread

I'm drinking NyQuil like water because if I have to be sick I don't want to be conscious for it.

OftenBen  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's how I got into baking.

Cough Syrup and the GBBO.

bfv  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How Much of the Internet Is Fake? Turns Out, a Lot of It, Actually.

... and then I find out what Chrome and Safari's default "automatically pay" amount is and request an empty file that costs that much every random() seconds on my clickbait site, which exists under many identities that I retire when they start getting added to blacklists. And the arms race continues, only instead of picking advertisers' pockets we're picking everyone's.

Absolutely. The difference is, if I'm an advertiser and I'm paying in CPM, I'm not paying attention to individual users. If someone is scamming me for .01% of my content I call that "breakage" and move on. But if I'm getting scammed I'm getting scammed and I care a lot more.

It's the difference between being shoplifted and being pickpocketed. Shoplifters target your business. Pickpockets target you. It's the degree of remove that allows most of this to go on and getting rid of that degree simplifies things.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if I'm the New York Times, I probably have no interest or reason to allow you on my site. You can't inject code. And if I've given money to a site that has allowed you to inject code in the past, I'm that much less likely to give money to that site in the future. What kind of nightclub are you running? The kind where you can get a drink and call a cab and be fine or the kind where you have to keep your hand over your drink because the GHB flows freely? There are probably reasons for both clubs to exist but if you try to be one while actually being the other you'll lose your clientele quickly. Right now it's all free and it's all supported by ads; as soon as users become the market instead of the marketplace users end up voting more.

bfv  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Elizabeth Warren Announces She Is Running for President in 2020

I worry that she'll be a spoiler for anyone running to her left in the primary and more or less guarantee Biden is the nominee. I wouldn't hate her being president, I don't think the next Democratic administration will be able to accomplish anything Warren wouldn't be on board for regardless, but since she hasn't done much since Occupy was a thing other than make herself the brunt of Pocahontas jokes there are other just-barely-actually-on-the-left Democrats with better chances of winning.

My theory? She's running for VP.

The next Democratic candidate is going to be a white male. The DNC is going to go centrist AF with the excuse that Ocasio-Cortez and the like are crazy Tea Party leftists and "CENTRISM" is what America really wants. Which means the inevitably milquetoast whitebread establishment white male is going to want someone to excite the rabble-rousing millennials. Which means a woman, preferably a minority, preferably a firebrand.

Warren is running for VP against Ocasio-Cortez and Kamala Harris. She's trying to earn plenty early on so she can force concessions from whoever ends up with the nomination.

cgod  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

If the Dem's want to win they put forth the most boring White male candidate they can find.

The Democratic heir apparent usually loses their presidential bid, Hillary, Gore, and Kerry.

A dark horse governor often does really well for the Dem's, see Clinton or Carter. Obama was a dark horse candidate, not a governor but he won and wasn't the parties torch bearer.

A bland white guy who is centrist, business friendly while being decent on generally leftist social issues will be harder for Trump to bait, lambaste and lampoon. A friendly guy who can give a sardonic smile and chuckle at Trumps bullshit while talking about non or less partisan issues that we should have been working on the past four years would starve the Trump campaign for that which feeds his base. Trump would be left with nothing but vilifying Nancy and Chuck.

Warren has already shown her self all too eager to give Trump ammo in response to his side show, she would have done better to starve him with noble silence or aloof contempt.

If John Hickenlooper could get some traction I think he'd kick Trumps ass. I could be wrong but he's got all the bonifides of a centrist governor who's boring as can be while seeming like a well balanced and pleasant dude.

goobster  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

Jay Inslee - governor of Washington State - is being touted as a potential Democratic candidate for the Presidency.

Him as a successful Governor of a progressive state with a strong Republican minority... Warren as the die-hard representative of the DC Democratic machine... could be an interesting duo.

francopoli  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

I posted a list of people that I'd like to see run for president back in, hell feels like a million years ago. The person that wins the nomination will sit quietly in the background, building cash and good will, then pull a Bill Clinton and jump in in late 2019 just in time for everyone to be talking about them in Iowa in Feb 2020.

Warren will never be president. Then again, I said that about Trump. So, who knows?

bfv  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

It seems to me that getting people who don't generally vote to come out is a better strategy for the Democrats than triangulation now. There aren't that many fencesitters anymore.

I have not observed the Democrats go for "better strategy" in many moons.

Odder  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

My money is on it being a battle between whomever Bernie endorses and whomever Mike Bloomberg would vote for, and Warren will drop out after she gets like 2% in New Hampshire. I just don't see her being a spoiler because I don't think there's a "middle" to the democratic party anymore that she can appeal to, the party at this point is really just a weak alliance between centrists and the Left.

Nepotist  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think her appeal will be pretty wide. I was a Sanders guy in 2016 and even with this Native American BS she'd still be a top pick for me, especially since I've moved away from Sanders on a lot of issues.

Ok, I'll bite. The subscription model doesn't make sense for the web because most of us don't read the New York Times, we read an article in the New York Times because we got linked to it from somewhere else. If every site used subscriptions you'd need a ridiculous number of subscriptions to use the web like the web.

Absolutely. Positively. This was one of the driving arguments behind Gilder's Life After Google: "a ridiculous number of subscriptions" is an excellent blockchain application.

Let's say I'm browsing with Mist and I've got it loaded up with 1 ETH. In order to browse pages I need to pay fees - positive or negative. eBay might find it effective to pay me a tenth of a cent for every page I click on - they might not. The New York Times might find it effective to hit me for 25 cents a day every time I land on one of their pages and then maybe a tenth of a cent for every article beyond that. Obviously my prices are actually in szabos or gwei or brindlestiffs or whatever we measure fractional cryptocurrency in but a conversion factor to realpeoplemoney is only a couple more lines of code and for now realpeoplemoney is how we operate.

I could set my browser to:

- automatically pay any site fee of .01 penny or less

- require approval for any site fee of 1 penny or more

- warn me if I try to browse to any site on a blacklist I subscribe to (for 5 cents a month)

- automatically allow me on any site that is a member of EthicsNet, the certification platform that controls for malware and clickbait

...and so long as all my browsing is connected to that wallet all the rules apply. At that point blockchain basically becomes "cookies" except since I'm the direct investor rather than the target of investment, the content becomes arrayed to suit my wants and needs rather than that of the people paying for my eyeballs.

For that matter I could pay Mother Jones 50 cents a month to let me onto their content network and let them curate for me. They could try out new sources of content and allow them onto their network for negotiated prices and then I could maybe score a discount for allowing these un-vetted sources access to my eyeballs. Robert Mercer could give out 50 cents to anybody who spends ten minutes on InfoWars. Bias doesn't go away but the perversion of incentives does. If I'm willing to spend $15 a month on journalism I'm going to get better journalism. Maybe George Soros gives out journalism grants to spend on anything you want while Sheldon Adelson gives out journalism grants to certain websites. Will the public start to smell a rat?

Pay for the CPB with a subsidy. Pay for The National Enquirer with NRA money. Pay a penny a month for a funding tracer so you know who's behind your journalism. Everybody gets paid, everybody can throw money in the pool and it becomes direct rather than tangential.

bfv  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

steve  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

that's where micropayment could come in to play. Maybe you wouldn't pay a monthly fee to the NYT - you'd just pay .0000003 Ether or something like that.

bfv  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Interesting article about how startups fall into the traps laid by paid marketing

It's the Windows model: sell it to the management and the whole company's stuck with it.

all power to the pointy-haired

bfv  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Poe's Law in Plushy Form

That commercial seems a lot like spams with bad grammar and poorly drawn one weird trick banner ads. If after seeing it you're still inclined to give them your money, you are the sucker they are looking for.

bfv  ·  53 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Google employees: We no longer believe the company places values over profits

"Guys, this Kool-Aid tastes funny...."

bfv  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The biggest brand in digital media has lost much of its lustre

I don't think anyone but marketers and people writing the thinkpieces about hipsters that preceded the thinkpieces about millennials killing things ever thought Vice was cool.

I don't disagree. But I also think that there are far, far too many "marketers and people writing the thinkpieces about hipsters."

bfv  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Somebody sent Hilary Clinton and Obama mail bombs

Dude, could you quit it with the passive-aggressive community tags? All it does is force the rest of us to come up with a second tag so you don't put words in our mouths.

PTR  ·  86 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oops. Wrong reply.

bfv  ·  137 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration

"Don't worry America, some of us are lawful evil!"

oyster  ·  137 days ago  ·  link  ·

Seriously, narcissists always have a few enablers. Are we supposed to be relieved that they stopped some bad ideas while baby snatching slipped through ?

tacocat  ·  137 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'll take it given the circumstances