rd95's comments
rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy Saturday, Hubski. Have a Japanese Macaque Looking Meditative

Oh no! I slept through pretty much all of American history! Um. I think it was a French Territory before it was a state. French people love cheese. France. Cheese. Wisconsin. Ta-da!

rd95  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: America's reluctant septuagenarian workforce

Which I shared and commented on. Heh. Small internet, huh?

rd95  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 17, 2018

Well, I'm hoping to do more like these ones very soon. Hopefully, both my drawing and story telling gets better.

Thank you. I hope you're having an awesome weekend.

rd95  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 17, 2018

I went back and badged your comment. Yesterday took a lot out of me and honestly, that compliment did alot to turn my mood around.

I love art from all over the place (even product packaging, believe it or not), but comics are definitely some of my favorite. It's amazing to see all the different ways people decide to draw things and the details they decide to focus on or leave out. I didn't know it showed in what I draw, But I'm glad it does. :)

WanderingEng  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think it's what's left out that appeals to me in your art. Although things aren't straight in nature, the straight(ish) lines of things like the river or the sun appeal to me for reasons I can't describe. Maybe it's like a story. I've heard it said that a good author doesn't tell a reader what something is like, they show them. Maybe it's similar here for me. Showing too much would have been telling the viewer, and instead the minimalist aspects help show me.

Again I'm no professional art critic, but I genuinely enjoy seeing your drawings and these pieces especially.

rd95  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you. I hope you're having an awesome weekend.

rd95  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 17, 2018

Yeah. Automation is one of the things I'm keeping in mind as I try and figure out what I'm gonna do. It's a pretty unsettling prospect.

rd95  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 17, 2018

I somETiMes WonDer IF ouR LOve foR CapITaliZatiON LooKS LikE ThIS to ESL SPeakeRS.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Tell you in a year and a half, when I'm teaching school children.

rd95  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 17, 2018

And when I'm done smashing it? I'm gonna show the next guy where the hammer is. Gotta pass on the help.

rd95  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 17, 2018

Thank you! That actually means a lot to me. I don't think I'd ever win any competitions, but I think I've finally learned being "good" at drawing and enjoying drawing are two different things. Knowing people enjoy them a bit makes it that more worthwhile.

WanderingEng  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes! I enjoy lots of things I'm not good at!

There's something about your style I really like. I think it's the comic influence.

rd95  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you. I hope you're having an awesome weekend.

rd95  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 17, 2018

Hermit looking at the city from a distance.

Hermit showing a flower to a curious creature.

Two weeks ago in Pubski I said I had an idea to draw a silent comic about a hermit who finds himself deciding to live in a city. Here he is. Obviously, these aren't comics, but I think I'm just gonna draw him in various scenes for a while, just to practice drawing.

I'm really and seriously thinking I'm gonna go back to school. It won't be for anything crazy, like a degree, but a friend of mine showed me one of my community colleges has a bunch of work certifications and work retraining programs and they look doable, and affordable, and I'm gonna fucking make it happen. They have so many options, from forklift training to HAZMAT certification, to clerical training, to machine repair, to all sorts of shit. I bet this isn't an anomaly. I bet there's colleges all over the place that offer shit like this. Best of all, it's not a for profit, over the internet, we're gonna scam you college. This is a real place, with a physical campus, with real teachers, and all that shit. This shit is legit.

I had a draining day at work today. All of my enthusiasm has been sucked out of me today. But man, when I think about this, and talk to Dala or my parents or my friends about this, I'm so fucking pumped. I feel like I've been facing a brick wall for years now and someone just came by and said "Psst. There's a sledgehammer behind those bushes. Go to town." This year, I'm gonna stroll over to that sledgehammer, give the wall one last look, and then beat the ever loving shit out of it until it's nothing but rubble. Fucking wall deserves to be nothing but rubble, cause I want what's on the other side.

Fuck yeah.

keifermiller  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

to machine repair

You know what department is gonna be hecking hard to automate away?

Plant Engineering.

I'm not too optimistic about anybody's job being "safe" from automation. But those guys? They'll be fine for quite a while I reckon.

snoodog  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

May be safe but quality of life can suck because many plants are far away from major cities and it can be hard to meet people, educate children and find a job for your spouse in those areas

keifermiller  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

The retail apocalypse is pushing more and more logistic operations into the metros.

Traditional shippers need more and bigger facilities to handle the constant rise in volume, and stuff like Amazon Same Day is only viable if they have major warehouses inside of population centers. Right now it's an industry that is labor heavy, but that'll change.

Pretty much every warehousing/logistics automation video I've seen on youtube is either robits or complex conveyor systems.

rd95  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

While I have no background that qualifies me to judge art, I love your drawings. I hope you keep doing them and sharing them.

rd95  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes! I enjoy lots of things I'm not good at!

rd95  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you. I hope you're having an awesome weekend.

AnSionnachRua  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

You can do it, rd! Smash em!

rd95  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

So, I've done some poking around and I honestly don't know. Like I said earlier, I really can imagine it going either direction. That said, I poked around the site a bit last night and the articles aren't half bad. I think I'll put it in my weekly news rotation (it doesn't seem to update often enough for me to check it daily).

I'm sorry I don't have a concrete answer.

orbat  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm sorry I don't have a concrete answer.

Absolutely not a problem. Appreciate you taking the time

I honestly don't know if it's always been a secular paper or if it started out as something different and evolved over the decades. It really could be either. I think I'll try and look into it and I'll let you know what I find.

Interesting. I was unaware, but that's good information to have. Thank you.

cgod  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I poked around a bit and it looks the church pulled back from more direct control, maybe. Sounds like the church put a non-journalist church member in charge in the early 2000s and later put professional journalist back in charge later in the decade. I'm not sure what the background of the current leadership is.

I remember a bunch sky is falling pieces in the mainstream press when a church member took control back in the day but I can't find much good analysis of weather the quality of the paper has suffered from the changes. Sounds like the Monitor had as much trouble as any other paper adjusting to the new media landscape and that it might be hard to tell what changes are because of changes in the media landscape and which are from leadership changes.

You're right to associate the two. The paper originally started because the founder of Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy, was originally being hounded left and right by churches and other traditional institutions for her offshoot of Christianity. One of the avenues that this happened was through newspapers. This was pretty common at the time and pretty shameful. So she created The Christian Science Monitor as a result, not necessarily to push her religion, but because she wanted some fair press somewhere.

The paper itself is secular and has been known to put out some pretty compelling reporting from time to time. It was especially well regarded during the '60s and '70s when our country was going through a rough political time.

Edit: I used to read them a lot back in the early 2000s. I don't quite remember why I stopped, it was probably one of those things where I just didn't keep on reading them. I think I might add them back into my news rotation.

Edit 2: Apparently even Mark Twain got aboard the anti-Eddy train. Is there anyone in his lifetime he didn't pick a fight with?

cgod  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

It used to be secular but in the past decade the church has exerted more control over the paper. There is still great journalism to be found in it but maybe not as much as in it's hey day.

rd95  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interesting. I was unaware, but that's good information to have. Thank you.

cgod  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

orbat  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interesting. Any idea how it ended up being so secular (although apparently it's less so nowadays)? I read a few other articles and I really couldn't tell it's somehow associated with Christian Science; I'd expect a paper originally started by a fairly, well, crank-y offshoot of Christianity to be wildly different.

rd95  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm sorry I don't have a concrete answer.

orbat  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm sorry I don't have a concrete answer.

Absolutely not a problem. Appreciate you taking the time

rd95  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy Saturday Hubski. Have some delightful frogs.

Love it!

They can be quite stunning to see, huh? I chose these ones because they all had pretty good photos of them (I originally had about a dozen, but I didn't want to overload this page with pictures). If you wanna see some really cool examples of frogs, check out some of these guys . . .

The female Suriname Toad keeps the young literally inside pockets in her back until they've developed enough to leave and live on their own.

There is a whole branch of frogs known as Glass Frogs and some of the members of that family have transparent bottom skin. When viewed from below, you can literally see their insides. Don't be afraid to click that. It's not gory.

Poison Dart Frogs are all sorts of colorful and fascinating for a myriad of reasons. The toxicity of many of them is overstated, but as a whole, the family is pretty famous for their potent secretions.

Some species, when kept in captivity and properly cared for, can live for an impressively long time. I've heard both The American Toad and The Common Toad can literally live for decades.

There's so many more cool things about frogs, from how some of them hibernate to how some survive droughts to their sizes and shapes and hunting behaviors. Unfortunately, I can't find examples of some of the really cool stuff because there are a ton of different kinds of frogs and I can't remember all of what facts go to which families of frogs or individual frogs. But yeah, they're pretty freaky and pretty cool. If you have any zoos near you that have a collection of amphibians and reptiles, I highly recommend you check them out. These creatures are so much more impressive in person and zoos tend to have some pretty nifty specimens in particular.

With that, I'll leave you a video of this tough little guy. We think he's cute, but actually, he's mad as hell and he's not gonna take it anymore.