We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
rd95's comments
rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Vikings Razed the Forests. Can Iceland Regrow Them?

In 1997 the Kazakh president launched a plan to protect his new capital from the icy winds of the featureless steppes with a ring of trees. Twenty years on, his scientists are still struggling to grow forests in a spot where no trees stood.

Since we're talking about growing trees in harsh places. In the article you posted mk, it talked about students traveling to Iceland to learn about contemporary desertification. It would be interesting to see if people around the world, struggling to reforest places, are exchanging ideas, techniques, and data. There's a similar article I read a while back, about a man somewhere in Asia, who planted a whole forest himself, tree by tree. I'll see if I can find that and share it too.

Edit: Here's a whole list of projects

rd95  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

You guys went on a quest!

Invasion of the Astro-Monster/Godzilla X Monster Zero ended up being a real treat for me because I didn't ever see the movie until after I saw episodes of The Rebel on television. Nick Adams is the actor that plays the American in the movie and in The Rebel he's a man named Johnny Yuma roaming the country side with a sawed off shotgun doing cowboy shit. The entire time I watched Monster Zero, I couldn't help but imagine Nick Adams character was an astronaut Johnny Yuma.

You're starting to get to the point where the Showa era starts to let loose a bit more and have more fun. It's honestly been so long since I've seen either Godzilla X Ebirah or Son of Godzilla that I don't remember much of either. They're all fun in their own way though. Lots of people really enjoy Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla X Hedorah just because they're pretty wild departures from your regular films.

So, out of curiosity, do you have a favorite monster yet?

You should go around, ooing and awwing everything and taking pictures like Detroit is the biggest, fanciest city you've ever seen.

steve  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

how did you know? are you following us around? ;-)

rd95  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

Went to bed last night feeling like a champ. Woke up this morning feeling like a loser. Must have been a dream I had last night.

I was gonna make a rant about how much I hate Nat Geo Wild and how I think the channel is sensationalist and borderline exploitative reality TV bullshit that puts what should be a historically well respected organization like National Geographic to shame. Decided not to post it, cause it's just too fucking negative. Seriously though, Nat Geo Wild is mostly shit.

Read multiple articles in the newspaper today dogging on my city, my county, and my state. I mean, I know this place isn't paradise, but hot damn, it's not that bad.

I'm wearing an undershirt, a flannel shirt, and a sweater and I still can't seem to get warm. Maybe I'm sick. I've been getting sick a lot lately. Don't know what that's about.

I'm gonna go draw something now and devise a plan into tricking thenewgreen into selling me his house for like, $100 or something.

Thread res. I was gonna post this today, but it looks like francopoli beat me to the punch by a whopping year.

rd95  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Unused 1997 McLaren F1 goes up for sale, could shatter price record

I used to collect action figures.I never could keep them in their packages. Chances are, I'd be the same with any car. :)

All cool bro. I'm loving these "millenials are destroying X" articles.

OftenBen  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hence the millenial kill club tag.

kantos  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm a fan.

Your URL has a referral to Reddit.

OftenBen  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Fixed, thanks.

rd95  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

All cool bro. I'm loving these "millenials are destroying X" articles.

OftenBen  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hence the millenial kill club tag.

kantos  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm a fan.

rd95  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

If crying is the worse you're doing, you've come far. I'm sorry to hear things didn't work, but keep trucking on dude and keep trying to improve. Right now, you deserve the best you that you can be.

tacocat  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you. I don't know how I'm doing it

rd95  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ads Don't Work That Way

I think the best way that ads work is that they just remind you that something exists. If it's something you're half interested and ads help keep it in your main thoughts, you're more likely to go after it. After I gave up Reddit, my media consumption for comics, movies, and games pretty much plummeted. I wasn't constantly being reminded about the things I wanted, so I tended to forget about them, and then, I didn't buy as much.

rd95  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Unused 1997 McLaren F1 goes up for sale, could shatter price record

OH MY GOD! I NEED TO START A GO-FUND-ME!!!

katakowsj  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hmmm... This F1 sounds a lot like Steve Carrell’s character’s action figures in “40 Year-Old Billionaire Virgin”. Not even out of the packaging.

rd95  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How to spot a financial crisis before it spots you

What are you talking about? We're doing great!

rd95  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Venezuela's Ruling Party Wins Surprise Victory In Regional Elections

Surprised? Rigged? It's all semantics.

To me, your argument sounds like the same argument that's been discussed here before - the user / company is dumb and should know better / protect themselves better.

That's not my argument at all, well, kind of. My first argument would be that it's the responsibility of organizations to do their best to secure their products (looking at you Equifax) and that they should be held to high standards of accountability as well as transparency.

What I'm trying to say is that

A) I don't think organizations are trying hard enough to be proactive, accountable, and transparent and I think that we're reaching a point where the public, and hopefully lawmakers, will really start to demand that.

B) Every time this kind of thing happens, there's someone new that reads these articles, and hopefully they discover how vulnerable they can be and start adjusting their behavior to protect themselves. I know I learn something new almost every time something like this comes up and I keep security an active part of my conversations when talking to other people, people who are savy so I can learn more and people who aren't savy so I can give them tips to protect themselves. For example, whenever banking comes up I always tell people to get mobile alerts and two factor authentication activated whenever possible.

C) We're on the tech frontier here. We have to understand that, know that we're at risk, and realize we're really just starting out in finding ways to protect ourselves. We need back up plans, just in case the metaphorical bear spray we're given to protect ourselves turns out to be nothing more than compressed water in a can.

I mean, hardships in this area are all around right now, but literally every time something like this happens, it's in the news (even on local television news) and it gets people talking and aware and awareness is the first step in addressing a problem.

veen  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

It is great that people are becoming more and more aware of this. But I genuinely don't think it's enough.

I mean, I agree with A). I'm right here with you hoping for a better world. And slowly but steadily, more people seem to care about privacy and security. Just a few days ago the 300,000 signature milestone was reached for initiating a referendum about a new mass surveillance law. Public awareness is growing and I love that.

But I don't think it is enough. Public awareness means that the low hanging fruit of insecurity is getting caught: I don't know anyone my age who isn't careful about their social media presence, and most people know not to connect to any WiFi network that looks free.

The main reason I linked to that discussion and the core of my argument is that we're now seeing fuckups so massive, so far-reaching that there is nothing you or I can do about it. Awareness is futile against an entire WPA protocol being insecure. Similarly, there will be companies that have your data, and they will at some point fuck up royally, and there is no researching or 'adjusting your behaviour' or bear spray that can stop it. Take Equifax: it's an oligopoly of three credit agencies, so there isn't enough pressure on any of those to get them to change their behaviour. Especially not since their real customers are the companies that buy their data. Maybe the government manages to break the market up or sets strict rules, and I really hope they do for the sake of everyone involved, but I highly doubt it.

I mean, it used to be just email / credit card data, like when Target or Adobe messed up. Now it's home addresses, SSNs, full names. Identity thefts are going to have a field day. What can normal people even do against that? Bear spray doesn't do shit against a tsunami.

It's gonna be truly dope when the biometrics get out. You can change a password but if Google or Apple leak your fingerprint...

and I know that Google and Apple don't "have" your fingerprint. They have a hashed cipher of markers of your fingerprint. But nobody realized Sony was storing user data and passwords in plaintext until it got out and I've seen no reason to trust either organization implicitly.

Eventually, there will come laws for improper data hoarding and breaches of secure information. There will be civil and criminal penalties for mishandling sensitive data - I mean, if you forced anyone that works with credit card or social security numbers to be HIPAA-compliant you'd see an instant sea change. But this will not happen until it is too late and there has been substantial damage done, and our legislators will fight it tooth and claw, democrat and republican.

And the NSA will still get it, and the NSA will still leak it, and we'll be right back where we started except the lawyers will be rich.