rd95's comments
Sorry, this comment is private.
rd95  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Gosh darned bookthread time.

Curently Reading

------------------------------

Locking Up Our Own by James Forman Jr. is interesting so far. It's a pretty weighty book and I don't feel like I have the proper insight to discuss it, but it's both dense and briskly written, touching on many ideas at once. It feels like if he wanted to, the author could have stretched everything out to multiple books.

While gathering up books to donate, I stumbled on The Phenomenon of Religion by Moojan Momen. I didn't know I had it and I don't ever remember buying it. I'm suspecting it was my father's and it somehow ended up in my book collection and that it's one of those things where I've seen it on my shelf so many times that I've somehow mentally overlooked it for years. It looks pretty big and imposing, but I think I might thumb through it. Edit: Just cracked it open and read the introduction. Looks worth perusing. Edit 2: Actively reading it now.

Might Read

------------------------------

I was pretty excited when I picked up Mustard and Passage's translation of Parzival because I didn't know it existed at the time and thought it would be great to read. I've yet to crack it open and I keep on admonishing myself about that every time I glance at it on my book shelf. Honestly though? Because they're drenched in metaphors and symbolism, these kinds of books require a certain mood and receptiveness to enjoy them and I'm just currently not in that frame of mind lately. So I think I'll hold onto it, until I am. Maybe if I stumble on a reading guide for it, I'll be motivated to read the two together.

An Aside

------------------------------

Anyone ever tempted to write in the margins of their books? Ideas or emotional responses to what they've just read? References to what's going on in life or other things that they've read that relate to what's in the book? Do you?

On the one hand, I think it would make reading more interactive and almost journal like. On the other hand though, I worry about ruining the book.

spottedzebras  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
tacocat  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

Depends on the book. I'm generally one who won't even dog ear pages. BUT I have (had maybe at this point...) an AA Big Book that I heavily annotated with how much I thought it was a crock of shit. More academic reads or self helpy stuff? Yes maybe sometimes it depends. Novels?NEVER!

rd95  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Who Lives At Home?

An interesting intersection between housing issues and health care, I know a couple who is currently looking at buying a duplex. One half for them is to live in, the other half is to rent to one of their parents. It addresses not only the issue of affordable housing, but also gives the couple an opportunity to care for the parents as they start to age. It seems like they're not the only ones with similar ideas. If you google "multi-generational housing" you'll get a lot of hits from various sources and perspectives.

glowinthedark  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

Here in Los Angeles, granny flats are currently all the rage. The city has set aside a fund to help homeowners build second, accessory dwelling units (ADU's) in their backyard. As the name granny flats implies, the most common usage is to have people from the older generation live there, similar to your friend's duplex situation.

In reality, it seems as though most homeowners are renting these out long term or short term on airbnb, which doesn't really help the original goal of the city's fund which is to help mitigate our housing crisis (shortage).

There were some proposals that if you rent your back house out to section 8 (low income) tenants, you get all sorts of government rewards. I don't know if this program is working though, as it seems like a tough sell to convince homeowners to invite low income tenants into their backyards.

rd95  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Outrage over Cartoon Network’s Thundercats reboot: ‘CalArts style’

I understand where you're coming from. I also understand where the critics are coming from. That doesn't mean I think what the animators are doing is blasphemous for the following reasons.

1) Exaggerated, easy to draw characters are nothing new to animation. They've been around since pretty much the beginning. Felix the Cat, Betty Boop, Mickey Mouse, etc. and they make resurgences every few decades, Animaniacs, Ren & Stimpy, Powerpuff Girls, The Grimm Adventures of Billy and Mandy, etc. Animators know that it's a great art style to build off of when you want to tell humorous and or light hearted stories. All of that is en vogue right now, which is fine, trends are cyclical.

2) Trying to be efficient and saving time and money in animation is also nothing new. The classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons are a great example, just look at Super Friends or The Herculoids in particular. I understand why people get upset with some of the more recent animation techniques looking cheap, but even compared to the lower budget stuff from a few decades ago, we've come a long way.

2a) As an aside, people tend remember cartoons being better than they really were. For example, it's kind of popular to criticize Teen Titans Go! for being so cheap compared to the original series. I watched the original series quite a few times. I own the whole series on DVD. It doesn't hold up as well as our memories would like us to think. The first season in particular suffered from very simple sounds and animation low in background details. Lots of cartoons don't hold up as well as we remember. I think DC's Timmverse and Samurai Jack are two very good exceptions.

3) Most importantly though, this is just a cartoon series. Something someone is making to tell a story and to make a corporation money. They have control over the property, they can do what they want with it. Once again, I understand why people might not like the art style, but the creators of the series want to tell a different kind of story and the new art style matches the tone I think they're probably gonna take. It's not the end of the world. The original cartoons still exist and just because there is something new that has come about, it doesn't mean what was ceases to be. If something isn't your cup of tea and you fear it runs the risk of ruining your impressions of what you love, ignore it. I've joked on here before that The Matrix Sequels and the Star Wars Prequels were never made and that Iron Man 3 and Fallout 4 are both high budget fan projects and not official canon.

If there is one thing I've learned from comics, it's that sometimes people are gonna take properties we love and take them in directions we don't want them to go. It's fun to gripe a bit about it here and there, but it's important to exercise detachment. If we love a property so much that changing it in such a way causes us to feel grief and frustration, we need to step back and really consider whether or not our relationships with what we consume are being healthy.

rd95  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Outrage over Cartoon Network’s Thundercats reboot: ‘CalArts style’

We're gonna have to agree to disagree, and this is why. I like that poster. It's colorful, it's stylistic, it's playful, and you can clearly see the DNA from the past material it's building off of. Because I clearly like it and because you clearly don't, we're not going to be able to agree on this issue. Which is fine.

Or at least acknowledge that Japanese animation largely resembles humans.

Realism is not the only qualifier for what is and isn't good art. It can be an aspect of it, but to what degree its embraced is up to the artist and how well the final result is received is up to the person absorbing it. None of these look remotely like real tigers. I think each one is absolutely fantastic though. Their uniqueness helps them stick out to me, makes them memorable.

If I looked at 10 western paintings of tigers, realistically drawn, but with nothing else about them that grabs my attention, I'll quickly forget about them no matter how realistically and skilled they are. It's a balancing act and we each have different preferences as to where we want the fulcrum to be.

Realism is not the only qualifier for what is and isn't good art.

No, but it's a core aspect of an entire school of animation. It's fair to say that it's the only thing Thundercats had going for it, in fact. Watch a few frames; unless we're talking about Snarf, pretty much every character on there is drawn is if they're in a state of permanent flexion. It is, effectively, what makes Thundercats Thundercats (aside from Lion-O's extremely peculiar gender ambivalence).

Look. Seen Metalocalypse?

That's an homage to an aesthetic common to death metal bands. It captures the metal scene well enough to make the visuals a joke of their own. Seen Moonbeam City?

Me, neither. I hear it's terrible. But I can look at that and know that they're shooting straight for a Patrick Nagel/Miami Vice/Gem & The Holograms '80s such that the artwork probably sold the series alone.

And you don't need to know what the fuck a "thundercat" is to know that there should be some thunder, and there should be some cats. And for those who give a shit, what they've got so far is more like whoopie cushion jelly bean.

If you love Sailor Moon, you would want a Sailor Moon remake to look like Sailor Moon, not the Power Puff Girls. Ostensibly, the only thing that separates the two shows is their aesthetic. And the outrage is about "fuck your aesthetic, we're drawing jelly beans now."

rd95  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

I can't believe a comment on a pop culture discussion is what drew me out, but what ever. It's a three day weekend and I'm a bit board.

I agree mostly with what you say, but comparing Steven Universe to Family Guy is like comparing Grave of the Fireflies to Naruto. I'm being a bit hyperbolic, but you get the drift. I've been watching Cartoon Network on and off since it first came on the air and through the years they've had some real hits and some real misses. That said, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Regular Show, Clarence, and The Amazing World of Gumball are all solid story telling shows. The people who complain about Teen Titans Go! and who will eventually complain about Thundercats Roar! are the kind of people who don't want to acknowledge that they're watching a different kind of cartoon with a different story telling goal than the source material. The visuals fit the storytelling and are appropriate. Me personally? I love TTG and I'm kind of excited to see Thundercats Roar just out of curiosity, even though I'm not a Thundercats fan.

Anyway, the people complaining about this kind of stuff don't understand that tastes evolve and with them so do stylistic elements and storytelling techniques. You know what all looks the same at first glance? Midieval Illuminated Manuscripts. You know what else all looks the same at first glance? Filigree and scroll work on antique silver. Know what else all looks the same at first glance? Comics from decade X. I could literally go on forever, but you get the idea.

Just as much as this stuff is similar, once you get to notice them and pay attention to them you can start to really pick out distinct differences and styles.

I bet half the people who are complaining about this loves Japanese Cartoons. You won't hear me say how those all look the same, because I know they don't. But if I did, they'd be quick to tell me how wrong I am.

Missed you, boo. Don't be a stranger. But also don't think your reappearance gives you a bye.

Having had to sit through a fair amount of Family Guy and Steven Universe, I stand by my statements. They're both awful. They're both infantilizing. And they're both drawn with a lackadaisical sloppiness that makes Scooby Doo look like Nausicaa.

No, they're the people who are acknowledging that one style of storytelling is falling out of favor to be replaced by another. They are lamenting the demise of an endangered species. They are decrying the replacement of reefs with caulerpa.

Devolve. FTFY.

You know what looks different? Illuminated and non-illuminated.

You know what looks different? Decorated and undecorated.

Know what else all looks the same at first glance? Comics from decade X.

And when Frank Franzetta gives way to... whatever the fuck this is...

...you can't argue that nothing was lost.

I bet half the people who are complaining about this loves Japanese Cartoons.

Or at least acknowledge that Japanese animation largely resembles humans.

rd95  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

Or at least acknowledge that Japanese animation largely resembles humans.

Realism is not the only qualifier for what is and isn't good art.

Look. Seen Metalocalypse?

rd95  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 9, 2018

I don't want to spoil anybody's party today and I don't think there's an easy way to do this, but I think I'm gonna head on out guys. I honestly and truly love and appreciate every last one of you, but the outside world is calling my name and I think that's where I need to be.

Just know that you're all amazing people and you're all capable of amazing things. Be mindful, be compassionate, and be on your best behavior. The world is lucky to have each and every last one of you and I felt similarly lucky to share your friendship here on Hubski.

~rd95

thenewgreen  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

Man, I’m gonna miss seeing you here rd95! You’re an awesome presence. If/when you find a semblance of balance between the “outside world” and the digital, come back by. Check in and let us know how you’re doing.

Be well. Be awesome. Be you!

tacocat  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wanting to go outside is totally not a reason to delete your account

_refugee_  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

the internet gets in the way of the light

tacocat  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's not physically getting in the way. Dial back the hubski. No need to nuke it from orbit.

mk  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

You are going to be missed, pal. Be well.

We'll leave the light on.

Quatrarius  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

you've been really wonderful here and i'm sorry to see you go - good luck with the outside world, and i'd love to see you again someday

francopoli  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

Take a break and come back in 3-4 months. We'll keep the beer cold.

WanderingEng  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank for sharing your drawing and having spent time here. :)

veen  ·  44 days ago  ·  link  ·

Gonna miss ya buddy. Fare thee well.

rd95  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: veen’s reviews #1: Conspiracy by Ryan Holiday

Yeah. It's a really interesting question, isn't it? On the one hand, I think conspire or not, secret or not, that if people strive for betterment, more often than not that'll be the end result. Provided they do it with care and conviction.

I think one of the interesting things to question is, is striving to do good in secret a good way about it? On the one hand, I think transparency is an important tool because if you're open about what you're doing and why, no one can claim anything bad about your efforts. On the other hand though, if you're open about what you're doing and why, maybe it makes it easier for others who disagree with you to interfere with your efforts.

Like I said, I don't think I've ever heard the word "conspired" in reference to this kind of question, usually because "conspiracy" tends to have a nefarious connotation.

You and lm gave me two absolutely interesting Wikipedia articles to read. They were awesome.

An outdoor antenna is basically the second thing on my list to buy when we get our own place. The only thing that's above it is a plunger, because lets be honest, you don't want to be without one of those.

Hey. I literally used it correctly, both in definition and context. ;)

It was more frustrating than anything. I was also momentarily concerned that maybe since today is Sunday a bunch of local stations got bought up and turned into relay stations or something and they switched over. Fortunately, it turns out that wasn't the case. But it kind of makes me want to see if I can't get some kind of indoor antenna with an even longer range. It'd be cool to get some more channels on purpose.

Indoor antennas are shit. The only way to be serious about it is a big honkin' mast outside.

Go here, play around, see how many directions you need to point. See what colors it's gonna take. Then go here and get sumpin' good. This mammerjammer with a rotator is pretty much the outer limits of what you can bother with. Note that it's more than 9 feet long by more than 8 feet wide.

rd95  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy Saturday Hubski. Have some chatty coyotes.

I love the yipping and the howling of them. Where I used to live, I would have a handful of lucky nights throughout the summer where I could on the steps of my apartment and hear them off in the distance. Obviously I was never afraid, cause they were never right near by, and the door to the apartment was literally just a couple of paces away. In fact, after posting this video, I've probably played it at least a dozen times already, because it makes me nostalgic for those nights.

Coyotes get a pretty bad rap. The attacks they have that involve humans are literally just a handful a year (compare that to the seemingly countless number of dog attacks each year). They're a very intelligent and versatile species, so they're pretty much everywhere and even in a lot of cities believe it or not. While they're used to us they're still very much more afraid of us than we are of them. People also think they're big things, like wolfs, but they're actually pretty small. Most are about twenty to forty pounds or so and come about knee high. You still gotta respect them, because they are wild animals capable of defending themselves, but even knowing how small they are in my head I was still surprised when I saw my first one in the wild. Dude was small.

Chances are, the guys were communicating with each other about your presence or something else, but I don't want to speculate because I'm not a biologist. I can definitely see why it'd put the hairs on the back of your neck up on end though. Especially in the dark of night, it was probably pretty damn scary to be in the middle of all that activity. I'm glad you, the barn animals, and your wild neighbors all survived the encounter though. When I heard a fox howl for the first time, I literally thought it was a woman screaming in the woods. It scared the ever loving crap out of me.

You can't blame me. If you heard that, and didn't know what it was, you'd be scared too.