We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
rd95's comments
rd95  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A Question of Neighborhoods and Waverunners

Interesting idea. I'll have to see if there's a similar program for something like that around here.

rd95  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Energy Star Program For Homes And Appliances Is On Trump's Chopping Block

I've got a pretty passionate hatered for "efficient" appliances though. Energy targets seem to encourage manufacturers to shittify a product core function and create toilets that don't dispose of shit, washers that barely wash, dryers that leave clothes slightly damp... etc. I'd rather just pay the extra energy cost and have things work correctly. I guarantee the most people aren't going to choose the damp setting on their dryer if there is a dry setting, but programs like energy star encourage manufacturers to only have the damp option.

Additionally, if you have to double flush or run the dryer for another 15 minutes, it kind of defeats the original purpose, cause now you've probably used more resources than what was originally saved. Maybe. I dunno. I'm not an engineer.

I talked to the real estate agent yesterday. Apparently for our city, there's some kind of trust that residents on private roads join to put money in for maintenance. Sounds reasonable. Also sounds like something I don't want to do. So thanks for pointing out that this is a thing!

goobster  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Ah. Yeah. Kinda a low-level HOA.

Glad I could be of help...

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 26, 2017

Dala took me to the phone store. I have a BlackBerry PRIV now. The screen is huge and I liked it better than the Pixel and Samsung G8. Hopefully Blackberrys extra security features will come in handy.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

And it's got a real keyboard! Super jealous. Hope it serves you well.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 26, 2017

And yeah, it's a Galaxy 4. I've kept it so long because I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke," but I think we're looking into broke territory if it leaves me worrying about vulnerabilities.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

It appears to be broke.

I say throw cyanogenmod on it; at least that'll get you up to Android 6.

I damn near went this way. I had a Oneplus One and aside from weirdnesses (you could not do a screencap on it for some dumb reason) it's a great little phone. Especially now that their whole Oxygen/Cyanogen dustup is in the past. Instead I discovered that T-Mobile would credit me $350 for having a Pixel so that was a no-brainer.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

And it's got a real keyboard! Super jealous. Hope it serves you well.

veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I'm still happy with my OnePlus Two! They fixed the screencap issue. The size took some getting used to but I love the battery life. Plus, I dropped it from 4ft on the train platform and it only had a minor scratch.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 26, 2017

So you don't think I have a virus on my phone or router? If so, I'll look into getting a new phone ASAP and doing something with this in the meantime.

As for the car, thanks for the advice. Since it hasn't been acting weird, I haven't been too worried. I'll still have the shop give it a look over, but it's nice to know I'm not overlooking something big.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 26, 2017

If I did a factory reset (twice in a day) and Malware Bytes didn't pick up anything and there was nothing in my download history, am I probably okay?

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 26, 2017

Don't take this the wrong way, but that seems like a lot of work and I don't know how comfortable I am running a bunch of apps like those on my phone. Do you think I'm at a pretty high risk of being rooted? If so, I'd almost rather just go out and get a new phone. This one is really starting to show it's age anyhow.

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Don't sweat it, although it does seem to be at odds with you wanting to diagnose the problem. While I doubt that there's any particular danger coming from running a few diagnostic programs, it's your own decision.

Do you think I'm at a pretty high risk of being rooted?

It's not an impossible scenario, but I am not the best person to ask about it. In short: anything can be rooted and it's almost impossible to say either way without thoroughly testing the device.

However, consider this: your phone will turn out to not be rooted. Would the new phone be impervious to the shenanigans you are experiencing at the moment if it would be the case? You might just be bringing a pristine device into a vulnerable network.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 26, 2017

It's an Android and I use Chrome on it. I have Firefox on my Linuxbox with U-Block and I am happy with it. If you think it's a good idea, I'll look into doing the same for my phone, though I didn't know you could get adblockers for phones. I wonder how well they work/use up wireless data.

rjw  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I hope they save data, since adverts usually consist of a lot of images and video and I can tell you right now nobody bothers to compress those things.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A Question of Neighborhoods and Waverunners

That's a really good point about the public/private road. We'll have to ask the real estate agent about that, both for this specific house, and the concept in general. As in, does that mean we have to pay to get it plowed? How does it affect home values? Etc. Etc.

What makes me think it's not the case for this one, is that this city has quite a few private roads, but there's always a sign saying as much and more often than not, they're in newer subdivisions or cul-de-sacs. This is a pretty old neighborhood, so I can't imagine it being private.

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I may be wrong, but "Private Road" is a specific classification of a street, that absolves the city/county from any maintenance responsibilities. Plowing, filling potholes, repaving, plumbing the street with gas, repairing common drainage, etc.

rd95  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·

goobster  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Ah. Yeah. Kinda a low-level HOA.

Glad I could be of help...

rd95  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 26, 2017

Art

Recently I discovered and fell in love with Hale Woodruff’s block prints. They feel so energetic and modern and I love the white lines on black backgrounds that he has going on. It just adds so much to the energy.

A while back, while looking up Folk Art on Wikipedia, I discovered Jose Guadalupe Posada, and let me tell you, his work is crazy cool. It’s very energetic stuff and while he often used skeletons as a theme in a lot of his works, their behaving and posing like everyday people creates a feeling of both being down to earth and otherworldly at the same time. He drew more “normal” stuff too, but man, those skeletons really stand out.

Seriously, words can’t do either of these guys justice. Check them out.

Car Problems?

This weekend I was driving down the highway when I heard a loud, forceful, metalic “ping” in my rear driverside wheel well. When I had my summer tires put on for the year, the tire shop busted one of the wheel bolts. It turns out that for the FR-S they’re pretty crummy, so my first thought was one busted while driving. The family friendly auto-shop that does my car maintenance is closed on the weekends, so I dropped it off at the brake place near work, asked for a tire rotation, and asked them to check out the noise. All of the wheel bolts were intact. They checked all of the wheel wells, suspension, and undercarriage and there’s no sign of damage or impact. Car drives fine. No wobbling, shaking, or weird noises. I’m gonna assume that everything is fine, but I’m getting my oil change next week and I’m gonna mention it. kleinbl00 or lm, any ideas on if it could be something, and if so, what I should ask the guys to check for? Like I said, the ping was loud as fuck.

Phone Malware?

The fucking DailyBeast website on my phone kept on redirecting to a Free IPhone scam website last night, even after I did a system restore, so I ended up doing a second one just to be safe. Malwarebytes shows nothing on the scans. Not one to leave things alone, I looked all over the internet last night and came across two possible scenarios. The scary thing I came across was that maybe somehow the router for our wireless network got hacked and some program changed the DNS settings to exploit Andriod phones. That strikes me as . . . unlikely but it makes sense in a weird way. So I woke Dala up, much to her frustration, to have her reset all of the router settings. The DNS before the reset was (edited per Dala's advice but it looks like the default DNS address that comes with the router) and the DNS after the reset was the same. A little Googling shows me that’s a default DNS for a lot of routers out of the box. So I think we’re safe there.

The more likely scenario is that its just a bunch of ads from some ad network being all fucky and jerk ass because people can’t leave shit alone. If that’s the case, it’s the ad server on the website and not my phone, so both it and the router should be fine. Unless I’m missing something.

I called my dad and sister last night (two very tech savy people), explained the whole scenario before them, and they both say “Yup. Ad Networks being all fucky. Don’t worry about it.” Except, you know, it’s my phone. My E-Mail is on there. I Hubski when I’m on break from work. I need it for 2 Factor Authentication for literally everything I do. So. I’m worrying.

kleinbl00 (again), Devac, bfv, all you other savy computer bros. Any thoughts? I’m wracking my brain here. With the exception of Malwarebytes on my phone, it’s running just Andriod and the apps that came with it from Google, Samsung, and my wireless carrier. My PC runs Linux Mint, nothing extra added. I go only to sites I know, double check sites I don’t know with Norton Safe Web and Google Safe Browsing before going to a website I don’t know. So I’m very careful. No clue what’s on my wife’s windows box. Same for my roommate’s tablet. My wife is the tech pro of the household, so I trust her. My roommate? Well, don’t get me wrong, he’s a cool guy and all, but I let’s just say really wish he’d listen when we tell him about being careful on the internet.

House

Gonna look at it this afternoon. Don’t know if we’re gonna pull the trigger. I’ll share my thoughts tonight or on next week’s Pubski.

Hubski and its users

This is just the occasional reminder that you’re all awesome. :)

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

So... I get ads from dailybeast if I look on mobile. When I do it full'o'cookies, it wants me to buy Underworld:Blood Wars from Best Buy (no idea why). Then the other popup wants me to watch Babylon 5. As I have never professed any interest in either of these pieces of entertainment, nor done any searching related to them, I have to assume it's not using much in the way of cookies.

When I do it in incognito mode, it tries to sell me a Corolla.

I don't know how old your phone is. I don't know what version of Android it's running. I know that I've never seen blinky popup iphone shit on anything I've ever run, but I see it on my inlaws' phones, which are Galaxy S4s probably running Android 4.3.

My suggestion?

You've done a factory reset twice already. Root that shit. Install busybox; install AdAway. It was almost worth the trade-off to have iOS emoji and zero fucking ads back when I was on a OnePlus but as soon as I went Google I figured being in the network and shit would make Google Fi work better (HA!). Now that I'm back on T-Mobile I might just root the fucker again.

Adblock is so nice.

As to the car, it's possible you ran over something metal and it flung it up into the wheel well. You might have heard the object ringing, rather than the car. If you've been able to drive it around worrying about it, you're probably fine - damage from impact generally reveals itself within a day.

I was on the Benelli once. Minding my own business, riding along. Heard a whang and felt something, but things were fine. Went to my gig, did 12 hours mixing Gordon Ramsay, got back to the bike, rear tire was flat. Rolled the bike, found a 4" lag bolt sticking dead nuts out of the center of the rear tire, began a 4-day odyssey to get superbike tires changed on a Saturday in Pasadena. It sucked. But two things became clear: (1) front tires are real good at arranging road detritus in rear-tire-penetrating configurations, particularly when they're only 5-6 feet apart (2) ridiculous damage makes itself known within a day.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

It appears to be broke.

I say throw cyanogenmod on it; at least that'll get you up to Android 6.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

And it's got a real keyboard! Super jealous. Hope it serves you well.

veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I'm not really familiar with Android but here's my standard procedure:

- Check for rootkits (illicit root-level access on the device), you can do it with apps like this one.

- Get detailed DNS info from the device. Network Info II seems like a good choice.

- Check whether or not your phone could have been hijacked, as per this article's explanation. Link to a checker within the article.

If all of this would yield no problems… I'm kinda out of options since I know next to nothing about the platform. I'll defer to more knowledgeble people, but what I wrote above will not harm you to do anyway. I hope you'll get it fixed.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Do you think I'm at a pretty high risk of being rooted?

rjw  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I reckon it's the ad network. Somebody who writes the JavaScript probably missed a semicolon or parenthesis. Are you on Android? Firefox works on mobile and supports uBlock (don't use Adblock, they have a gross "acceptable ads" program which they are using to sell advertising space on other peoples websites).

snoodog  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Ad networks are a main malware payload route it seems. All sorts of legitimate sites will suddenly pop up into App Store and try to run other malicious code. It's really difficult to prevent and makes using an Adblock service almost mandatory. People who sell ads don't really seem to care and a bad ad can run for weeks before it gets pulled

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

rjw  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Republican Lawmaker Who Secretly Created Reddit’s Women-Hating ‘Red Pill’

Yeah. I just did a full factory reset.

Edit: Same thing. Now to scarfe.win. Both sites are identical, free iphone scam. They had the exact same string of letters afterwards. I'm gonna assume it's bad ads, but I'm resetting my phone again just to be safe.

I hate the internet. I really, fucking hate the internet.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I hate the internet. I really, fucking hate the internet.

No you don't. You hate the shit that pops up there sometimes.

rd95  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A Question of Neighborhoods and Waverunners

So I think what you and goobster are saying is that Dala and I are harboring unwarranted, preconceived ideas about Waverunners. We just got home from driving through the neighborhood again and getting some dinner afterwards. Now that I know that yard is there, and expect it, it really does seem like a nice neighborhood again. I wouldn't mind living there.

I am a bit concerned about this market, especially because I'm getting some weird vibes in the job market between talking to people, job hunting, and seeing places close shop both with and without warning. That said, if this house is in good shape it is a really good deal. We're not getting our hopes too high though, because every time we see a "really good deal" and check out the house, we see a house with a "really big, fucking NOPE." We've slowed our search down to a crawl though, partially because of some of the warning signs we're seeing. Our current living situation is getting pretty cramped though and it might be hard to ride out for much longer. (I ran that last sentence by Dala to make sure she was okay with me posting it. I don't want to disparage our roommates, we love them to death, but sometimes that love can be stretched pretty thin.)

Edit: Also, in all honesty, if I saw a Beetle on blocks in a neighborhood, I'd see that as a plus. One of the houses does have what looks to be an Old Cutlass with fresh paint . . . sooo . . .

I'm saying you are harboring warranted, preconceived ideas about Waverunners but that your ideas may reflect your bias, rather than an actual indicator. I'm also saying that you are not alone in your bias.

Separate your current living situation from the financial burdens of homeownership. Do not confuse a comfort decision with a capital investment. Sure - it will suck to pay an extra $500 to not have roommates when you could be putting that towards a mortgage. But if your home value drops $20k in a year you came out $14k ahead.

And talk to blackbootz. He seems to have scored a major coup through the judicious application of government largesse. If you can buy a house without participating in the housing market, you win.

blackbootz  ·  20 hours ago  ·  link  ·

rd95 If you make less than $32k a year and want to be my neighbor in Baltimore, there is an opportunity of a lifetime in the form of a subsidy. Those might be too specific a set of hoops for your liking (urban life, an income qualification, an owner-occupancy requirement as part of the subsidy, etc. etc.). There were two addresses as part of the program I applied for. The second one is still waiting for its future hubby and wife.

rd95  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·

kleinbl00  ·  20 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Bodymore Murderland stereotyping aside, I found Baltimore to be charming. Far nicer than Boston, NY or Portland ME.

Holy shit you know it's one hell of a shithole when they won't even post pictures of the indoors.

lol. That's like half the houses listed in our price range. We've learned long ago that if there are four photos or less for a house, it's not worth seeing.

The site hijacks my phone, forcing me to this website.

Possible virus or shitty ad?

Edit: It does it when I go to other Daily Beast locations too. Nothing shows up on Mal-Ware Bytes. The site is untested both by Norton Safeweb as well as Google Safe Browsing.

demure  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

The daily beast is fine, you might want to have a closer look if your phone is compromised.

Your phone has some whack-ass shit going on, son.

rd95  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah. I just did a full factory reset.

I hate the internet. I really, fucking hate the internet.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I hate the internet. I really, fucking hate the internet.

No you don't. You hate the shit that pops up there sometimes.