lm's comments

Perhaps skywave propagation? (See also E-skip.)

CB radio operators sometimes experience the right weather conditions for this to occur; using ionosphere propagation to communicate over long distances is known as "shooting skip"!

lm  ·  209 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Look what I got in the mail

Thanks insomniasexx!

lm  ·  213 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Worthy Is the Lamb

[Trump's election shows that] it doesn’t matter if your leader is a liar, a philanderer and a narcissist. It doesn’t matter if he is cruel to the weak and bigoted toward the outsider.

[Clinton self-righteously portrays the election as] us enlightened few against those racist many; us modern citizens against those backward gun-toting troglodytes.

WHICH IS IT, MR. BROOKS? WHICH IS IT?

You can't in one breath say "Trump destroyed the morals of (my favorite) party" and in the next breath say "criticizing the morals of people who voted for Trump is 'triablism'"!

lm  ·  215 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 14, 2018

Grace passed away last night. Bye, little friend.

Describing people protesting racism as a "lynch mob" is really something special.

I imagine he'd point to the explicitly extrajudicial but not implicitly prejudicial origins of the term which would further highlight his utter inability to grasp context.

lm  ·  221 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 7, 2018

Our chickens do fly. They definitely prefer to just run around but if one ends up far away from the flock they'll fly over to hang with their buddies. When our rooster gets away he'll fly when chased -- once I was chasing him through the woods and upon reaching a clearing he flew up about 15 feet high for...maybe 50 feet or so? Definitely far more than a 1 foot tall animal can jump.

I think they figured this out around 16 weeks old; Pig (aptly named) attempted to fly from their brooder box to the kitchen table because we were eating pork chops and she wanted more.

lm  ·  229 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: We Have to Build the Future Out of the Past

I don't think she's arguing that you should be friends with weev -- you're right, neither of you are in the same tribe and neither of you want to be in a tribe with each other. She's arguing that since she's already in a tribe with weev that she's better off maintaining a relationship with him rather than trying to kick him out of their common tribe or, more likely, removing herself from the tribe, as that seems to be how that sort of thing typically ends up.

Nowhere in this paean to St. Augustine is there argument or evidence that all this lovey-dovey changed anyone's opinions one iota.

Outliers? Maybe so. From a personal perspective, though, my views on most political and social things have changed completely over the past 10 years, and I'm disgusted by some of the positions I used to argue pretty strongly for. I can definitely say that I would not have been able to make that change if I wasn't around people who took other viewpoints and, often unintentionally, educated me on a lot of stuff.

I dunno. I don't think I'd be friends with weev, but I do think that long-lasting social change has to include changing peoples' minds.

She is. That ain't the royal "we." Nowhere does she say "I have decided" she consistently speaks about what we must do. It's not about who we already know, it's about "we must give love to those whom the gods put in our paths." In bold. In green.

The stupidest thing about this sort of argument is it presumes that we shun and upbraid those we meet for holding views contrary to our own as if we treat acquaintances the same as we treat random passers-by in a Facebook thread. We don't. We all know this, we all acknowledge this. As humans we bend over fucking backwards to be civil and commiserating with those we must share space with. The closer our orbits the more empathy we show in a linear relationship. This is exactly the mechanism used in your links: Both Megan Phelps Roper and Derek Black were apostates. Both of them lost their faith individually, not through direct confrontation (Megan Roper over the horrific realization that Westboro Baptists could celebrate the death of Brittany Muphy, Derek Black by being publicly shunned for his beliefs and privately welcomed for everything else). Sure, love the sin and hate the sinner and I'm really glad there were Jewish students around willing to sit at dinner with Derek Black but fuckin'A, it wasn't coffee klatsches that got him to renounce racism it was the unbending insanity of the home life that condemned him for those same coffee klatsches.

“Derek,” a friend responded. “I feel like you are a representative of a movement you barely buy into. You need to identify with more than 1/50th of a belief system to consider it your belief system.”

You can certainly change someone's mind if their mind isn't made up. You can certainly shift someone's allegiance if their allegiances are unchallenged. But all this assumes that the people you're interacting with aren't truly committed to their positions.

I'm gonna be human to people who deserve humanity. Sociopaths? I've met a few. No thanks.

lm  ·  229 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 28, 2018

Buffalo Trace is what I typically recommend to people who want to try bourbon. Elijah Craig and Bulleit are also good (albeit a bit pricier). Four Roses is a blend of whiskeys and has some really complex flavors, if that's what you're after. I don't drink a lot of Irish whiskey but I have a bottle of Bushmills that is quite nice. (Don't ask me about scotch; it's incompatible with a grad student salary.)

lm  ·  236 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 21, 2018

Birds

Annie re-joined the flock on Sunday and moved back inside Monday. We thought it was just one bird (Pig, an apt name) pecking her, but it seems that at least a couple others are also guilty. (We brought Pig in when we took Annie out.)

She was supposed to go back out again tomorrow with some Vick's on her head to keep the other birds from pecking her, but today when we got home she'd made an absolute mess of her cage and banged her head up again, poor thing. I think a mouse made its way into our basement/walls and the sound of its claws spooked her.

So now she's sitting on the arm of the couch and eating bits of dorito out of my hand. (We spoil her when she's inside...) I know she misses her feathered friends, but I don't know if I want to risk her getting pecked up again before her new injuries heal completely...

Life

Things have felt off for whatever reason lately (probably a combination of stress, too much work, and trying to take care of the people and animals in my life). Today I finally regained my motivation for technical writing, so I'm trying to finish up Yet Another Floating Point Explainer for my students to read.

Recently cracked open my Pictures for Sad Children archive and wow, that has just gotten better with age. I hope the author is doing well, wherever they are now...

Edit Been thinking about my two project cars out in the barn (well, one project, one accident repair) and wondering when I'll have time to get them moved to the basement and fixed. I especially feel bad for the project car, as its body is in great shape but the previous owner made an absolute mess of the engine. Shame to see it sit and gather dust.

Research

I have an undergrad student assistant! I have no idea what I'm going to have them work on!

I desperately need to take some time to do actual thinking about my work, but I doubt I'll be able to do that this week. It's frustrating to know exactly what I need to do next and to just not have time to do it.

I spoke with my advisor about publishing on Arxiv.org and she liked the idea! Hopefully I'll be able to get my paper up there soon so people can finally read it.

Devac  ·  234 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
lm  ·  245 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 265th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

R.E.M. - Electrolite:

A friend gave me a CD copy of New Adventures in Hi-Fi the summer before I got married, and it ended up in my car's CD player for much of that summer. I was staying in his basement in Kansas City for an internship and my wife lived in St. Louis. I have a lot of fond memories of listening to that album turned up loud so I could hear it over the 4000 RPM drone of my car's engine on the 4+ hour drive between me and her. Reminds me of being in love with her, of the joy of driving my MR2, of the tired-and-empty-and-happy feeling of driving around KC's interstates at 2 AM when no one else is out.

lm  ·  248 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Mourning John Perry Barlow, the Bard of the Internet

I definitely feel that places like Hubski are still working hard to make the dream of Cyberspace come to fruition.

lm  ·  248 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 7, 2018

Absolutely! May tomorrow be better for you.

lm  ·  249 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 7, 2018

I think it's just general public speaking anxiety but I haven't thought too much about it since I usually am busy prepping right before and so long as I don't just sit there and think about my feelings I can keep calm.

Sharing knowledge is absolutely a learned skill. If you can, get involved with tutoring as soon as possible, even if it's just informal hanging-out-in-a-department-lounge-and-talking-to-other-students tutoring. You get one-on-one time with students and most of them are comfortable saying that they have no idea what you mean by what you just said. It'll help you develop the ability to explain the same idea a bunch of different ways.

I'm a grad student so I just teach college students, which has a couple of advantages: they're (slightly) more mature than teenagers, and they're in school to some extent because they want to be there. So, I can't speak to dealing with teenagers in particular.

I mostly teach math and programming. I like to motivate material by introducing a question students don't have the tool to answer yet or by drawing analogy to something they already know about (e.g. when talking about rational expressions I'll start by talking about how polynomials kind of-sort of behave like integers, point out that we can make fractions from integers, and then get in to how rational expressions work).

Another thing that's fun to do is to talk about the history around an idea -- who made it, what were they trying to do, why is it the way that it is, etc. People like stories and having a little narrative to go along with an idea helps them remember it better and might even help them see the bigger picture.

Just about anyone can read Wikipedia and get factual knowledge on a topic -- it's your ability to provide context and build relationships with other ideas that is really valuable to students.

Jokes and terrible puns are also great!

FirebrandRoaring  ·  248 days ago  ·  link  ·

In a bad place today, so I'll just say:

Thank you for sharing the insight. I'd love to continue some other time, if you're okay with it.

lm  ·  248 days ago  ·  link  ·

Absolutely! May tomorrow be better for you.

lm  ·  250 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 7, 2018

What kind of teaching do you aspire to do?