Chromatic_Jon's comments
Chromatic_Jon  ·  959 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Programmers: Stop Calling Yourselves Engineers

This article seems to operating with a definition for engineer that is much different than mine. So I went to wikipedia.

An engineer is a practitioner of engineering, concerned with applying scientific knowledge, mathematics, and ingenuity to develop solutions for technical, societal and commercial problems. Engineers design materials, structures, and systems while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost.

It certainly seems like a programmer would meet that criteria.

Chromatic_Jon  ·  959 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Help!

The rabbit hole goes pretty deep...

God damn, his is tight! thanks for hippin' me to this guy.

Composers definitely have intentions when writing a piece and, if they're any good at all, some of those thoughts and feelings are conveyed to the listener. However, I think the issue is less about what the music was designed to do and more about people's general perception of music. Here's two things that I've observed and believe to be true usually:

1. Repetitive music is harder to ignore.

2. Music with words in your language is harder to ignore.

If I put on music to concentrate on something, it would need to be music that can be temporarily ignored and then refocused on when I finish the micro-task at hand. Rinse and repeat and those moments eventually build up to your finished essay or math homework. I'd say this is why concentration music, for me, is almost always classical or jazz. Don't misunderstand me, I have a deep affection for both of those genres and have been moved deeply by certain tunes from both of them. But that doesn't stop me from admitting that often they work equally well as background.

Chromatic_Jon  ·  1018 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Try some LSD

Here, I'll trade ya. Not KEXP but I think the duo has a similar vibe to metric, especially when they're doing they're electric stuff.

someguyfromcanada  ·  1018 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nice. Thanks.

Chromatic_Jon  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are your best reccomendations for history books?

Beautiful, I think I'll order it tomorrow.

Good to know

How would you describe the guy's bias?

Unabashedly, counterculturally liberal.

Chromatic_Jon  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good to know

So I've heard it said that many Islamic cultures were at the forefront of scientific investigation sometime after the Greeks but before Europeans. I never hear about any specific Islamic scholars or their accomplishments though. Does the book touch on anything like that?

Well, by "many Islamic cultures" we're talking primarily about the Abbasid Caliphate, who had a religious arrangement whereby scholars were must-have prestige employees because interpreting the Koran was a great way to find new truths and you had to be scholarly for that. As such, knowledge flourished... until the inevitable fundamentalist backlash. Not that things ever got as bad as the Dark Ages but the Golden Age of Islam was at its peak while Europe was at its low.

And yes. The book covers Islam from Mohammed to about 2010.

Chromatic_Jon  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·

Beautiful, I think I'll order it tomorrow.

I'd love some good academic books too. Long books and big words don't scare me. The only thing is I'll probably get read them farther in the future. It only seems to make sense to go through the shorter digestible one's before diving into a phone book written for experts. Plus I'm already in the midst of like three other thick pieces of tree. I hate to spread myself too thin because I just end up not finishing the books.

Much appreciated. By the way, have you read Chaos by James Gleick? It's an exposition on Chaos Theory for the layperson (which I realize you probably aren't after glancing at your profile). He goes pretty in depth about Hendrik Lorentz and the origin of your username.

I've got no answer for you, but to be honest if the CIA didn't consistently do things that people found baffling they wouldn't be much of an intelligence agency.

someguyfromcanada  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·

So they read Sun Tzu as well? :)

Hahaha I just looked it up and the CIA has an official position on the book. Don't know if this makes it more or less credible but I'm still down to read it.

Check it Y'all:

someguyfromcanada  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·

Whoa. Apparently the CIA considers it credible enough to publish a rebuttal. I actually find it hard to believe they would do that. Why wouldn't they just ignore it?

It made a pretty big splash when it came out. The CIA had also just been "dismantled" by the Bush administration, itself at a low ebb, and the damn WMDs were very much not going to be found. Legacy of Ashes pretty much captured the lowest PR nadir of the CIA since Carter cleaned house, and it captured it at a time when the country was eager to read about large 3-letter agencies getting their comeuppance.

Chromatic_Jon  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·

someguyfromcanada  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·

So they read Sun Tzu as well? :)

Ooh have you made it through Genghis Kahn? I've heard so many legends about the man but never read a single book on him and certainly never covered him in school.

ellius  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes, it's a very short book. I listed good digestable books rather than more academic history, though I have a Master's in American history and can give you some of that too if you like. These are all very good easy reads and a great way to get into the field in a meaningful way.

The Mongols are definitely worth reading about. They're something of a unique story in world history. No other empire was quite like theirs.

Chromatic_Jon  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·

Legacy of Ashes looks right up my alley. Thanks

Chromatic_Jon  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·

Check it Y'all:

someguyfromcanada  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·

Chromatic_Jon  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·

someguyfromcanada  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·

So they read Sun Tzu as well? :)