Short and sweet this week. For those in the US -- get out and vote this midterm election!
The New York Times Magazine wrote an amazing longform piece on the failure of domestic counterterrorism strategy to stem the rise of white nationalism in the US.
- In May, I called up the Harris County district attorney’s office to ask why someone who had been in jail in Florida on $1 million bond had, upon extradition, been released on $5,000 bond. Joshua Phanco, a prosecutor who at the time was in charge of Fears’s case, was alarmed by the call. He vaguely recalled that Fears had been in prison in Florida, but he wasn’t aware that Fears had been charged with attempted murder, or that he had anything to do with white supremacy. “This is the first I’m hearing this,” he told me
- 1. Playing hard to get will get you nothing.
2. The size of your voting bloc matters.
3. Voting for the lesser of two evils is great — that way you get less evil.
4. You’re (probably) better informed about politics than the average American voter.
5. If voting changed anything, they’d make [voting] illegal — and they are [making it illegal].