wasoxygen's comments
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
wasoxygen  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Horseshoe crab blood is an irreplaceable medical marvel

So reliant is the modern biomedical industry on this blood that the disappearance of horseshoe crabs would instantly cripple it. And in recent years, horseshoe crabs, particularly in Asia, have come under a number of threats: habitat loss as seawalls replace the beaches where they spawn, pollution, overfishing for use as food and bait. Horseshoe crabs bled for the biomedical use in the United States are returned to the ocean, but an estimated 50,000 also die in the process every year.

There is another way though—a way for modern medicine to make use of modern technology rather than the blood of an ancient animal. A synthetic substitute for horseshoe-crab blood has been available for 15 years. This is a story about how scientists quietly managed to outdo millions of years of evolution, and why it has taken the rest of the world so long to catch up.

The Last Days of the Blue-Blood Harvest

wasoxygen  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 2, 2018

Bad wreck on the bike trail this morning. A jogger waved a warning as I approached the scene of a half-dozen EMTs loading someone onto a stretcher. I chose to exercise the bystander effect and talked with the jogger some distance from the site.

He hadn't seen the incident, but said the guy "screamed pretty loud" when they moved him. It's a tricky and tight blind corner at the bottom of downslopes in two directions, where the trail turns under I-66.

Yesterday afternoon I saw a close call at another bad spot, a sharp corner at the bottom of a hill where I have previously seen the aftermath of a collision. This time, a guy passed me on the downslope with an electric assist bike. You would think e-bikers would be happy to brake since they have the motor to help them get back up to speed, but in my experience they seem very protective of their momentum. He cut the corner pretty sharp, probably crossing the center line, and his shoulder came within an inch or two of the shoulder of a pedestrian walking the other way. The walker, engrossed in a smartphone world, never knew what didn't hit him. Would have been good for the highlight reel but I had earlier stopped the camera when trying to make sure it was on.

Be safe out there.

e-bikers are dilettantes. They're car commuters that get sick of traffic and they don't give a fuck about anybody else. They also generally buy less battery than they need assuming they can muscle their way the rest of the way but then realize they're pussies and spend the rest of their riding lives cranky.

I much prefer the homeless on their weed-whacker-powered Frankenstein mopeds to the goddamn e-bikers. At least the homeless guys smile and wave as they leave you in a cloud of 2-stroke oil.

wasoxygen  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Review of Bryan Caplan’s The Case Against Education

Lately I've learned to feel less bad about not reading these "policy" books. Sure, it's arguably better to read every chapter of Capital in the Twenty-First Century than look at animated gifs, but by consuming a variety of reviews, blog arguments, and interviews I can get a pretty good idea of the contents (as well as I would remember some time after reading, anyway) and also a rounded view of how the arguments were received and criticized. Mainly, I can enjoy exposure to a lot more books, and when the content-to-length ratio seems high enough I'll read it anyway.

Caplan got a lot of traction in the circles I follow, and some from a wider audience; he wished for more in Leftist Lessons of The Case Against Education. I picked this review because it gave the most complete synopsis of the book that I have seen, and was also remarkable for the way the book anticipated the objections in the review.

The wishful thinking about where Ed dollars could be better spent seems like a weak point on both sides.

veen  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

I did that actually! Wait, lemme see if I took a pic of that.

Edit: never mind, I forgot my charger on my trip in 2010 so my camera battery was dead at that time. But I did wonder why the drawing looked so familiar, and it's because of that climb. Really cemented the magic of that place... I remember finding it incredibly hard to comprehend the sheer size of the St. Peter.

wasoxygen  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: MyEtherWallet DNS Server Hacked, Users Lose 215 ETH to Phishing Scam

You'll never guess who did it!

If a scammer gets their hands on the domain, users trusting MyEtherWallet could easily be tricked into sending all of their ether (or other Ethereum assets) to a scammer.

On Radical Markets --Apr 20, 2018

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
wasoxygen  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Doing science right: Have there been previous human civilizations on Earth?

The roughly contemporary architecture at Jericho is devoid of artistic merit or large-scale sculpture, and Çatalhöyük, perhaps the most famous Anatolian Neolithic village, is 2,000 years later.

At present Göbekli Tepe raises more questions for archaeology and prehistory than it answers. It remains unknown how a force large enough to construct, augment, and maintain such a substantial complex was mobilized and compensated or fed in the conditions of pre-sedentary society.

historyarch  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

Klaus Schmidt, who began the excavations, noted similarities in stone tools at Gobeckli Tepe and other sites which was one of his methods for dating. (see: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gobekli-tepe-the-worlds-first-temple-83613665/). Some of the male figures bear similarities to those found elsewhere as well. So clearly, Gobeckli Tepe was not isolated. From the Gobeckli website, the archaeologists date the most recent phase to be 9,600-8,000 BC (see" https://tepetelegrams.wordpress.com/the-research-project/ which also notes the comparison of carved figures). Dating these sites is imprecise but that could indicate only a 500 year gap which may actually be much less if estimates at Gobeckli Tepe and Çatalhöyük are off-- which is a distinct possibility.

Further, much of Gobeckli Tepe is unexcavated so it is risky to draw too many conclusions. It may have been abandoned in 9,000 or even 8,000 BC. There also may be other as yet undiscovered sites that will establish a clear line of development. Jericho and Çatalhöyük suffered devastating destruction in ancient times, there may have been much more sophisticated artistic endeavors that were destroyed, taken away or have yet to be found. Gobeckli Tepe was intentionally buried which likely means more is preserved.

I agree with everyone here that Gobeckli Tepe is fascinating, leaves us with many more questions than answers and may imply a different societal evolution than previously supposed.

wasoxygen  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Everything you ever need to know about how the eye sees colors

Puffin beaks are fluorescent

Unlike humans, birds have always known about the extra colours in the puffin bill. That's because they can see a whole other dimension of hues, said Dunning.

Humans see colours that are a mix of red, blue and green light, he notes, while birds have a fourth colour in the mix — a property called tetrachromatic vision.

wasoxygen  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 18, 2018

Last call for players in Hubski Game III of Diplomacy. Two slots remain open and the game starts tomorrow night.

Join code: hubski

My favorite part is when mk accidentally sends private dispatches to the public channel.

Quatrarius  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

i joined and also seem to have started the game by doing so:

nowaypablo

wasoxygen

mk

zebra2

spencerflem

flac

pings for everybody just in case they miss the fact that it just started

mk  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Italy again!?

Quatrarius  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

i know, right? that's like 3 times in a row

mk  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Così è la vita.

zebra2  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have no idea what I’m doing. To war!

nowaypablo  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

I stole a spot, but if someone is really good at the game and really wants to play instead, pm me and I can securely send you my account login, it doesnt compromise any other accounts I have on the internet.

flac  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh shit! Time to bone up on rules...

mk  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·

You can do it!

flac  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

Seems I can ;)

spencerflem  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for the heads up!

mk  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Or do I only pretend to accidentally send them?!

Quatrarius  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

is webdiplomacy down for anybody else

i was on it this morning but i can't connect now

edit: it says now that they're going down for a backup so mystery solved

nowaypablo  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

I fear that my participation in this game will ruin my relationship with everyone involved.

Merlin  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Woah! I had no idea you could play online! I've been looking for people IRL to try!

mk  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Join us next conflagration!

Merlin  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Is it ongoing? How familiar would I have to be with the rules to start out? I have the rulebook I could crack into!

mk  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes, it takes a couple of weeks to play out. I'll make sure we ping you on the next.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
wasoxygen  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 11, 2018

The intro is a good place to start:

I figured things out as I went along during the first game. Jump in and learn!

spencerflem  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

^^ Theres really not many rules: just 2 types of units and all they can do is move or support