wasoxygen's comments
wasoxygen  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 14, 2018

Nice work! I am pretty sure I understand the problem statement... I am still working on #357, thanks for the tips!

We had some fun with the Collatz Conjecture earlier.

Devac  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Don't mention it. Though, I hope that I didn't end up spoiling the problem for you.

We had some fun with the Collatz Conjecture earlier.

And I managed to miss that thread, huh? Well, then check this out: https://imgur.com/a/77NLR

Each image consists of Collatz paths of equal lengths. I'll try to make it into a gif at some point. Though, I'd rather provide data for people who know anything about making stuff presentable.

wasoxygen  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are your favourite podcasts?

EconTalk can be wonky but often has interesting guests. You (and goobster and BLOB_CASTLE) might enjoy the interview with Marian Goodell, CEO of the Burning Man Project. She describes the history, how they price tickets, how they catch crashers, how attendees get water and what happens to the waste, and how sales are discouraged.

elizabeth  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'll give that a listen, thanks!

wasoxygen  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: When Elephants Weep

The author bio inside the back cover is intriguing: Masson has a Ph.D. in Sanskrit from Harvard, and was briefly projects director of the Sigmund Freud Archives. "The documents he found there on Freud's approach to child abuse created a major controversy in psychoanalysis."

flagamuffin  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·

He's a nut from a family of nuts, but also a polymath -- which is to say, the perfect person to run the Freud Archives. Psychoanalysis isn't real so who cares anyway.

wasoxygen  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What is a post you have made that didn't get the discussion you were hoping for?

Great question. You have plenty to choose from, what's yours?

blackbootz  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·

One website that got me thinking on the subject of increasing the wealth of localities was the blog Strong Towns. I think you've shared an article of theirs. It's pretty straightforward, libertarian-leaning economics applied to the funding of construction projects, like the observation that the federal government attracts jockeying local politicians with sexy spending projects that leave the maintenance bill at the feet of state and local governments (who are woefully underestimating said maintenance's expense). But here's a sample: A Utah Republican might have the best urban transportation plan. It's a timely article considering that infrastructure is one of the things everyone vaguely wants to accomplish and Trump is pawning off on Congress to get done. That article got only one share, but this one had hubski buzzing.

wasoxygen  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fish Feel Pain. Now What?

wasoxygen  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 3, 2018

Got a free shirt!

I often record my commute with the Charity Miles app, getting a corporate sponsor to pitch a few coins to Habitat For Humanity while I enjoy riding my bike. (The Hubski team has recorded 1790 miles so far and could use some help!)

Now and then there's a promotion. The t-shirt is cool, but a free hormone test kit was an unexpected surprise. I haven't overcome my reluctance to jab four fingers with needles, but I'm curious to see my numbers.

For the new year I am following veen's example, avoiding distractions and aiming to read more. First book finished this year was The News: A User's Manual, and was about as expected, though it got me to delete a bunch of apps, including some foreign newspaper apps that were supposed to help me practice language but just bugged me with headline alerts I had already seen in English.

The Road to Wigan Pier is wholesome misery literature that makes frozen toes on the way to work seem like no big deal.

AnSionnachRua  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·

The Road to Wigan Pier is often overlooked and - as you say - a real snapshot of misery. All the moreso because it's nonfiction.

wasoxygen  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy New Year everyone!

They promised a big party. Looks like they are having one.

wasoxygen  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What Can Be Learned in Key West?: New Pics, Scroll Down

Still there.