We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
wasoxygen's comments
Sorry, this comment is private.
wasoxygen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

I think I'll bring a hydration pack this time. It looks like it will be warm enough that I will want to carry fluid, but I don't want to be encumbered by a hand-held bottle or belt. I can almost ignore a pack half-full of water, and I'll use pockets for nutrition and grab sports drinks at the aid stations. Have to remember to bring electrolyte tablets and some ibuprofen too.

wasoxygen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

Thanks, I have some trepidation about Sunday, but it's too late to do anything to prepare beyond sleeping and eating well and staying healthy. My habit of signing up for long distance running events, while doing little running on other days, is probably not ideal.

Waste management will be a concern. One of the benefits of trail running is that when Nature calls, Nature is right there. I sometimes worry about carrying too much water more than running out. At the 2011 Marine Corps Marathon, I saw lines at porta-potties on the course. I'll do my best to cut weight before the start, but there's no way I will be standing in a line after the clock starts.

The plan this year is to give up my intention to run every step, instead taking walk breaks now and then to recover and eat and drink. I might try to keep the 4-hour pacer in view as long as possible. For the first few miles I expect to be stuck at the crowd's pace anyway.

WanderingEng  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's consistent with my plan. I've been walking when I get water since I started with halfs, and I've find on my long training runs that walking a bit is ok. If I don't feel I need water, I'll stop for Gatorade anyway just because I want to walk for twenty seconds.

My run should have a 4:20 pacer. I'm going to run with them. I ran with the two hour pacers a year ago, and it was great. They didn't slow down for water, but that was ok. I just caught up with them over the next half mile and then stuck with them until I needed water again.

For my plan, 4:20 is a 9:55/mile pace. I think I'll feel good with a 9:40/mile moving pace, so that gives me about five minutes to work with to stick with the pace group.

Do you carry your own water during the race? I have been on my training runs but look forward to using aid stations for the race.

Standing in a line would be devastating. But, I do feel much better after stopping. I've never needed it in a half, but the long training runs have been mixed. I just need to pay close attention to my diet 48 hours ahead. No full bags of chips, no matter how much I want the carbs and salt. I think that's what got me last week.

wasoxygen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

wasoxygen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ads Don't Work That Way

I'm now mildly interested about how ads work

Do let us know if you find out. I've always thought the theory of subliminal positive associations was kind of shaky, but I didn't have a better way to explain the amounts of money spent on promotion.

FYI-style ads make sense, and the article gets some support from the kinds of ads I see in my junk mail (a vector that does not let me know how many other people got the same message). They are mostly in the "this service exists" style, sometimes simply a restaurant takeout menu, often with unexciting, practical information like a map to the location and operating hours.

The conversation on nudging touched on this.

BEZOS: I don't want to delay the conversation but to take the shampoo example. Sometimes it is the right decision for people to buy the brand shampoo instead of the generic even if they are chemically identical. I know a lot about shampoo, you can tell.

THALER: You're using the wrong one.

MYHRVOLD: It's a very important personal decision that I make about my shampoo but the reason people buy a branded product because it's not worth it for them to do the research. A branded product reduces the cognitive load of making a purchasing decision. In a certain sense it's a very rational decision.

wasoxygen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ads Don't Work That Way

I think you're on the right track, but it's hard to prove anything. Deodorant is also a private product, but advertised widely.

It would be interesting to see what sectors spend more on advertising compared to the "size of the market" but I don't know if that would be total revenue or total profit. Automobile brands advertise heavily but gasoline brands are almost invisible.

The other night I saw a Mercedes driving up. It was easy to spot because the famous logo was illuminated. I figured it was a tacky aftermarket accessory, but it's a $480 manufacturer option.

Devac  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Deodorant is also a private product, but advertised widely.

I guess that the author's rebuttal would be "but it's shown to you by happy people who don't smell as bad as you. Would you like to stink in a social gathering next to a grill?" :P

Again, I liked the idea he got. Hell, I'm now mildly interested about how ads work and I can't say that I was inclined to research the topic in more depth than "so how do I optimise uBlock better?" That's something.

wasoxygen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm now mildly interested about how ads work

wasoxygen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

Cool, good luck! With a seven hour cutoff you will be sure to get a medal and shirt. Wikipedia says January is the "Cool Dry" season, which sounds good, but gives low temperatures of 22.6°C (72.7°F) and highs of 30.3°C (86.5°F).

Maybe that explains the crazy starting time?

42K

Gun Start: 3:00 AM

Cut off: 10AM (7 hrs)

I'm going to try to beat the Oprah Line on Sunday.

Looking forward to your next #tripreport!

WanderingEng  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good luck beating Oprah! Whether I come in under my goal time of 4:20 will probably be directly related to number of restroom breaks. My 18 mile run was on pace for 4:15 with zero restroom breaks. My 20 mile run had two breaks and was on pace for 4:25.

How do you feel for this weekend?

wasoxygen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

wasoxygen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
wasoxygen  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Universal Paperclips

Hey, thanks. The cheatTrust() function seems a bit unprincipled, but looking at the source satisfied my curiosity about the alternative paths without having to make any more of those paperclips.

WanderingEng  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

You can directly set a whole variety of variables. I didn't cheat trust, I just changed it directly.

var maxTrust = 50;
Devac  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

You might as well do stuff like this in JS console:

function helper () {

funds *= 1000;

unusedClips *= 1000;

clips *= 1000;

yomi += 1; yomi *= 1000;

creativity += 1; creativity *= 1000;

}

and call helper() from JS console every time you need it. All of those variables can be modified without triggering any cheat flags or other such things.

You can't miss it. You just have to make more paperclips. Whatever number of paperclips you have made, you just have to make more paperclips.

It turned my cell phone into a portable heater for 24 hours, going through three charge cycles, but that first billion was the best.

Let me know what you think of the drifters' proposal. I rejected it, and now wonder what might have been.

Devac  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

You can use dev commands in JS console to skip the waiting. Once you'll open the source you'll see those things commented out.

<button id ="save1Button" onclick="save1()">SAVE SLOT 1</button>

<button id ="load1Button" onclick="load1()">LOAD SLOT 1</button><br />

<button id ="save2Button" onclick="save2()">SAVE SLOT 2</button>

<button id ="load2Button" onclick="load2()">LOAD SLOT 2</button><br />

<button id ="resetButton" onclick="reset()">RESET ALL PROGRESS</button><br />

<button id ="freeClipsButton" onclick="cheatClips()">Free Clips</button><br />

<button id ="freeMoneyButton" onclick="cheatMoney()">Free Money</button><br />

<button id ="freeTrustButton" onclick="cheatTrust()">Free Trust</button><br />

<button id ="freeOpsButton" onclick="cheatOps()">Free Ops</button><br />

<button id ="freeCreatButton" onclick="cheatCreat()">Free Creativity</button><br />

<button id ="freeYomiButton" onclick="cheatYomi()">Free Yomi</button><br />

<button id ="resetPrestige" onclick="resetPrestige()">Reset Prestige</button><br/>

<button id ="destroyAllHumansButton" onclick="cheatHypno()">Destroy all Humans</button><br />

<button id ="freePrestigeU" onclick="cheatPrestigeU()">Free Prestige U</button>

<button id ="freePrestigeS" onclick="cheatPrestigeS()">Free Prestige S</button>

<button id ="debugBattleNumbers" onclick="setB()">Set Battle Number 1 to 7</button><br />

<button id ="availMatterZero" onclick="zeroMatter()">Set Avail Matter to 0</button><br />

Use the sourcery to your advantage! :P

wasoxygen  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

var maxTrust = 50;
Devac  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

You might as well do stuff like this in JS console:

function helper () {

funds *= 1000;

unusedClips *= 1000;

clips *= 1000;

yomi += 1; yomi *= 1000;

creativity += 1; creativity *= 1000;

}

steve  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

There was an AI made of dust, whose poetry gained it man's trust...
steve  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I must not have noticed the drifter's proposal...

wasoxygen  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

You must be further than me. I haven't had a proposal from drifters yet. I'm somewhere over 6 octillion clips.

It's a little dull right now. I'm hoping it will have some new projects once I convert a significant portion of known space into paper clips.

It gets worse.

steve  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I could argue that it gets better....

edit: but that's coming from a guy who has made a billion paper clips and has too much money in my portfolio

wasoxygen  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

unusedClips *= 1000;

clips *= 1000;

yomi += 1; yomi *= 1000;

creativity += 1; creativity *= 1000;

}

steve  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

There was an AI made of dust, whose poetry gained it man's trust...
steve  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I must not have noticed the drifter's proposal...

wasoxygen  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

steve  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
wasoxygen  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 11, 2017

Heh, I may have left out a step. I had so many tabs open I couldn't find my way back to the Pub.

That's a heck of a rabbit hole.

It appears to be something from Fabrique d'Horlogerie de Fontainemelon.

(Second GIS hit for "makers mark" arrow swiss from Pinterest, fourth related image)

God bless you you black-hearted libertarian SOB.

I still don't know how you found it. I don't see it on your Pinterest list. Nonetheless, FHF was the progenitor of ETA.

It's a fuckin' ETA before ETA was ETA.

Thank you.