We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
rrrrr's comments
rrrrr  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Inside the biggest gathering of American Socialists in decades

an organization that is... looking to capitalize on fertile conditions

Is it just me, or is that not the best choice of words when describing a socialist party?

rrrrr  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This week on Punk'd: White House Edition

"We take all cyber related issues very seriously and are looking into these incidents further," White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told CNN.

Barron is using a GPS ping to upload the IP address into a Visual Basic GUI via the firewall as we speak.

Thanks. Not sure how I managed to screw that up.

iammyownrushmore  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

It happens don't sweat it :)

I wrote one moderately popular Chrome extension (surprisingly, about 82,000 users) and have been emailed by Russians who want to buy it a number of times. I always suspected the deal wouldn't be nice for the users so I never replied. The downside is I haven't made any money off the extension, but ho hum, at least I haven't made anyone's day worse.

Not 1970. 1821.

francopoli  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well that was a fuck up. Fixed.

rrrrr  ·  58 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Mandelbrot Monk

Thanks for the interesting links. Apparently Udo of Aachen is an April Fool hoax. I'm deleting the post.

---

Try telling a room full of audiophiles that you dig Bose headphones. The reaction won't be far off what Kipling gets you. In both fields the self-appointed connoisseurs and defenders of high taste will do everything they can to shore up an identity they spent years building. Imagine if all those years of careful study and/or all that money spent didn't make you any better than you were before you started, or any better than this rube who's so infuriatingly confident! Imagine if it didn't gain you anything! Imagine if you'd done it all just for love! The horror! So... gotta fight for that hard-won identity.

1) Having been in rooms full of audiophiles, I never speak, let alone tell them anything. Do not look the gorilla in the eye.

2) I am constitutionally incapable of digging Bose headphones. Although, yeah, you're right, QC-2s were pretty cool.

None of those things are problems with poetry. They're problems with assholes who like to talk about poetry or play games with poetry. The trick is to ignore the assholes and enjoy poetry.

_refugee_  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·

I will say I find the current atmosphere of modern poetry to be entirely too "serious", without humor, certainly incapable of looking at itself with any humor or without a certain smug pretension. Half of the rockstars I see coming up in the modern poetry community are writers I could never be or write like because I don't have the requisite experience with oppression or want to constantly write about it.

There are fun poets and fun poems out there, and even fun lit mags that have a better attitude. But they're one offs, hard to find, and as a whole the community doesn't foster these groups or people with such attitudes at all - there isn't going to be a renaissance where everyone stops looking down their noses anytime in the foreseeable future in the poetry community, (I guess the American poetry community is the one I'm mostly referring to and have experience with) and it's a pity. Poetry's very busy isolating itself.

humanodon  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes, I agree that the American poetry community in general is overly earnest and self-inflated. I think I've shared this before, but in Jennifer L. Knox' A Gringo Like Me we see one of those hard to find examples that you're talking about. Maybe it's just me, but poetry in the popular consciousness (in English at least) is supposed to be something transcendent, transformational. It's supposed to be achievable by an elevated class of humanity and enjoyed by similarly elevated people, which is fucking dumb. Anyway . . .

cW  ·  58 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is hilarious, thank you for posting it. Reminds me of a poem one of my classmates wrote for workshop, which is published now, apparently, in her collection. Unfortunately, the published version took out my favorite line, which, if I recall correctly, went "The dog is at the ass end of the yard." Anyhow, the poem's still quite good, and happens to be part of the google books sample, if you wanna check it out: https://tinyurl.com/y9sh5dda

humanodon  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·

Haha, it was a decent poem, but I think I would've liked to have seen that line in it. Congrats by the way on the album! Hope all is well in cW world!

cW  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks a ton, man! Things are going pretty well, and I'm aiming onward and upward. Heading down to the RV inspection place to pick up our airstream today, so that's big news. What's new in your world?

It's so funny and true about workshops, in my experience: the writer always ends up taking out your favorite line. Oh well, it's worth it getting to be part of the creative process, I suppose. De gustibus non disputandum est! (Or some such).

ArtemusBlank  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·

As someone that has competed in poetry slams before, I can agree with this. I do a lot of humor and satire pieces but they just don't resonate with an audience at times because the poetry slam audience is a lot of times looking for that piece about race, despairing emotion or some other social issue. It is the same thing over and over again with some different words I feel. It's frustrating to compete at times because I kinda know what the audience is looking for but it's not exactly me. There are times when I hit well with an audience but It's become less and less often these days. I could conform to what the audience wants as I'm a minority myself but I really don't want to go down that road because it wouldn't fully be me. There are times when I look at the poetry slam community and I just walk away to other poetry scenes that don't focus on slam at all because I feel like I fit in better at places where no one really cares about slam.

rd95  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·

Do that. Write for a new audience, yourself.

_refugee_  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·

Art often is about/driven by self-expression and I agree that this should be among a young (or even old) artist's driving forces to create. However, it's foolish to think that art and self-expression can exist in a vacuum without an audience and that be totally fulfilling. If you only share your self-expression with yourself, it can feel kind of masturbatory.

It's not satisfying to create art that just collects dust afterwards. Maybe Dada would put on a ballet show for an audience of no one but we should acknowledge that art, from writing to dance including everything in between, almost universally relies upon an audience as much as a creator. What can you really effectively express if you only express it to yourself? Art is a conversation and writing is and wants to be part of that conversation.

I see a lot of the time that "you should write just for you!" and yes you should do that but that aphorism also puts this idea into heads that "you shouldn't want or need an audience to feel good about what you create," which I think falls a little far from the truth. I write great poems that I love but once I write them, I also want to share them with people. And it's natural and understandable to have that desire and feel irritated when the literary structure/canon/environment in which you write is never going to embrace you -- I still write, sure, and I find people to share things with -- it shouldn't ever stop someone from creating -- but tell you what it sure can do is knock the wind out of your sails a little.

rd95  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·

I agree. Mostly. I think in the case of ArtemusBlank though, who has complained quite a few times about the slam scene this past year, that maybe he oughta try something new for a bit. Maybe rediscover why he fell in love with poetry in the first place. Sometimes you just gotta let go of the world and be you, if even for only a little bit.

cW  ·  58 days ago  ·  link  ·

I feel like the best rationale for "writing for the audience that is yourself" is to write that which compels you, in order to make sure you're speaking valuably to all those people more or less identical to yourself (which, statistically speaking, in a world so well populated, is a whole lotta people), and to all of the other types of people engaged in meaningful conversation with those people (which is actually a staggeringly large group of people). None of those people (except yourself) may be in the room with you, or perhaps even in your county. But they are most assuredly out there, in serious numbers. And one is much more likely to have deep, richly nuanced layers of meaning and intensity in expression for that audience than they are for the one that happens to be three tables over at the coffee shop.

Also, if you don't write (at least largely) for yourself, then you will likely have forsaken your inner compass, which probably has a great deal to do with why you started writing in the first place. I'm not going to pretend it's the only guide of value (I've heard Yanni doesn't listen to others' music, so as not to pollute the purity of vision), but ignoring it entirely is, in my opinion, a hollow and baffling experience.

am_Unition  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·

Jives well with the notion of "weaponized prestige" I've been railing against in my own personal life.

Communities of repute foster stagnation all too often, unless they have some specific characteristics instilled into their cultures. Still sniffing out those characteristics, but most are intuitive; healthy skepticism of authority, utilitarian, inclusive, etc.

You're not wrong? But if you ask someone who knows anything about poetry, you run the risk.

My entire interaction with academia and poetry was 100% about how everything I liked was doggerel and everything I didn't was genius. There are few things that make me want to put my fist through faces than hearing about goddamn red wheelbarrows.

thenewgreen  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's a good poem though... (ducks head).

That's fine. You can say that and no one will criticize you. However:

When the cholera comes -- as it will past a doubt --

Keep out of the wet and don't go on the shout,

For the sickness gets in as the liquor dies out,

An' it crumples the young British soldier.

Crum-, crum-, crumples the soldier . . .

I have had three "experts" tell me that the above is doggerel.

We can agree to disagree. But absolutely no one is going to lambast you for assuming the majority position that Williams is a goddamn genius.

thenewgreen  ·  66 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've a always liked Ogden Nash poems:

There is something about a martini

Ere the dining and dancing begin

And to tell you the truth

It's not the vermouth

I think that perhaps it's the gin

I used to recite that, when I was a bartender, to my customers that ordered a martini. Tips increase when you you recite poetry. Pretty sure poetry snobs would turn their nose up at that one.

That's... a limerick. Limericks are held in such low regard that they'll teach you how to make them in 3rd grade but by fifth, when they ask for "poetry" they'll accept a fucking haiku (without paying any attention to the meter or kireji) but they'll refuse to accept a limerick.

When I had to hand in poetry I'd do sonnets. Teachers were so impressed that I could handle ABBA ABBA CDE CDE that you could write straight fucking nonsense and they'd take it.

Of course they'd take straight fucking nonsense as free verse too

But not limericks

thenewgreen  ·  66 days ago  ·  link  ·

Limericks are wonderful. Because they're so easy and ubiquitous, a good limerick is actually high art.

I agree.

But neither of us teach English.

cW  ·  58 days ago  ·  link  ·

We had some really wonderful sections on light verse in a few of my courses at the program. In particular, for our "80 works" course (a generative, fast-forward through the forms class) we were assigned several different forms of light verse, and the output was all regarded as seriously as for the other projects. Now, that's a grad workshop, not AP Lit in high school, which is where the stick first gets firmly planted, but I'm happy to report that quite a few academics, at least on the creative side, are taking light verse seriously enough to keep thinking about it after they stop laughing.

I think the Clerihew was my favorite of the light verse forms, personally. Here's a fun one:

There's no disputin'

that Grigori Rasputin

had more will to power

than Schopenhauer.

(by Dean W. Zimmerman)

rrrrr  ·  84 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I have a friend that just joined Hubski. What should they know?

Reddit's like a city; Hubski's like a small town. You can get to know people better here and they can get to know you. Things move slower. Circles of friends emerge and sometimes it may feel cliquey. But the upside of that is that your interactions here can be more meaningful than in the big anonymous city.

You might find yourself thinking a bit harder before you post. (Is that article you agree with actually any good?) Don't aim for popularity, aim to make the conversation better. The site's not set up to be an echo chamber. Muting is available but is really a last resort after actually talking to people.

And on Hubski it's kind of normal for people to reveal a bit about themselves. That can feel odd if you're used to sites where people hide in the crowd. The crowd here turns out to be small and relatively friendly. People even meet up, have drinks and post photos of the event. Crazy.

The White House denied it, only for Trump to confirm it (and attempt to defend what he did) on Twitter.

rrrrr  ·  97 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Russian Intelligence is at (political) war

That photo! Money and power can't buy you happiness, folks!

The agency’s own overreach and mistakes have created a new vulnerability, further exacerbated by the publishing of Edward Snowden’s stolen files.

Didn't Snowden leak NSA files, not CIA?

It is not a column particularly concerned with technical accuracy.

Sure, it's a problem, but his diagnosis seems off the mark:

Part of the blame must reside with the toxic, feminist, politically-driven whispering campaign that “all men are potential rapists”. Modern masculinity has been put in the dock, and there it appears to remain.

I'd suggest the problem in the UK has more to do with (1) tabloids stoking paedophile paranoia for decades (blowing up each case into a fear that paedophiles lurked in every neighbourhood just waiting to prey on your kids), and (2) the discovery of a systematic cover-up of paedophiles in prominent positions in UK society (Jimmy Savile, other entertainers, several politicians from the 1960s to the 1980s at least, the Rotherham scandal, etc.). And we don't seem to be done with number 2 yet.

So let's not blame feminism for this. The slogan about potential rapists is one I haven't heard for about 30 years so I doubt it's highly influential today. And a rapist is not a paedophile so the connection doesn't really make sense anyway. The paranoia about paedophiles comes from other sources.