rrrrr's comments

Can we contrive for him to have a big public Twitter argument with Donald Trump? I feel it would be entertaining, for a few minutes. Then onto the next thing.

rrrrr  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 287th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Her whole new album "Shelter" is kind of great.

Trump people

simple bayesian analysis

I think I see the problem here...

b_b  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Lol. Didn't quite mean it in the literal sense. More like, even a moron at some point should start to think, "If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck..."

b_b  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was assuming he would try to hire that coal exec who went to jail for killing workers, then lost the Republican Senate primary when he got out. Maybe he's saving that guy for department of labor.

am_Unition  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yup.

It was a wonderful forty minutes or so yesterday

rrrrr  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Russia Conspiracy Is Unraveling Across the Pond

The Spectator is a relatively respectable and established conservative news magazine in the UK. Good to see that they will publish something like this that is somewhat critical of the present (horribly incompetent) Conservative government. But yes, the story about CA having the emails a month before Wikleaks needs more detail and independent corroboration before we can treat it as fact.

rrrrr  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Keep it classy, Spokane.

A month after Charlottesville, Allsup told white nationalist podcast Fash the Nation that he tried to take over WSU’s College Republican club with “fashy goy” (fascist, non-Jewish) friends.

“If you are a college guy, or a college girl, and you are on a college campus, if you have three or four fashy goy friends, you can take over your school’s College Republicans group and move it to essentially being an alt-right club,” Allsup said.

“You can easily do that and it gives you access to so many more resources. It gives you political credibility. It gives you all of these things that come along with the name of being a Republican.”

And one of his buddies:

“I work in HR firing n----rs and spics all day,” he said during a March 2016 podcast. “Before that, I was in the army and I got to kill Muslims for fun. I’m not sure which one was better: watching n----rs and spics cry because they can’t feed their little mud children or watching Muslims brains spray on the wall. Honestly both probably suck compared to listening to a kike’s scream while in the oven.”

Republican politics today, folks.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·

Fash the Nation

I guess they're done pretending, then.

rrrrr  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 281st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Nick Drake's mum:

Just like how on reddit the combined wisdom of the public causes the most intelligent and well considered content to rise to the top, and humanity through its combined sincere efforts discerns the wisest path towards the future. Except with higher stakes, and run by an egotistical billionaire.

You can't trust people.

rrrrr  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I was Jordan Peterson’s strongest supporter. Now I think he’s dangerous

Can't be a good fascist unless you practise the scowl!

rrrrr  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Meet the Renegades of the Intellectual Dark Web

I've made politically incorrect gaffes in very politically correct left-leaning academic circles and felt everyone's stares bearing down on me. I felt kind of mortified. I said sorry, that was insensitive, and I learned something about my own instincts there. Surprisingly, society didn't collapse.

Nathan Robinson's response pretty much hits the mark:

Pretty loud for being so silenced.

I get the same feeling off these people as off the white nationalists who complain that white men are more oppressed than anyone else. They're either very deluded or speaking in bad faith.

veen  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ever since reading Peterson's book I can't tell you how freaking often he pops up.

Think of all the black leftists and liberals, or scholars of race, that Sam Harris or Dave Rubin could have on their shows if they wanted to: Eddie Glaude, Michelle Alexander, Cornel West, Adolph Reed, Angela Davis, Kiese Laymon, Peniel Joseph, James Forman, Paul Butler, Tommie Shelby, Robin D. G. Kelley, Cathy Cohen, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Khalil Gibran Muhammad, Kimberlé Crenshaw, Nina Turner, Bryan Stevenson, Nell Irvin Painter, Elizabeth Hinton, Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor, Briahna Joy Gray. (Those are just a few names from the top of my head; given time I could produce a list ten times longer.) If Sam Harris had Ibram Kendi, author of a National Book Award winning history of racist ideas, on his show, Harris might finally come to understand why so many people react badly to Charles Murray’s work, and appreciate the multi-hundred year history of “racial intelligence difference” discussions serving to justify racist violence.

Ten times this. While I have succesfully ignored Harris for quite some time now, he recently was on the Ezra Klein podcast. I don't recommend listening to it - it's not a good conversation, it doesn't really go anywhere, and I want my two hours back, but Ezra makes pretty much the same point to Harris.

What I want to convince you of is that there’s a side of this you should become more curious about. You should be doing shows with people like Ibram Kendi, who is the author of Stamped from the Beginning, which is a book on racist ideas in America which won the National Book Award a couple of years back. People who really study how race and these ideas interact with American life and policy.

He doesn't see it as a problem. He doesn't really admit mistakes, period, because in this 'dark web' people are just meaner so one cannot look weak or nuanced. The term "neuroscientist" really needs bigger air quotes.

rrrrr  ·  75 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Shitty brain tumor

Tough news. I hope things go well for her.

rrrrr  ·  76 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: ‘I really don’t know how Zuckerberg and co sleep at night’

Unless or until FB is deemed to be a utility, they should be held to account for the havoc they cause globally. I don't know what that looks like, but clearly the status quo isn't working.

Holding websites responsible for what users post is a hard thing to implement without undesirable side-effects:

b_b  ·  76 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's very true, but not holding them accountable clearly also has undesirable side effects. Good policy would at least attempt to balance the concerns on both sides.

rrrrr  ·  79 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

You had a rougher than usual welcome, and it surprised me. Stick with it - the conversation here is so much better than on any comparable site, and people are generally good to one another.

rrrrr  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: North and South Korea Set Bold Goals: A Final Peace and No Nuclear Arms

So do we have to admit, however reluctantly, that Trump takes some of the credit for making progress where others failed? What part did his combination of sanctions and the offer of talks play in bringing the two Korean leaders to the table?

ForPetesSake  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

I would be a little reluctant to uptalk America's role in this situation, Trump in particular. Much of this has happened independent of the United States, and because of China's influence in the region. If anything, his efforts have further alienated our allies and driven them more into the arms of their neighbors and other trade partners and away from American influence (Mexico and Canada bypassing the United States to make deals in Europe and Asia is a fine example). It definitely appears that they are intent on replacing the United States with other customers who are willing to play a little nicer (maybe China has convinced NK that they can benefit from this situation). Although, Trump's unpredictable behavior may have given North Korea pause and a reason to play a little nicer. It still seems more likely that this is political and economic maneuvering and they will either use America's unwillingness to cooperate as a wedge to drive between allies, or they will play up to Trump's ego and tensions will ease (giving Trump an opportunity to claim a win, even if little of it can be attributed to him personally).