We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
rrrrr's comments
rrrrr  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "Whether Trump survives to 2020 hangs on a single question: Is Donald Trump insane?"

The Trump movement culturally represents an absolute denial of our sins from slavery on – hence the intense reaction to the removal of Confederate statues, the bizarre paranoia about the Washington Monument being next, and so on. But #resistance is also a denial mechanism. It makes Trump the root of all evil, and is powered by an intense desire to not have to look at the ugliness, to go back to the way things were. We see this hideous clown in the White House and feel our dignity outraged, but when you really think about it, what should America's president look like?

Trump is no malfunction. He's a perfect representation of who, as a country, we are and always have been: an insane monster.

I thought the bit I put in bold was insightful. There's a great temptation to pin all the ugliness on Trump because the alternative is far harder to face. Trump is the tip of a very large iceberg.

rrrrr  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Gas Pump Skimmers

The quickest prevention method we could think of was a klaxon attached to a leaf switch set to go off anytime the pump is opened. Provide all pump repair folks with ear protection and the problem of skimmers is solved.

Unless those are the people installing them.

rrrrr  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The great nutrient collapse

The greater concern, I think, is the impact on other species of a change in the nutrient content of their food. Ecosystems can be quite fragile and such a shift could have ramifications we can't foresee. Food chains may break down. And all this takes place in ecosystems that are already stressed due to temperature change, atmospheric change, the effects of agriculture, ocean acidification, ocean deoxygenization, etc. We're applying so much stress across the whole planet that it's unpredictable where breakages are going to take place. The nutrient issue is one more source of stress, and one more reminder that these systems are so complex that our actions have unpredictable effects.

rrrrr  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Post your #Eclipse2017 Pics!

I love those tree shadow pictures - amazing! It never occurred to me that the shapes of these shadows every day are due to the shape of the sun.

Dala  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·

And now you have me wondering what shadows would be like if the sun weren't a sphere...

rrrrr  ·  58 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Post your #Eclipse2017 Pics!

Thanks!

Here are mine (album: http://imgur.com/a/FHikn):

Through the eclipse glasses

Through the clouds

Eclipse glasses again

Diaper box pinhole camera

Leaf with holes in

Peering into the pinhole camera

Dala  ·  58 days ago  ·  link  ·

I love these, especially the cloud one!

rrrrr  ·  58 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks!

rrrrr  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Inside the biggest gathering of American Socialists in decades

an organization that is... looking to capitalize on fertile conditions

Is it just me, or is that not the best choice of words when describing a socialist party?

rrrrr  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This week on Punk'd: White House Edition

"We take all cyber related issues very seriously and are looking into these incidents further," White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told CNN.

Barron is using a GPS ping to upload the IP address into a Visual Basic GUI via the firewall as we speak.

Thanks. Not sure how I managed to screw that up.

iammyownrushmore  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·

It happens don't sweat it :)

I wrote one moderately popular Chrome extension (surprisingly, about 82,000 users) and have been emailed by Russians who want to buy it a number of times. I always suspected the deal wouldn't be nice for the users so I never replied. The downside is I haven't made any money off the extension, but ho hum, at least I haven't made anyone's day worse.

Not 1970. 1821.

francopoli  ·  96 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well that was a fuck up. Fixed.

rrrrr  ·  121 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Mandelbrot Monk

Thanks for the interesting links. Apparently Udo of Aachen is an April Fool hoax. I'm deleting the post.

---

Try telling a room full of audiophiles that you dig Bose headphones. The reaction won't be far off what Kipling gets you. In both fields the self-appointed connoisseurs and defenders of high taste will do everything they can to shore up an identity they spent years building. Imagine if all those years of careful study and/or all that money spent didn't make you any better than you were before you started, or any better than this rube who's so infuriatingly confident! Imagine if it didn't gain you anything! Imagine if you'd done it all just for love! The horror! So... gotta fight for that hard-won identity.

1) Having been in rooms full of audiophiles, I never speak, let alone tell them anything. Do not look the gorilla in the eye.

2) I am constitutionally incapable of digging Bose headphones. Although, yeah, you're right, QC-2s were pretty cool.