I don't recall the point of mindfulness meditation being to make workers more productive, I've mostly heard it packaged in terms of making people less stressed and less likely to either quit or flip out at their coworkers. Also, the second half of the title is totally just Cory Doctorow editorializing.
From the source:
• State mindfulness impaired motivation to complete cognitive and performance tasks.
• State mindfulness had no overall effect (good or bad) for performance on same tasks.
• Weakened future focus and arousal serially mediated demotivating effect.
• Mindfulness enabled people to detach from stressors, which improved task focus.
• Detachment and task focus help explain why mindfulness does not alter performance.