yotta's comments
yotta  ·  1406 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: December photo challenge, day 11: "Window"

I took that picture out of the window of a hostel I stayed in in Gimmelwald, Switzerland. Possibly my favorite place I have ever been to.

edit: totally didn't realize that the photo was supposed to be taken today, sorry for cheating.

thenewgreen  ·  1406 days ago  ·  link  ·

No worries, I don't think it really matters. The whole premise of this thing is to just have fun, at least that's what I intended. I've used old photos. That's one hell of a spot though yotta. I can see why it's your favorite place.

yotta  ·  1407 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: December photo challenge, day 11: "Window"

(not taken today, oops)

thenewgreen  ·  1407 days ago  ·  link  ·

What an amazing view. Where are you?

yotta  ·  1406 days ago  ·  link  ·

thenewgreen  ·  1406 days ago  ·  link  ·

yotta  ·  1619 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski: Did you know... (info for new users and a look back for us old-folks)

The key difference, for me anyway, is that it doesn't show the hubwheel on individual comments. They are still ordered the same, of course, but I like that it forces me to read comments instead of judging them by their number of votes.

yotta  ·  1619 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Cheese or font?

Obviously, the cheeses and fonts are hand-picked, but I still find it shockingly difficult.

yotta  ·  1621 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: One random tweet

They use the same alphabet, but the thing you linked to is actually Farsi, not Arabic.

flagamuffin  ·  1620 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks! The Persian alphabet is beautiful, I meant to say.

yotta  ·  1701 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Lurker roll call

I have been lurking so hard that I rarely logged in. The other day, I decided that I wanted to be active, so here I am.

yotta  ·  1703 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Reimplementing Markdown in Arc Lisp

Hey, forwardslash, do you have any recommended resources for learning arc? I have pretty good experience with typed functional languages (haskell, OCaml) but not very much with lisp (if that makes a difference). Do you like it?

forwardslash  ·  1700 days ago  ·  link  ·

The only resources I use are the arclanguage forum, arc tutorial, and the source of projects like Anarki. All that I have learned about arc has been primarily from working with hubski's codebase. If there's some area that I'm not familiar with I'll try and follow the data path of a request that involves that area. For instance, the first thing I did when I joined the team was added magnet links. I started with figuring out how arc dealt with requests which lead me to how you define urls in arc (with the newsop function). Eventually I burrowed down into app.arc and found the functions which validate urls in order to make them clickable. Months of doing this is how I got to where I am now.

As to whether I like it, I can say that I wouldn't choose it as a language for a project. That said, I still have enjoyed working with it. It was my first functional language (I later learned Haskell last semester) and got me out of thinking purely in the C/Java world I had lived in all throughout school. All in all it's a very simple language with unique features, but most of my complaints aren't necessarily with the language but with the code written with arc that we use.

For example, we don't have nice urls like you'd expected from other sites with things like example.com/user/forwardslash; instead we have to use query strings. This stems from how we defined our routes such as user pages which starts with

(newsop user (id)
    ...)
This defines hubski.com/user and binds the value of id in a query string to the variable id. User here is not a string but a literal identifier, so we can't define any sort of dynamic route. There is probably a solution to this but it would involve rewriting some if not most of our server code. Again, not necessary a complaint with the language but with the srv.arc implementation.

Other things I have grown to not be fond of despite being interesting concepts are dirty and anaphoric macros. Basically I just miss namespacing and I think anaphoric macros are bugged at the moment (they like to eat local variables).

wildptr  ·  1656 days ago  ·  link  ·

Small question about Arc, coming from a Haskell background. I've used Yesod for web applications, and it has a database-agnostic API for persistence (called yesod-persistent). Is there a similar tool for Arc, or is there at least a database API to any specific one?

forwardslash  ·  1655 days ago  ·  link  ·

I wish more than anything else that arc had any sort of database API, but as it stands our database is just flat files loaded into memory in a hashtable. Racket and scheme (which arc is built on) have some database APIs but you'd have to cross define them in arc which isn't trivial.

wildptr  ·  1655 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for the reply! But that's disheartening, along with the whole fnid problem.

wildptr  ·  1655 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
yotta  ·  2121 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is hubski open-source?

I don't think mk has any plans to do this, but I could be wrong.

ll  ·  2121 days ago  ·  link  ·

Understandable. I am more curious about Arc and want to glance what other people have done with the language. mk is a hipster champ for using it though!

mk  ·  2121 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk is a hipster champ for using it though!

Then my work is done here. :)

yotta  ·  2135 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Rob Sheridan - Glitch Art

I like his illustrations.

On the subject of glitch art, this is pretty cool. I like his textiles.

yotta  ·  2135 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm Sick Of Pretending: I Don't "Get" Art | VICE

I like the idea of using art to store experience outside the brain.

I think one of the best things about music, as opposed to visual art, is that people are much more likely to approach it at face value. There is still a lot of music that is regarded as bad, or talent-less (easy example: "rap is just talking over a beat"). But I find that people are willing to accept that listening music is worthwhile insofar it produces a reaction in yourself that you find desirable.

This contrast may come from the fact that most of us, myself included, are more familiar with being "moved" by music than by visual art. Almost everyone understands the urge to dance.

khaaan  ·  2134 days ago  ·  link  ·

music is more accesible music tends to directly interface with emotions + there isnt the whole pretentious art scene surrounding it. you could say it's art for the comman man.

yotta  ·  2136 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm Sick Of Pretending: I Don't "Get" Art | VICE

I often think that there just isn't that much to get. Perhaps this is the "problem" with contemporary art: that it is taken too seriously. Not that it isn't meaningful or important.

Hillris  ·  2103 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think a lot of it has to do with the context of the period, and general attitude of society on the whole, and how the attitude of art shifts (eg. impressionism to photorealism)

thenewgreen  ·  2135 days ago  ·  link  ·

My thoughts on art: I know what I like and I don't always know why I like it. I'll not pretend otherwise though. If everyone is raving about this or that it doesn't really matter to me. It will either elicit a response from me or it won't. Sometimes I dislike something so much that it garners my resect and I would say that this is also "good" art but just not something I'd hang on the wall. But it comes down to subjectivity. It's not a contest and anyone that thinks otherwise is a tool.

khaaan  ·  2135 days ago  ·  link  ·

There isnt its just a way to try and express a view a feeling an emotion or a way to look at things you should take art at its face value. Art can have real skill and craft some art is a pun or a meme its a scale as long as you remember its like anything else good music bad music. What makes Art different is that asthetics are not always required to transfer the message or meaning.

The reason some Art sells for rediculous amounts of money is because of good old economics supply and demand make things more expensive than they need to be.

Art it is what it is or what it is to you as Art generaly is a consideration of the self as the point of view.

I see Art as an atemt to recreate the patern that fromed in the artists mind at the moment of experience. It's the biraze ability of humans being able to store information (experiences) outside of the brain.

Or its just a pretty picture and there is nothing wrong with only seaing beauty in Art in fact id say anyone who does is lucky.

yotta  ·  2135 days ago  ·  link  ·

I like the idea of using art to store experience outside the brain.

khaaan  ·  2134 days ago  ·  link  ·

flagamuffin  ·  2135 days ago  ·  link  ·

I wonder why Piss Christ always comes to mind...

Because it was the focus of a full-court-press congressional furor over the NEA.

Bet you didn't know Mapplethorpe mostly photographed orchids, did you?

flagamuffin  ·  2135 days ago  ·  link  ·

Must say Helms didn't come off too well in that article.

yotta  ·  2150 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: P3

Columbus

---
Mindwolf  ·  2149 days ago  ·  link  ·

I used to work for Bank One and had to travel to Columbus all the time. I was mainly in the Polaris area north of the beltway.

---
yotta  ·  2151 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: P3

I live in Ohio, but not Canton.

---
Mindwolf  ·  2150 days ago  ·  link  ·

Where are you located? I did a project in Cleveland which had me there for 9 months.

---
yotta  ·  2150 days ago  ·  link  ·

Columbus

---
Mindwolf  ·  2149 days ago  ·  link  ·

---
yotta  ·  2153 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92 - Full Album

I love them both, but I very slightly prefer the first because sometimes a bit of a groove helps me stay focused.

side note: This is probably the least pleasant aphex twin song, imo. It still has his fingerprint though.