yorashtan's comments
yorashtan  ·  1227 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, Tell Me About Your Bike

I bought this bike for 30e so it's cheaper than taking the OV-fiets every day and it does the job perfectly. I take a train then take the "stationsfiets" and go to work.

I have 4 bikes:

- an old ('80s) batavus "racing" tandem; speedy and great for short weekend trips

- an old ('70s) Raleigh Sports, most comfortable bike but a bit too small for me, so rarely used

- *an old ('80s) gazelle champion mondial, which is my main bike

- an old ('00s) "stationsfiets", pedal brake single speed commuter to get me from the station to work and back in the town I work

veen  ·  1227 days ago  ·  link  ·

You must be Dutch too. Ever tried OVfiets? Or is that what you meant with stationsfiets...

yorashtan  ·  1227 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
yorashtan  ·  1227 days ago  ·  link  ·

yorashtan  ·  1228 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Windows 10

I like my Windows 8.1 more than Windows 7. To me it feels somewhat more snappy and some parts work better, I also like faster boot times. Also, as a long time Ubuntu user, I stopped using menus long ago in favor of pressing the launcher button (on keyaboard) and typing what I need. It's much faster.

Jonathon  ·  1227 days ago  ·  link  ·

I agree with the bit about launching apps. On Win7 I launched apps by typing into the start menu search, so Win8 was only a slight change in that regard. Otherwise most things seems to work as smooth as Win7. My only real complaint is that the integration between metro apps and the traditional desktop is garbage.

DancingDirty7  ·  1227 days ago  ·  link  ·

yeah, you cannot even get shortcuts on the desktop of metro apps!!! e.g. you cannot have the calculator on desktop or -as I do- in a taskbar shortcut toolbar

Jonathon  ·  1227 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
yorashtan  ·  1228 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Where are you?

Nord-Holland in The Netherlands.

yorashtan  ·  1337 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Toilet paper orientation

Under is very popular here in the Netherlands where i live now. I actually find it correct when the loo is very cramped. When the restroom is so small you are touching the TP roll with your legs, it's easier to unroll when the TP is farther from your leg.

yorashtan  ·  2121 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I need your help to figure out how old Hubski is!

Not possible to specify none as a gender.

---
user-inactivated  ·  2120 days ago  ·  link  ·

Is this a problem?

---
yorashtan  ·  2127 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What do you do for a living? What would you like to do?

Have you found a new job?

user-inactivated  ·  2127 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have some contract work, but nothing permanent. At least I have the opportunity to improve my skills. I had gotten lazy in my last job; they're still using technology from the last century.

yorashtan  ·  2129 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This is driving me crazy - what do we call ourselves?

Hubskis.

#circlejerk

yorashtan  ·  2131 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What I like most about this site.

It probably will.

The worst thing that can happen would be the demise of Reddit. Currently, Reddit is a sort of honey pot which is stopping all the mainstream hordes from entering Hubski and bringing mainstream hivemind here. Digg used to be that filter to Reddit.

yorashtan  ·  2144 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: On average, how many hours a day/week do you spend gaming?

I'm 34 and I used to play games but stopped ten years ago. I don't do it anymore.

I remember when mk first posted about hubski (I think it was on HN [1]). I wasn't interested then, Reddit was fine and HN was too much biased towards enterpreneurship and Apple. So I stayed with Reddit.

But now, seeing that Hubski caught on, I joined.

[1] http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3305016