wasoxygen's comments
wasoxygen  ·  130 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 8, 2018

It’s five o’clock somewhere…

Car rental in Turkey is always an adventure, and always works out somehow. In Izmir we once got a Tofaş Şahin, like the antiquated taxis then in service, and discovered it had one-candlepower headlights. We had leftover fuel before returning it, and stopped by an uncle’s mechanic shop, where he alternated pulls on a siphon hose and cigarette trying to harvest the last few liters.

This year we aimed higher, reserving a Nissan Qashqai or similar. On arrival in Marmaris, we were offered a free upgrade as the Nissan was still out. The whole rental car industry seems like a scam, but I’ve learned to just roll along with it and hope for the best. We ended up enjoying a nice ride on the switchback road out of the valley.

We took a rest stop on the side of the D525 facing Bafa Gölü. It was a feast for the senses, all five of them. The visual splendor of the lake was cancelled by the roar of tour buses flying past two meters behind us. The vaguely pleasant campsite aroma of the wood-fired samovar was offset by the universal barely-comfortable plastic chairs. The tiebreaker was the food, and our sense of taste was delighted by the otlu peynir gözleme (cheese crepes) made before our eyes. The only way we could get it fresher would be to sit closer to the fire.

The roadside rest stop was mobile, unpacked from a van. A family of four provided service, the matriarch cooking and managing the cash in a hip bag, a man and woman doing cooking and bussing, and a young girl greeting and fetching tea. Produce, olive oil and honey were displayed for sale, but the main attractions were the view and the breeze.

Well-fed and rested, we proceeded toward Izmir, crossing through the gorgeous and fertile Büyük Menderes River valley. The ancient river gives us the word meander, a reminder to take our time and enjoy the stops along the way.

flagamuffin  ·  130 days ago  ·  link  ·

the rental i ended up stuck with in maui is a 2011 nissan sentra. you know how i know that? because their entire fleet is 2011 nissan sentras.

meanwhile, just out of reach on turo, the fiat 500 (steve if you really want a cute vehicle...) whose owner won't deliver to the airport, even for a fee. how does anyone get to maui except the god damn airport?

goobster  ·  130 days ago  ·  link  ·

There is so much awesome in this post! I don't even know where to start...

Just ... keeping doing what you are doing. It's wonderful.

wasoxygen  ·  144 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Spotting CNN on a TV Aboard Air Force One, Trump Rages Against Reality

Meanwhile at the Trump® International Hotel Washington, D.C....

wasoxygen  ·  291 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 28, 2018

Friendly reminder to replace the cabin air filter, preferably before the car reaches 110,000 miles.

BurnTheBarricade  ·  291 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's one fancy scented air freshener.

oyster  ·  291 days ago  ·  link  ·

Eau du autumn

mk  ·  291 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's a lot of acorns. I've got to think rodents were involved.

wasoxygen  ·  452 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 20, 2017x 2

I woke up at 4:30 Saturday morning prepared to do the hardest thing I've ever attempted.

It did not go as planned.

_refugee_  ·  449 days ago  ·  link  ·

YAS RUNNING FINGS

Ps I picked up fall running again this week, quite in line with my ush. I do better at it ever year though methinks

nowaypablo  ·  451 days ago  ·  link  ·

So fucking cool man. Congrats on the effort.

wasoxygen  ·  451 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks, man. Love you!

nowaypablo  ·  451 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ahahaha, love you too

ButterflyEffect  ·  452 days ago  ·  link  ·

I didn’t mention my doubts that a group would have outthunk a sign, figuring this was all part of the Barkley mystique.

At what point did you think something wasn't right with the directions? How familiar were you with the route heading into the race, especially having ran it the last two years? Do you agree with the four mistakes listed by Laz in that Facebook post?

wasoxygen  ·  451 days ago  ·  link  ·

The point where I got off track came early in the day in previous years, so I was probably playing follow-the-leader and not paying close attention. Someone asked me if things looked familiar, and I didn't remember seeing so many yellow daisies at the side of the trail, but said I didn't know. You can see a lot of stuff in a day; it's hard to know what you didn't see!

The four points Laz makes are sound, but fairly basic. #2 might have helped me, if it made me appreciate the risk of getting lost so I did more planning

1) Look at the map and familiarize yourself with the route of the course.

Obviously good advice. I used my map more the first year. Being "familiar" isn't enough, though, I should have made an expectation of when I would get to the next waypoint, so I would know when I should start worrying about being off course.

2) Know where you are going, and do not just blindly follow the runner in front of you.

Yeah, yeah, this is pretty basic. But the runners in front of me all stopped at the wrong turn, and I also made an effort to figure out where we were on the map. I was actually more confident than the group seemed to be about going the wrong way, and I am glad I didn't vocalize my thoughts. The "spur" Laz describes does not sound quite like the way we went, which I remember as being nearly straight ahead and similar jeep road. Though we did descend, and the correct left turn went up an incline.

3) When in doubt, stop and think.

Some advice is only good in retrospect. If you stopped to think every time five minutes passed without a course marker, you would never get anywhere. This course is known for providing limited guidance and promoting self-reliance. Laz describes an "excited" runner who went off course "in a big hurry," and so didn't have the doubt trigger. Better to prepare by thinking ahead of where things are likely to go wrong. I was feeling good and thought that injury, bees, or exhaustion would be my most likely failure modes. Navigation wasn't on my mind as a risk factor, despite knowing that people always get lost.

Michael Wardian, the seven marathons on seven continents in seven days guy, basically got lost right away at the real Barkley.

4) When you find yourself off course, return to the last place you knew you were on course.

We could have done better here. If we had gone back to the first wrong turn immediately after encountering the guy coming back from the lake, we wouldn't have lost more than an hour. But again, we were not sure that was the first wrong turn until we explored several other wrong turns.

wasoxygen  ·  417 days ago  ·  link  ·

That was rough seeing them do a U-turn. Lucky break for the local guy, though.

The Chicago Marathon winner was the first U.S.-born winner since 1982.

Another wrong turn:

During the New York City Marathon race in November, he recovered from a wrong turn seven-tenths of a mile before the finish that put him 40 yards behind his countryman Benjamín Paredes. He ran a 5:15 final mile, including the detour, to beat Paredes by two seconds with a time of 2:11:21.[6] The incident earned him the nickname "Wrong-Way Silva".
wasoxygen  ·  417 days ago  ·  link  ·

Corrigan claimed to have noticed his "error" after flying for about 26 hours. This is not entirely consistent with his claim that after 10 hours, he felt his feet go cold; the cockpit floor was awash with gasoline leaking from the unrepaired tank. He used a screwdriver to punch a hole through the cockpit floor so that the fuel would drain away on the side opposite the hot exhaust pipe, reducing the risk of a midair explosion. Had he been truly unaware he was over ocean, it seems likely he would have descended at this point; instead, he claimed to have increased the engine speed by almost 20% in the hope of decreasing his flight time.
ButterflyEffect  ·  417 days ago  ·  link  ·

He landed at Baldonnel Aerodrome, County Dublin, on July 18, after a 28-hour, 13-minute flight. His provisions had been just two chocolate bars, two boxes of fig bars, and 25 US gal (94.64 L) of water.
flagamuffin  ·  417 days ago  ·  link  ·

one could safely assume that if he lied about everything else, he also lied about the MREs he threw into the atlantic before landing

WanderingEng  ·  452 days ago  ·  link  ·

Mud holes on mountains baffle me, too. Why doesn't the water just run down hill?

wasoxygen  ·  431 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 11, 2017

That's a heck of a rabbit hole.

It appears to be something from Fabrique d'Horlogerie de Fontainemelon.

(Second GIS hit for "makers mark" arrow swiss from Pinterest, fourth related image)

God bless you you black-hearted libertarian SOB.

I still don't know how you found it. I don't see it on your Pinterest list. Nonetheless, FHF was the progenitor of ETA.

It's a fuckin' ETA before ETA was ETA.

Thank you.

That was amazing.

wasoxygen  ·  431 days ago  ·  link  ·

Heh, I may have left out a step. I had so many tabs open I couldn't find my way back to the Pub.

wasoxygen  ·  592 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 3, 2017

Biking to work about every day and I hope I never have a daily car commute again. I spend more at lunch (and still get hungry again by afternoon) but figure I come out ahead on expenses even before considering mental and physical health.

Of course, you find a few jerks wherever you go.

First it was this road racer, doing a U-turn right in front of me, blocking the trail twice while staring at an array of electronics strapped to his handlebars.

Then this loudmouth idiot had the nerve to give me a hard time while he was blocking my lane. Share the trail, buddy!

lil  ·  592 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ha ha - my first giggle of the day. (I'm in a three-hours-earlier-than-you time zone.)

WanderingEng  ·  592 days ago  ·  link  ·

Have you run to work lately? I'm about ten miles from work, and is have to go down a normally busy county highway to get here. But they're closing the bridge this summer, and I expect that will choke off much of the traffic. It might be a nice run.

wasoxygen  ·  592 days ago  ·  link  ·

I ran home from work twice in February, about nine miles, but don't really have time in the morning to do it both ways, even though I'm now working about five miles from home.

I really hope to get some long training in before this fall, but don't see a way to make that happen without an alarm clock and head lamp, two tools that require more motivation than I've been able to muster.

user-inactivated  ·  592 days ago  ·  link  ·

Running 10 miles to work sounds like something that might be fun on occasion, but I can see that taking a toll on the knees pretty quickly. That said, I sometimes wish I lived a mile or so from work and that I lived in a walkable part of the city. I would kill to be able to walk to work on nice days, even in the winter.

WanderingEng  ·  592 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, it would definitely be a once a week thing, tops. I'd probably drive to work with my bike in the back and bike home the first day, then run to work and drive home the next.

Where I work is rural but still close to town. I'd love to live near here both for the convenience to work and the open spaces. But since it's close to town, property values are kind of high.

wasoxygen  ·  643 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: You must be logged in to view this post.

What is the problem you are trying to solve?

If it is only spamming, how about a probation period before new accounts can post? No further hurdles than that. The most recent post is from 40 minutes ago, posted by a 42-minute-old account.

For a spammer, having to create an account with a password and store those credentials and come back a week later to post is far more troublesome than the current instant gratification.

keifermiller  ·  643 days ago  ·  link  ·

Some of the spammers do just that, though, to get around the "filter users less than 2 days old" setting. I've got that checked and I still filter a ton of accounts every week.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  643 days ago  ·  link  ·

Surprising we don't have that yet.

If we add this - which sounds like a great idea - there should be a landing page for the newcomers saying something like this:

Hey, look, nobody likes spammers, so we added a waiting period. You can still browse, just not post or comment for this long. After that, you're welcome to introduce yourself to the hubskifolk! Just use #newtohubski as one of your tags!
wasoxygen  ·  1011 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A Thing Worth Doing

A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.

Saw this Chesterton quote in a 2003 race report from the 50-miler I am looking forward to surviving next month.

WanderingEng  ·  1011 days ago  ·  link  ·

That quote makes me feel good about surviving and maybe even loving my five mile runs.

wasoxygen  ·  1005 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 16, 2016

DC Metro is closed today.

Not "running with reduced frequency," not "single-tracking between Ballston and Foggy Bottom." That would be normal operations. Closed for 29 hours, for unplanned emergency inspections of electrical cables before they kill any more passengers.

Even the New York City Subway is making fun.

I remembered the bike I stopped riding when it got cold last fall, put air in the tires, and had a great ride in. Despite a detour to tour Constitution Gardens and a stop for coffee, I still sat down at my desk at the usual time, more refreshed than usual despite a rumpled shirt. I think I'll give my metro card a break for a while.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  1005 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd like to understand the MTA joke. Is it public transportation?

wasoxygen  ·  1005 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes, the New York City subway is run by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, and the D.C. subway is operated by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. In announcements they pronounce this "wuh-mata dot com." Amusingly, the web site melted down yesterday after the closure announcement so visitors were greeted with "Service Unavailable."

Twitter is aflutter with wisecracks:

"MAKE WMATA GREAT AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME"

"BREAKING: WMATA"

And my favorite, the updated service map:

_refugee_  ·  1005 days ago  ·  link  ·

Have you seen the RepUnderwoodSC twitter? I hear the jokes from it re: WMATA are priceless.

wasoxygen  ·  1096 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 16, 2015

Anyone lose a cell phone? I found one on the sidewalk last night.

I was walking home from the metro station and saw a charming scene. First, a man talking on his phone passed me going the other way. A little later, a woman in front of me stopped and picked up a small black object that looked like a wallet. I continued walking past her as she examined it, then she turned back and ran after the first guy.

I continued on, glancing over my shoulder at the good deed in progress. She caught up to the guy, then stopped him and they had a little dialog. The return didn’t appear to be working out. She looked my way and I turned and continued on, not wanting to project a misleading interest in the object.

I walked on a bit, then looked back in time to see the woman leave the wallet on the sidewalk about where she found it, then she walked off. Now I was invested in the scene and couldn't leave. I went back and picked up the wallet and found it was a cell phone case with an old iPhone inside. I checked it out, making awkward eye contact with other people passing by. (I remembered when a friend picked up a non-trivial banknote from the ground, asked the nearest passer-by if they dropped it, and the passer-by said “yeah” and took it after a brief but telling beat.)

The phone was locked with a passcode, and a pocket held a number of identical business cards of “Jessie L___”, a store manager at Harris Teeter in Warrenton, a distant town. I knew there was something I should do, but couldn’t figure out what it was. I texted the phone number on the card but the cell phone didn’t react. I called the number and got a recorded greeting from Harris Teeter.

I googled the name and got a promising Facebook result, but the page was a bunch of other Jessies. Some more hits from those scammy sites that promise all Jessie’s details once you pay up.

I tried 1234 for the passcode. Then I tried the Emergency Call feature, using my own number. As I dialed, I wondered why it would help me to get the caller ID of the lost phone, and decided that maybe the area code would help me decide if the owner might be local and likely to return soon. It was cold out and I still had 20 minutes to walk. I was outside a closed dry cleaners and a few doors down from a restaurant.

The emergency call didn’t work. I tried some recent birth years for the passcode until the phone locked up. I went home.

A while later, the phone showed a notification of a small purchase at Big Lots paid by Google Wallet. So I learned that people still use Google Wallet.

Finally, around 9 p.m., an incoming call from ”Wife” sounded the Bruno Mars ringtone. “Hello,” I answered, not sure what else to say. “Who are you?” Wife asked. She was with Jessie, at home in Woodbridge, another distant town. She relayed dialog between me and Jessie for a while, then finally put him on the line. He decided to come retrieve the phone. We met outside a nearby coffee shop half an hour later, and the world became a little more orderly.

Now I just have to figure out how to get “Just the Way You Are” out of my head.

thenewgreen  ·  1096 days ago  ·  link  ·

I enjoyed reading it and I'm glad for Jesse's sake that you are the one that took up the "case."

Was he a pleasant guy? Thankful?

wasoxygen  ·  1096 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was reluctant to take up the case, thinking I might even make it worse if the owner came back after I left with it. But I convinced myself that taking charge would be better than the next most likely outcome, either someone stepping on the phone or taking it but not having time or inclination to help it find its way home.

Jessie was cool but Wife was waiting in the car so I didn't keep him long. I think he said "Appreciate it" three times in the ten seconds our paths crossed.

thenewgreen  ·  1096 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's all well and good, but did you tell him about Hubski?

wasoxygen  ·  1262 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anyone here a socialist as well?

True story: in a high school economics class, Mrs. Johnson, a very good teacher, outlined the major political philosophies without naming them and asked for a show of hands in support of each.

The one that turned out to be socialism sounded like a good idea to me. It still does.

thenewgreen  ·  1262 days ago  ·  link  ·

HA! What a great teacher. I'd love to see that chalkboard and his descriptions of each. My guess is that you could position most of them in a way that makes them sound the most advantageous of the group.

I have never thought of you as a socialist though, much more as the libertarian type. You seem to really value the free market, no?

Edit: flagamuffin, that cracked me up.

wasoxygen  ·  1258 days ago  ·  link  ·

I found Mrs. Johnson on social media. She is retired after a 34-year career at my high school. She remembers using that lesson, but not her descriptions of the "ism"s. As I recall, they were described in terms of intentions, perhaps something like "The government ensures that all citizens have access to basic needs of living, such as food and housing." That is a beautiful promise.

The problem with choosing the political system which makes the best promises is obvious. Promises help politicians; it's the actual results that help or hurt ordinary people. I believe the actual results of the socialistic approach is generally harmful for ordinary people.

The free market has bad effects too, but they seem to me more along the lines of "not solving every problem" rather than "possibly mitigating some problems by creating bigger ones."

It is also disturbing to see a celebrated critic of free enterprise reveal a decidedly anti-poor, anti-woman position.

thenewgreen  ·  1258 days ago  ·  link  ·

I found Mrs. Johnson on social media
Tell her that the co-founder of Hubski is personally inviting her to join our discussions on politics. I want to find out how she warped you in to the Libertarian you are.
nothingleftinside  ·  1260 days ago  ·  link  ·

What were the other choices?

social sciences like psychology, but not really for harder sciences

I understand the idea, but the problem is that chemists are themselves soft. People who study the "hard" sciences are just as subject to bias and error as sociologists.

From Cargo Cult Science:

We have learned a lot from experience about how to handle some of the ways we fool ourselves. One example: Millikan measured the charge on an electron by an experiment with falling oil drops, and got an answer which we now know not to be quite right. It's a little bit off because he had the incorrect value for the viscosity of air. It's interesting to look at the history of measurements of the charge of an electron, after Millikan. If you plot them as a function of time, you find that one is a little bit bigger than Millikan's, and the next one's a little bit bigger than that, and the next one's a little bit bigger than that, until finally they settle down to a number which is higher.

Someone plotted it.

One might argue that human behavior is so much more complicated than anything that can happen in a Petri dish that more errors in social sciences are inevitable, but (1) I am not convinced that this is true and (2) it assumes that experimenters do not account for complexity when drawing conclusions in their work.

In practice, we always begin with a personal judgement about the reliability of the evidence we observe, so we never escape the ouroboros.

It's easy to criticize. It's hard to come up with better solutions.

The first half of the essay describes hard problems, and makes easy complaints about the way people have tried to approach these problems.

Say you had to come up with the figure for damages caused by poor medical treatment leading to the death of a mother. That's not easy! Whatever you do, someone can complain that your number is wrong, and you are evil for putting a value on human life.

Say you have a million dollars to spend to make the world a better place. You can install carbon sequestering filters on a factory to reduce the risk of climate change in the future, or you can save about 300 children from malaria today. That might be a hard decision for some people!

The second half of the essay describes the ways in which deceitful people can use complicated models to argue for any conclusion they like. This can happen on both sides of any debate, and it's not a fair criticism of tools like economic modelling to point out that they can be misused.

There is a role for economists, and economic modelling, in public debate. Its role should not be to limit the menu of democratic choices. Instead it should be to help explain the trade-offs.

Good modellers aren’t afraid of explaining their assumptions. The clients who pay best, however, don’t want the best modellers. They want people who can write a fat report to slam on the fucking table.

The lesson is to be skeptical and careful with models or any other kind of evidence, to be humble and reluctant in drawing conclusions, and not to blame the spreadsheets.

wasoxygen  ·  1259 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Random Photo Challenge - Height

Best hotel room ever. I ignored my Kindle watching the late flights approach Istanbul Atatürk Airport 15 km in the distance.

flagamuffin  ·  1259 days ago  ·  link  ·

Tea or something more exotic?

wasoxygen  ·  1259 days ago  ·  link  ·

Getting refill pods for the coffee machine was an enduring difficulty of the accommodations.

Just one coffee was the recipe for a good lucid dream, however.

elektroholunder  ·  1259 days ago  ·  link  ·

Holy moly. That setting is my single, one-day-I'll-be-rich dream since… forever.

Would you mind sharing the name of the hotel?

wasoxygen  ·  1259 days ago  ·  link  ·

It was ridiculous, the only time I have felt like I was on vacation while still in the hotel.

It's the Hilton Istanbul Bomonti. We caught a sale a few months after it opened and the Taksim Suite was cheaper than the two rooms we were going to need at our usual hotel by the airport.

When we found out the room included access to the 34th-floor lounge with 360-degree views and complementary breakfast, snacks, beer, wine and sometimes liquor through the evening, we decided it wasn't so extravagant at all, just good financial planning! We got on good terms with the staff by pretending not to notice the plutocrats' kids terrorizing the place, and they looked the other way when we smuggled friends in later.

Looks like there's a summer sale going on now, and the same suite is listed for TRY518 = US$193. Maybe that won't have to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience after all...

elektroholunder  ·  1259 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you! That sounds like a pretty nice package, plutocratic children notwithstanding, and I might have some leave coming up in September…

For a moment there I was shocked how affordable even the large suites where, until I noticed the prices where listed per day. Oh well. So much for my sudden bout with megalomania.