walkingbush's comments

Ok, you must appreciate that I'm older than I feel, so some of these might very well put some of the "younger" generation off :)

Matt Monro - And you smiled; The Archies - Sugar Sugar; Johnny Cash - Walk the line; Conway Twitty - You've never been this far before; Val Doonican - Delaney's Donkey; Tommy Cooper - Don't jump off the roof, Dad; Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven; Pink Floyd - Brick in the wall; David Bowie - China Girl; Blondie - Heart of glass; Europe - Rock the Night; Europe - Final Countdown :-

I'm going to stop there, because not being American, I have no idea how far $100 would stretch when buying vinyl. That should give you a good taste of (my) musical likings.

nowaypablo  ·  1551 days ago  ·  link  ·

this is making me so freaking excited. Thanks for the recs, Cash and Bowie are tempting for me...

walkingbush  ·  1571 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How did you hear about or find Hubski?

And my migration to hubski.com is complete - along with my final thoughts on the old place.

Don't read that if you are easily offended by obscenity. They are my actual thoughts, and uncensored. Hello hubski and my clean new life away from idiocy!!! :D

walkingbush  ·  1582 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Mobile interface won't respond to "request desktop site"

Hi mk. I think I scored on this one. This looks to be the problem; Chrome is looking at your interface and trying to zoom on your text and content. I found a setting for accessibility which has a checkbox: "Force zoom override - override a website's request to zoom in."

I checked that box, and set my text size to 75% and reloaded your website. The result of which is that the interface has returned to the correct size. I'm not sure whether this is your website failing to respond correctly to an accessible content request or whether this is chrome failing to render the site correctly.

walkingbush  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How did you hear about or find Hubski?

Hubski. Not a bit like Reddit. We're fun!

walkingbush  ·  1571 days ago  ·  link  ·

How about, "we're not a refuge from reddit, but you're welcome to join us anyway - we'd be glad to have you."

humanodon  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

A little wordy, but that's the thrust of what I might like to see. We've had lots of conversations about hubski's relationship with reddit and the general sentiment is that we'd like to get out of that shadow.

Good people are good people and I think I'm not alone in looking forward to meeting more.

walkingbush  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hubski. Not a bit like Reddit. We're fun!

walkingbush  ·  1571 days ago  ·  link  ·

Came from reddit as many others obviously have done. A recent change by the administration of the site has rendered large parts of it utterly useless and more to the point, the change was absolutely unnecessary.

I am recommending your site to everyone I am discussing this with throughout the site, in the last few days of preparation before I delete my account.

Regardless of the outcome there, I will be fully migrating to hubski shortly.

thenewgreen  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

Welcome to Hubski walkingbush, I'm glad you are excited about the place. I would recommend checking out our Primer Page which explains the ways we are different from other aggregators and some of our functionality etc.

It is important to note that we have been a community for several years and while Hubski will be new to many, it's home for us. That said, kick the tires, check out the place and recognize that we are not a "reddit replacement," we are Hubski. -I'm glad you found us and I'm glad you will be spreading the word. If you have ANY questions about the site at all, feel free to PM me or "shout-out" to me. Again, welcome!

humanodon  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

I feel like this would be a great addition to the "Create Account" page. Maybe rephrase "reddit replacement" somehow.

thenewgreen  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

We could just eliminate the word "reddit" and say we aren't a "replacement," we are Hubski. -Wow, that sounds arrogant :) Or... confident? It's a fine line.

I don't disagree that it could be part of the on boarding experience. Especially during influxes. mk, insomniasexx, b_b, forwardslash. Thoughts?

humanodon  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

Haha, yeah the wording could be . . . more diplomatic. I do think it's important to get people out the mindset of "hubski is the new ___________".

Although, since we're already "the handsome web", why not?

"We're no replacement; we're handsome."

walkingbush  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

humanodon  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

walkingbush  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hubski. Not a bit like Reddit. We're fun!

walkingbush  ·  1571 days ago  ·  link  ·

ran  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

Same here. I also came from Reddit after finding a link to Hubski in the comment section of a thread I've been reading. While I don't think that most of the recent changes to Reddit are as big a deal as most redditors make them out to be, I really like what Hubski looks and feels like at first sight.

I don't think I fully understand how the voting system works just yet, even though I read through the explanation on the primer page, but I do like that it's not a up- and downvote system like Reddit's, and I especially like that there doesn't seem to be any kind of karma.

I'll definitely stay here for a while and see if I'll enjoy it as much in the long run as I seem to enjoy it now.

thenewgreen  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey ran, glad you found us. As for the "voting" it is much more like twitter than it is reddit in this regard. Instead of an up vote for a post, you "share" it. When you "share" it, it will make it in to the feeds of those that follow you. Make sense?

With a comment, when you click on the wheel you are essentially giving it a vote and that does make it rise in the comment thread. I hope this helps. Feel free to pm me with any additional questions. Welcome!

walkingbush  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How many of you are ex redditors?

Amen to that! The badmins just learned that when the manure impacts the air circulation device, things can go downhill in a heartbeat.

havires  ·  1583 days ago  ·  link  ·

walkingbush that is the best rewording of "When shit hits the fan" I've ever seen. I think I'm going to use that when I need a clever way to say "When shit hits the fan" :D

Me! Redditor gone mad and very vocal critic of the administration there. I can see your userbase booming over the next few days! Reddit is falling apart like a badly made flatpacked table, and you're gonna benefit from it big time :)

kittypuppet  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

Be sure to spread the word all over Reddit when you get the chance!

My thought is that if we get enough people to switch over, the admins will take us more seriously.

ButterflyEffect  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

No, seriously, don't try to get people to join Hubski in some vain attempt to get the admins attention.

A: It won't work. Reddit's traffic is huge and even if 50,000 people come here today that's a blip in their numbers.

B: It makes all of our lives more difficult and would only work to degrade Hubski into something it should never be.

If you're going to invite people, make it be people that you think would be a good fit for the community and nature of the site. Please, don't just blanket invite every person you come across. That creates more problems than it solves.

user-inactivated  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

One of the things I immediately like about hubski - as someone who just signed up last night after seeing it mentioned in that thread - is how small it feels. My favorite part of reddit is the small subreddits that several people can be very active in. I wouldn't want to ruin that by spreading it to everyone, but I have mentioned it to my RL friend.

We're looking at HES right now, since it looks to be out of development (sadly).

insomniasexx  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah...that was from a while ago. The site has changed so much since then. Here's the original thread. Check some of those screenshots! https://hubski.com/pub?id=66843

Other cringey iterations:

user-inactivated  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oof, it's definitely gotten better, though it still looks pretty good there (not a fan of that mutli-column thing though).

My friend and I are looking at HES to see if it can be updated to do some stuff again. The links for the chrome version 404, and despite running it right now, I don't see it doing anything. We haven't used hubski for very long though, so we're waiting to get a feel for the site and how it works first. I mostly just want to bump up the type size a little, and I wanted a night mode; luckily, I found the dark theme!

insomniasexx  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

For minor changes to the CSS, I recommend stylebot for chrome. You can just add or change rules to as little or as much as you want. I played with it pretty heavily a while back and had it all super slick and shit. Now, I just increase font sizes and line heights across the board because I'm on a 27" iMac at work and this screen is just so freaking big.

Here's a random overhaul to the CSS using stylebot - it might be broken now though.

I don't even know if the one supertod did still works, but it was fucking epic: https://hubski.com/pub?id=99737

user-inactivated  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

Awesome, thanks! I'll check this out, since minor CSS alterations are all I want.

Stylebot is one of those things that I've always meant to check out, but just never have. You think I'd have looked at it, since I spent a lot of my time over the last five years designing and developing websites.

insomniasexx  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

Stylebot is really great and super simple. If you know your way around CSS, the edit CSS button at the bottom is what you want. Use inspect element to pull the class name or id and then write away. It's basically like changing the CSS thru inspect element but automatically loads whenever you visit a certain site.

One thing to watch out for is that if you are fucking with the layout of the hubwheel comment title comment, the css is slightly different for the comment page vs the badge page even though the class names are the same. That frustrated me to no end when we were trying to get a semi-responsive version of the site good.

Last note, we're just beginning a major rewrite of the backend and frontend of Hubski. We're aiming for Thanksgiving but you know how that goes. So if you pour hours into changes it's all going to break sometime in the next 6 months. :)

What languages to you typically work in? I've been doing HTML/CSS/JS for a few years and just redesigned my company's site from scratch. I'm more a designer than developer but it looks like I'm going to get to know some real programming languages for this rewrite which is really, really exiciting!

user-inactivated  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

Awesome, thanks for the info!

I'm also more of a designer than a developer. I work mostly in HTML/CSS, JS is something I experiment with, and I do/have done a lot of jQuery, but it's hard for me to get the hang of non-visual stuff. I spent a long time developing / massively altering WordPress themes. That sort of disenchanted me from it, because WordPress can be so bleh, I used to try and build cool little things (like a media player out of jQuery, which was the first thing I learned with it). Now I mostly just alter stuff to suit my needs, though I am working on my own Ghost (ghost.org) theme, so I'm not relying on someone else's theme that I've changed the CSS of drastically.

I sort of stopped doing web stuff around the same time I stopped doing Linux stuff, I've focused more on my content since then. I did a lof of php, but always sucked at that. I do love ruby, especially Sinatra (which I'd call a framework, but apparently it's a DSL? I dunno), and I should probably tinker with it some more.

insomniasexx  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

That sort of disenchanted me from it, because WordPress can be so bleh

Ugh. I hate wordpress. I built our new site on CouchCMS which I cannot say enough brilliant things about. It's flawless. It's brilliant. It's amazing. It's perfect. It does everything and nothing and everyone at work who currently fails as being able to update content without screwing up layout or something has been able to use Couch successfully. The nicest thing is I GET TO CODE MY WAY - MY STUFF. It's 100% mine. Then I just place the tags in it, or make it editable, or have the pages be populated automatically with content, etc. Everything about it just makes sense. It just works. It's just like "duh" - the exact opposite of my experience with Wordpress and Joomla.

I've had ruby on my list for a while but with all the amazing stuff people are doing with node.js and react and angular and sails and stylus and blah blah blah - I'm going to be learning that next. I really gotta start by fully understanding the concepts behind objects and server side stuff first though. That's the one thing I still struggle with. I work closely with my best friend and programmer at work so I get lazy about learning new things when he can just do them for me.

user-inactivated  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

WordPress is good for some people, to me (I've been following it for a long time), it's gotten gloated and over complicated. Joomla was the very first CMS I used, and I used it for a very short amount of time, it was awful. I have even worse experiences with Drupal.

Node.js looks incredibly cool, but I have the same problem as you as far as not really understanding objects. I can deal with server side stuff to a certain extent, but if I start seeing error messages, I lose my cool pretty quick. I ran various linux distros for about ten years, and that didn't change me: error messages in a terminal inspire terror in my gut. If I were still actively working on web stuff, rather than the casual stuff I do now, I'd absolutely force myself to be up to date on all of that, but I've fallen behind.

My best friend is also a programmer. One night we were at my house trying to develop an inventory system for our workplace in php. I think both of us detest php, and we spent four or five hours debugging something that ended up being whitespace. ironpotato's tried to get me to look at programming stuff before, mostly application development, I think. I've tried to get him into web stuff before. We just can't get into the other's territory.

Oops, forgot something: I'm a writer, so all I really need these days is a plain content-only website, that's why I use Ghost even though it's still pretty early in development.

bioemerl  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

"Love the UI but..."

I love seeing that post there in the context of that second image.

ironpotato  ·  1584 days ago  ·  link  ·

Glad to see you're checking it out too.