undrunkscotsman's comments
undrunkscotsman  ·  1232 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are Hubski's Political Views?

There's this political compass test that puts me way further left than most politcal parties, but in reality I'm an economics major, so there's a fair bit of right wing stuff there too. Mostly I like to define myself as a loose utilitarian, loose referring to my understanding of philosophy.

undrunkscotsman  ·  1232 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why do you shower in the morning?

Mentally, it helps get me started in the day. Kinda forces me to get mentally ready as I'm getting physically ready.

Physically, hair's a mess in the mornings and I smell like my bed. Not a bad smell, just not really a work/uni smell.

undrunkscotsman  ·  1232 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are the movies or books that show a story rather than tell it?

Inglorious Basterds is an interesting one actually. To be honest though, Tarantino probably benefitted from the WWII setting, as everyone's familiar with Nazi's and Hitler, so he didn't need to tell the story so much.

undrunkscotsman  ·  1232 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What have you accomplished this week?

I only had a cognitive linguistics unit in first year, and it mostly focused on child aquisition, but goddamn was it interesting. What are you doing for your phD?

caeli  ·  1232 days ago  ·  link  ·

I study how people process multiword expressions! My undergrad thesis was on whether people represent multiword expressions holistically or whether they are only built up compositionally during processing. My data suggested that people store highly frequent multiword expressions as holistic units. Now I'm looking at a couple of related aspects, like whether the frequency of a multiword expression influences how people process the individual words inside it. For my dissertation though, I think I'm leaning towards doing some more mechanistic stuff, like how do people establish representations of multiword expressions in the first place? How do we know which information will be useful and which information to discard? etc.

undrunkscotsman  ·  1236 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What have you accomplished this week?

Could be worth looking a little a morphology, and creating some basic morphemes as well

Aw damn :/ That's still really really cool though, sounds like you're building a language?

Quatrarius  ·  1236 days ago  ·  link  ·

My plan right now is to get a nice big pretty language-family chain going after all these sound changes, then maybe filling them out with... pretty much anything beyond the very surface. I want to finish looking up and figuring out sound change first.

undrunkscotsman  ·  1236 days ago  ·  link  ·

Gone on a trip across the country (Australia), and have started reading again and gotten somewhat more serious about my photography. Sounds little but they feel like important steps.

MCHammerBro  ·  1236 days ago  ·  link  ·

That all sounds really great and an awesome way to transition into some new and awesome habits!

You're doing linguistics? I'm a linguistics major too, we just finished historical ling this semester. What languages are you looking at?

caeli  ·  1234 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yay linguistics majors!! I was one in college (now I'm a PhD student in Cognitive Science and my main research area is psycholinguistics).

undrunkscotsman  ·  1232 days ago  ·  link  ·

caeli  ·  1232 days ago  ·  link  ·

Quatrarius  ·  1236 days ago  ·  link  ·

Whoah, whoah. You've made some assumptions of me. I'm kinda a language hobbyist, I've never studied it. I made a bare-bones phonology and a set of words for a proto-language and I'm putting sound changes to it and fucking around with it to see where it all ends up. No linguistics major buddies (at least not for a long while yet), sorry.

EDIT: Basically I conlang for fun. That sums it up.

undrunkscotsman  ·  1236 days ago  ·  link  ·

Quatrarius  ·  1236 days ago  ·  link  ·

undrunkscotsman  ·  1236 days ago  ·  link  ·

undrunkscotsman  ·  1257 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are the ethics of alien contact?

I can definitely agree with you about humanity's expansion becoming a resource grab, but it could also be that we become the resources for a more advanced civilisation. Either way it's gonna be pretty tricky to get right.

undrunkscotsman  ·  1257 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I made some more music today! Two of them!

Loving the feel of the first one, a cleaner recording would sound incredible! I'm with Rod, what licence are you throwing these under?