thundara's comments
thundara  ·  230 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 31, 2018

You ever have one of those weeks where you're just like: yeah. there might be a right-wing conspiracy?

Dude it's not a conspiracy when they're coordinating in the open.

I don't think Infinite Jest is itself depressing, but you'll want to avoid some of the books that came after. After reading Oblivion I didn't feel surprised that he killed himself.

From the wiki:

In general, Marshall Boswell claimed that this was Wallace's "bleakest" work of fiction. In Oblivion, he "uncharacteristically" provides "no way out" of solipsism and loneliness. Boswell further suggested that the collection "repeatedly undermines many of the techniques for alleviation" from loneliness, like communicating through language, that Wallace presented in Infinite Jest. "Oblivion," he writes, "remains unique in Wallace's oeuvre in its unrelenting pessimism."[26]
thundara  ·  284 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The G.O.P. Is Rotting

Fuck if even Brooks is seeing the light, maybe there is hope?

b_b  ·  284 days ago  ·  link  ·

"Seeing the light" is a relative term. This is the same column in which he still tries to make an intellectual case for Reaganomics. It's not as if race baiting and denialism and witch hunts are new to the GOP. Brooks wants to go back to the "good old days". I wonder how far back? Stonewall? Jim Crow? Red scare? Slavery? The good old days were shit and his party has been trying to get back there for a long time. He isn't seeing any light. He's seeing his own shitty reflection laid bare in the rhetoric of Trump et al.

thundara  ·  328 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anyone in Boston October 12-15?

Chances are I'll still be in town doing the same old thing next April too. Keep us posted!

thundara  ·  328 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 25, 2017

Implemented an algorithm from a paper, got invited out to drinks tonight by the author. Makes this a real pubski, rather than a labski, day for me!

Also, met with my adviser to discuss human patient data, kept calling our samples "animals". Old habits die hard?

thundara  ·  355 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 27, 2017

Do they freeze alright? Their parent cells are so finicky that somehow I doubt mine would be happy with a drop of DMSO in solution.

And making microglia:

Cumol  ·  355 days ago  ·  link  ·

I just asked my colleague, they don't freeze the EBs but the next step in their protocol (neural crest like cells, the ones that surround the EBs after a few days in culture).

thundara  ·  356 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 27, 2017

I made an embryoid body!

~2 months until I have the final cell type I'm looking at.

Cumol  ·  355 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you need any EBs blabla, let me know, we have loads of this stuff frozen :D

What do you want to diff. them into?

thundara  ·  355 days ago  ·  link  ·

And making microglia:

Cumol  ·  355 days ago  ·  link  ·

thundara  ·  377 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 6, 2017

A month and a half of treating, sorting, maintaining, and cleaning my cells every day to finally get the CRISPR knockouts I'd been working towards:

Now to do this 6 more times.

One of the genes I'd been trying to knock out was in a tricky region to sequence. I asked my adviser if I should spend a month debugging the PCR (after a post-doc had tried and failed for a month), just show the protein had disappeared by an antibody assay, or sequence the whole genome and look at that one gene afterwards.

They said sequence the whole genome.

The golden days we live in. Time to start making designer babies.

muthafuckin' eldritch magick up in this bitch

steve  ·  377 days ago  ·  link  ·

The golden days we live in. Time to start making designer babies.

I saw that movie...

but seriously, this is really cool. Thanks for sharing this stuff.

thundara  ·  384 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 30, 2017

Nom nom nom

I'm getting chunks of human brain today!

steve  ·  384 days ago  ·  link  ·

in any other place... that comment would seem strange... and yet... here, it seems completely natural and normal. congrats!

thundara  ·  384 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nom nom nom

thundara  ·  390 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anyone in Boston October 12-15?

Thu / Sun both work for me, keep us posted

thundara  ·  392 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anyone in Boston October 12-15?

I'll be around, I'm down for a pubski in meatspace.

thundara  ·  396 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump Tells Aides He Has Decided to Remove Stephen Bannon

Daily caller, but it's Stone who's... a sight to behold:

Not understanding that “personnel is policy”, Bannon refused to fight for any of his allies or those who helped get Trump elected. It’s as if Steve felt the grubby business of patronage was below him.

Bannon delivered the Trump State Department into the hands of the Globalists.

Bannon failed to push the President to use his most potent rhetorical and political weapon-Term Limits -in his current fight with the Congress. ... which sent the clear signal to Republicans in Congress that you can thwart the President and there are no consequences.

Tough talking Anthony Scaramucci, whom I like and whom I think was treated rather shabbily, was, as I said, a political suicide bomber. He took out two RINOS: Preibus and Spicer
am_Unition  ·  396 days ago  ·  link  ·

If somebody like Roger Stone is increasingly influencing Trump as others bow out, this could end more poorly than I'd thought it would.

Hopefully Kelly can keep things in check. I'd love to pretend that I don't really care, or actively want things to violently implode, but there are people's lives on the line, in many ways.

1) Nobody tells Trump what to do.

In one stark example, the president’s dislike of being told what to do played a role in his decision to abruptly ban all transgender people from the military: a move opposed by his own defense secretary, James Mattis, and the head of the Coast Guard, who vowed not to honor the president’s decree.

The president had grown tired of White House lawyers telling him what he could and could not do on the ban and numerous other issues such as labor regulations, said one informal White House adviser. While multiple factors were in play with the transgender ban, Trump has grown increasingly frustrated by the lawyers’ calls for further study and caution, so he took it upon himself to tweet out the news of the ban, partly as a reminder to the lawyers who’s in charge, the adviser said.

2) "Put it this way: 'Not my president' used to sound like an extreme slogan. Now it has more or less become the operating principle for key parts of the U.S. system."

Odder  ·  396 days ago  ·  link  ·

David Brooks is off today.

Paul Krugman filling in for David Brooks might be my new favorite thing.

tehstone  ·  396 days ago  ·  link  ·

And yet he has the gall to claim that he was "waiting for more information/all the facts" before making a statement on Charlottesville. This shit is far from new, but somehow it never ceases to amaze me.

thundara  ·  406 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: About this Googler's manifesto

Thoughts:

- It's pretty annoying to see the guy described as having a PhD in systems biology from Harvard. Word from a friend is he dropped out after 2 years. And even if he had the degree, it doesn't really doesn't make him any more an authority on psychology or gender dynamics than the layman. Especially when half his links are blog posts.

- The guy's an idiot if he expected to keep his job after calling his female colleagues more neurotic and less stress tolerant. Especially coming from a biology background where environment is just as stressful but the gender ratio tips the other way.

- Saying "I'm just commenting on general trends, don't take it personally" doesn't make what comes after any less offensive or wrong. The same goes for "PC culture isn't going to like this but..."

- The arguments from inherent genetic differences tend to always ignore the social differences, past and present, that favor one group over another. Most positive initiatives (select training and outreach to women, under-represented minorites) are evolutions on previous affirmative action policies as a way of addressing the whole "it's not fair to those of us in the present who aren't responsible for the actions of others in the past" argument.

- It's hard to read this:

I’ve heard several calls for increased empathy on diversity issues. While I strongly support trying to understand how and why people think the way they do, relying on affective empathy—feeling another’s pain—causes us to focus on anecdotes, favor individuals similar to us, and harbor other irrational and dangerous biases. Being emotionally unengaged helps us better reason about the facts.

And not think that this guy doesn't play well with others.

thundara  ·  415 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 26, 2017

"Nucleofector – Amaxa" and "Human Stem Cell Nucleofector Kit 1 – Lonza", I may need to play around with it though, as the protocol appears to have not worked very well (it was ~6M across 4 cuvettes, which may not be the optimal cell:cuvette ratio?...)

mk  ·  415 days ago  ·  link  ·

I used Mirus solution. It's been a while. That does seem like a lot of cells. For hMSCs, I'd do more like 500k per cuvette if I remember correctly, but they are big. Also, it was key that the volume was exact. I think it was 200ul. I want to say that I used the A-27 program, but I don't know if that is conserved.