thesummerking's comments
thesummerking  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What Do You Think Would Happen if Black People Began Arming Themselves?

How about this:

Fuck you and fuck everyone on this site which I am now sure is at least 90% -- unreasonable -- white people?

I'm out.

tla  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

It wouldn't surprise me if the site is predominantly white either.

But you know what? I'd hedge a bet that most of us understand why you're angry and why you're scared.

That doesn't make your behavior here acceptable. Your own fear has never been a good reason to make someone else afraid.

No one painted anyone as racists.

1. Just because someone mentions black people arming themselves =/= race war.

2. Opting out of the discussion because.. what? Because something is happening you don't want to discuss? Okay.

3. Thinking a race war.. on ASSUMPTIONS which were already plainly pointed out.

4. Shit is going down RIGHT NOW -- hence the discussion.

5. No one made it "flamebait" -- peoples' inability to address the topic without making the same assumptions you just posted makes it one.

tla  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

0. Not me.

1. Guns are made for 2 things. Sport and war. This isn't sport.

2. Opting out of the discussion because nobody is obliged to discuss anything.

3. Still not sport.

4. So are there black people defending themselves with the hypothetical guns they're arming with and why would I be worried about dying if it's not a race war you're talking about?

5. You're baiting the shit out of people here and responding in the most amazingly hostile way when they don't follow your script. Stop it.

thesummerking  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

How about this:

I'm out.

tla  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

It wouldn't surprise me if the site is predominantly white either.

People use People of Color.. how is that different than colored people? Ignorance isn't bliss, it's just ignorance.

arguewithatree  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

you're probably long gone now but PoC was chosen by PoC and not assigned to them by white folx so it's different by orders of magnitude

ILikePizza555  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What, did every colored person in the world go up to the Un and demand that they be referred to as "People of Color"? Otherwise you have no clue if it was" assigned" or not.

Whether you put the adjective before are after the noun makes no difference.

arguewithatree  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

Welcome to hubski. Try being less antagonistic if you want to have a conversation. Words and their order absolutely matter, especially in the context of identities.

Via textual analysis, you can trace the usage of terms. Here is a good NPR article that summarizes how the terms have changed. "People of Color" connotates a community, which is why many PoC prefer to use it. Obviously it's not without criticism.

ILikePizza555  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

Okay that article says nothing about the term "colored people" being assigned to them. Nor does it say anything about what the difference is.

And how does "People of Color" connotate a community while "colored people" doesn't? You can describe baseball fans as "baseball fans" or "fans of baseball" and it still has the same meaning.

arguewithatree  ·  1242 days ago  ·  link  ·

last quote of the article:

"People of color explicitly suggests a social relationship among racial and ethnic minority groups. ... [It is] is a term most often used outside of traditional academic circles, often infused by activist frameworks, but it is slowly replacing terms such as racial and ethnic minorities. ... In the United States in particular, there is a trajectory to the term — from more derogatory terms such as negroes, to colored, to people of color. ... People of color is, however it is viewed, a political term, but it is also a term that allows for a more complex set of identity for the individual — a relational one that is in constant flux."
Salvador Vidal-Ortiz, Encyclopedia of Race, Ethnicity and Society

"Colored people" was used to degrade and ostracize PoC by white people. There is something to be said about putting the noun before the adjective because it brings the definition back to being about the person, not their attribute (ex. person with Autism rather than autistic person is another one I've seen argued). It's about self-designation and reclaiming personhood.

eta: this wound up in my drafts for a long time and goo hit the point pretty well

goo  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

The way I've been taught is how the words define you. There is a similar discussion about whether to say "disabled people" or "people with a disability."

The idea is, "people of colour" indicates you are a person first, and being coloured is a secondary feature. "Coloured people" indicates you are first defined as coloured, and as a person after the fact.

thesummerking  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: An Honest Discussion About Transhumanism

So aren't we assuming being non-biological is better? Just based on our own intellectual missteps?

aeromill  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm assuming that technology can get to the point where it's better than biology in every way.

I have had to explain every little thing I've said to people who say they're capable of understanding complex arguments.

...We are a species capable of deciding. We can choose how this goes. I do not think it is viable nor intelligent of us to give up a humanity we have not explored. That does not mean forcing anything that isn't there. It means using it to our advantage. We have destroyed so much without altering ourselves genetically, then it stands to reason we can create just as much. That is all I meant.

So I get "#flamebait" because white people don't want to talk about white people's issues with black people/POC?

Quatrarius  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

You're very eager to paint people here as racists.

tla  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

I changed it from "#Grendel". I can change it back if you prefer.

But given how you're making a topic about arming up, then ensuring that people responding factually know that it's a post about "black people protecting themselves with guns", getting angry at people for opting out of the discussion, and angry at people for thinking a race war, and then issuing a series of comments about "When shit goes down", I think it's fair to warn people before they come in.

If you don't want this to be a flamebait post, then don't make it one.

thesummerking  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

No one painted anyone as racists.

1. Just because someone mentions black people arming themselves =/= race war.

3. Thinking a race war.. on ASSUMPTIONS which were already plainly pointed out.

4. Shit is going down RIGHT NOW -- hence the discussion.

tla  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

0. Not me.

1. Guns are made for 2 things. Sport and war. This isn't sport.

2. Opting out of the discussion because nobody is obliged to discuss anything.

3. Still not sport.

thesummerking  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

How about this:

I'm out.

tla  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

It wouldn't surprise me if the site is predominantly white either.

LEAVE BRITTANY ALONE. ...

I can't. It's too fun. lol

Okay. I do understand these arguments. People believe transhumanism is the way to go basically because they are lazy. That they want just another way to "one up" one another rather than seek either peace or equality.

What can we do about that? I think there are biological alternatives -- such as transcending the relatively "average" definition of humanity via willpower and a more evolved societal system.

For instance -- and this gets into some conspiratorial things: there may be already people on this planet which are/were "more" than human and this 'anomalous' state is indicative of our potential, as I posited before. The grasp for transhumanism as it stands today is therefore actually a faux pas by people who have no comprehension of our capacity and/or are engineers of our current situation.

bfv  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

You need more Nietzsche in your life.

user-inactivated  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

thesummerking  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

LEAVE BRITTANY ALONE. ...

I can't. It's too fun. lol

I'm not telling you to tell us how to react--which I think you could have figured out, what with all this information going around. I'm asking you why you all seem to think when we say, "You should be accountable" you immediately think of how you should tell US what to do, instead of how to tell YOURSELVES what to do.

I really laughed more than I should have. It's like watching a movie that you know the ending to. And it's still pretty entertaining.

Exactly what would be a better way to defend ourselves against a force which is neither there to protect or serve us? It's worse for black people but it affects ALL of us under tyrannical governments..which is all of us.

bfv  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't know. I know that collecting guns to protect yourself from the police is not a good way to not get shot by the police.

Any kind of antiauthoritarian politics in the US is crippled by being spread over too many mutually contradictory ideologies. Get the libertarian left to stop fighting primarily with itself, the libertarian right to let go of enough racism to see that the jackbooted thugs are still jackbooted thugs when they're stomping on brown people, the techies to start noticing that people who aren't their fellows get mistreated by the law too, ... , and get them to come to similar understandings with each other, and you have a coalition that can do things. This does not seem very likely.

graphictruth  ·  1240 days ago  ·  link  ·

I try to make one point from time to time. I feel there's too much focus on distinctions that make a difference.

I think the great problem with our current society is not racism, nor is it sexism, or class; consumerism or denialism. Those are all, rather, manifestations of one thing.

Assholes. Too many assholes. Or, Authoritarian Personalities, if you prefer. But I think "Asshole" is a better word - it's more difficult to argue that it's a feature instead of a bug.

When the shit goes down how many of you are going to stand up with your black friends or are you still going to be trying to ignore it and/or hope you don't die? I see so many of you not addressing the larger posts I made.

If you don't have the empathic capacity to see where this question is coming from then how are you going to react positively to us uplifting and protecting ourselves en masse or individually? If your first instinctual reaction to the IDEA of blacks organizing to protect themselves is fear and unwillingness to even discuss the reality of the situation in America, then white people need to start asking themselves a lot of questions because this is frankly ridiculous and...sobering.

What isn't explicit? Why do people think the only way we can evolve is through -- basically -- becoming cyborgs (by giving up the humanity we have not fully explored)?

bfv  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

You talk about biological evolution, but you're not talking about eugenics. Do you mean "will we keep evolving naturally" then? I would think so, if we face evolutionary pressure, but I'm not a biologist.

Then below you describe something that sounds like Nietzschean self-overcoming, but that has nothing to do with evolution and arose out of a creative misunderstanding of it.

thesummerking  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

So you're saying I'm a troll because.. this is a place for discussion and I don't agree with you? Wow. Such logic.

TheVenerableCain  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·

No, you're claiming to want discussion but try to shoot down any opinions that aren't yours without offering intelligent counterarguments.

thesummerking  ·  1243 days ago  ·  link  ·