tacocat's comments
tacocat  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 19, 2018

There was an actual Tacocat:

And thank you

_refugee_  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

He’s so gr8

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The FBI Mysteriously Close New Mexico Observatory
tacocat  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dear Hubski, how have the past 2 years been for you people?

I also don't know where to start. I was homeless or in rehab for like 11 of the past 24 months

swedishbadgergirl  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

I mean, I was extremely depressed for a lot of those months, so in a way it feels like no time has passed since I didn't fully experience it. But in hindsight I did a lot of really cool things in spite of that. Things that I now that I feel better am proud of even if I thought I was worthless then.

tacocat  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

I vacillate on my pride in my toughness but I'm in a similar boat to you.

swedishbadgergirl  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

It helps that I did something really cool recently, and that people have been telling me that it was really cool.

tacocat  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
tacocat  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 12, 2018

The depression has keyed up. Depression impairs my ability to do things that make me feel good so I don't do them so I feel worse so I don't do things that make me feel good because depression impairs my ability to do those things so I don't do them and I end up struggling to decide if I'd rather eat or sleep because I need to do those things but they become hard because they make me feel good but sleeping is hard right now because it's 1PM but eating requires getting out of bed which sucks so fuck all of humanity. What did you assholes ever do for me? I'm gonna watch YouTube videos about the Hulk until I have to pee, then I might have a drink and then return to bed to think about things that I'm not doing that would make me feel better which will prevent me from sleeping, another thing that might make me feel better because it's not something I'm doing very well right now. "I thought Bruce Banner died during Civil War 2, a terrible event miniseries I'm aware of in passing! Better waste time on this mystery!"

...hours later...

I guess I'll eat some Chef Boyardee because I ended up watching a video about him somehow after trying to figure out if She Hulk actually had sex with Juggernaut.

tacocat  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Twitter permanently bans Alex Jones and Infowars

I would think, possibly incorrectly, that people like Jones who are in media know the difference between the First Amendment and the concept of freedom of speech. The difference being government and companies regulating speech. Random assholes on the internet sometimes do not and that's the Infowars audience: idiots. They have this slippery slope argument with an end point being< "We can't start our own Twitter. No one will go there." The free market says, "For good reason." Jones & Co know it. Internet libertarians fail to see the flaw in their own argument or are willfully intellectually dishonest.

Sure you know all that. It's just kinda surreal to type it out because a minority of people are just that stupid.

am_Unition  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

"Let me use your company's platform to distribute hateful footage of me verbally harassing people on the reg and HEY WHY DID YOU DELETE MY ACCOUNT?"

johnnyFive  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

It really is, isn't it?

tacocat  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

What is Twitter? What is Facebook? Sure, microblogging and a social media network. Do those two things constitute a kind of virtual public square? I'd say hell no but the companies themselves can't even decide so they selectively and opaquely enforce the rules and that seems to make the assholes who get banned more riled up and even engender some sympathy.

The internet was a mistake.

johnnyFive  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

There are times when I'd agree with you. But I think it's better said that it's simply a tool, and like any tool, it can be used for good or ill. As it's become easier to use and more pervasive, this makes it much easier to take for granted. Now we're getting the wake-up calls, and the slow reduction in Facebook usage is reason for hope.

tacocat  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm honestly pretty curious whether the problems it's solved outweigh the problems it's created

johnnyFive  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's a fair enough question, but I don't know as it's really answerable.

tacocat  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

I could go either way. That was hyperbole earlier. It might be a good discussion question

tacocat  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 5, 2018

I've been too broke to buy food at several points recently. From about 10-3 is the only time I can expect to leave my apartment without being stuck in ridiculous traffic. And the grocery stores here are crazy busy if I don't go during that time window. I really need to move to a different living situation

tacocat  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "Conspiracies are hard. They're even harder when you're stupid."

LOL The writer is a republican strategist. And hey, I like the purpleness of the prose.

NPR covered this bullshit yesterday.

Reporter: Why do you believe this person?

Rube: Trump shows he's aware of it in public statements after Q posts clues

Reporter: Can you give an example?

Every rube:...no...

I hope whoever invented this is shitting himself in uncontrollable laughter right now

tacocat  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 18, 2018

Attempting a creative feat that's out of my usual scope of complaining about my life in one way or another. So if anyone on hubski who knows I respect them in one way or another is reading this, don't be surprised if I contact you in the future for advice and critique. I apologize in advance for disturbing these unnamed people.

I got a high degree of fuck everything conflicting with a high degree of basic human empathy or some advanced level empathy maybe. The result is a lot of just accepting that I'm batshit fucking insane and spitballing to see what I'm right about and what is worth saying. Tethered to the idea of what is a good design.

I'm aware of how confusing that all was.

lil  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

Attempting a creative feat is good.

Complaining about life is understandable.

Imagine a Venn Diagram in which "fuck everything" (anger, numbness, inaction) intersects with "high empathy" (caring, listening, observing). The overlap is probably a very creative space. Add design and it should be interesting.

tacocat  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd weakly argue it's the sole creative space that good art comes from

tacocat  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 4, 2018

tacocat  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 4, 2018

I don't know your artistic goal but it's generally better to draw large while you're learning

user-inactivated  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

Indeed. Most of the drawings I share on here are either on 5.5" x 4.25" cardstock or 8.5" x 5.5" cardstock. Any larger, and coloring them in would take forever.

These here, I was intentionally drawing small. I was trying to make with pencil, the type of lines a person makes on metal using hammer and chisel (like what you find on gun and coin engravings, for example). So the thicker dark lines represent deeper and wider grooves while the thinner light lines represent shallower and narrower grooves. If you click the picture and look at it in a 1:1 pixel ratio, you can really see how the darker lines are really dug into the paper.

It was an experiment, and a fun one at that. I intend to do more down the road, see how small and detailed I can get.

tacocat  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

24x30, somewhere in that area, is the general standard in art school. It's weird drawing that large if you're used to something more like 8.5x11 or even 16x20. You get used to it and drawing small becomes tedious. Especially when you can easily scan and resize things nowadays. But again, there aren't any rules so I'm not trying to say you're doing anything wrong

_refugee_  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

I really appreciated this comment series as I found it personally informative, and also polite and well-mannered (all attributes on all sides)

tacocat  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm quite pleasant when I want to be. In case anyone is surprised by that

_refugee_  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

Taco I am doing a cat 30/30 for July.

tacocat  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

Drawing 30 cats in thirty days?

_refugee_  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, kind of, I’ll PM you. If you’re on FB theres a group I can add you to

tacocat  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

Another because fuck it and I keep randomly running across this in the past few days

tacocat  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd post an example of a cat I drew but I'm in a bit of a hurry

user-inactivated  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

I figure, as long as I'm having fun, I'm doing something right. :)

tacocat  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

You set your own metric for success in art. Some people can't handle that but you seem to know what's up.

tacocat  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Do people change?

[I]s it possible to change the joists, supporting walls and foundations or who we are? What we believe, value and aspire to in life?

Yeah, and it's also possible for them to rot and collapse. The question begs for an affirmation with the end result being positive. My recent ex, who will no doubt read this at some point (Hi, honey!), seems to have responded to traumatic life events by becoming a hateful, bitter and violent human who bristles at the slightest criticism. Bristling can include a softball sized bruise delivered to the sternum of a nearby human BTW. And given the opportunity to heed red flags and advice from historical experience of basically every human ever coming out of the experience she was trying to free herself from, chose to return to the comfort and familiarity of misery rather than the scary world of change and independence, essentially dooming herself to becoming more bitter and more miserable.

My dad is a shit human being. He was maybe less shitty when he was younger. He volunteered to coach youth football when I was a kid. I don't know that he hit my mom until his late thirties. Over the course of his life his experience didn't square with his expectations and he's a crazy, broken old man now who I haven't spoken to in almost two years and the last time was pretty much serendipity so aside from one encounter it's more like 4-5.

In my experience, the capacity to change for the better is hinged on an ability to be self-critical that not all people are willing to go through. And even if a person is aware of their shortcomings the awareness itself can be cripplingly depressing. It's easier to just ignore the difficulties in life than to address them.

"When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back," isn't an instruction not to examine the dark parts of the world and your life. It's a statement that honest self-appraisal is fucking frightening.

Yes, most people change. No, your husband who throws you against walls is probably not going to do a 180 and become an awesome dude. The second sentence there is the honest answer people googling "Do people change?" are not truly looking for. What they're really looking for is justification for remaining in the company of toxic people. False hope is awful. It can be a punishment you give to yourself.

The ICE recruiting motto should be: it's like being a cop but you only do the really racist parts.

Trump appointed people to these positions who hate the work done by these offices. But then there's Ben Carson who seems to have not learned the mission of HUD for over a year. I struggle to decide if Trump is malicious in these decisions or ignorant. Little of both I guess

tacocat  ·  109 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 6, 2018

I'm Irish so I'm genetically programmed to be working in a peat bog. If I go to the beach I have to wear SPF 1000. You open the tube and a sweater literally comes out.

Quote from memory by Conan Obrien about being pale

I joke in good fun. If you have a tan he's way paler than you

AnSionnachRua  ·  109 days ago  ·  link  ·

There are actually some rather swarthy people in the west of Ireland who tan surprisingly well - supposedly from Spanish genes inherited back in the day when the western ports conducted a thriving trade. I don't know where I got mine, but it's the constant envy of my sisters, who resemble ghosts most of the year and lobsters if they go out under the sun.