tacocat's comments
tacocat  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: People.... funding the wall

I don't think Gofundme has a rule where you have to meet the goal or give the money back. This dude suckered a bunch of rubes out of $14 million

tacocat  ·  65 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 14, 2018

I was targeted with an ad for a Trump approval poll from the man himself:

The worst option is Okay. Also the survey is one question long with an explanation box.

tacocat  ·  75 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: QUICK! What's the last poem you wrote?

Stand up

Walk

You can keep going

Others have quit due to less

But don't stop

Not when you've come so far

Stumbling isn't failure

But to give up is

Life has sustained through eons

And it will sustain you

For the cruel

And the kind

No matter how much it seems that it wants you to give up

You are as resilient as life itself
lil  ·  75 days ago  ·  link  ·

yes, you are. we are.

tacocat  ·  75 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hey young people. Please, whatever you do, -DON'T VOTE!!!

tacocat  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 12-young-people-on-why-they-probably-wont-vote

Fuck these assholes. This one in particular:

I hate mailing stuff; it gives me anxiety.
francopoli  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

Shit like this is why Trump is president.

If I were a "young person" I'd be livid. Did NyMag run an article on 12 young people who probably will vote?

EDIT: close enough

ButterflyEffect  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

So I'm using Instagram polls to gage how many of my friends have voted...so far the split is 60/40 did not vote yet, to have voted. If that number doesn't change A LOT I'm going to be pissed. So pissed.

NYMag is just looking to paint those pesky whipper snappers as uninvolved so they have an easy story to run in the event elections turn sideways.

ThurberMingus  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

I guess I still thought, Okay, my vote is largely symbolic in this election because I’m in Texas. Even if Texas went blue, I’m pretty sure my vote wouldn’t matter anyway.

That's not an argument against voting. It's an argument in favor of voting in primaries. I know most spots are going Republican, so in the primaries I at least vote for the Republicans who aren't juggling fraud investigations or campaigning for bathroom bills. (Bonus: I get to vote against Cruz twice as often)

That's the spirit.

Back in 2000 Washington allowed you to switch parties as often as you wanted and the Republican primary was after the Democratic primary. So I voted for Dean, changed parties and voted for Bush because LOL! at least then they wouldn't field someone with a chance of winning like McCain.

Yeah that one still smarts.

tacocat  ·  79 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was rooting for Trump through the primaries because I assumed he had no chance in the general election. Whoops

Quatrarius  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

i have anxiety uwu

_refugee_  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

apparently the kind of anxiety that prevents one from printing out forms, filling them out, printing out postage, sticking it to an envelope with any adhesive, and - gasp - actually leaving the house to go as long and far enough as the mailbox, at which -- double gasp -- one is actually also expected to put the flag up!

seriously you don't have to interact with a single human being to send mail

moslydeaf  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

but what about the anxiety of knowing someone you'll never meet is reading and judging your handwriting and who you voted for.

It's simply too much.

_refugee_  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

i accept that some people strive to do the bare minimum to survive in life so they can spend the rest of their free time jerking around (literally i personally have been revisiting this acceptance just this morning)

what i can never truly accept is those sorts of people into my life

moslydeaf  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
tacocat  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Friday (Fake?) Fun Facts

I'm surprised she exists at all

tacocat  ·  101 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 10, 2018

tacocat  ·  102 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Recovering Emotions After 24 Years on Antidepressants

This is a terrible story of a woman without major depressive disorder being over medicated. It's the story of a failure of medicine. Three episodes in 24 years and she wasn't taken off of the drugs? These drugs aren't cures. They're crutches. I have three major depressive episodes where I struggle to move in a good year and I want to be on a minimum of drugs. I have major bipolar depression. This shit isn't for rational sadness caused by assholes making you feel bad for being overweight.

You shouldn't be made to feel numb by your medicine. This woman is an idiot for not seeking a second opinion 20 years ago. And it makes psychiatry look bad that her shit doctors had shit practices to the point where she has to speak out against them based on a problem that doesn't seem to be a major mental illness. It's mainly a failure of her doctors despite her stupidity which is understandable since she was following doctors' orders. (Still lady...) She should have been taken off the drugs when her symptoms subsided as they were tied to life events.

Major psychotic depression might require this treatment. Her description is of a dumpster fire of treatment.

tacocat  ·  104 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Times’ Trump Exposé Is a Compelling Case for Class War

Probably safe to say he at least liked rockets more than Jews

tacocat  ·  105 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Banksy painting Girl With Red Balloon 'self-destructs' after £1m sale at Sotheby's

Got me there. I went to state school

My general reaction to a Banksy is, "Neat." I could see a lot of his stuff on a shirt from Hot Topic. He does make a good point about commercial art though

The thing I hate the most about advertising is that it attracts all the bright, creative and ambitious young people, leaving us mainly with the slow and self-obsessed to become our artists.. Modern art is a disaster area. Never in the field of human history has so much been used by so many to say so little.

God, how many people have I beaten over the head with that quote. To make it truly ironic I lifted it from the .sig of a friend who works in advertising.

As if it being from an Adbusters interview wasn't enough.

mk  ·  105 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hirst's work seems pretty shallow, as if that's his provocative shtick, which runs the risk of only being shallow, and not provocative.

Banksy's work has a poetry to it, which makes it much more interesting. However, he does have a shtick, and I think stunts like this one risk going over the line, as there isn't anything actually poetic about it. It's more like a MTV punk'd episode than something thoughtful.

Personally, I'm tired of art that has to score high on the provocative axis to be successful.

tacocat  ·  105 days ago  ·  link  ·

I actually like some early Hirst that was about death and decay. Then he became artist du jour and got lost up his own ass.

Ultimately I feel visual art is irrelevant. It's been replaced by TV and movies. Nowadays any time I want to say something I think in terms of words. I also draw lots of dogs and cats. I like drawing dogs and cats

The Times notes that the loss for the seller will have been worse due to buyer's premium, seller's fees and storage costs.

If I recall correctly, art auctions are like any other auction - you pay about a 10% buyer's premium and with taxes and all the rest, your overhead is about 19-20%. If you can't sell a $500k Hirst for $600k, you've lost money.

tacocat  ·  105 days ago  ·  link  ·

A fool and his money.

(I really hate Damien Hirst.)

You're supposed to. That's the point. Thee and me are the unthinking proletariat, our sense of aesthetics too crude and unrefined to recognize the genius of the Saatchi-anointed. I'll bet you hate Jeff Koons, too - and Tracy Emin and Gonzalez-torres. That just proves how uncivilized you are.

I think you'd dig the Thompson book. It does a good job of explaining the value proposition of a head made out of frozen blood.

(Fuckin' NYT is insisting I give a shit about Cindy Sherman this morning and I mean I can't even)

tacocat  ·  105 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey. I have a degree that was supposed to help me appreciate Hirst and Koons. I just don't. I like some pretty out there stuff but not a guy who can't authenticate spin art or a guy who thought a billboard of himself was art. I met a lot of people who are artists who don't buy their brand of bullshit. It's like a joke being played on collectors. Now that I think about it that makes this Banksy even better because he literally did it

Did you go to Eton? no? Was your degree taught in a 300-year-old building where your grandfather also learned? No? Then it's not supposed to help you appreciate Hirst and Koons. It's supposed to help you appreciate Kandinsky and Magritte. You know. Stuff you can buy prints of at Ikea.

Banksy is like the Wyland of contemporary art. He makes stuff that the general public can absorb while getting the wealthy to pay for it. That way they can still feel a little street. They're not out of touch, it's all their friends who are out of touch. And see, if they have a Banksy and a Warhol and a Hirst they're real people, not like that bitch Veronica and that ghastly Mark Quinn she hung in her study after she made sure everyone knew how much she paid for it.

Robin Williams owned a Mr. Brainwash.

tacocat  ·  105 days ago  ·  link  ·

Got me there. I went to state school

As if it being from an Adbusters interview wasn't enough.

tacocat  ·  115 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Jordan Peterson is a weak-willed snowflake that cannot take criticism

He gets outsmarted by a stand up comedian and concedes his point towards the end. The most generous explanation for this dude is that he doesn't understand his own argument very well

tacocat  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 19, 2018

I was just on Facebook and I thought, "I like the ACLU more than most people I know." I don't have a huge friend group and a lot of them are unfollowed. Or stupid

keifermiller  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·

Fucking word.

I got a Facebook to try and keep up to date on my Boomer family members, but unfollowed them all because old people Facebook is crazy bad.

tacocat  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·

I keep mine for about the same reason. I really only see posts from things I've liked like the ACLU or The Onion and some anti AA groups I've joined.

I was trying to troll some conservative groups with misattributed Nazi quotes but Facebook started to show me posts from those groups after an algorithm tweak I guess so that got old. Slap the name Ronnie Reagan on a Himmler quote and you can get a lot of fake internet points

francopoli  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·

Facebook is that uncomfortable Thanksgiving dinner with your idiot uncle who believes in UFO's, vaccines cause cancer, and wants you to buy into his Multi-Level pyramid scam. Only instead of one day a year it is every day.

tacocat  ·  121 days ago  ·  link  ·

Multi-Level pyramid scam.

The other day a guy I know was promoting all natural gluten-free toothpaste. I thought it was exceptionally stupid

tacocat  ·  127 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Manafort Close To Plea Deal To Avoid Second Federal Trial

It's official. BUT:

Manafort's deal means that jurors and the public may not hear some details about Manafort's activities on behalf of the pro-Kremlin government in Ukraine and his ties, financial and otherwise, to oligarchs in the region.

This, in turn, may endear him to President Trump, who has already called Manafort a "good man" who has been unfairly targeted by the Justice Department. Trump has raised the idea of a pardon for Manafort with White House aides and others, a source told NPR.

tacocat  ·  130 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A brief history of batshit conservative boycotts

The Disco Demolition one is a little off base. The DJ who staged it lost his job when the station he worked for changed formats. He got hired at a different rock station in Chicago and started the disco sucks thing. It was not a political protest, it was a bunch of drunk kids being led by a shock jock in faux military gear, one of which was my step dad according to him. Also disco sucks. Say what you will about how cool A disco is then realize you only are aware of the GOOD disco music at this point unless you lived through it

I was unaware of the cereal thing. Putting lots of oats in your plumbing is a pretty questionable idea so I hope some of those people self owned on that one