tacocat's comments
tacocat  ·  59 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 21, 2018

I get to hang out with this thing tomorrow

vanessameowmay  ·  59 days ago  ·  link  ·

funny

tacocat  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 31, 2018

tacocat  ·  123 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 19, 2018

Feel better than I did in the last two pubskis. Three job interview in 4-5 days. Will hopefully get me out of where I am

_refugee_  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·

Best of luck to you taco. And besides the luck: you got this. 🌮 🐈

tacocat  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·

There was an actual Tacocat:

And thank you

_refugee_  ·  120 days ago  ·  link  ·

He’s so gr8

tacocat  ·  108 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 3, 2018

I may have a new job starting in a couple weeks. _refugee_ is going to be jealous. I'm going in to work with dogs as a kennel tech on the 16th. I have no idea why they want to wait two weeks. The owner made a point to say that she pays attention to how people leave their previous employers. Just bringing me in to see how it goes isn't enough for me to put in notice so if they're picky about that they should have brought me in sooner so I can put in notice sooner. The delay is making me a little nervous about whether it will work out. I've been working at a sandwich shop and being reminded how unreliable kids can be in getting to work has been testing my patience. I've been about ready to walk out the door a couple times. I was pretty desperate for a job so I picked one to apply for that I assumed was just looking for a warm body. And I've been having car trouble so sandwich shop 1.5 miles away ticked all the boxes. It sucks though and I'm nearing the point where I'm just going to go to a temp agency and work in a warehouse somewhere. Hopefully the dog job works out though. I think it will be good for my mental health.

tacocat  ·  283 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 11, 2018

I'm alternately living in hotels, my car and one night in an Air B&B that was a violation of several county ordinances. I detoxed myself off of alcohol which is not easy or a particularly good idea.

AND I'M STILL WORKING ON MY GRAD SCHOOL APPLICATION BECAUSE FUCK YOU LIFE! I'M TOUGHER THAN YOUR SHIT!

tacocat  ·  220 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

Adventures in homelessness!

At the end of March I got kicked out/left sober living. I possibly could have stayed but it had been 6 months and that was the agreed to length with my family. And I've had a social worker since January who was supposed to be working on getting me housing. That's the part I want to talk about because it was fucked up and I don't want to bitch about my mistakes and what a raw deal I got because of them.

I slept in my car for a bout a week. I got a couple nights in hotels but that didn't last long because I'm poor. After a week or two I got ahold of my social worker. I'd not seen her in a few weeks because of work. I got ahold of her by calling her supervisor. That process took a week or two. She told me the housing program she'd applied to for me took six months. A detail that would have been nice to know up front and I have no idea why she left out because I told her I wanted to leave sober living because it was expensive and not very beneficial. So we meet the next week and she has two more immediate programs I can apply for. The one through her agency involves the application that I fill out with her, a letter from a random shelter I've never been to verifying that I am homeless (pretty much because I said so, but I need a fucking letter from a stranger who doesn't know anything about me), and a medical records release. From the doctor who works in the agency I'm applying for the program through. I have to drive to the shelter, twice I think it was, drive to the doctor's building and wait like three days for the doctor to sign the ROI. That's a lot of fucking leg work in an area with piss poor public transportation to apply to a program meant for mentally ill homeless people. How the fuck do you do this without a car?

I get all this bullshit, give it to the social worker and a week or so later I get interviewed for the program. Not admitted. I do get admitted right away and get a call about an apart a few hours later. The state agency contracts with apartment complexes in the area. So I go to the complex the next day and fill out the application like I'm a regular tenant. And the next day I fail the background check for a misdemeanor. Why the fuck would you contract with a complex that is that strict about renting if you're serving a population not known for clean criminal histories?

A little about the agency, I don't know the exact structure of how things work in Georgia but we have community mental health boards that serve low income people who need mental health and/or substance abuse treatment. Which is great in theory. I've dealt with the ones in three other counties and had no serious problems. The one in a different suburb got me into a similar arrangement to the one I'm in now in a week and put me in a hotel while I waited. Whoever is distributing money here decided to combine the largest suburban metro county with a neighboring county that's not small itself. There seems to be some flex in how these different agencies run themselves and this one is a dumpster fire. Structurally and due to the burden they're under.

But back to the joy of dealing with them. I get turned down which was pretty devastating itself but now I have a second social worker who tells me there's an availability at a different complex with a roommate. I get a call a Week(?) later from a third social worker telling me that that unit is available and he'll call me the following week. I don't hear from him. I wait until Wednesday and try to call him. II tell my original social worker what's going on. By this point I've lost my new, housing social worker's number because I over estimated how long numbers stay in recent calls on an iPhone. She doesn't know who the other two are and they don't know who she is. They all do the same job in the same location in the same agency.

The timeline is not as clear at this point. It was about forty days from the denial to actually getting into the apartment. And the two new social workers are under the impression that I'm sleeping in my car the whole time. My mom was putting me up in Air BNBs. Which is not legally homeless here. I'm legally more homeless now than when I was in an Air BNB or a hotel. According to the first social worker I was homeless for six months according to the state because part of the definition is being in temporary housing which according to her a sober living qualifies as. So luxury apartment in boujie Cobb county: homeless. Hotel room in ghetto Cobb: not homeless.

I forgot the part where I had to meet social worker 3 in a parking lot one day for no reason I can figure out.

This is a shortened version of all this bullshit. Last year I was on the street for a similar amount of time and this has been so much worse. I spent a lot of that time last year in hospitals for a few different things. I got more dramatic sounding stories from that experience but repeatedly having the ladder kicked out from under me this time has been way more taxing. And I'm getting better treatment than a lot of the people in this area.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

tacocat  ·  235 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 30, 2018

I drove some rando four hours to Savannah. And spent two hours in the city while he figured out where exactly to go. I got over $200 in gift cards out of the deal but he was seriously testing my patience. FML. I might have an apartment later today.

tacocat  ·  311 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 14, 2018

I drew a kitty.

tacocat  ·  375 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 10, 2018

I have an interview with the Human Rights Campaign today to do some damn thing for a job. Not a bad gig if I go back to school for public policy.

weewooweewoo  ·  374 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good luck on the interview- kill 'em dead!

tacocat  ·  374 days ago  ·  link  ·

Not optimistic but I have a direct phone number to the campaign manager and I'll call tomorrow and plead my case since I didn't interview with her

nowaypablo  ·  374 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interview update?

tacocat  ·  373 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have another less exciting interview tomorrow morning. I may or may not follow up with HRC depending on how it goes. I did email the hiring manager yesterday. I also tend not to follow-up immediately at any position

tacocat  ·  341 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why Millennials Are Making Memes About Wanting to Die

"Uh oh. Deadline coming up. Guess I'll ascribe deeper meaning to eating detergent because it looks like candy. "

tacocat  ·  361 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 24, 2018

I've almost caught up with bills to the point where I can save for the GRE. Yay me.

lil  ·  360 days ago  ·  link  ·

Are you thinking of to grad school?

tacocat  ·  360 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes. For public policy

lil  ·  360 days ago  ·  link  ·

How much does it cost take a GRE?

tacocat  ·  360 days ago  ·  link  ·

$160

nowaypablo  ·  360 days ago  ·  link  ·

lmao thats unbelievable

tacocat  ·  360 days ago  ·  link  ·

I got some life experience about higher education that's more ridiculous than that

nowaypablo  ·  359 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hit me bro, I can't be shaken any harder than I've already been shook-ded

tacocat  ·  359 days ago  ·  link  ·

I can only really speak for art academia but if you want a graduate degree to teach it's helpful to look at the students in the class and realize the teacher represents one faculty position for all of the potential graduates

tacocat  ·  445 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 1, 2017

30 days living sober in sober living.

………yay………

lil Wrote my chapbook in non photo blue. Need to do it in pen and get it printed. Then do fuck if I know with it.

I'm just kinda drifting around aimlessly. Forgetting all sorts of shit. Accomplishing minor goals and going to unimportant functions.

—blergh—
lil  ·  444 days ago  ·  link  ·

Um. Make two? Send me one? I will send stamps. Collage it?

tacocat  ·  444 days ago  ·  link  ·

Of course I'm going to make them for people I know and internet folks. I just don't know if I should try to sell them. Prolly not

lil  ·  444 days ago  ·  link  ·

Donations gratuitously accepted?

tacocat  ·  444 days ago  ·  link  ·

Por supuesto

veen  ·  445 days ago  ·  link  ·

Congratulations!

(Did you deactivate your profile? Was a bit worried whether something happened.)

tacocat  ·  445 days ago  ·  link  ·

Why did you think that?

veen  ·  444 days ago  ·  link  ·

I saw a user-inactivated yesterday or the day before and I thought it was your account.

keifermiller  ·  443 days ago  ·  link  ·

I confess, I tend to check up on all ya'll's profile pages whenever I notice that string.

tacocat  ·  423 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 22, 2017

Going to a Moth Story Slam again on Monday. Gonna share my tale of woe in front of 50 strangers if I get the chance.

weewooweewoo  ·  423 days ago  ·  link  ·

Dude, kill it!

tacocat  ·  423 days ago  ·  link  ·

I will try. I had to try to put a happy face on some deeply depressing things. Normal people apparently don't like to hear stories of how your entire life shit the bed unless the dry cleaning bill got comped in the end.

weewooweewoo  ·  423 days ago  ·  link  ·

The moth thrives on tragicomedy. You gotta make it seem like a complete fiasco

tacocat  ·  423 days ago  ·  link  ·

Shouldn't need five minutes for that

lil  ·  423 days ago  ·  link  ·

Or unless you make it tragic and funny. After all, comedy is tragedy wrapped in a snowball.

Quiz Question for all of Hubski: what famous Canadian novel involved a premature birth and ensuing disasters because a stone was wrapped in a snowball?

oyster  ·  423 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah, sounds a lot like Fifth Business and if I didn’t know you had been an English teacher in Ontario before this would have given it away.

lil  ·  423 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes! Fifth Business! Great book. The stone in the snowball threw several lives off in that book.

tacocat  ·  459 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

If you noticed me sulking or posting less than cheerful things, my girlfriend broke up with me. And she chose to do it a week or so after I came to sober living in part to help our relationship and give her time to deal with her problems without worrying about mine.

Her psychopathic ex husband went through about 300 hundred pictures I took and posted to a photo licensing site and found two pictures of her dogs, lost his shit again, so she decided it was all too much and let me twist in the wind for a week before I finally point blank asked her what she was going to do.

And everything she said she couldn't deal with is something I can change or am trying to change. Or if was something that's been there from the start. That can still change.

And she thinks I'm being mean when I tell her how I feel. And she thinks I'm being mean because I can't talk to her or be her friend. I just can't hear how she's doing. Or look at happy pictures of her. It's bad enough my phone is full of pictures of her. She thinks I'm trying to make her feel guilty. I'm not trying. She should. She devastated me. I feel guilty when I hurt people. It's called a conscience. This is all my fault basic. She got what she wanted because she can't even be technically with me while two hours apart and I'm handling it wrong because I'm fucking upset to put it mildly.

I'm crying all the time for no outwardly apparent reason. And I'm surprised that's the worst thing I'm doing

user-inactivated  ·  459 days ago  ·  link  ·

If crying is the worse you're doing, you've come far. I'm sorry to hear things didn't work, but keep trucking on dude and keep trying to improve. Right now, you deserve the best you that you can be.

tacocat  ·  459 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you. I don't know how I'm doing it

lil  ·  458 days ago  ·  link  ·

On a tiny phone on a bus. Went on to try a "something beautiful" poem on your prompt. Found this. So glad you are clean. I know there's love out there. And so do you. It's just not always where we think to look.

tacocat  ·  458 days ago  ·  link  ·

You know more than most here what she meant to me. There aren't words for how I feel

tacocat  ·  381 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 3, 2018

Fresh out of county jail, ready for a new year!

😀

Well there's some perspective.

tacocat  ·  381 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's a facetious emoji but you have a lot of time to think in jail so I'm hopefully ready to get over some shit

You have my axe

lil  ·  381 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was just writing you a thank-you postcard for the book. I'll send it to the address at 30506, for now!

tacocat  ·  381 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you. It was called amazing by the subject of most of it. Then she added that she was personally hurt by some of the word choices even though she majored in English at one point and had the literal voice of the author explaining the intent. Which didn’t matter because reasons or something

nowaypablo  ·  380 days ago  ·  link  ·

how was the food?

tacocat  ·  380 days ago  ·  link  ·

Like really, really bad school lunch. No insect larvae though so not the worst