tacocat's comments
tacocat  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bill to protect Mueller blocked in Senate

You could switch to Jack Daniels except that it tastes like shit

kleinbl00  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I'll bet it wouldn't take long to find something that makes me McConnell-mad about Tennessee.

tacocat  ·  8 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bill to protect Mueller blocked in Senate
kleinbl00  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Hate to admit it, but I read about the opioid crisis, and I read about coal miners, and I read about Kentucky, and I hear Rorschach saying "and I'll whisper 'no.'"

I've even stopped buying bourbon. I've switched to Irish whiskey.

I'm sure the state is full of lovely people. But they've re-elected McConnell five times. And the actions of that mutherfucker severely test my empathy.

tacocat  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·

You could switch to Jack Daniels except that it tastes like shit

kleinbl00  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 14, 2018

I was targeted with an ad for a Trump approval poll from the man himself:

The worst option is Okay. Also the survey is one question long with an explanation box.

tacocat  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: mk's senolytic smoothie

That's probably a toxic amount of strawberries.

What could you eat 14 pounds of in one sitting and survive?

Quatrarius  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

rocks rocks rocks rocks rocks rocks rocks rocks

mk  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

That is an interesting question. If forced, I think I would choose cheese. It has a high density, and doesn't have too much going on.

Eriq La Salle once told the story of the 1lb of cheddar he ate on a bet. He ralphed for two hours, supposedly.

14lbs is a little less than three of these:

_refugee_  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

yeah my thought is that you'd at least be shitting terribly for days

OftenBen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

The cheese itself wouldn't kill you but after 14 lb has had it's way with my colon I would beg for death.

tacocat  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Good guys with guns kill good guy with gun

I have a theory that policing just naturally attracts assholes and bullies. I have anecdotal evidence to support this.

goobster  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think there is a more important nuance here you are missing.

Policing attracts people. And then those people get surrounded with the absolute worst assholes and bullies there are out there. They arrest them. They fight them in the street. They hear decades of stories from their fellow officers about the shit they have endured. And then, when they do catch a bad guy, and he gets let off with a fine and "time served", they realize the system is just fucked up, and they are powerless to do much about it.

So now you have a self-proclaimed "good guy with a gun", and you send him specifically into bad situations with "bad guys", and tell him to fix it. And then don't support him after he does that job.

While there are good guys in senior roles at every police department, who have weathered the storm and kept their humanity, there are far more that haven't.

Ever been to a policeman's barbeque at his house? Nope. Because you aren't a cop, or the wife of a cop. Their job is so stressful, and so shitty, that they ONLY hang out with other cops, because they don't know how to socialize with people who don't see the shitty side of the world the cop sees every day.

It is a fucked up system that takes good people with good intentions and turned them into jaded assholes who just want revenge against any perceived "bad guy" they can get their hands on.

(Sources: Friends who were cops. Dad worked with police forces, too. And I have a close friend who is a therapist for cops and works with them after they shoot someone.)

tacocat  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I dated a cop's ex wife. He threw hundreds to thousands of dollars worth of her stuff in a dumpster out of spite. I've also been harassed by cops because they were admittedly bored. I'm not saying this means your wrong or that my experience dismisses your point which are good, just when I try to think of the mindset that would seek to become a cop and pull people over to search their car at 1 AM for a burnt out headlight it aligns with guy who would throw a psychotic fit because his ex wife is dating more than guy that wants to help the community. Both exist but I think the majority breaks on the side of assholes who want to be paid to be assholes or bullies who want power.

oyster  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I imagine that’s the case in a lot of situations but I’ve also met a lot of Canadian cops with empathy, granted this has generally been in small places and maybe that’s why people push for more community policing.

_refugee_  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

there are a lot of US cops with empathy too bb

OftenBen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

You might as well be a literal goose stepping Nazi my dude.

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 14, 2018

Bumble also has prettier women than just about anything else

tacocat  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Still Life

Can't say why but I've liked this since I took it

_refugee_  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

This whole thread is ups lmbo

tacocat  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: QUICK! What's the last poem you wrote?

Stand up

Walk

You can keep going

Others have quit due to less

But don't stop

Not when you've come so far

Stumbling isn't failure

But to give up is

Life has sustained through eons

And it will sustain you

For the cruel

And the kind

No matter how much it seems that it wants you to give up

You are as resilient as life itself
lil  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

yes, you are. we are.

tacocat  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 31, 2018

The Wall Street Journal? Has Trump angered Rupert Murdoch?

am_Unition  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hearing Andrew Napolitano rebuke Trump's acting AG as unqualified for the position was also strange.

Edit: wow, WSJ is also breaking this story

Bull fucking shit. How do you justify swinging from one extreme to the other cause your guy lost?

reddit_sucks  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Because I thought I was like minded to most liberals but every time I tried to discuss anything they immediately insulted my intelligence, or called me a racist nazi etc. plus #metoo and #believewomen ran a false accusation truck over my family and I.

Just your statement says it all. I’ve never been on any extreme. I was a moderate liberal. Believed in health care for all, pro choice, etc. but liberals attacked me so hard that I started looking at the other side and they seemed to make a lot more sense to me. And we’re much kinder and rational when I disagreed with them.

I still believe in health care (although as a mentally and physically fit young person who makes healthy life choices, I’m starting to wonder if it’s fair for me to have to shoulder an equal percentage of the obesity crisis as someone who drinks 3 cokes a day and smokes cigs). I still believe that women should have a choice (but, within reason, and not necessarily fully paid for by taxpayers).

I’d just vote conservative now for sure as every time I try to have a rational discussion, liberals almost immediately go to an extreme and call me a racist/sexist moron.

I also started watching full clips of people like tucker Carlson (instead of just the 10 seconds Trevor Noah shows). The left always shows a 10 second clip of conservatives and manipulates viewers to believe that person is some kind of homophobic, racist monster. When I started watching the whole clip I realized the left was actually the one manipulating me and that a lot of the conservatives they were targeting actually seemed quite reasonable/rational/polite/etc.

ThurberMingus  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

So it doesn't sound like you changed your opinions much, just decided that you agreed more with the conservatives you talked to more than the liberals you talked to, and like Tucker Carlson more than Trevor Noah.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren't a racist/sexist moron, but the remaining options are (1) you are talking to an idiot, you picked the wrong liberal to talk to, or (2) you have such fundamentally different assumptions that rationality doesn't matter.

In response to (1) - if the first person to engage is an idiot, don't judge everyone else as an idiot too. Try not talking politics on platforms that encourage idiocy. Also, if you aren't talking to a troll, 99 times out of a hundred the conversation belongs in category (2).

About (2) - We can rationally talk about euclidean geometry if we agree to start by assuming that straight lines are straight and flat planes are flat. But if we don't agree on assumptions and try to have a rational argument anyway, we will end up calling each other morons and idiots because one of us might be brilliantly explaining Euclid's proofs while the other proves them all nonsense with the assumptions of hyperbolic geometry.

Politics isn't about rational discussion. It is about assumptions. Assumptions about who is important, and when, and why. Assumptions about who yields when there are conflicting rights.

tacocat  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Post Malone sucks

Say what you will about Post Malone but at least he's not an objectivist.

GOD I never made that connection. I knew there was a reason Rush was always just short of awesome and just long of grindingly annoying.

tacocat  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh they're Randian as all hell. Go back and listen to "Free Will."

tacocat  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hey young people. Please, whatever you do, -DON'T VOTE!!!

We both know morons

reddit_sucks  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Attitudes like this are the reason for #walkaway. Stop calling everyone these extreme names if they don’t agree with you. Once I stopped watching the daily show every day and actually opened my eyes, I realized I (liberals) was the one who was actually brainwashed, not the conservatives like I had believed for so long.

tacocat  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·