sounds_sound's comments
sounds_sound  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 293rd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

singers voice is either gonna be a deal breaker for you or a winner.

sounds_sound  ·  98 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Probably my personal favorite piece of graphic design I've ever done

Nice one. I like the colors. I remember learning a trick in school about copyright. If you ever want proof of authorship what you can do is mail yourself a copy of the design and then never open the letter. This way, the envelope is time stamped and the image inside is kept safe.

tacocat  ·  98 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's not as secure as an actual trademark or copyright. Yes, you own what you create. I was just worried about a legal fight I can't afford. But I have a hard copy that proves an ownership that predates any appearance online of my design and that hard copy is from the government. I was more paranoid about legal fees than being unable to prove ownership. I'm still not on rock solid ground because IANAL (my favorite internet acronym). I don't know either solution is rock solid to be honest. It's not doing me any good just sitting there in my head though

I'm just comfortable enough to start sharing with the combination of the copyright office recognition and that that will help me plead my case to the online creative community should I encounter any monkey business as I decide how to monetize an idea in an age where ideas aren't all that valuable. So, fuck you pay me, to the point where I say fine that's enough, I'm fine with reproduction. It's a weird world to navigate when you think you have anything of value that can be copy pasted in half a second or reproduced easily by anyone with Illustrator.

sounds_sound  ·  121 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My Opa

Hey Buddy. Sorry for your loss. I know he meant a lot to you.

sounds_sound  ·  311 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sufjan Stevens - Tonya Harding (Official Audio) - YouTube

I didn't realize that attack to Nancy Kerrigan was at Cobo Arena. My first concert was there (Green Day and Pansy Division).

My girlfriend (and I) have been watching a show called This is Us on Netflix. It's a family drama, told through a multigenerational anachronistic lens. Each episode has a profound story line and almost without fail, a Sufjan song is played that perfectly matches the sentiment on screen. That breathy voice, those chamber chords. He nails it every time.

sounds_sound  ·  455 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 19, 2017

Champagne tastes on beer budgets.

hey pal. you told me you wanted your studio to be bad-ass so i drew some bad ass details that are apparently too rich for even your blood. :) that entry is still gonna be cool, but less so now. oh well. next project right? right?

here's a teaser for everyone. the view is looking up from the creek toward the studio.

I love that thenewgreen wants a free-standing studio but refuses to upgrade from Pro Tools 7

sounds_sound  ·  455 days ago  ·  link  ·

Champagne tastes on beer budgets.

thenewgreen  ·  455 days ago  ·  link  ·

It looks pretty awesome. I plan to record many a song there. Using protools 7. :-)

ecib  ·  455 days ago  ·  link  ·

thenewgreen I can get you a used shipping container for a thousand bucks. It's on trend and really captures that raw, re-purposed vibe creators are so fond of. Problem solved.

WanderingEng  ·  455 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh wow. One of my "maybe within reach" goals is to buy a pretty piece of land and build a small (not tinyhouse) home on it. Something more modern than the standard cookie cutter houses I see. Big windows and big open spaces inside. Your teaser looks a lot like the type of thing I envision.

sounds_sound  ·  471 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Andy Shauf : The Party

It's a killer album.

Try this too :

off of 'Capacity'.

sounds_sound  ·  493 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 231st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Glad you settled into that one. I was worried it might slip past you, because I know how much you would enjoy it. I think I told you that I saw him live as well. Excellent show. First, the mix was just perfect. Sounded so good. Second, they would do little improvisations here and there, during each song. Made it really fun and intimate. Not sure if you tours the states yet. Be on the look out!

sounds_sound  ·  512 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 228th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Let's see.

Andy Shauf : The Party

Elbow : Little Fictions

Tame Impala : Currents

and The War on Drugs

sounds_sound  ·  564 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anyone listening to S-Town?

I never really got a sense of quantites for anything throughout the podcast. We had a witness of one gold bar coming from a box that maybe had more bars inside, but that was an assumption. We also have no idea how much guilding was actually being done, but because he was the only one in the country doing it, it could have been a lot.

Now I feel like I'm destroying a good storey by analyzing it too much. What I mean to say is "Thar's gold in them hills."

Also:

sounds_sound  ·  565 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anyone listening to S-Town?

I finished it last night. Plowed through it actually. I am a binger at heart. I thought it fantastic as well. One thought I had that I didn't hear anyone on the podcast touch on, and maybe I missed it, but to me, there is an obvious connection between the gold bars that he has and the fire guilding that he does. i'm just wondering if his stashed gold in the forest isn't about him being rich, and more about regularly buying and using gold for horology. Thoughts?

veen  ·  564 days ago  ·  link  ·

Is there not a difference in quantity? I imagine that you can firegild with far less than some bars. Plus, there's a bunch of hints at him never really being in much financial trouble, despite what the cousins say about his financials at the end.

sounds_sound  ·  564 days ago  ·  link  ·

Also:

sounds_sound  ·  603 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "Can I Sit Next To You" -Spoon

looking forward to this album. thought their last was so-so. first half better than the back end. both ga ga ga ga ga and transference were near the top of my playcount from the last ten years though. not many bands can do so much with so little.

i think the first song i ever heard from them was 16 years ago now. crazy that 16 years ago is still in the 2000's.

Formerly_Me  ·  603 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm really excited for this album too! And they have just mastered creating groovy and emotional soundscapes using so little. In a way it reminds me of Battles.

sounds_sound  ·  640 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 210th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Ordered! Thanks for the tip. Tim's first record was an excellent concept album. His pop sensibilities are sophisticated. I always thought that, with the right machine behind him, he could have (and may still become) a pop star.

thenewgreen  ·  640 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.

I find that when a band becomes successful, their follow up albums tend to sound somewhat over produced - now that they have access to the best studios and producers. With Bowie's work, since the 00's, I could always hear that cold, shiny quality that a professional studio brings, but they were still warm somehow. If feels to me like a lot of care went into the production of his work, all the way up the sound engineering chain.

sounds_sound  ·  690 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 203rd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

New Tribe album is excellent.

And I finally cracked open the new Solange. Likely album of the year for me. Which reminds me. Hubski should do a top ten albums of 2016 thread.