rrrrr's comments
demure  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Pretty fitting for a wrong link, though...

veen  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

God dammit...

Shame on me. Was gonna post both but confused my tabs.

rrrrr  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: ‘I Fundamentally Believe That My Time at Reddit Made the World a Worse Place’

An alternative would be to charge users for entry to the site. If the charge were set low enough it might work. But I don't know how many people consider social media sites to be enough of an enhancement to their lives to be worth paying for. It's hard enough to get people to pay for music, art, movies, books, etc. Also by charging a fee you'd be skewing the demographic towards wealthier people, which would suck.

goobster  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think it is time for a pay-social media site. There was one on Kickstarter that I almost funded a couple weeks ago.

Ah! I found it. Here it is: OpenBook

I'd also like to see a pay model that incentivized participation over browsing. A "like/heart" would cost you a single Dingleberry, and and downvote would cost you 10, but a 1,000-word article with original images would award you 10,000 Dingleberries. Or something like that.

Make the base price like $10/month, and you weed out the majority of trolls. Then you incentivize participation, provide up/down rankings, good content moderation tools (flag/edit/delete comments on your content), and an anti-griefing system (like Hubski) that neuters the assholes, and that would be WORTH $10/mo.

Could work... for a while... until r/The_Donald found it.

francopoli  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Would work for years until a Digg-style mass migration swamps the culture of the place and it changes over a week. But I agree. I pay for Totalfark (mentioned elsewhere) as there is a lot less toxic garbage when you have money involved.

Then again, as someone that's been around, you may recall SomethingAwful. $10 a month and everyone on that board was cancer. Maybe the pay sites would self select their demographic.

The one thing that worries me is that when the site gets popular enough and hosting costs, moderation costs, legal fees, etc grow, the pressure will be on to turn on the access to cash. that means ad revenue, featured posts/products, native advertising etc. I wish I was smart (and rich) enough to have a solution to this problem.

goobster  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well, the thing about a pay-for social media site is that it is a product/service, not a Public asset. So if people become dicks, you just end their account. Bam. Done. No more r/The_Donald.

francopoli  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

One of my favorite areas on the Internet are the Totalfark forums. $5 a month is a great gatekeeper that keeps a lot of the reddit and 4chan edgelords out.

Payed entry skews the conversations to older, established, wealthy people, true. It also attracts people like me that are fed up with the public facing internet. The opposite side of the equation is a site like 4chan where the abrasive culture weeds out people. That model has the effect of skewing conversations to young, poor, college-aged, STEM students. At least the payed entry has the potential to not be an echo chamber, at least not as much of one.

One thing I wish Hubski did was not allow Google to index threads. The astronomy forum I am on blocks people from reading topics unless they are logged it. Once a month or so, someone will complain about that, and I'm glad the people running the site are digging their heels in. Nothing inside the site shows up in a google search. Pain in the ass if you are looking for an answer, a life saver if you are trying to have a conversation.

Hubski has a better mechanic than reddit: because it's sharers and followers I find it makes me think more about whether other people really need to see what I'm about to share or whether I'm wasting their time. And it's great to be able to remove someone from my feeds without censoring them for others.

Then again, I felt similarly about reddit when I first used it back in 2008 or so. Reddit seemed like such a sensible site where people with expertise discussed serious topics, compared to the fluff on Digg. You would think twice before posting on reddit. Things change, and it's still an open question whether Hubski's more civilized culture would survive a huge influx of users. Especially if that growth put it on the radar of the various propaganda "influence" campaigns.

But one thing Hubski certainly has going for it is the lack of corporate pressure for growth at all costs. This guy hits that nail right on the head.

francopoli  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Once you hit that level where the site cannot be funded by donations and you have to run ads, that is the beginning of the end. Keeping the site small, but not too small, makes the community more civil, or at least that is the way it seems to me.

rrrrr  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

goobster  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah! I found it. Here it is: OpenBook

Could work... for a while... until r/The_Donald found it.

francopoli  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

goobster  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

francopoli  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

HeroicGomez  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

It helps that there's only maybe a couple dozen particularly active users here. So their opinion carries a lot more weight on whether or not your content gets positive attention than it does on a larger platform like Reddit.

Reddit turned at some point from an open forum to a subversively curated platform, and though no one can pinpoint a particular moment, such a turn became inevitable once they prioritized revenue growth (which, if they were going to survive at their scale, they had no choice but to do).

rrrrr  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I may not get to vote. This guy is pulling the slimiest shit

Sorry you're subject to his fuckery. I hope you find a way to register. It's terrible the way these Republicans are systematically gnawing away at all the supports of democracy, trying to get the whole system to fall permanently to them. There's nothing they won't stoop to. It drives me nuts just observing from outside the USA, but it must be so much worse to be directly on the receiving end. May all you decent Americans win your country back from these crooks, soon.

tacocat  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've moved since 2016 so I had to re register. Making me potentially subject to this fuckery as I haven't gotten my card yet.

rrrrr  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Rod Rosenstein resigns. Or not. To meet Trump on Thursday

There's a lot of confusion about this right now it seems. He may have been fired, or be about to be fired.

This page currently says he's expecting to be fired today, and that Mueller's Russia investigation could be at risk.

Edit: Obligatory Mueller firing rapid response link.

Time to update those Facebook politics quizzes: Hitler or Stalin, which one are you? Since by the new rules of political debate, anyone to the left of Literally Hitler is Literally Stalin.

rrrrr  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Man who punched a Nazi ordered to pay $1

Hey, this guy has been through it. He also had to suffer the indignity of being yelled at by his dad while broadcasting a live chat with his Nazi buddy. If only there were some way of not constantly being humiliated for being a Nazi...

That is truly impressive. Particularly how they don't recycle the individual letter images, but use a different one for each instance of the letter. And the meticulous positioning.

Can we contrive for him to have a big public Twitter argument with Donald Trump? I feel it would be entertaining, for a few minutes. Then onto the next thing.

rrrrr  ·  98 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 287th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Her whole new album "Shelter" is kind of great.

Trump people

simple bayesian analysis

I think I see the problem here...

b_b  ·  104 days ago  ·  link  ·

Lol. Didn't quite mean it in the literal sense. More like, even a moron at some point should start to think, "If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck..."

b_b  ·  108 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was assuming he would try to hire that coal exec who went to jail for killing workers, then lost the Republican Senate primary when he got out. Maybe he's saving that guy for department of labor.

am_Unition  ·  104 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  108 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yup.

It was a wonderful forty minutes or so yesterday

rrrrr  ·  119 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Russia Conspiracy Is Unraveling Across the Pond

The Spectator is a relatively respectable and established conservative news magazine in the UK. Good to see that they will publish something like this that is somewhat critical of the present (horribly incompetent) Conservative government. But yes, the story about CA having the emails a month before Wikleaks needs more detail and independent corroboration before we can treat it as fact.

rrrrr  ·  139 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Keep it classy, Spokane.

A month after Charlottesville, Allsup told white nationalist podcast Fash the Nation that he tried to take over WSU’s College Republican club with “fashy goy” (fascist, non-Jewish) friends.

“If you are a college guy, or a college girl, and you are on a college campus, if you have three or four fashy goy friends, you can take over your school’s College Republicans group and move it to essentially being an alt-right club,” Allsup said.

“You can easily do that and it gives you access to so many more resources. It gives you political credibility. It gives you all of these things that come along with the name of being a Republican.”

And one of his buddies:

“I work in HR firing n----rs and spics all day,” he said during a March 2016 podcast. “Before that, I was in the army and I got to kill Muslims for fun. I’m not sure which one was better: watching n----rs and spics cry because they can’t feed their little mud children or watching Muslims brains spray on the wall. Honestly both probably suck compared to listening to a kike’s scream while in the oven.”

Republican politics today, folks.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  139 days ago  ·  link  ·

Fash the Nation

I guess they're done pretending, then.

rrrrr  ·  140 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 281st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Nick Drake's mum: