rk's comments
rk  ·  2222 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why is there no way to have multiple tags for a post?

Amen. Tags are fun, especially when we try to be creative in selecting them. Unfortunately, it makes it rather hard to find content. Forcing people to select only one tag for a post would usually result in a) people not tagging a post at all or b) people selecting a very general tag as to be worthless or c) people using a 'creative' tag resulting in a tag "ghetto" ( forgot who first used that word)

rk  ·  2442 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What book are you reading right now?
I love my Kindle but I find the screen to be too small. It'd be nice if it were 8" instead of 6". I mostly read pdf s now ( papers for my thesis ) and I do not enjoy reading them in landscape mode.
lessismore  ·  2442 days ago  ·  link  ·
Too bad the Kindle DX is so prohibitively expensive. :(
I can see the argument.
The Theory That Would Not Die. Reading loads of technical books, too. PostGIS in Action and Spatial Databases: A Tour. And a smattering of web development books.
rk  ·  2497 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Give Me Something To Read’s 2011 Highlights
Great find :D Now if only I could find the time...
rk  ·  2514 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Automating bullshit detection.
The reliance on PolitiFact's APIs provides a single point of failure. Then something like a collaborative fact checking platform would be nice. Something like Wikipedia but for fact checking.
rk  ·  2515 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Google Now Censors The Pirate Bay, isoHunt, 4Shared and More
Oops. Drat. My bad. I thought hubskis redundancy filters would block it. Turns out it had a different URL.
rk  ·  2517 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Augmented-Reality Contact Lenses.
Think of the possibilities: zoom, playback, infrared vision, x-ray and all those superpowers XD

OT: Man, have I been away that long? Since when did hubski have user tagging?

mk  ·  2517 days ago  ·  link  ·
rk  ·  2522 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: USB Stick Contains Dual-Core Computer, Turns Any Screen Into an Android Station
Screw touchscreens, I want a retinal implant XD

Though it'd be nice if the Cotton Candy is a 3G modem too. That way you won't be too dependent on the host device's networking hardware.

You might want to check out the Raspberry Pi, too. Granted, it is a bit bigger but at $25 a pop, it's a steal :D

mk  ·  2522 days ago  ·  link  ·
The site is down?

Thanks though. I checked out the wikipedia article. That is very cool. Do you think it is going to be realized?

dublinben  ·  2503 days ago  ·  link  ·
This project will definitely happen. They are nearing the final stages of production right now. There's no reason to doubt they can deliver on their promise to have a $25 linux compatible computer on a stick.
mk  ·  2503 days ago  ·  link  ·
I really hope so. Let me know if you get word of it.
rk  ·  2523 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: EU Adopts Resolution Against US Domain Seizures
A shame I can't vote. It's rather frustrating how the decisions of American lawmakers could affect the whole internet. We really should start treating the internet like an ocean. As a shared resource. What happens in one country could have ripples that affect the rest of the world.
thenewgreen  ·  2523 days ago  ·  link  ·
Absolutely.
rk  ·  2523 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Questioning University
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm currently earning my masters degree in geomatics engineering. I wanted a CS degree after but after reading your post, I think I'd get a math degree instead :)
mk  ·  2523 days ago  ·  link  ·
Ha, np. Like I said, I don't think a CS degree isn't worthwhile, but considering that the time and money spent is the same, I think you can get more bang for your buck. One problem I find with CS programs, is that people come into them with such a wide range of skill, and I think that is pretty disruptive. When you enter a math or physics program, they test you from the outset and make you take prerequisites without credit if you are not up to par.

My university's CS department didn't have any programming skill prerequisite as far as I know. It would be a different thing entirely if it were expected that every student should be intermediate programmer before taking classes for credit.

rk  ·  2525 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A Brief Rant on the Future of Interaction Design
I don't see any mention of Microsoft in that post.
mk  ·  2525 days ago  ·  link  ·
I believe much of this was taken from a short video by Microsoft:

That video was discussed a bit ago here: http://hubski.com/pub?id=7377

cgod is probably referring to that.

rk  ·  2525 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Steve Jobs wanted iPhone on its own network, carrier-free
It sounds like he wanted a wireless mesh network. I wish he succeeded with that too. I think it's still an active research area. We'd be awash in EM radiation, too. XD
rk  ·  2525 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: US Bill Creating the Great Firewall of America
Yeah. All it would take is one controversial link. This is a lot worse than the DMCA. At least that one had save harbors. The SOPA is a kill switch.
rk  ·  2597 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: On Hubski topics
Any suggestions on how to combat this ghettoization?
mk  ·  2597 days ago  ·  link  ·
I am willing to listen to all. The idea is that your feed will remain catered to your tastes, and that you can stop following anyone that posts or shares ghetto content. Of course, comments are another matter.

I'm adjusting to the difference between 'my feed' and 'all posts', and I think that I feel better when I spend more time in 'my feed'. :) It might be a crazy notion, but I am wondering if discovery can be made good enough, perhaps 'all posts' could be dropped all together. It is a bit of a shift in thinking, but it makes the focus of the site singular. All thoughts are appreciated.

As for tags, I've been thinking/talking on it. I think we will stick with one for a while, but if we add more, it will be just one more. The focus upon following tags and following people has a significant effect upon the site, and I want to address a few more issues before I mess with that dimension.

But atm, to get the best experience, my suggestion is to follow no more than 20 people, and spend some time getting to know the people that you do follow.

alpha0  ·  2597 days ago  ·  link  ·
May I be frank, dear mk?
mk  ·  2597 days ago  ·  link  ·
Absolutely.
alpha0  ·  2597 days ago  ·  link  ·

And a contingent issue is the (possibly catch-22) interaction of promoting Hubski (here is looking at you mr. x.. ;)) and not having a large enough community that would manifest the issues that we are addressing.

mk  ·  2596 days ago  ·  link  ·
>Well, clearly there is a (perhaps fundamental) tension between a "thoughtful web" and a "reddit alternative".

Most definitely. That "reddit alternative" was some spin, however. Kevin (who wrote the article) did a nice job, but I think the "alternative" part was more him speaking to his audience than I was. Personally, I don't need a reddit alternative. I still drop in reddit and hn from time to time. I'm not trying to fix the "Problem with Reddit", if there is one. No. I hope we are doing something here that is about here. Part of anything is evolution for sure, but part of anything good is unique. :)

That said, the article (and those actions of mr. x) do bring people to Hubski with impressions that will set initial conditions for behavior and expectations. No doubt, that is real. Perhaps success (in this respect) could be measured by a resilience of the individual user's experience to the variability of those coming to it.

>In general, I belong to the philosophical camp that takes the long-standing (and material "real life") human society as the 'mother nature' of mediated societies. There is n thousand years of social thought that informs the norms of long standing civilizations. We have, thus, various sources to tap for guidance on (a) thoughtful spaces of discourse, and (b) stratified social spaces. (Remember that "filter" I mentioned in my few initial posts?)

I absolutely agree that MN knows us better than we can ever. It's really learning from her that can be difficult. With that in mind, what is done, and what is not done can be equally important. Wouldn't it be nice if you and I could apply some of our own filters/philosophies (or not) to our own content and, by doing so, build the relationships/community that we desire? I'm watching, and listening, and reflecting.

>I also hold a perhaps atypical view (for a geek who studied architecture and considers it a fundamental & civilizational creative action) that social and system architecture can not universally address the shortcomings of the humans. (Note 'universal', please.)

I agree. I don't want to assume too much. As an ideal, I'd like the site to say: Here is a platform, and here are some ways it can be used: Do what you like! The trick is that what I like shouldn't prevent what you like. But isn't that always the trick? :)

Thank you alpha0. Please always be frank. It's very valuable to have your perspective. Mine alone is not enough, and you can take a longer view than most.

alpha0  ·  2596 days ago  ·  link  ·
Hubski is great and you are doing a fine job as the community steward. I guess all I am saying is choose whether you want to solve a social problem or simply carve out a thoughtful space in the wild wild web :)
mk  ·  2596 days ago  ·  link  ·
Thanks α0.
alpha0  ·  2597 days ago  ·  link  ·
Alright, prepare my Turing Award while I solve the unsolvable. ;)

Three distinct concerns interact here; (1) information processing bandwidth (2) Human psyche (3) Human society.

1, 2, and 3 are utilized by HN and SO to (somewhat) successfully address the problem. Both approaches are, of course, meta-ghettoization protocols in service of affecting social norms, e.g. HN mercilessly applies the no-false-positive strategy but does dip its toes liberally in the group-think pool. SO milks the human vanity to employ a free army of thoughtful editors (but still, lots of noise in SO lately)