a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
rk's comments
rk  ·  2687 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why is there no way to have multiple tags for a post?

Amen. Tags are fun, especially when we try to be creative in selecting them. Unfortunately, it makes it rather hard to find content. Forcing people to select only one tag for a post would usually result in a) people not tagging a post at all or b) people selecting a very general tag as to be worthless or c) people using a 'creative' tag resulting in a tag "ghetto" ( forgot who first used that word)

rk  ·  3065 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: On Hubski topics
Thanks. Nice place you got here though :)
mk  ·  3065 days ago  ·  link  ·
Thanks rk. It's appreciated. :)
rk  ·  2979 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Automating bullshit detection.
The reliance on PolitiFact's APIs provides a single point of failure. Then something like a collaborative fact checking platform would be nice. Something like Wikipedia but for fact checking.
rk  ·  2988 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: EU Adopts Resolution Against US Domain Seizures
A shame I can't vote. It's rather frustrating how the decisions of American lawmakers could affect the whole internet. We really should start treating the internet like an ocean. As a shared resource. What happens in one country could have ripples that affect the rest of the world.
thenewgreen  ·  2988 days ago  ·  link  ·
Absolutely.
rk  ·  3064 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: On Hubski topics
Agree with constraining the tags list. Autocomplete worked well for StackOverflow. Maybe we could adapt it? Also their policy of letting only people with a certain amount of reputation to add new tags.
rk  ·  3064 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How did academic publishers acquire these feudal powers?
Yeah. It can be annoying when you're doing research and then you hit a paywall. The exorbitant fees all but guarantee that individuals won't have access. You have to have affiliations with universities or other monied organizations.

I wish citing a paper is as easy as using apt in Ubuntu or importing a module in Python. We need an open access journal. Open source too. Where the papers and their associated datasets are hosted as well. That way we can just fork them if we think of something more interesting to do with the original research.

rk  ·  3065 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: On Hubski topics
It's weird though. Online communities have been grappling with these issues since the usenet days. You'd think we'd have a solution for this problem by now. Or at least a sort of "best practices" document.
mk  ·  3065 days ago  ·  link  ·
Very true. These challenges make it interesting though. :)
mk  ·  3064 days ago  ·  link  ·
I guess some are more interesting than others. :/
alpha0  ·  3064 days ago  ·  link  ·
It is definitely interesting to hear about "women are -----s" ...
mk  ·  3064 days ago  ·  link  ·
I guess some are more interesting than others. :/
rk  ·  3065 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Update: Experiment complete
I was annoyed at the hub wheel at first. I mean, there's a cap right? Though on the other hand, the wheel's limitations does mean that there would come a time that we'd all hit our karma caps and then we could finally focus on posting awesome articles ;)
rk  ·  2907 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What book are you reading right now?
I love my Kindle but I find the screen to be too small. It'd be nice if it were 8" instead of 6". I mostly read pdf s now ( papers for my thesis ) and I do not enjoy reading them in landscape mode.
lessismore  ·  2907 days ago  ·  link  ·
Too bad the Kindle DX is so prohibitively expensive. :(
I can see the argument.
The Theory That Would Not Die. Reading loads of technical books, too. PostGIS in Action and Spatial Databases: A Tour. And a smattering of web development books.
rk  ·  2962 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Give Me Something To Read’s 2011 Highlights
Great find :D Now if only I could find the time...
rk  ·  2980 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Google Now Censors The Pirate Bay, isoHunt, 4Shared and More
Oops. Drat. My bad. I thought hubskis redundancy filters would block it. Turns out it had a different URL.
rk  ·  2982 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Augmented-Reality Contact Lenses.
Think of the possibilities: zoom, playback, infrared vision, x-ray and all those superpowers XD

OT: Man, have I been away that long? Since when did hubski have user tagging?

mk  ·  2982 days ago  ·  link  ·
rk  ·  2987 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: USB Stick Contains Dual-Core Computer, Turns Any Screen Into an Android Station
You might want to check out the Raspberry Pi, too. Granted, it is a bit bigger but at $25 a pop, it's a steal :D

mk  ·  2987 days ago  ·  link  ·
The site is down?

Thanks though. I checked out the wikipedia article. That is very cool. Do you think it is going to be realized?

dublinben  ·  2968 days ago  ·  link  ·
This project will definitely happen. They are nearing the final stages of production right now. There's no reason to doubt they can deliver on their promise to have a $25 linux compatible computer on a stick.
mk  ·  2968 days ago  ·  link  ·
I really hope so. Let me know if you get word of it.
rk  ·  2988 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Questioning University
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm currently earning my masters degree in geomatics engineering. I wanted a CS degree after but after reading your post, I think I'd get a math degree instead :)
mk  ·  2988 days ago  ·  link  ·
Ha, np. Like I said, I don't think a CS degree isn't worthwhile, but considering that the time and money spent is the same, I think you can get more bang for your buck. One problem I find with CS programs, is that people come into them with such a wide range of skill, and I think that is pretty disruptive. When you enter a math or physics program, they test you from the outset and make you take prerequisites without credit if you are not up to par.

My university's CS department didn't have any programming skill prerequisite as far as I know. It would be a different thing entirely if it were expected that every student should be intermediate programmer before taking classes for credit.