rinx's comments
rinx  ·  911 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 20, 2016

I'm on a mini hubski break lately, life's been pretty busy and haven't had as much time to lurk. If anyone wants to pick up the book threads while I'm out go right ahead! In the meantime I'll still pop in occasionally :)

rinx  ·  915 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What % of your take home pay do you invest?

About 65%.

63.7% personal savings then another 1 - 2 % investing in charity and my community. Thats all my savings combined though, after tax and before tax 401k, hsa, and brokerage.

rinx  ·  915 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The weekend is here, what are you drinking?

I'm down for hangouts! No car though.

Sorry, this comment is private.
rinx  ·  954 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: [48 HOURS] What is Microsoft becoming?

It's not bad. It's a tool. There are bad ways to use it, sure. But there are plenty of pretty awesome applications beyond the realm of privacy. Rallying against the cloud seems very silly to me, like complaining about ovens or hammers.

rinx  ·  961 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 2, 2016

I would do a couple days in Kyoto (half day in Nara) if you can. Or an overnight at an onsen, we went to this one and it was a highlight for most people.

in tokyo:

http://www.shinjuku-robot.com/pc/ - this is a must! skip the bento it's terrible

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/ - get tickets in advance, like today

Golden Gai - A tiny neighborhood of bars the size of a large closet. Some only serve 3 people, but it's so you interact and get to know each other. one of my favorite parts of the trip. We made friends with a local who got us in to some of the friendlier bars - some do not allow people who speak english.

Picture from our favorite bar. I don't remember the name, it was 4:00am and I was not sober at all

Karaoke - it's worth it, definitely hit it up at least once. I actually found the place we went because it had this amazing giant toast thing

I would say maybe try different accommodations. Our first night we stayed at a capsule hotel, then a hostel, then a business hotel, then a ryokan. All were really unique experiences in their own way. And if you can stay near the Yamanote line because it will get you just about everywhere you need to go.

Edit: Forgot a super important one! Learn the kanji for shochu. Do not get it confused with sake! Very different beasts.

user-inactivated  ·  961 days ago  ·  link  ·

thank you for the recs, I actually don't drink so I'll be alright in regards to alcohol-related stuff, lol.

We'll actually be staying with a friend that lives there (and another in S. Korea) which is nice

rinx  ·  961 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 2, 2016

Staying in Tokyo the whole time or going anywhere else? I can suggest some places if you want. The $1 sippy sake from 7 - 11 make great gifts, i brought a ton back but I wish I'd grabbed more!

user-inactivated  ·  961 days ago  ·  link  ·

Only in Tokyo for about a week, but I'm down for anywhere you think I should go.

rinx  ·  961 days ago  ·  link  ·

in tokyo:

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/ - get tickets in advance, like today

user-inactivated  ·  961 days ago  ·  link  ·

rinx  ·  962 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "Drugs are BAD BAD BAD!"

I highly recommend this podcast for you:

My issue with any sort of narcotics is that it makes you into a person with less control over yourself.

The psychonauts I know have way, way more control over themselves then just about anyone else I know. The ability to handle your brain radically changing normal function, and not only handle it but derive something of value, takes incredible strength of self and is not to be belittled.

but I feel like using drugs will rob me of the reasoning skills and the willpower I so treasure

Then don't. No one is making you. But if you aren't willing to take the risk you probably shouldn't pass judgement on those who do, because it's something you don't understand. Most worthwhile experiences in life come with risks, its your call if those risks are worth it for you.

Setting an arbitrary barrier on what you allow yourself to experience seems to me to limit personal growth, not advance it. You are going to change. You're reasoning and willpower are subjected to a million external influences anyway, hunger, tiredness, how much sunshine you've gotten. Who you are will be shaped by what you experience, like it or not. The only choice you have is what those experiences will be.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  962 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you for the link. I'll listen to this podcast with interest.

People you know aren't me, and I know myself better than you do, so please, don't pass judgement of your own onto me. I'm not telling anyone what to do or not to do, nor am I pretending to be pushed by someone to do something when I'm not. I hope I'm expressing the general sentiment of many humans of all nations towards narcotics and their users and/or abusers, and I hope to figure this whole thing out or even catch a glimpse of understanding before it collapses into "drugs are good vs. drugs are bad" or "do drugs or miss out", which it seems to be going.

Morality is an arbitrary barrier, and yet humanity prospers through using it rather than stagnates. Barriers are all of different kinds, just like narcotics or the ways of using them. I'd rather not experience diminishing selfishness, even if it limits my capabilities somehow. In the same way, I'd rather not take narcotics of any sort, for a number of reasons, all of which are important to me (and go along and beyond the issues of control); I'm not going into those reasons because it's not the point of this discussion, but I might want to discuss it with Hubskiers later on.

I feel like almost all of the anti-drug sentiment or fear comes from ignorance. If you think all drugs are bad, and all drug users are addicts, of course your going to be terrified when someone smokes weed around you (for example).

People who paint with broad strokes usually don't know enough or have enough experience to view with more shades of grey.

Better self education and public education would go a long way here. I will say not all drugs are dangerous, but some are. If you are going to experiment, plan ahead, and ffs test your shit. If you can afford drugs you can afford to do it safely.

rinx  ·  962 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I finally (almost?) got a job!

What languages / tech are you going to be working on?

rjw  ·  962 days ago  ·  link  ·

Python, Django, Angular. Maybe some Flask. So it's web development.

rinx  ·  963 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: February 29th: What are you reading this week?

Have you read Eon by Greg Bear? It's a bit more modern homage to Rama. I loved it, I haven't given the original a try since I feel like it will be the same story but less fun. Hoping for someone who's read both to tell me if it's worth a shot.

briandmyers  ·  963 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have read 'Eon' (love Greg Bear, esp. 'Blood Music'), but it's been a long long time.