rene's comments
rene  ·  83 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A question regarding perception.

A seed a seed it twists and turns up towards the sun

Before it starts it is an orb not nothing else to no one

To grow is to take a stand, to make a choice, to branch

To choose a path, adopt a form and draw into a stance

If you ask a tree how it came to be you would get a whisper

I struggled to find myself then I got an answer

Dig in, dig in, your roots are your strength

Knowledge is choice, life is a chance

rene  ·  149 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Drew Cloud Is a Well-Known Expert on Student Loans. He’s Not Real.

Is Hubski open source? Is it possible to fork?

mk  ·  149 days ago  ·  link  ·

Only partially, so not so much. I forked the news.arc code about 7 years ago. That can still be done:

Nate Matherson, CEO of LendEdu, graduated from the University of Delaware in 2016.

LendEDU was Co-Founded by Nate Matherson and Matt Lenhard in 2014. LendEDU is a personal finance comparison website. Our goal is to create transparency in a number of markets including student lending, unsecured lending, auto lending, banking, credit cards, and some misc. insurance products. LendEDU participated in Y Combinator's W16 program in Mountain View California.
mk  ·  149 days ago  ·  link  ·

Really strange. I'm not sure why his own persona wouldn't suffice.

rene  ·  149 days ago  ·  link  ·

Is Hubski open source? Is it possible to fork?

mk  ·  149 days ago  ·  link  ·

rene  ·  220 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A single atom has been photographed.
francopoli  ·  220 days ago  ·  link  ·

These events give me hope for the future as I ignore the present

The present is pretty freaking awesome, honestly. Good news does not sell ad copy so it all gets buried into sites like this one where we post and comment on happy nerd shit like this. They just discovered a whole new family of antibiotics in dirt and the FDA approved a slew of new cancer treatments just in the last month or so. And the whole Falcon Heavy thing, we are going to see astronauts leave for space from US soil again this year, the TESS mission is going to launch, etc.

The fucked up shit is important to know about and fight, but remember there is a bias towards doom and outrage in media coverage due to the way that the news is funded.

rene  ·  222 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Everything Easy Is Hard Again

I was where you are a few months ago. I recommend playing around with Digital Ocean droplets to understand web servers, they make it very easy (and their documentation is excellent). With nginx you can have a static site up in <15 min.

I have a peripatetic posting style....Let me know if you have any questions about web frameworks, I had several conversations with friends that led to eureka moments.

rene  ·  223 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Everything Easy Is Hard Again

simply npm your webpack via grunt with vue babel or bower to react asdfjkl;lkdhgxdlciuhw

This is about the level of detail a lot of online guides/tutorials have for most of these packages/workflows/tools/watchamacallitnow. The next step is to read through the documentation, which is often verbose, not pedagogically structured, and sometimes non-existent. The method of last resort is to attack the source code: akin to reading someone's notebook written in a foreign language. You have to get used to their style and shorthand.

"Remember, we're just manipulating text" is what I repeat to keep me sane when troubleshooting tooling issues. It's a big time investment to understand the full-stack; a bigger one to keep on top of it. This issue will only grow exponentially as more code is written and more individuals become developers.

If anybody is interested in learning web development, Full Stack Python is a great resource that places lots of different web technologies in proper context, it helped me a lot in the past. I can also recommend Mozilla's Documentation Pages for HTML/CSS/Javascript as it relates to webpages, although the quality can be inconsistent.

(If you want an example of atrocious documentation, check out the Galago Search Engine/Lemur Project. It's so opaque a research paper dedicated a section to how hard it is for phd's to understand the source code)

veen  ·  223 days ago  ·  link  ·

Bookmarked your Python link!

(Welcome back by the way.)

I have had multiple goes at teaching myself some web frameworks but have frustratedly quit almost every time. Last web project I just resorted to HTML/CSS with only the bare minimum JS/jQuery, outsourcing the hosting to Github Pages. But then again I wouldn't call myself good at any of those things.

rene  ·  222 days ago  ·  link  ·

rene  ·  444 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bill Gates warns Germany's open-door migrant policy will overwhelm Europe

True. To be fair, the meat of the information is Gates's comment rather than any editorialization around that. I think he makes a sharp point by implying that the costs over time of sheltering further refugees will be greater than increasing foreign aid to the African continent to alleviate suffering. Especially considering the numbers of refugees and Europe's history in affected regions.

rene  ·  523 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Machine learning algorithms exhibit racial and gender biases, research reveals

Link to Paper (ScienceMag Paywall): http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6334/133

Author's Homepage: Anthony G. Greenwald, PhD

Algorithm used for analysis: GloVe - Global Vectors for Word Representation

GloVe is an unsupervised learning algorithm for obtaining vector representations for words. Training is performed on aggregated global word-word co-occurrence statistics from a corpus, and the resulting representations showcase interesting linear substructures of the word vector space.

GloVe is essentially a log-bilinear model with a weighted least-squares objective. The main intuition underlying the model is the simple observation that ratios of word-word co-occurrence probabilities have the potential for encoding some form of meaning . . . The training objective of GloVe is to learn word vectors such that their dot product equals the logarithm of the words' probability of co-occurrence. Owing to the fact that the logarithm of a ratio equals the difference of logarithms, this objective associates (the logarithm of) ratios of co-occurrence probabilities with vector differences in the word vector space. Because these ratios can encode some form of meaning, this information gets encoded as vector differences as well. For this reason, the resulting word vectors perform very well on word analogy tasks, such as those examined in the word2vec package.

Perhaps more interestingly, Extended Reading:

Implicit Bias: How Should Psychological Science Inform the Law?

Statistically Small Effects of the Implicit Association Test Can Have Societally Large Effects

OMBJT characterized their average correlation finding for IAT measures (which they estimated as r .148, in the domain of

intergroup behavior) as indicating that the IAT was a “poor” predictor (pp. 171, 182, 183). This section’s analysis reaches a very different

conclusion by applying well-established statistical reasoning to understand the societal consequences of small-to-moderate correlational

effect sizes. The first step of this analysis shows that OMBJT’s and GPUB’s meta-analytic findings had very similar implications for the

average percentage of criterion-measure variance explained by IAT measures. The second step explains how statistically small effects can

have societally important effects under two conditions—if they apply to many people or if they apply repeatedly to the same person. In

combination, the two steps of this analysis indicate how conventionally small (and even subsmall) effect sizes can have substantial

societal significance . . .

Small effect sizes comprise significant discrimination. For most of the time since the passage of the United States’ civil rights

laws in the 1960s, U.S. courts have used a statistical criterion of discrimination that translates to correlational effect sizes that are

often smaller than r .10. This criterion is the “four-fifths rule,” which tests whether a protected class (identified by race, color,

religion, national origin, gender, or disability status) has been treated in discriminatory fashion. A protected class’s members

receiving some favorable outcome less than 80% as often as a comparison class can be treated by courts as indicating an “adverse

impact” that merits consideration as illegal discrimination (U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 1978, §1607.4.D).

rene  ·  1166 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Greece signs up to a painful, humiliating agreement with Europe

Tsipras never wanted the referendum to succeed in the first place - Syriza mismanaged negotiations, the Germans have been ferociously harsh with the terms of the bailout - this crisis is everyone's fault (some more than others though)

rene  ·  1193 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bizarre ruling with far-reaching consequences in AIG government bailout case

the key here is that AIG has already been awarded monetary damages several years ago in the form of a bailout (although with harsher terms, hence the lawsuit). Why would you give them more? The judge is reprimanding both plaintiff and defendant in this ruling, which is appropriate given the situation

flagamuffin  ·  1193 days ago  ·  link  ·

Indeed. And I am happy to agree with anyone who is worried about the government stepping and controlling a company. Obama famously fired the CEO of General Motors.

However, I've spent a good bit of time examining the economics of the bailout and my conclusion is: it had to happen, and while there are steps available to curtail its happening again, this ruling is not the best of them.

rene  ·  1194 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bizarre ruling with far-reaching consequences in AIG government bailout case

This is actually a good ruling as it limits the Fed's abilities to bailout large banks. The main crux of the argument is that the Fed treated AIG (insurance) in a tougher manner than Morgan Stanley (finance), etc. and that, with other things, is illegal (basically, the Fed unjustly favored the banks with the bailout. It demonstrates how the Fed is more beholden to Wall Street). This ruling makes it much riskier to depend on receiving a bailout from the Fed in order to publicly subsidize risky activities. Here's some brief analysis.

It's also pushing back on Wall Street's encroachment into monetary policy.

flagamuffin  ·  1193 days ago  ·  link  ·

I agree and I disagree. For instance, I do think the judge was making it fairly clear it was a "statement" ruling and not one meant to dish out actual justice -- else he would have awarded monetary damages. Nonetheless it's a bit naive. History will out, I guess.

rene  ·  1193 days ago  ·  link  ·

flagamuffin  ·  1193 days ago  ·  link  ·

rene  ·  1194 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Who will own the Robots? Improving on sharing the wealth technology produces

Not that I like bitcoin, but there are some interesting applications of the blockchain technology that can allow for autonomous systems to exist financially independent from human institutions. Here is a developer discussing what an autonomous taxi service - among others - with no middle-men would look like at the Turing Festival in 2013

rene  ·  1206 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Haiku Alone

Long winters spill green

Do all springs lead to summer?

Young bud blooms northward

rene  ·  1219 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Millennial is a stupid word

It's an opinion on the WORD millennial with this implied, angsty attitude towards the perceived marginalization of his (and my) generation. He doesn't have a problem with the word, he has a problem with popular culture's perception of millennials.

Do you want to be called Baby Boomers? Generation X? These are meaningless tags so we don't have to say Born: 1920-1940, Born 1940-1960, etc. He may as well complain about why we name hurricanes in alphabetical order.

I just don't view this as productive: it's not a discussion of WHY we are perceived this way and what this informs us about generational differences - it's the author complaining about how people complain about him.

mk  ·  1219 days ago  ·  link  ·

This would have made for a better first comment.

thenewgreen  ·  1218 days ago  ·  link  ·

If I had a plethora (reference intended) of badges to give, which I don't, I would badge this comment.

Rob_G  ·  1219 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't think that's a fair argument. The word exists. Why does it exist? Isn't it natural to ask questions about why we agree on certain labels? What purpose do they serve? I find myself thinking about this a lot, especially because the word is thrown around so liberally on the Internet. It's not productive to question the nature of words? Kierkegaard said something like, "to label me is to negate me." To be fair, I only know that quote from Wayne's World, but I think it applies nonetheless.

Well this is useless.

Rob_G  ·  1219 days ago  ·  link  ·

Why is it useless? It's an opinion on Millennial. It's original thought. You don't like it, that's fine. But talk about useless, your comment is useless. All you're doing is putting me down in the most unoriginal way possible.

rene  ·  1219 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  1219 days ago  ·  link  ·

This would have made for a better first comment.

thenewgreen  ·  1218 days ago  ·  link  ·