prostheticfourhead's comments
prostheticfourhead  ·  1228 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Looking for good reads

$30 is too much for me right now :(

I'll check out Project Gutenberg though, I hadn't thought of that, thanks.

I'd read pretty much anything, just not books with a picture of Fabio and a woman with heaving bosoms on the front.

Thanks for the suggestions. And gen.lib.rus.ec looks great!

tacocat  ·  1227 days ago  ·  link  ·

Read Stoner. It's a delicately constructed portrait of an ordinary man and his mundane tragedies and victories. It's not for everyone but it has emotional punch if you don't require a sweeping melodrama with your fiction. I have an ePub of it somewhere

lil  ·  1216 days ago  ·  link  ·

Isn't that a surprising little book? A friend of mine in Haifa of all places found stacks of this book in a used book store and sent me a copy last year. Another novel on a similar topic (with South African politics thrown in) is Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee (Nobel Prize for Literature, 2003).

tacocat  ·  1216 days ago  ·  link  ·

New York Times Magazine or somebody rediscovered it a few years ago so I knew it was well regarded. But it's surprising in that nothing really happens and you can't put it down (if you're into quiet books with no lazer gun battles). It's a series of minor dramas delivered in such a tender way that it invites you into an ordinary life that parallels your own struggles. I can't say enough about it and can't explain why anyone should read it because the plot sounds so boring.

Those stacks might be worth something if they aren't the 2003 reprint.

b-612  ·  1228 days ago  ·  link  ·

Plenty of good recommendations here. I would like to add Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts, you can find it in the link Creativity gave you.

prostheticfourhead  ·  1271 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm on my honeymoon in Europe. What should I do?

Depends on what you're into. If you want to see architecture and history, go to Prague for 2/3 days. If you want to see what life is actually like in the Czech Republic, skip Prague and find a small resort/camp site somewhere in south Bohemia, maybe near Sumava national park (but there will be a wider mix of people, so you won't get to know so much about the area). You'll probably be able to meet some people who speak English and want to have a few beers with Americans.

Also, for accommodation use airbnb. There is a service in Germany call mitfarhgegehen (I think it's called) where you can find people driving in certain directions willing to take others for some gas money. It's like electronic hitchhiking, so probably another good way to meet people (I've never used it though, and we don't have a similar one here in Czech).

Good luck!

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  1270 days ago  ·  link  ·

Logistically we're going to have to skip Prague in this venture but we'll must certainly look into the hitchhiking from Berlin to Copenhagen!

prostheticfourhead  ·  1274 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What word makes you happy?

'thorough' is another example they usual give.

---

'Rural'.

I teach EFL. The students in this country always tell me English speakers sound like we have hot potatoes in our mouths. When I teach them the word 'rural', I understand why.

---
user-inactivated  ·  1274 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
prostheticfourhead  ·  1274 days ago  ·  link  ·

'thorough' is another example they usual give.

---
prostheticfourhead  ·  1275 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why Rape Is Sincerely Hilarious

edit: I posted this late last night, and reading it now I think I might not have been clear. I was trying to say that people who are unconcerned with or give a pass to female rapists are men. As he said in the video: "you must have liked it", "that sounds awesome", "you're so lucky, she's so hot"...

"Feminists"? Like this?

I'd like to see any articles/essays/op-eds written by would-be feminists dismissing female on male rape.

tla  ·  1275 days ago  ·  link  ·

Google "men can't be raped". You won't enjoy it though.

someguyfromcanada  ·  1275 days ago  ·  link  ·

Pun Pun Pun Pun. Are the retards pouring in now?

>Feminism doesn't give women a pass. Some people who identify as feminists do

Really? For rape?

Where/When?

tla  ·  1275 days ago  ·  link  ·

You can find them if you look hard enough. They really do exist. I don't recommend seeking them out if you have a quota on how much angry you can emit in any one day.

War  ·  1275 days ago  ·  link  ·

Those that give things like this a pass usually don't believe it to actually be rape.

prostheticfourhead  ·  1275 days ago  ·  link  ·

"Feminists"? Like this?

tla  ·  1275 days ago  ·  link  ·

Google "men can't be raped". You won't enjoy it though.

someguyfromcanada  ·  1275 days ago  ·  link  ·

Pun Pun Pun Pun. Are the retards pouring in now?

prostheticfourhead  ·  1275 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What do you do when you have no idea what to do?

Classic advice is to clean. Getting something done is the best antidote to apathy.

prostheticfourhead  ·  1276 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: France’s Hollande calls for ‘eurozone government’

The greatest problem that I see in Europe is that there are no leaders. I don't hear of any vision for the future of Europe. What's worse is that no national politician can take that role, as each country has a different language. From my experience in the Czech Rep., the European Parliament is a foreign entity, and few people know who to vote for in Euro elections.

I agree that there needs to be a more organized fiscal policy, but I just don't see how it can happen without a complete loss of sovereignty by the member states. Europe is facing a crisis of democracy right now and we need bold leaders to take rally the European spirit if the EU is to continue....but I just don't see it happening.

prostheticfourhead  ·  1277 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Our Community and Real Names

Well it's a bit clearer now. I've never been part of a small online community where people would be able to identify each other through their writing styles.

This subject is quite interesting, though, I appreciate the insight.

I still don't understand. There is nothing that would link a new username to the one you have now, if you didn't want it to.

Does having a name on reddit give your posts more weight in discussions? Are you too proud of your post history to "give up on it" (not meant to sound snarky)?

Because most people aren't asked "are you kleinbl00?" within 3 days of assuming a new pseudonym.

This happened. Literally. For eight weeks. Reddit was much smaller then, but it still happened.

I know you want to think I don't know what I'm talking about, but I do. And you don't have to listen to me, but I also don't have to talk to you.

Yet I am.

I walked away from Reddit. Deliberately and with forethought. I came here instead. By then, I'd been nominated for commenter of the year four years running. I'd been bestof'd more than a hundred times. That and a couple bucks will buy you a cup of coffee but the fact of the matter is, my writing style and subject matter is such that even when I wasn't busy being "kleinbl00" I got called out for being "kleinbl00."

Believe it or don't. I can't explain it any clearer.

prostheticfourhead  ·  1277 days ago  ·  link  ·

This subject is quite interesting, though, I appreciate the insight.

_refugee_  ·  1276 days ago  ·  link  ·

I never asked you to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure I caught you on an alt account making a top level comment in an r/askreddit thread. I recognized you by both writing style and story. All I said was, "Hi."

(Because reddit is the only other place i use this username.)

The user said hi back.

So if that was you, we can confirm a little example-in-action right now for the gallery.

I haven't run socks on Reddit since 2010. Coulda been Warlizard; he runs at least three.

> I try not to do anything that I'd regret, and it usually works out.

Isn't this the real take-away. If you have a username that you feel is totally anonymous you might post different, or at least not give each post the same scrutiny as you do now. Do you think that you consider what you post more carefully with your username linked to your real name? Being anonymous on the internet can mean leaving some of the polite bits of you behind the keyboard.

On the other hand, who knows what people take offense to, and as careful as you are other people are still free to act in a way that would be unacceptable irl.

"Are you that guy from the Warlizard gaming forum?" That guy could just make a new username and move on. So could you. I don't really understand your point here. (Also, you said you modded a default, but I don't know about whatever drama happened to make you reddit famous, if that is important to this discussion)

prostheticfourhead  ·  1277 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yet I am.

Believe it or don't. I can't explain it any clearer.

prostheticfourhead  ·  1277 days ago  ·  link  ·

This subject is quite interesting, though, I appreciate the insight.

_refugee_  ·  1276 days ago  ·  link  ·

(Because reddit is the only other place i use this username.)

The user said hi back.

>People I was friends with, in relationships with, exes would read my journal and despite I never insulted or talked bad about them, they'd somehow take umbrage.

It happened multiple times? There's got to be more to this.

user-inactivated  ·  1272 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.

>I'm a weird corner case: my pseudonym became an identity worth defending because I put a lot of me in it

Why do you think that this is unique to you?

It became easier for me to defend what I had than mask something new.

prostheticfourhead  ·  1277 days ago  ·  link  ·

prostheticfourhead  ·  1277 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yet I am.

Believe it or don't. I can't explain it any clearer.

prostheticfourhead  ·  1277 days ago  ·  link  ·

This subject is quite interesting, though, I appreciate the insight.

_refugee_  ·  1276 days ago  ·  link  ·

(Because reddit is the only other place i use this username.)

The user said hi back.