ooli's comments
ooli  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Everything You Know About Obesity is Wrong

to get there I have to be light-headed when I stand up all day every day.

What are you saying ? You and 80% of Americans have a special metabolism which make them only functional with 2500+ cal/ day? or BMI is a totally wrong measuring stick for Americans, but it work just fine for Japaneses?

It seems you exercise way way too much

You said you couldn't understand what the problem is like. I can only speak for myself, but for myself, the act of attempting to match society's expectations is arduous and humiliating.

For the greater country at large, calories are cheap, nutrition is expensive, cortisol is abundant and exercise is a luxury.

I used to be an exercise bulimic. Now I'm a commuter. When I'm not working I eat about 1300 calories a day.

And I gain weight.

Foveaux  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

1300 calories a day

Fuck a duck my maintenance is 2500 and that will truly keep me as I am. When I'm properly hitting a training block I'll be in the 3000s and struggling to fit it all in.

I don't envy your situation mate.

Oatmeal for breakfast, three pieces of lunchmeat and a celery stalk in a low-carb wrap for lunch, and a Blue Apron at around 500 calories for dinner.

Last quarter sucked because I didn't have time to exercise. This quarter will be better because I'll have three afternoons off a week.

I run basically so that I can have seconds. Or a snack. It basically takes me about two miles of running a day to fit in 2000 calories.

On the plus side.

Foveaux  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's impressive - I reckon if I ate that I'd cease to exist. Or at the very least be extremely unpleasant to be around.

Free-time rears it's head as a differing factor, I manage 6 evenings in the gym in sport off-season. If I get round to building a house/having a family I wonder how badly my body would cope with simply not having the time to get training done. Priorities shift and belly expands.

Well that's a depressing link - although I'll take some hope from my low resting heart rate and try and tell myself it's working in my favour!

Or at the very least be extremely unpleasant to be around.

And now you know one of the reasons I'm cranky all the time.

_refugee_  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

My maintenance is 1400. I’m 5’3. Sucks to be a short female. To lose it is like 1200.

I have a lottttt of “natural” energy. I walk a lot, basically. So I usually get to eat more than 1200 kcal/day. FWIW, according to Fitbit (which maybe I live or die by) I average around 20k steps/day. That would be double what is recommended by the AHA for the average american in order to maintain weight.

Foveaux  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

1200! Do you just get to look at an apple for an afternoon snack? 20k steps in intense though, I recall having a challenge like that at my old work place; we formed teams and tried to get everyone to do 10k steps a day, but we're all desk bound so it was quite an undertaking. I walk to and from work (inner city living in a place that barely counts as a city is great) and coupled with all the sports and training, seems to keep me battling to get enough food in. I guess it's a good problem to have.

_refugee_  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

You know that doctor in the article who said he had an egg for breakfast? I was like yeah me too

Seriously, I've been mealplanning. Here's what an average day looks like:

Breakfast: 2-5 days a week, skip breakfast. Most of the rest of those days a week, 1 hardboiled egg with salt around 10 am. 1 of those days a week, an egg sandwich with bacon and cheese and sriracha (480 kcal)

Lunch: 4-5 days a week, a mealprepped standard usually consisting of 12oz of a vegetable/lentil soup and 8 oz of a protein/veg mix. ranges between 490-650 kcal.

dinner: a variation on the above.

snacks: hardboiled egg or protein stick. also remembered that sugar free jello is 10 kcal a pack yay lol . or frozen vegetable packets

hit minimum 12,500 steps a day, a 12-25 minute yoga session (at home) 3ish times a week, at least one set of 10 push-ups 4x a week, and that is my general daily.

on weekends i like to max my steps bc i do step competitions on fitbit. that's how i average 20k a week when m-f i usually hit 1500

lately i keep my drinking to 3x a week, if i drink i try to take the calories out of meals. i allow myself a cheat day a week but it's usually a weekend day during which i also hit 25-34k steps.

etc etc etc

i have a beautiful mfp streak

Foveaux  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nice! Thanks for writing it out. Mine is quite.. straightforward - I guess that's a perk of not being too bothered by eating the same stuff over and over.

Breakfast: Banana on toast, vegemite on toast or baked beans on toast. Depends on my mood that morning.

Morning Tea: Two protein bars and a biscuit

Lunch: Sandwich with any variation of ham/lettuce/bacon/tomato/cheese along with some nuts or crackers to snack on.

Afternoon Tea: Banana and some mandarins

Dinner: The big one, usually some kind of meat with sauce (beef or chicken), a head of brocolli, spinach, mixed veg on rice or potatoes. if I'm doing a vegetarian dish this changes quite a bit and I'm doing that more and more often, but the staple is always a big, big dinner. Protein Shake to see out the night.

I walk about 3km a day at least, just getting to and from work. Then the gym training 6x a week for about 90 minute sessions. In Rugby season those sessions get cut down, with trainings twice a week with a Saturday match, in Touch Rugby season two games a week so on day gets dedicated to that - last thing I want is maxing on deadlifts only to be rapidly accelerating an hour after.

Unfortunately I've developed a taste for craft beer. It may be my undoing.

_refugee_  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't mind eating the same thing every day...but I really enjoy cooking. My compromise is to take one day a week and cook a bunch of things, so I get my cooking fix, and then eat it through the week to do the right cal/macro balance (or at least try!). :)

If I didn't enjoy cooking so much, I would aim for the classic chicken and broccoli...but the truth is, my cheat day and the day I drink the most is the day I get to go grocery shopping and start cooking with a glass of wine and go for like 4 hours doing different things.

Alcohol for a long time has been my undoing, which is why I limit myself so consciously now. When I drink, I also try to minimize the calories -- but I definitely have been expanding my appreciation for beer (had a great dark ale tonight, an almost-stout, brewed with coffee and pb which just tasted like coldbrew) -- so now each beer is more precious!

ButterflyEffect  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

Can we get #Grubski up in here? Is there a go-to veg/lentil soup recipe you use?

_refugee_  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

I like to switch it up because I cook different things. My go-to food recipe website is budgetbytes because hey, cooking that is also budget conscious? How could you say no?

Here is the soup I had this past week; morrocan veg and lentil. my opinion: it was ok. i like cauliflower so i liked that add in. however, could use more spice. (I am a CHRONIC hot sauce consumer. My current belief is anything another person would look at and go "hey that'd probably be good with some cheese in it," is something that I would think "hey that'd be great with some hot sauce in it." it is an enjoyable theory.)

this is the one i've made the most, chunky vegetable and lentil

i have also made this mexican lentil stew -DONT forget the lime it really makes it!

I do find lentils don't really have a lot of flavor so here is a bonus cabbage and veg soup recipe which I also really enjoy.

As you go on the site, I encourage you to check out the Zuppa Toscana recipe; I've made that easily half a dozen times and man. That is one soup that doesn't even need hot sauce. I love it.

I plan on trying the golden coconut lentil soup recipe this weekend.

ButterflyEffect  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

Devac  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.

"The alchemist" By Poehlo Coehlo.

Every one, and his sister, list it as his favorite book. And it is not a bad book per se.

But, in the 351 night of the Arabian Nights translated in 1700, there is this story of a man dreaming of a treasure in Cairo

Then around 1940 J.L. Borges wrote about his love of the Arabian nights. And with a profusion of excuse about how inferior his version is, he present his short story "the Two dreamers". His retelling of the 351th night is way better than the original. It's exotic, fun in its twist, and any sense of spirituality is lighthearted.

On the contrary the retelling of Coehlo is pretty much a power fantasy for spiritual person... this blogger seems as angry as me, and he make more sense on how bad the book is.

And coehlo never acknowledged his stealing. Funny how writing about spirituality and wholeness, Coehlo stole the good idea from an old tall and made money out of it. He is a scam

johnnyFive  ·  98 days ago  ·  link  ·

I agree that it's fairly shallow, but that review seems doubly so: he's complaining that something written as a fable is writteen as a fable. He frankly seems to be going out of his way to find things to criticize; the allegations of sexism ring particularly contrived. I get that as a spiritual message it's pretty empty, but criticism shouldn't mirror that IMO.

ooli  ·  990 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Tay, Microsoft's AI chatbot, gets a crash course in racism from Twitter

I like the way you think.

The only problem being MS proved time and time again they are really bad at launching stuff.. W8, W10, MS shop... and all their gaming platform. With their head up on the competition, their history of monopoly and their power, they're doing a really bad job with their result since at least a decade.

So even if they fucked up on purpose, it probably wont serve them.

ooli  ·  1021 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How have you lost weight?

0/ NO processed food. It's impossible. Choose one as a guilty pleasure every other day, and stick to one.

1/ Tracking calorie is a chore. Worst, as a former nicotine addict, it fire the same vicious behavior as when you try to limit your smoking: you begin to sanctify any calorie and food like it's a blessing (like I could not think of anything except the next cigaret in my planning). But hey, it seems to work for lots of people, so give it a try. But dont force it if it make you think about food and calories all the time.

2/ Exercising is a chore. Ok. That one I like, because it fire dopamine in your brain. So if it works for you, go for it. But if you dont get your dopamine intake out of it. Stop. Just keep climbing stairs. May be add some slow walking around campus once a day for your heart. But dopamine is pretty neat once you start exercising.

3/ Eat fiber. dark chocolate. Nuts, raspberry.. What not to like!! But try to switch all your usual aliment with their more fiber packed equivalent: Whole wheat instead of white low fiber wheat.

4/ Eat in small plate. Trick your brain into feeling full.

5/ Eat an egg first thing in the morning: cut your appetite for 16 hours.

6/ Drink water first when you feel hungry. Brain have a hard time distinguishing between hunger and thirst. Usually you're just thirsty.

7/ Never , ever diet. Plan on changing the way you eat forever . Not having a hard diet for 6 month loose the 40 pounds, and let the weigh creep on once you stopped dieting.

ooli  ·  1234 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: You probably won’t read this piece about Syria

Here is something I suppose nobody heard outside of France: The killers of the Charlie Hebdo attack gave an interview (by phone with the press) a few hours before being killed.

They stated, that the attack was a retaliation for the thousand of civilian dead in Syria. They stated, that they didn't strike blindly. They indeed could have killed far more people during their escape. They stated that they didn't kill any women while European/US soldiers do kill child and women in Syria.

The interview aired one day, then faded very quickly from the media (I never heard it again since the following day). Free-speech commemoration and mourning of french caricaturist was the hot topic of the moment, and who want to hear justifications from a bunch of assassin.

Like anyone, I really don't care for Syria. Don't even know what is happening there. So I guess the Charlie Hebdo victims really died in vain: the killers could not bring some kind awareness to the Syrian massacre.

ooli  ·  1303 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: When women wanted sex much more than men

Historically, sexual drive (or supposed lust) is used as a mean to belittle and humiliate the one portrayed that way.

It was Women back then, then it was Indian, then Black, Gays, Asian, etc...

If you want to link a race/gender to dumb soulless animal you highlight their (supposed) lust, their sexual prowess, their penis/ass size, their fertility. Old trick... But the article is right: for some reason, even this dont work when applied to white straight men.

ooli  ·  1305 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The hands of Hubski

For some reason I though you were a young black gamer. Turn out you're a white apple boy :]

insomniasexx  ·  1305 days ago  ·  link  ·

Needs moar apple watch.

ooli  ·  1316 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski : What is your morning routine ?

-wake up

-hold a plank for 1 min while in bed

-coffee & 4 fiber rich toast with raspberry marmalade

-run 20 minutes (just enough to sweat, not enough to dread it)

-Shower & brush teeth

-coffee & 1 fruit

-write 30 min (just enough to write ~500 word, not enough to dread it)

-indulge in unfit, unclean, unhealthy, lazy, unproductive activities for the rest of the day... Hey my morning routine make me earn it!

There was a post on reddit a few day ago about creating good habits:

-Start small (1 pushup , write 100 words, just smile to 1 beautiful stranger, etc ) so you wont fall off of the habit.

-Trigger it with one of your actual habit (after brushing teeth, after your meal, after checking your mail, etc)

-Overly congratulate yourself after you did it (take a victory pose, sing a powerful song, do a happy dance, etc)

It was a good read, with some explanation for how the brain work for each of those steps.
OftenBen  ·  1316 days ago  ·  link  ·

You sound like a neat person.

ooli  ·  1518 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: ‘Free’ is the curse of the Internet

It's a flawed argument.

1/ major internet player (Facebook,Googl) are free

2/ some are not (netflix) and are still profitable

Conclusion/ Every thing should be not free.

It make no logical sense. But obviously the dude has an agenda.

Why some may afford to be paid service why other cannot. Facebook, Twiter, googl, reddit, all can only survive if people create content for them (a Facebook post, a twit, a search request and subsequent link selection). The second they charge 1 cent they're dead. Even without charging they risk to be killed anytime (as Myspace taught us) if people start to massively switch to other platform. While if you actually create content (netflix and the like, even newspapers ) you may charge for that.

(*His newspaper rant is irrelevant. Newspaper struggled since the invention of TV and lived on Ads far more than on subscription for years.)

Nice read anyway.

mknod  ·  1517 days ago  ·  link  ·

(His newspaper rant is irrelevant. Newspaper struggled since the invention of TV and lived on Ads far more than on subscription for years.)

Its more than this though. He has no idea how much "free" he's actually gotten without realizing it. Even if you don't consider ios free, the very software that made osx in the first place was bsd based.

Windows used some BSD utilities like telnet and nslookup in their software.

There are peering groups throughout the internet who offer "free" or at the very least very cheap bandwidth so that the pipes aren't overrun. Most of the internet is run by guys who decide this stuff through a chat at a bar.

In fact, do you know that at one time there was one guy, who ran almost the entire thing. Was he Elon Musk? Was he Steve Jobs? Was he Bill Gates?

No, his name was Jon Postel. He could have controlled the entire internet, directed everyone to a crappy ass internet advertising space, and ruined the entire thing. Instead, he gleefully fought against non-free internet agents like Network Solutions who favor short term profits over long term communication stability. The people who don't want a free internet have nothing to contribute to a free society. I can happily live without them spewing buy me bullshit in my face.

ooli  ·  1669 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Creeping Danger of Conspiracy Theorists

Interrestingly enouth he insult a lot, but does not talk about danger at all.

What's the danger to doubt global warming? You cant do anything anyway. The danger believing 9/11 was an inside job? Danger in believing Tv broadcast mindcontrol rays ? etc..

That's great about Conspiracy theories: it's completely Harmless. (except for the anti vaccination fad)

I like conspiracies. I read them as original and inventive fiction. I like the show "ancient aliens" ans all this kind of non sense. It's great... and harmless.

Interrestingly enouth Rob Ager made some video about conspiracies. He point out that there a lot of conspiracy never dubed that name. When people believed Irak had mass destruction weapon. When people believed witchs really existed and burned them. When MacCarthy believed Charlie Chaplin was a communist spy.

All those stuff are false, without proof, real conspiracies theories. Nobody ever called them for what they are. The difference: People who believed it could ACT about it. And it was nasty.

ooli  ·  1880 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Think You Can Live Offline Without Being Tracked? Here's What It Takes

tl;dr

1. Getting Places

. To stop toll pass from being tracked, keeps it sealed in the foil bag it came in when he's not driving through a toll

. Uses a camera flash to zap tires with enough energy to destroy the RFID chips

. Camera surveillance in every town, Wore sun glasses

2. Buying things

. When he sees someone has a card on their key chain, he asks if he can take a photo of the bar code to use with his own purchases. They get extra points, and he gets discounts without giving up any of his privacy

. Puts all of purchases on a credit card registered under a fake name. Then uses the credit card in actual name to pay the bill

. The most intense privacy seekers have a strict cash-only policy--which can mean they need to get paid in cash

3. Having Friends

.You upload a photograph to Facebook or put one on Twitter, you are now ratting out anybody in that frame to any police agency in the world that’s looking for them. (...) Some police agencies in the world are evil

4. Just About Everything Else

. RFID tags aren’t just in tires, they’re in your clothing, your tap-to-pay credit cards, and your dry cleaning.

. Zaps T-shirts in the microwave.

. Carry an RFID-blocking wallet to avoid having their RFID-enabled cards read when they're not making a purchase.

. Covering your tablet's front-facing camera with masking tape

ooli  ·  2196 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Where Masturbation and Homosexuality Do Not Exist - Alice Dreger - The Atlantic

I doubt the affirmation that "PD" means "Par Derriere" (From Behind). It's a very frequent insult in french, and I never heard that explanation.

It's pronounced "Pédé" in French, and should probably come from "Pédéraste", which share the same etymological roots with pedophile :

"Pedo" in ancient Greek meaning "boy" or child. So pedophile means "loving young boy" and "pédéraste" has the same meaning and was by extension given to gay male as an insult.

And latter on was shortened to "Pédé" then "PD".

The "From Behind" may be the way those people understood the word in this part of the world.

Nice read either way.

ooli  ·  2203 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dark Matter Mystery May Soon Be Solved.

I'm not alone! Without any physic culture I hate the dark matter/energy idea. Supposing a new type of matter seems the worst complicate explanation one can come with. I'm more incline to believe in the MOND: Modified Newtonian Dynamics ( http://www.astro.umd.edu/~ssm/mond/index.html ) I mean it's more easy to believe gravity change when on very large scale than an invisible new matter explain everything.

mk  ·  2203 days ago  ·  link  ·

Preach it.

I've never understood why apparent inconsistencies between gravitation and observation should be such a strong foundation for an extremely exotic form of matter.

I'm partial to gravity acting instantaneously, as if the entire universe is a quantum condensate. It's probably not the case, but it makes a lot more sense to me.

ooli  ·  2277 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Chris Brown giant "fuck you" to everyone

Just reading the text describing the video made me want to puke. I was also pretty disappointed by learning that Sean Connery also advocated violence.