novoblade's comments
novoblade  ·  74 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Man who punched a Nazi ordered to pay $1

Sounds like a good deal.

novoblade  ·  100 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Exercising too much could worsen mental health, study suggests (N=1.2M)

I exercise about 1-2 hours six days a week with a rest day on Saturday, which is more than what the study recommends. I've been doing this for almost 3 years now, and overall I think I feel much better mentally than before I started. I definitely look and feel better physically. I have more muscle, more energy, and a better posture. All this has helped me stave off (but far from eliminate) some mental issues like low confidence and anxiety.

krmatthews  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

To be fair, it says "too much" exercising. The article was kinda dumb to be honest. Everything that is too much is really bad for your health. If you exercise for 1-12 hours daily I don't think it should have a bad effect on your health. I work out 1 hour for 5 days. I think we're safe.

novoblade  ·  116 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Behemoth, bully, thief: how the English language is taking over the planet

It helps that English is the main language used in programming. A lot of programming syntax, reserved words, and keywords are all based on English. Most documentation is also written in English and only later translated to other languages. But if you want to stay on the cutting edge, you need to able to read English.

It helps that English is the main language used in programming.

- also aviation

- also scientific publishing

- also pop music

Between the British Empire and the American Century English is the handy-dandy lingua franca wherever you are and wherever you're going.

novoblade  ·  207 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The entirely unnecessary demise of Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble needs to double down on becoming more than just a bookstore. They've already diversified their inventory by selling dvds, toys, and even their own electronics. Many also have cafes now. I think all this has helped kept them afloat thus far in the face of the behemoth that is Amazon. But are executives at Barnes & Nobles just delaying the inevitable, or are they actually committed to diversifying and competing?

I'm guilty of using the word awesome too much.

novoblade  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Walt Disney World workers land deal for $15 minimum wage

I doubt Disney will let this new extra cost eat into their profits without doing anything about it. Costs for visitors will surely increase across the board.

tacocat  ·  84 days ago  ·  link  ·

With 56,000 daily guests I'm sure the added cost will be minimal

Disney's theme park economics are weird. A day pass at Disneyland $95-$120 depending on the day but an annual pass for SoCal residents can be as cheap as $370.

novoblade  ·  93 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New York City has more skyscrapers than these countries

That's now fixed. Thanks for catching that haha.

francopoli  ·  92 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sorry for the snark, but glad I can help? lol.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
novoblade  ·  100 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Donald Trump thinks the F-35 is literally invisible

Nicely edited. I've been avoiding Donald Trump related content the last few months until now. I almost forgot how ignorant he is.

galen  ·  99 days ago  ·  link  ·

Really? I thought the concept was cool (and a good selection of clips) but I can't stand the stupid invisible plane gags or the fucking airhorn. Feels like he's trying to draw "edgier" humor out of unnecessary editing.

tacocat  ·  99 days ago  ·  link  ·

The consensus seems that Vic Berger is best when he does the least. I don't agree with that consensus so Tomi Lahren repeatedly saying verbal diarrhea is coming out of her mouth entertains me

tacocat  ·  99 days ago  ·  link  ·

Vic Berger does a good job editing together examples of ignorance

novoblade  ·  100 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Helsreach - A Fan Movie [Warhammer 40k Animation]

This animation is definitely really cool though rough. I don't know too much about Warhammer 40K, but I do know that it had a heavy influence on Warcraft and Starcraft, two of my favorite game franchises.

Every now and then, curiosity gets the better of me and I decide to find clips of The Kardashians to watch. And every time without fail, I feel like I just killed some of my brain cells.

tacocat  ·  100 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think I've only seen clips of Bruce Jenner looking like the most miserable man ever. I guess he kinda was

novoblade  ·  103 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Smoked Spare RIbs!

Holy smokes my mouth is watering now. Why do I keep clicking on food related posts when I'm hungry?

Merlin  ·  102 days ago  ·  link  ·

So you can add to your grocery list and start cooking?! Haha

novoblade  ·  104 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 1911 - A Trip Through New York City (speed corrected w/ added sound)

It's really neat that nearly all the men are wearing a hat and suit. The uniformed apparel is a refreshing aesthetic compared to the hodgepodge of looks you'd find in NYC today.

novoblade  ·  104 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Weight of Numbers: Air Pollution and PM2.5

Widespread use of renewable energy and electrification of most transport modes can't come soon enough.

Whoa this is crazy. I thought the anti-vaccination movement was just an American thing. I guess ignoring science is a global phenomenon.