nonapus's comments

This is sort of a meta comment, but I think it's really fascinating for us to even be having this discussion. In a sense, humans are the brain cells of Earth. Essentially, Earth is kind of mulling over the idea of erasing a species, which it's never done before. I feel kinda bad for mosquitos, actually.

jaggs  ·  968 days ago  ·  link  ·

Two words. Unintended consequences.

I'd give everyone their money back.

nonapus  ·  1092 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What's Your Favorite Music Video?

I'm not a fan of Danny Brown's verses and the art style isn't the greatest, but it's still a great song/video.

Death Grips - Inanimate Sensations (great in every aspect IMO)

Shabazz Palaces - #CAKE (hedonism, mang)

nonapus  ·  1092 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: ASK HUBSKI: What was your favorite album of the year?

I don't know about my favorite, but Garden of Delete by OPN is definitely up there.

nonapus  ·  1098 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 152nd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Lonnie Holley - 'Looking for All (All Rendered Truths)'

nonapus  ·  1149 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Would anyone mind reading a poem I wrote? I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

To a lesser degree, yes. I usually wash my hands between one and four times, depending on my perception of how 'dirty' they are.

My right hand usually starts to dry out at this time of year due to the lower humidity. The poem references and exaggerates that aspect of my hand washing.

---

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it

---
thenewgreen  ·  1149 days ago  ·  link  ·

Do you suffer from this compulsion?

---
nonapus  ·  1149 days ago  ·  link  ·

---

Of course. It's about someone with OCD who is compulsively washing their hands.

Want me to go into more detail...?

---
user-inactivated  ·  1149 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interesting, thank you. I enjoyed the poem.

---
nonapus  ·  1149 days ago  ·  link  ·

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it

---
thenewgreen  ·  1149 days ago  ·  link  ·

Do you suffer from this compulsion?

---
nonapus  ·  1149 days ago  ·  link  ·

---
nonapus  ·  1149 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Microsoft no longer lets you opt-out of a Windows 10 upgrade

I've tried Ubuntu in the past, but always had trouble with Apple's hardware. Probably going to look further into it again at some point to see if compatibility has improved.

user-inactivated  ·  1149 days ago  ·  link  ·

Linux doesn't need a lot of system resources to run well. You could buy a used PC off Craigslist, pop in a new hard drive, and have a fresh Linux PC for you to tinker with.

DJWalnut  ·  1148 days ago  ·  link  ·

Anything made in the lase ten years will do. I've ram Virtural machines with less power than that

nonapus  ·  1150 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Microsoft no longer lets you opt-out of a Windows 10 upgrade

Pretty disappointed in MS. I've been dual booting Windows and OS X for a couple years and I've always preferred MS' file management to Apple's. Apple's feels very dumbed down and limited to me. I'd love to erase my Windows partition, but MS' file management is just too good.

mk  ·  1150 days ago  ·  link  ·

I feel similarly. You might give Ubuntu a try. It's becoming an increasingly viable Windows replacement.

user-inactivated  ·  1150 days ago  ·  link  ·

Here's a good list of distros, with pros and cons for each one and similar ones to consider.

Magnnus  ·  1146 days ago  ·  link  ·

Also this tool to suggest a linux distro.

nonapus  ·  1149 days ago  ·  link  ·

user-inactivated  ·  1149 days ago  ·  link  ·

DJWalnut  ·  1148 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  1150 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've always preferred MS' file management to Apple's.

Apple's case-insensitive filesystem is an abomination, but Windows' case-sensitive filesystem with case-insensitive interfaces takes the cake. It is entirely possible to create two files called "file" and "File" on an NTFS partition, and entirely impossible for users of almost any Windows application to read one of them.

Also it is 2015 and defrag is still a thing.

nonapus  ·  1160 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How would you stop mass shootings?

Yeah, I'm aware of the issues with implementation. It doesn't necessarily have to be required by the government.

Not sure why you're talking about the state prescribing morals. Ethics courses wouldn't do that; they would encourage people to think about morality, which is a powerful way of developing a moral compass. I don't see a problem with juniors or seniors learning about Robert Wolff; moral compasses should be as diverse as music preferences, and like i said before, thinking about morality rationally cultivates more considerate behavior in my experience. Obviously this is just my opinion and I could be completely wrong. I think you're probably right about freshmen being too immature. Obviously it isn't set in stone; juniors and seniors could probably handle it.

I'm taking an ethics course at the moment and it mostly revolves around understanding concepts proposed by Kant, Mill, and other philosophers. It has nothing to do with coercing people into certain moral frameworks.

nonapus  ·  1161 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How would you stop mass shootings?

It's a complicated problem that won't be solved with one solution. It needs several solutions implemented one at a time to determine what does and doesn't work.

One idea that I had was ethics and philosophy courses being required for high school freshmen. Young people should be encouraged to think about morality in a classroom setting. Just thinking about morality encourages people to be more considerate of one another (at least in my opinion).

jleopold  ·  1160 days ago  ·  link  ·

The issue that would develop with a required ethics course would be that the state cannot completely prescribe morals. Religious freedom requires a certain degree of autonomy there, as do political impartiality requirements. Also, any quality course of philosophy is going to also expose students to thinkers like Robert Wolff, who believe that the individual defines morality. I don't know when you last interacted with freshmen, but I don't think most of them are mature enough, or have seen enough practical applications of philosophy in other subjects to have a philosophy class be successful. Finally, national legislation of education requirements can be both controversial and difficult to pass/implement.

nonapus  ·  1160 days ago  ·  link  ·

Looks awesome! As a side note, 'vinyl' is both singular and plural. I'm not sure if English is your second language, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's even tricky for people that speak English as their first language. So yeah, don't say 'vinyls.' Vendors might try to rip you off because it indicates a lack of familiarity with vinyl. If using 'vinyl' sounds weird/awkward in a sentence, substitute 'records' for it.

(I really hope this doesn't come across as condescending/pompous. I just wanted to point it out and help you guys out.)

elizabeth  ·  1167 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh didn't know. I don't really know much about it honestly, I was just keeping company to my boyfriend :)

But the funny thing is that somehow the random LPs I spot are usually the more valuable ones. Without knowing the artist of anything about vinyl. My boyfriend jokes that I have an expensive taste just wired into me. During this trip, I scored a Japanese print of a Jefferson airplane album for 1$ that is worth around 20-30$.

nonapus  ·  1168 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 142nd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Mostly Charles Cohen for me. He's such a cool dude.

Album:

Interview:

Ah yeah, typo. Don't worry, I know the difference!

---