noeatnosleep's comments

You're not that far off, actually. I consider us similar to a modern take on usenet/NNTP. The UX should be a bit cleaner than those things, but I'm function, similar.

goobster  ·  374 days ago  ·  link  ·

Excellent. I have been hoping that someone would revisit that model, now that the underlying transport mechanism is so ubiquitous, reliable, and fast.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out...

FirebrandRoaring  ·  374 days ago  ·  link  ·

Do you have any preview available whatsoever? I've become interested in checking the UX claim, but I don't want to sign up to yet another service I may have no use for.

Also: Google Forms for sign-up request. What's that about? Is it even alpha stage if your sign-up forms are crutch-third-party?

The boss of the Project is Shane Allen, and he works for London Trust Media. (LTM owns a few things, including Private Internet Access, the VPN provider)

The initial targeted userbase is those who are willing to put in effort; content creators and curators especially. beyond that there is no specific target though I suspect with the way our platform is designed will most interest those who believe in free speech and are interested in technology, but we hope to not be limited to that scope.

We host our platform in the US jurisdiction and will police it as such, and anyone running their own node must police theirs according to their local laws.

johnnyFive  ·  374 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for the answers. A couple follow-up questions, if I may:

First, what's your funding source? Is it intended to be entirely donation-based, largesse-based, or something else?

Second, do you have a privacy or other policy?

(And I'll second FirebrandRoaring's concern about using Google Forms.)

I'm really happy to see you're still doing these. I've been pretty out of the loop for a while now. Life is crazy.

Long live #todayinhistory!

I'm actually starting a podcast called Today in History. I should post it up here when I have it officially launched.

francopoli  ·  933 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's a fun way to kick back to the community. I try to pick stuff that maybe we did not learn in school but had a big impact on the world.

noeatnosleep  ·  960 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Microsoft doubles down on its chatbot dumpster fire

Paywall.

noeatnosleep  ·  961 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Global page spam... is there a faster way to tag it besides opening each link?

That would be amazing!

mk  ·  961 days ago  ·  link  ·

FYI, I PM'ed you about a bug.

noeatnosleep  ·  988 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bigger than the Higgs, bigger even than gravitational waves...

Paywall. yay.

noeatnosleep  ·  1015 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: TIH: February 5, 62AD The Pompeii earthquake

This is great! You have such awesome #TodayInHistory posts.

francopoli  ·  1015 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm a bit of a history nerd and troll the "today in History" stuff to find something that most people don't already know. If I see something that makes me go "Neat!" I post it.

Glad I can help keep the tag rolling, I like this idea.

Wow, this is a good one.

noeatnosleep  ·  1023 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: TIH: January 28, 1986: Space Shuttle Challenger explodes just after lift off.

This is a great excerpt. Thanks!

noeatnosleep  ·  1031 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: TIH: January 19, 1809 - Edgar Allan Poe is born in Boston

That's awesome. Haha.

I love this.

thenewgreen  ·  1031 days ago  ·  link  ·

As kids, my neighbor and I used to recite parts of the Tell Tale Heart aloud while throwing the baseball back and forth. Mad men know nothing! Oops, sorry, I didn't mean to over-throw the ball... You should have seen me, you should have seen the persuasions I took.

noeatnosleep  ·  1031 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's awesome. Haha.

noeatnosleep  ·  1033 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Any idea why #TodayInHistory hasn't really caught on?

I should try that. That is a lot more work than my morning coffee reading being linked here.

Maybe I'm lazy?

Ooooh, nice. I work in aviation.

someguyfromcanada  ·  1029 days ago  ·  link  ·

Just stumbled upon this as well: https://100yearsagotoday.wordpress.com/

Thanks for that!

thenewgreen  ·  1033 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, it's ine if those things that is hit or miss. Perhaps a "this week in history" would be a more interesting post...

You could tailor the headline, for example: Tolkien is born, Sputnick and FDR's Four Freedoms

That would be neat.