a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
nil's comments
nil  ·  4 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 370th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

I'm a shithead.

Just don't do sketchy shit like this.

Fair. I should have clarified I didn't actually "hack" anything. I just made my penguin extra big client-side. Actual hacking is illegal and not okay.

I am getting back into it. I was doing web design again recently and am trying to write web apps in Python instead of PHP this time. Also got Android stuff so maybe I'll write a game and make a soundtrack too.

Oh yeah, I wrote a ridiculous number of programs in basically every language. Games, designing a website, web tools like in PHP. I could login to my site and make blog posts on my own interface. I started writing a platform game for Android but never finished it. Also that same thing on Nintendo DS homebrew. ;)

My magnum opus at the time was some massive "escape from the desert island" text adventure game. It went very in-depth and was very object-oriented. There was some scene where you could press the big red button and accidentally destroy the world. Plus I hacked Club Penguin.

Fuck I wish I had other people that shared my passion for coding when I was a kid. I was the only one.

applewood  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Maybe pick it back up? Find some people to collab with and make something awesome. An artist for the graphics, someone for the sound, a writer, etc.

I hacked Club Penguin.

Just don't do sketchy shit like this. Seriously, you're too smart and passionate to be wasting your time and talents.

nil  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Just don't do sketchy shit like this.

nil  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Showerthought: Being a Republican today is punk as fuck

Punk rock is and always was always anti-authoritarian. Saying that's anything close to a "Trump Republican" is completely wrong on every level. The point was to piss off the squares, not the "average" person. The point was anarchy, and freedom, and love essentially. Freedom from pain and the external world.

Replacing the accepted idols with degenerate failures.

That wasn't the point, nor were those musicians necessarily that. The point is people are fucking assholes and if you needed to adapt and sacrifice your individuality to the point where you didn't even recognize yourself anymore was it worth it?

Not becoming a fucking Stormtrooper. That's exactly what Punk Rock was fighting against from Day 1.

I replaced coding with electric guitar in the 10th grade when my older brother tried to kick my ass. All he did all day was brag about how much money he was making. I declared war on the capitalist system and started smoking weed.

applewood  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·

You ever make anything with coding? You ever think about picking it back up?

nil  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·

applewood  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I hacked Club Penguin.

nil  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Just don't do sketchy shit like this.

nil  ·  17 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Showerthought: Being a Republican today is punk as fuck

nil  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Java vs Python: Which One is Better for Future?

My secret is that I need God—that I am sick and can no longer make it alone. I need God to help me give, because I no longer seem to be capable of giving; to help me be kind, as I no longer seem capable of kindness; to help me love, as I seem beyond being able to love.
nil  ·  19 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: HSBC to cut 35,000 jobs worldwide

It's kind of hard to keep the business going when your main source of revenue is the Sinaloa cartel.

nil  ·  21 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Java vs Python: Which One is Better for Future?

Tell me who are You in such a fierce form? My salutations to You, O best of gods, be merciful! I wish to understand You, the primal Being, because I do not know Your mission.

The Supreme Lord said: I am death, the mighty destroyer of the world, out to destroy. Even without your participation all the warriors standing arrayed in the opposing armies shall cease to exist.

Therefore, get up and attain glory. Conquer your enemies and enjoy a prosperous kingdom. All these (warriors) have already been destroyed by Me. You are only an instrument, O Arjuna.

kingmudsy  ·  20 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes. The violence comes from a combination of giving up, not caring, and a resignation that getting past it is all you can hope to accomplish. So you kill the hour. You do not work, you do not read, you do not daydream. If you sleep it is not because you need to sleep. And when at last it is over, there is no evidence: no weapon, no blood, and no body. The only clue might be the shadows beneath your eyes or a terribly thin line near the corner of your mouth indicating something has been suffered, that in the privacy of your life you have lost something and the loss is too empty to share.
nil  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·

nil  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Nextdoor Wants to Be a One-Stop Shop for Police

Excellent. Now when Bob sees my son smoking that marrywanna in the alleyway between our houses he can slap that Forward to Police button on his new Nextdoor app on #iPhoneX. I mean, they aren't going to respond but they'll at least teach 'em a lesson. Throw him in jail for a few hours to teach him the consequences of his actions. By the way I saw a dude carrying a ladder down the street Reginald (#suspiciousactivity?) I don't know, better call 911 just to be safe. Too many weird people in this neighbourhood. You ever notice that? People just look different nowadays. :)

Whatever tiny amounts of freedom my generation had is certainly going to be gone in 20 years. The question remains: is anyone going to fight back?

nil  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: U.N. warns that runaway inequality is destabilizing the world’s democracies

Actually, according to Economics Theory who changed my life so I teach MY 13 year old and MY 10 year old (here's their pictures! Ohhh man Aiden and Tyler are so cute!) the gig economy has improved the standard of living of all as otherwise they would have no job at all. I mean shit, 1 > 0 and therefore the rational choice. 2 + 2 = 4 dude, sorry facts are fax. Now we've explained that the minimum wage is neither fair nor rational. This is confirmed by political game science.

Problem with democracy again is it's mob rule. It isn't fair a crowd of people should be able to conspire to take MY hard earned tax dollars and redistribute it to these bumbs. Ain't no free lunch shorty. Why should someone who sits on their ass all day and contributes nothing to society have the same say as me?

U.N. is a communist plot. If you'll excuse me I need to take a Lyft to the airport Starbucks. That cute girl is eyeing me alright, what are they Beats® by N.W.A. she's wearing? So Mr. Ive where'd you get these watches? What's your reading list? I got Harari biiiit he's explaining how we need a new public-private partnership of hot-cold water to solve artificial intelligence ethics haha eskeeeetttittt #Buttigeg2020.

nil  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 12, 2020

Roll that shit into iCloud and add web links and you got yourself a deal. I'll pitch it at the next meeting.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Let me know if Tim Apple is down.

Yeah, I think in addition to the poor battery life there weren't a ton of titles that came out for the Lynx, or exclusively for it. Ms. Pac-Man?

Also remember that's 5 hours of battery life on 6 AA batteries. That... isn't fun.

applewood  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Can't imagine why a handheld, 16-bit, CFL backlit console from the late '80s would be a battery hog. ;)

I'm no game historian, but I figure after both the 5200 and the 7800 struggled so much, developers probably soured on working with Atari, which might be a partial explanation for the lack of titles. Though it didn't look completely barren.

nil  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 12, 2020

The problem being an image host costs a boatload of bandwidth. Apple would have to eat the cost and they aren't exactly gung ho on advertising. Being an image host in general isn't the greatest business model.

mk  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I’d pay for it.

nil  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Let me know if Tim Apple is down.

nil  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Outsize Influence of Your Middle-School Friends

Fair. I was at a party in grade 11 where the cops showed up but they were just looking for some kid who violated his probation. Didn't even pour the beer out or nothin'.

We did roll up blasting Circle of Life and dancing by the car before setting a Christmas tree on fire in the basketball court. Never got caught - and that blaze was like 100ft high.