a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
nil's comments
nil  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what is your ideal for personal wealth?

There's also the fact that money changes yourself and it changes your friends. Start making millions and you might find your closest friends, the ones you've known since childhood can't picture you as anything other than a bank. Everyone asks for a personal loan. Everyone needs it. And if you don't provide, if you can't help out financially, you're an asshole. So you don't even need the threat of kidnapping to ruin your life. Hence, country clubs. Might as well go all the way and Jeff Bezos that shit.

And that quote? I don't have a wife's sister's husband but my dad did. Fucking loaded. My father never had an inferiority complex but my mother might have. I don't remember. The competitive instinct is great, I use it and need it, but it dies hard.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

People discount the fact that we tend to roll in cohorts. It's unlikely that you'll be vastly more successful than your friends; what tends to happen is we self-select for our level of achievement as we age.

Robert Caro said "power doesn't corrupt, it reveals." I think the same could be said about money. It's certainly a lot easier to be magnanimous and generous when you have enough; I think that's one of the reasons Trump won. All the people who used to be generous can't be anymore.

No, you're right. My main concern was becoming a target by having too much money. A million isn't exactly a lot of money anymore. Even with the purchasing power of the USD. Hell, the company one of my friends works for turned a profit of $9bn last year, of which the executives were compensated a great deal. Once you get enough you have clout and can hire a private army.

One Hundred. BILLION. Dollars.

Edit: also an 8% return is nucking futs. Remember inflation itself is 2%. Fattest dividends I've seen are like 3%. Okay 20% but that seems too good to be true. Consistently beating the market in risky equities?

e2: rip everyone's retirement.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

You roll up to the gas'n'sip with a million dollars and you will become a target. But you roll up to Doral with a million dollars and no one will give a FUCK. Take your million dollars to Columbia or Venezuela and things are awesome... so long as nobody knows you have it. I know a girl whose first husband was kidnapped twice in Mexico City. For like $10k ransom. I know a guy who spent $10k on a muffler.

- “A man's satisfaction with his salary depends on whether he makes more than his wife's sister's husband.”

- H. L. Mencken

nil  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Enough to sit on a pile of cash and be able to do whatever I please forever. I would still work though because work is a powerful socializer and you can lose contact with reality without work. Money gives you choice as to the work you do though. So roughly one million dollars.

thenewgreen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

After tax, $1m turns in to $700k. Let’s say you can get 8% a year returns from it. That’s $56k a year. So, if you don’t want to diminish your wealth, you have to live on $56k a year. Not shabby if you’re a single person, but also not terribly lavish.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

You're going to be taxed on that $56k a year, too - that's capital gains. So you're going to lose 15% of that - you're at $47,6. 8% is also kicking ass in this investment climate. Unless you're throwing it all at an index fund, and never move it, you're averaging 3% over the past 15 years. But let's say instead of 8% a year you have a 7% year. You're at $49k. This year you make $41k. Ohh, shit - we have a down year and we're down 10% (2008 was down 37%). That one...million dollars you've been keeping flat, which is actually 700,000, has just become $630k. Let's presume you're going to live lean that year - you can get buy on $20k (which sucks for a "millionaire" but there it is). You used to have a million dollars; now you've got $610k. And suppose it goes up 20% next year - you're back up to $732k. But you only get to pull $32k of that because you're trying to rebuild your nugget.

This is the life of a pension fund. Of an endowment. Of every municipal worker's retirement, of every teacher's retirement, of every school's operating fund. And remember - they were planning on 8%, too. And they've been running 3.

nil  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

One Hundred. BILLION. Dollars.

e2: rip everyone's retirement.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

- H. L. Mencken

nil  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Okay, I have a few issues with this article, but it's mostly just the tone Greenwald uses. Especially as further on he explains that's FISA warrants are a rubber stamping joke to begin with. Of course the FBI would try to get one in a flaky way, it's kind of their job to do foreign intelligence. Step into any politics class and you'll learn very quickly Russia is kind of considered to be a large geopolitical rival. The permanent members of the Security Council? Now this would be fine and dandy if Glenn didn't use the phrase "deep state operatives" unironically. You can anticipate what's going to happen next. #DEEPSTATECONFIRMED. See: Top 5 Priorities of the FBI.

It’s vital to reiterate this because of its gravity: we identified multiple instances in which factual assertions relied upon in the first FISA application were inaccurate, incomplete, or unsupported by appropriate documentation, based upon information the FBI had in its possession at the time the application was filed.

1) How would the DOJ know all of the facts? Presume for a minute you work for the FBI. You have suspicions. You want a warrant. You want to tell a story that makes it seem rock-solid. You have information suggesting that it isn't. But damn, it'd really be a knockout to take this guy out. And who's going to find out? Your boss? The risk/reward pathway is your internal clout here vs. an abstract notion of "justice," or being fired and charged with a crime.

If there was a deep state, I would presume the FBI would be talking to the CIA would be talking to Goldman-Sachs would be talking to lobbyists all over this and there'd be a chain of command and an organizational process. There is a process, but mostly it's just the FBI. I'm more inclined to believe there's a small team at the FBI that pulled this off, and they're trying to move up the corporate ladder. CNN is a business you fuckers! And they have a lot of money to offer to bureaucrats trying to pay off a vacation home. CNN is not "journalism" Glenn, Jake Tapper left journalism to join CNN. It's just before there were technological limitations such as the printing press and NTSC.

Mueller investigation examined these widespread accusations yet concluded that “the investigation did not establish that Page coordinated with the Russian government in its efforts to interfere with the 2016 presidential election.”

INDEFINITE DETENTION IS LEGAL.

New York Times’ Eric Lichtblau and Jim Risen (now with the Intercept) revealed in 2005 that the Bush-era NSA was illegally spying on U.S. citizens without the warrants required by law – it was widely understood that the FISA process was a rubber-stamping joke, an illusory safeguard that, in reality, offered no real limits on the ability of the U.S. Government to spy on its own citizens.

2) He technically is right, liberals shouldn't be okaying this infringement of rights just because it's the bad guy. But it's also a country where the left is non-existent and your choice is centre-right or crazy. The two party system is not going to guarantee your rights, period. Now we have FBI 2019 that's targeting individuals of both parties, and not nearly as brazenly as they used to. It's not good, but it's not a scandal of Historic Magnitude.

Essence of Decision. It provides a model. That's political science-tific fact son. They're all wrong, but organizational process is the closest to reality. Historically, the FBI has been paranoid about three things: 1) communism, 2) communism, and 3) "sexual irregularities." Their initial business was to take over the role of governing interstate commerce because the Justice Department was too phat and lacked resources. Great, stop human trafficking, stop organized crime, stop bootlegging, intern Japanese, hang on here, stop... communism, stop Dr. King (because he's a communist). Russians are no longer communist, but they're still enemies and historically P.B.F.'d America. Also Greenwald seems to think this is angering Russia and dangerous because Mutually Assured Destruction or some shit. Fuq?

But Trump. The Guy. Fucking. Talked. His. Way. Into. Office. Fuck. I. Hate. This. Timeline. No. Conspiracies. Just. Peak. DUMB.

D.T. stopped caring a long time ago. He's just having fun like it was his last day alive on a Cruise Ship or some shit, taking a Cruise Shit and updating Twitter. He's like Macbeth. He's a fucking nihilist. Tomorrow, and tomorrow,...

It sucks because it's other people's lives.

edit: today's solution is to get somebody super charismatic for 2020. And spread the message the only way to win is guerrilla-style. Just don't write "dismantle the FBI and PATRIOT Act on the campaign site."

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

The fundamental argument of Republicans, during the Bush wiretapping scandal, was "bbbut they went through FISA courts!" despite the fact that"During the 25 years from 1979 to 2004, 18,742 warrants were granted, while only four were rejected. Fewer than 200 requests had to be modified before being accepted, almost all of them in 2003 and 2004. The four rejected requests were all from 2003, and all four were partially granted after being submitted for reconsideration by the government." The fundamental argument of Republicans, during the attempt to make it look like the FBI shouldn't investigate the FBI, is "but in retrospect there was shaky evidence to obtain a FISA warrant!" when there is ALWAYS shaky evidence to obtain a FISA warrant.

The narrative being rammed down everyone's throats here is that the FBI is some heinous deep state conspiracy hell-bent on.... something rather than recognizing that the FBI has a charter to investigate interstate crime.

Fuckin' beanie babies. Beanie babies brought us here.

nil  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 11, 2019

That's actually sweet. Thanks. I did that in CS but not in a formal mathematical way or whatever. Classmate said the limit but the limit doesn't give you anything.

And hOW the fuck am I supposed to factor cubic equations? Guess? (r + 2)(r + 1)(r - 1) finally in the last 10 friggin minutes.

See u at Starbuck$.

Devac  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

And hOW the fuck am I supposed to factor cubic equations? Guess?

If all the coefficients are integers, as it is the case here, rational root theorem and Horner's method might be enough to do it fast. Though, Cardano's method is a much more general way of solving cubics and worth learning at some point.

nil  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 11, 2019

Act I: HAPPY HOLIDAYS

1a) Birth Celebration

i. Twenty-two. I don't define myself by how many sidereal days I've been flopping about this universe. It's easier to do when you have big "birthdays": driving, voting, alcohol. You know, the violation of our most basic human rights (Lowry 1993). As a social position it ends up being important but sometimes you can put yourself in a box. NOW IT'S THE BEST TIME OF YEAR. F*** THE HATERS.

ii. Career in law. This is what I wanted out of high school. This is why I did research. This is why I worked for free in some type of "youth council." This is why I blew $2k of pizza money three years ago to teach little kids the English language in Nicaragua. I did a blind LSAT two years ago and got 159. Not good. I could have maybe raised my score by prepping or you know, just doing it again, because I had never seen it before, but let's be honest here, could I have really? Law schools aren't typically hotbeds of reasonable political programs like giving babies the right to vote. It would have been nice to have some civil rights earlier, while I was bouncing up and down through societal institutions like a Jack Russell Fuckin' Terrier. But that's edgy, and I'm an adult now, and the worst part about claiming the right to get high isn't that drugs are so horrible, it's that it's mostly just a waste of time. I could spend twelve hours staring at a wall again or be on the grind.

1b) Data Science

i. I've been frantically applying for jobs in this industry in addition to the research and finals and job and pop tarts. Because I'm getting annoyed by the eleventh graders (sorry eleventh graders). I've changed, and the worst part of being forced to occasionally interact with young kids isn't their lack of experience or any of that BS you were fed by shaved bald men growing up. It's that they're too happy! Christmas music! I'm like, why the fuck are you happy? You're at McDonald's! Do. something! I can't fucking legally talk to you, even for tutoring money. I don't know, how was your weekend? Still doing drugs? How are the kids?

Act II: BECAUSE I NEED

2a) Sesh wit "da boys"

i. Is this a movie? Because young people are doing the exact same reckless stuff, down to specifics. Going to the beach in the middle of winter. Starting a cult. Christening the 23rd of this month as magic mushroom day. Fun, is fun, but I'm not that special. The most wild and meaningful experiences of my teen years never felt like they materialized into much. Maybe just my approach to reality changed and that's good enough. Driving your friend to the countryside while cranking "Sheep" by Pink Floyd after they nearly attack you with household objects because they're tripping and you walked in during the peak. Yes, blues tastes like steak, MGMT tastes like candy, and you owe us $260 in back taxes for our cult. But all the consciousness expansion and getting laid at a semi-formal wasn't enough to make me start uni at 14 like an adult. Friend:

"bro u need to drop out bro just focus on ur mental health just WORK bro full-time u can always finish later."

ii. No. You can't. You can't finish "later." You do nothing! I'm the most centred guy I know. The average of my emotions is directly in the centre! My grandpapper is right, "year off = jack off." I got Fat Joe, one missed call from data science and a healthy fear of death. I need change. I need work, I need challenges. What I don't need is your fucking lazy ass arrogantly standing over me like you know something, telling me to quit life while dating high school girls! And as the community is probably aware, she has no big plans afterward.

2b) Post-Adolescent Expertise

i. I didn't get laid while I got my dehghree or any of this. My survival instinct, that bottom level on Mazlow's Hierarchy was cut loose by Prozac and the caricature I developed to fit in to my "career." Because I was constantly contortionizing with my personality. As long as the general direction is towards love and helping more than hurting it's best to always be yourself and speak your mind. Tell people the truth, don't be bullshitting folks!

ii. Fight for change in a way that is true to yourself, not creating a caricature of your idealized personality. Don't create the version you think "the world" wants "to see," trust me, they know. The animal body can only deal with so many abstract moral systems and many of them had serious epistemic problems to begin with. I know how much conformity is appropriate, a good deal, but not all of it. Just fucking be yourself, Jesus.

Act IIV: FINALS WEEK

It is said that science fiction and fantasy are two different things. Science fiction is the improbable made possible, and fantasy is the impossible made probable. - Rod Serling

3a) Fox, No Items, Final Destination

i. I am in a good mood though. And I believe in love. With responsibility this time. Wave Fuctions bitty. I wrote the final. I studied insanely hard. I knew how to do basically everything. But I ran out of time. Come to think of it, everyone ran out of time. To the point where the prof interrupted shit to announce leniency. I'm not confident in grades getting curved though. This shit is hard work. It's a test, you can do 27 word problems from 4 chapters as practice but you better be fast at factoring some gigantic ass expression with angular frequency to the power of 4, to 2, nested brackets, zeros in zeros, yeah the "quadratic formula" exists moron. Next up, figure out which terms to "eliminate" to get an expression for x as q gets very large or small (but not taking an actual limit!?) At least I've already finessed myself into one place.

ii. Granny says the most important thing is hard work. I agree. Sci-fi is better than fantasy, LSD is better than mushrooms, physics is better than biochem and I still believe this universe was still created for the purpose of love.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

1. Lowry, Lois. The Giver. New York : Laurel Leaf Books, 2002, c1993. Print.

Devac  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's, essentially, big O/small o notation. It's extremely useful for visualising behaviours of all sorts of things, though, for some reason, it's mostly talked explicitly about by CS people. For example, f(x) = x + exp(-x) could be considered as two cases, one for x ≥ 0 (where exp(-x) contributes increasingly less the larger the x) and x < 0 (where behaviour is dominated by exp(-x)). Additionally, it means that regardless of what non-zero constants multiply those expressions (be mindful of the sign), big picture, the behaviour won't change.

And, yes, despite looking like handwaving difficulties away, it's actually a formal way of simplifying, discussing and solving problems.

nil  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

See u at Starbuck$.

Devac  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

And hOW the fuck am I supposed to factor cubic equations? Guess?

nil  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 11, 2019

Yes, but there is one key distinction. You're talking about white people.

nil  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How I Get By: A Week in the Life of a McDonald’s Cashier

Heyyy I'm playing that game right now. Pop Tarts for dinner is Jason Litty. So is walking home 2 and a half hours from work in the freezing cold because the busses stopped running and there's $8 in your chequing account.

Fortunately I have my special savings accounts for rent and whatnot (that gets filled immediately) but having money left over at all comes from the main ingredient: socialism. That's the ultimate advantage.

So the progression through the fast food industry typically goes like this:

1) Customer Service:

- Minimum wage, part-time to full-time hours. No health insurance, no benefits. You're here if you're in high school, because a lot of places won't promote you to management until you're 18+ or decided you're done with school. I've generally seen people who've held such jobs before or are adults be fast-tracked to

2) Assistant Manager:

- $1-2 over minimum wage, part-time to full-time hours. Sometimes health insurance, benefits, and (tiny) bonus if you work full-time, but usually not. Still can be flexible but you're usually opening/closing always, none of that work for 3 hours BS. Can sort of do this and attend post-secondary.

3) General Manager:

- mandatory full-time, sometimes on salary, profit sharing. These people can make actually decent money in some places if you're lucky. But it takes effort. And a large part of this money comes from profit sharing. Your actual salary is still bad, but you can rake in this part. I've seen this person make $40k-$70k a year depending on location.

4) Corporate/Franchise:

- congratulations, you now own a store and have certified FBGM conditions. This is also likely your career.

So basically she's largely stuck at 1. She won't escape her trap until she gets to 3, but then she'll be on a full-time salary and more committed. When I was a youth and trying to figure out why I needed to wait 18 years to have basic human rights, I thought I wasn't getting promoted because of "office politics", "dropouts", yada yada. Truth be told, it's just a grind. Hard fucking work. That's the most important value, really.

Not gonna lay that on her though because she's been through enough for 2 lifetimes. Nor do I have a serious medical condition with no insurance.

No doubt. I did some googling and found a 1 bedroom will cost you $717/month on average in Durham. So, making $7/hr after tax and you're working at least 26 hours a week just to keep the lights on, aka twice what would be reasonable for that PLUS groceries, and all the other necessities of life.

Still, I don't know her, and can't speak to her particular situation, but commuting 2-3 hours by bus to work is definitely a lot. That's 15-25 hours a week. Unless NC transit is actually that horrible it seems like she's starting in Raleigh and bussing it all the way to Durham. First, head to the McD's closer to your place and finesse that hiring manager. Then we eat the rich.

Foveaux  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

$7 an hour? What. The. Fuck. She's been in the industry for 14 years and she gets paid that!

And paying full for her diabetic medicine. Also what the fuck.

What a depressing read. Fuck I'm sad. And angry!

steve  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I haven't read the article yet (but plan to). I don't think there is a reasonable expectation that fast food wages would go up with tenure. That is an entry level job, designed around a part-time workforce. There's an entire other conversation we could/should have around what a living wage is... but honestly - she's competing for that job with High School kids who live at home, are covered by their parents' health insurance, and eat their parents' food.

And please don't mistake my point as some right wing "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" ideology. I have tremendous sympathy for this person's situation (just from the snippet I've read).

nil  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

So the progression through the fast food industry typically goes like this:

1) Customer Service:

2) Assistant Manager:

3) General Manager:

4) Corporate/Franchise:

Foveaux  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I agree with what you're saying in regards to competition, certainly don't think you're bootstrapping! But surely that many years in the industry you work your way up the chain to some degree - she apparently left the role initially as she was promoted but not given the pay rise she was promised. So she was doing the right thing and getting shafted regardless - the poor thing.

It's just the wages combined with the lack of healthcare and how she works herself off her feet just to keep the lights on. I really can't imagine that life and it's so unsettling knowing people are forced to live like that. If I don't get a payrise in a certain amount of time, I just leave for another role - but that doesn't sound like something she can do in her situation. She's spent years in the industry but wasn't given any training or progression plan to help her in the future.

The issue is that you're not so much talking about a corporate ladder as a corporate stepstool. You go from fry cook to front register to maybe assistant manager and then that needs to be parlayed into something better somewhere else.

We're talking about a person who has worked entry-level jobs for fourteen years. Which sucks. No doubt. Steve's argument - which I agree with - is that there needs to be a compassionate plan for people who are never going to rise above entry-level. I mean, yeah - she didn't get promoted to assistant manager in 2015 but that was 10 years into her food service career. For all we know, the past four years she's been the Maitre'd at Spago (but probably not). You're right - it's unsettling knowing people are forced to live like that and there are lots of them, and there are plenty who are doing worse, and we need to do something about it.

Welcome to Capitalism

MIT Cost of Living calculator for two adults, no kids is $9.53 an hour., "living wage" being calculated from

\Basic needs budget = Food cost childcare cost (insurance premiums health care costs) housing cost transportation cost other necessities cost

Living wage = Basic needs budget + (basic needs budget*taxrate|

And we only know what she's making, not what her boyfriend is making. We know they moved in with his parents for some reason. We know she lost her car. We know she's diabetic. And she's making 3 cents less per hour than what MIT considers the bare minimum.

What you're illustrating is the basic conservative/liberal divide: a conservative would argue she needs a job closer to her home, that she needs to negotiate her pay better, etc. A liberal would argue that live needs to not suck for those people who lack the skills to negotiate a better paycheck or find a better job. Let's be honest: she's been working food service jobs for fifteen years. There's a failure to thrive here that a compassionate society works with, rather than punishes. Thee or me? Yeah, we'd find a smart way out of that situation and things would suck less. But your average conservative doesn't understand that when life starts sucking for the people who don't know the ropes, they start voting for Trump.

nil  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 360th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

I can't believe Slowdive was on hiatus 22 years and still managed to drop the heat.

nil  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What was the best album of 2019

Norman Fucking Rockwell painting by Lana Del Rey.

nil  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Great news, everyone! The holocaust is over!

RIP Juice.

This better be as good as The You Testament. Otherwise I'm cancelling Christmas.

nil  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Privacy Analysis of Tiktok’s App and Website

Is there a good mirror for that interview? I've been trying to link it without giving Ezra Levant page views.

I can't remember where I saw it first; Twitter's search is awful.