neurotransmissions's comments
neurotransmissions  ·  284 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is Luke Skywalker's Robotic Hand Possible?

That sounds cool. You're right that it would be a good fit for something like the Luke arm. The future is bright for prosthetics, that's for sure!

neurotransmissions  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why does 280 characters feel so long on Twitter?

You and me both! I'm imagining a video that starts like, "If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, what does a cheeseburger a day do?" :D

I think that from a logical perspective, that makes sense. But I still couldn't find any research about it, which is kind of silly. There's no research on the impact of "luxury" or the perception of "more".

But you are totally right. Any increase will be noticeable until you adjust to it. The friend that gave me the idea says he's already used to the 280 characters now, so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

user-inactivated  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·

If any of your scientist friends ever want to do an experiment with daily cheeseburgers, I will readily volunteer. :)

neurotransmissions  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's so interesting! Yeah, alcohol can do some crazy things to your brain. While it does help you fall asleep faster and you sleep more deeply (generally speaking), it reduces the amount of REM sleep, which is thought to be really important for the cleaning process and helping you have that "refreshed" feeling in the morning. Thanks for watching, btw!

neurotransmissions  ·  312 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Something is Wrong on the Internet

I read this article the other day. I've seen these videos and the entire system is just messed up. I think YouTube needs better restrictions on their "Kids" content. Personally, I think I would curate the content my kids watch, but when there is an autoplay function, it can really lead down a dark hole.

Nice Wikipedia reference! Lol

user-inactivated  ·  324 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.

Hey y'all! Thanks so much for watching and asking great questions. I'll try my best to reply to the concerns that were brought up and go from there.

First, it's important to say that optogenetics likely has no plans for human use. In order for optogenetics to work, your genetic code has to be manipulated. That means that someone would need to modify the genetic code of an embryo. Considering the level of controversy surrounding genetic modification of humans, this is extremely unlikely. If it were ever to be considered for human use, it would (of course) bring up a ton of ethical concerns. However, if you were to modify all neurons, it would be difficult to get a specific response. I guess I'm trying to say that optogenetics doesn't have many practical uses at this time.

So you might be asking, "well then why is optogenetics useful for humans?" This gets to your implications question. If we are able to identify the neuronal pathway of a mental health disorder, then we can better develop therapeutic interventions for it. For example, we could create better medications that target those specific neurons or more accurately use deep brain stimulation. Imagine having a medication that affects only the neurons in your amygdala and reduces your panic response to normal levels. The more we know about these pathways, the better treatment we can provide!

As a footnote, since it was mentioned, ethical considerations are extremely important. Unfortunately, there are plenty of examples of horrible, unethical studies conducted by researchers in the name of science. However, today, all scientists are responsible for ethical, responsible research. Almost all professional associations, government agencies, and universities have adopted specific codes, rules, and policies relating to research ethics. Additionally, funding and approval processes are set up in a way to require ethical conduct in research and it eliminates studies where the benefits do not outweigh the damages. Failure to uphold an ethical code can result in loss of employment, formal disciplinary action, and criminal charges. It is not something that is taken lightly!

In any case, thanks again for watching! I'm glad you all liked it and I look forward to any other questions you may have!!

neurotransmissions  ·  417 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Video Game Therapy...is it a real thing?

Haha, congratulations on getting over your fear of vomiting! That's a great story. It sounds like you had a pretty good therapist. NBA Jam was one of my favorites growing up. I have an SNES in my office and still play it to this day with my clients. Carrying on the tradition, I guess!

Ohhhhhh, thank you kind person! That has been fixed.

neurotransmissions  ·  417 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Adam Ruben: Another tenure-track scientist bites the dust

And this is why so many PhDs will not go into academia. My wife included! She'll be getting her PhD in neuroscience next year, but is not even looking at becoming a PI.

mk  ·  417 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes. I have a number of friends and family that have left or not even entered the PI path because the prospects have become so dim.

My cousin and his wife are both biomedical PhDs that graduated a few years ago. She went into medical writing, and he went from a biotech startup to pharma. They are happy, and earning at least twice what they would have been.

neurotransmissions  ·  417 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I guess that's the closest I can get to 'realistic' painting

This looks like Degas met Goya and got depressed. I like it!

neurotransmissions  ·  536 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 221st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Oh hell yeah! I've been loving Slip Away by Perfume Genius. There is a music video, but the Spotify version is better and the complete version:

neurotransmissions  ·  536 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Can tilapia skin be used to bandage burns?

Gross, but also cool.

What questions or comments do you hate getting from people about your trans experience?

coffeesp00ns  ·  535 days ago  ·  link  ·

"Would trans people exist if we didn't have gender as a social structure?" is a big one. It's even been asked here.

It's just such a pointless question that is functionally designed to discredit the trans experience. "Your existence is only a thing because of the way our culture is, and is therefore invalid", is basically what they are trying to say.

It also makes little sense because there are other cultures which have more than two genders (both currently and historically). Basically, humans as a species have been trying to explain trans people for thousands of years, and have mostly been unsuccessful.

Most of the questions that I hate getting are the ones that are leading - people with a little bit of information and a whole lot of opinion who want to tell me how wrong I am for being trans, or want to create a "gotcha" moment. Like, Yes, i did in fact decide to play my life on Hard Mode and decided to be trans - Like, come on, really? I don't have all the answers because science doesn't have all the answers either - no one does so far as we can tell - but that doesn't mean that I can be dismissed because I make your life inconvenient (the plural you, not you specifically).

blackbootz  ·  532 days ago  ·  link  ·

The question was from a place of ignorance, and was asking for your insight. I am not trying to discredit the trans experience, neither actively nor by "functionally designing" questions.

If you read that sort of malice in me, then I'm not sure what hope there is in us talking over the internet. Like I'm for real confused as to how, in my effort to be respectful when baring my ignorance to you, I piss you off. More than confused, I'm discouraged and upset. I couched my question about gender identity in pointing out how clueless cisgendered jocks are to what grounds their identity. What was leading about my question was me asking you to speak to cisgendered masculinity, something you might not know personally about because you identify differently. I was still just asking your opinion. If you thought it was leading because I was asking you to discredit the trans experience, you have me wholly mistaken.

coffeesp00ns  ·  532 days ago  ·  link  ·

naw man, If I was pissed off specifically at you, I would have responded directly to you instead of . You just happened to ask a question that does often get asked with malice in the heart. I got where you were coming from, and took your question in the spirit it was asked, which seemed to be a good one to me.

blackbootz  ·  532 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sorry for assuming you were sneak throwing shade at me. I guess I'll never learn not to ass u me.

coffeesp00ns  ·  532 days ago  ·  link  ·

you're fine. It was definitely written unclearly. <3

neurotransmissions  ·  536 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I have completed drug and alcohol rehabilitation

Way to go! It's a big step and the road ahead may be bumpy, but you got this!