a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
mk's comments
mk  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Git is simply too hard

IMHO you could significantly improve git usability by changing nothing but the names.

mk  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bugski? PSA: Deleted posts are now possibly gone forever. UPDATE: They are not!

I can't believe I forgot about /deleted. We don't pay you enough, Devac.

mk  ·  202 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 13, 2020

That's really cool to hear about Twylos. I shared your comment with G. Vrill. IMO Twylos is masterful.

Maybe getting this canvas map will help induce your players.

mk  ·  279 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 26, 2020

This might break things.

It definitely can and will be improved upon. I'll post about it tomorrow if things don't crash tonight.

Impressive, Devac. ;)

mk  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 10, 2019

In one week I was in China, the upper peninsula of Michigan, LA, Chicago and home in Ann Arbor again. That was a bit too much.

Back to work.

wasoxygen reported that he received an email from Hubski. That's a wonderful development. Please recheck your spam folders and mark Hubski emails as not spam.

mk  ·  552 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 29, 2019

I think it's because they are http, not https.

mk  ·  750 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: mk's senolytic smoothie

How does it improve upon the tablets?

mk  ·  816 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A question regarding perception.

I think that's in the same neighborhood.

It's interesting in that previous moves don't confer any advantage in chess, except to the extent that they might influence your opponent's decision-making. That might be one advantage of AI in chess playing. I suspect that chess AI's don't consider previous moves, but just optimize from that point going forward. I am not sure that humans can fully escape the influence of previous moves.

mk  ·  887 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 27, 2018

I've done a little bit of hiring, and IMO it's no less confusing on the other side. You try to pick someone you think will fit with everyone else, and you want someone that will stay, and everyone needs to agree upon that person. TBH, experience is a big factor, but not necessarily as important as feeling the fit is good. We've passed on people that we all wanted to hire, just because there was someone else we all wanted to hire.

I wouldn't take the excuses/reasons given to heart. They probably are only partially true, probably not the deciding factor, and it's not unlikely that you were edged out for a trivial or arbitrary reason.