mk's comments
mk  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 3, 2018

More progress on this one. I am going to drop a tree in it.

Quite motivated to vote atm.

Surprised to be sharing a panel with Ralph Merkle next week. Pretty much buried at work.

mk  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sex and Drugs Decline Among Teens, but Depression and Suicidal Thoughts Grow

Worked for me. Only half kidding.

b_b  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·

No joke

moslydeaf  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·

It worked for me till it didn't haha. It generally got me through till the point I worked out a lifepath of sorts for myself though. I'm curious what can be done for you the youth to decrease depression and fatalism. I know there's been studies linking social media and depression, I also know that's a much bigger thing for the younger generation, more so than mine (I'm 25). I haven't had anything beyond an Instagram for following artists in 5 years so am unsure how you tackle something so entangled in many people's lives.

Job prospects and having hope in the future are an issue too I'm sure, but its hard to be content with a blue collar job and a hobby a side hustle when you see everyone's highlight real on Facebook and snapchat

ThatFanficGuy  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·

I know there's been studies linking social media and depression

I did a project for my Psychology course in the uni, a translation of a study. The point of study was that there are two ways in which people compare themselves to others: upward (when you look up to someone and feel sorry for not having it just as good) and downward (when you look down and someone and pity them for not having it as you good as you do). It's especially prominent in social media.

Upward comparison leads to narcissism and self-centeredness. Downward comparison leads to decreased self-esteem and is a contributing factor towards depression.

Job prospects and having hope in the future are an issue too I'm sure

I can only speak for my country, but it seems like it's a problem present in both Russia and the US, to varying degrees. Here, most people insist that you need "the paper" (a uni or similar higher ed diploma) to get a job. Most people study just to get it, regardless of the degree or the university, because they believe it allows them the promised prospects.

Government jobs necessitate it, which is understandable, but there are plenty of jobs where skill is all you need yet where "the paper" is a requirement. Translation, for example: if you possess a decent level of the language, it's easy to see what is a good translation and what is not.

I don't have a clue whether it's as bad as people say it is. I've only ever been in semi-official positions: car wash, construction; neither asked me for the diploma. "Get to work". "Yes, sir".

My sister's first degree is in beer brewing. Her mother insisted she get "the paper", and my sister still had no specialty job; closest she got to beer was bartending. Her second is in legal; she had a migration service job for a while, then moved on to court office. She's been trying to get the education she wanted - social work - for a few years now, and every time there's a bump on the road - and she can't enter the uni that year. She's 33.

Our Economics 101 teacher, much as I dislike her, made a good point when she said that higher education gets devalued through the increase in student influx. When everyone needs a degree even to mop the floors (which a cliche people use when describing the situation), you get overcrowded classes, a ton of students who don't give a crap about the field and, therefore, more work for the same small staff of teachers. Her point was that, with more students who get into higher ed because they "have to", there are fewer genuine specialists ready to work in the field, and in an already-oversaturated job market, it can only lead to people working somewhere other than their field of expertise.

johnnyFive  ·  121 days ago  ·  link  ·

Those are all true things, and are generally consistent with my own experience and what I've read.

Degree saturation is absolutely a problem. It kind of makes sense from the employer's standpoint, though: you can be basically outsoure verifying someone's competence, which I could see being especially nice in something somewhat more subjective (like translation). There's also a degree of standardization that comes from a formal education. You can be self-taught and good at something, but I think there are more likely to be skill gaps, and you also may not be able to communicate as effectively if you haven't been taught your field's specific vocabulary.

In the U.S., the big problem is student loans. It's far too easy to get what feels like free money, and so even as the economy and job market fell off a cliff, no one was doing the cost-benefit analysis (to the extent that you can gather enough information). Meanwhile, universities are too unwilling to fail people or to deny admission.

This is a big problem within the legal profession. Bar passage rates have been declining steadily for the last several years, and the American Bar Association (ABA), which accredits law schools in the US, has largely been asleep at the switch (when they're not being arbitrary). It may actually be good for the health of the profession in the long term, in that it'll reduce the number of lawyers to saner and more sustainable levels. But that doesn't help all the people who were granted admission to and graduated from law school but who simply lack the ability to pass the bar exam. The bar exam is hard.

My own experience is not inconsistent with this. I have a side job where I grade essays for a bar review class (this is a separate, privately-run course that prepares you for your state's bar exam). Basically every term, I have someone who is clearly a non-native English speaker, and who is simply incapable of passing. This person usually can't fully understand the question (you have to pay attention to very specific details a lot of the time), and then is unable to convey their answer with enough clarity and detail. (There are times when I don't even know what they're actually arguing.) Yet these are all people who have post-graduate degrees from ABA-approved law schools.

tacocat  ·  121 days ago  ·  link  ·

It worked for me till it didn't

I say that exact thing pretty often

moslydeaf  ·  121 days ago  ·  link  ·

You're always on top till you realize you hit bottom haha, or something along those lines. From what I've gleaned lurking it seems we have some shared experiences in that department.

mk  ·  131 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Spam PM?

Ok I'll nerf PMs for non-promoted users.

Thanks a lot, Annie_Olive.

mk  ·  133 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: TANK

TANK is good.

I remember when graphics like this were on the bleeding edge.

Of course, there's always a nostalgic component of retro tech, but it should also serve as a reminder that because our brains can fill in, is sometimes why something is so good.

My daughter and I have been playing some Minecraft together, and she is so excited about taming a horse and making some armor for it. It doesn't matter one bit that the horse is cubic.

Dude I miss vector engines so much. That's the truly impressive thing: a skilled craftsman can now effectively assemble the Battlezone engine within AfterFX.

I enjoyed playing "count the influences" - Battlezone is clearly in there, as is Tron, but I never thought I'd say "ohh shit, this guy played O.G.R.E.!"

fun fact: Atari got a two-color vector graphics display in Battlezone by putting red cellophane over the top 2" of the CRT

mk  ·  133 days ago  ·  link  ·

After the mead comment I should have learned never to underestimate your madcap gaming prowess.

FOR THE SAKE OF POSTERITY: It took mk less than four minutes to find his copy of OGRE, take a picture of it, post it to Imgur and link to it. He might keep it in a body cavity.

mk  ·  137 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Live - Maryland Edition

Once you circledot...

ecib  ·  137 days ago  ·  link  ·

What rhymes with circledot...

mk  ·  137 days ago  ·  link  ·

Orange, I think.

Good peeps right there. Total OG meetup.

Damn, don't we correct for red-eye in 2018?

steve  ·  137 days ago  ·  link  ·

Better without the flash

mk  ·  137 days ago  ·  link  ·

Less demon.

steve  ·  136 days ago  ·  link  ·

More clearly defined biceps on bootz

mk  ·  150 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Santa Fe High School shooting in Texas: At least 8 killed, sheriff says - CNN

Yes, neither have helped, but I don't see they have changed at the rate of this phenomenon. It seems like a genuine trend in the expression of despair. I think social media may be no less a contributing factor than guns, gun culture, and a lack of resources, possibility, and even norms for empathic individual interventions.

I think isolation has gone up. I think social skills have gone down. I think it's easier to find fringe opinions and harder to internalize gestalt culture.

That's definitely a recipe for suicide bombers.

ecib  ·  148 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, I think the isolation + fringe opinions part is key. Lord knows there is a niche rabbit-hole for every bizarre desire and destructive emotion on the internet. Micro-communities can now easily form around fleeting ideas and phases of despair, giving them a place to take root and grow. Then add the intersection with gun culture and you're baking a cake.

I've had similar thoughts to mk in that what used to be suicides are now turned outward. I'm not sure that the hopelessness or despair have gone up though. I think it's more that those with that despair have access to networked micro-communities that celebrate taking others out with you, they see the media reward others who have, the constantly growing list of others who have done the same, all against a backdrop of a culture where the NRA add below is mainstream for large communities in our country:

1977:

1988:

Yet even the most thorough timelines don't go back past '84.

Used to be we'd talk about school shooters to the point where Kurt Russell played one.

Now? Now the NRA and their lickspittles instruct us to shut the fuck up because apparently "copycats."

Access to guns has not appreciably changed since Kennedy was shot. Yet mass shootings are through the roof. Know what has changed?

Left-wing hostility toward European Union-type multilateral organizations is at record highs.1

1. The ass of D. Brooks.

Hillary won the primary and the popular vote. OTOH Jeb Bush couldn't contend with dick jokes and the blood of Kennedy.

mk  ·  185 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: “Is curing patients a sustainable business model?” Goldman Sachs analysts ask

b_b and I were just looking at the construction site of a large cancer center yesterday, and I joked that they better not cure cancer too soon.

I can see how people care about money, it gives you shelter, security, and maybe yachts, but what a sad illusion that money is some sort of cardinal direction.

If you have shareholders, it's the only thing you're allowed to care about.

Thus, end-stage capitalism.

mk  ·  193 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Would you rent a watch?

I would not.

mk  ·  200 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Funding Hubski (and others)

In the year 120000 you will cover our costs single-handedly! :)

Only if Forever Labs is more successful than anticipated.

mk  ·  201 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Update: Change to our TOS

Thanks. I wrote this prior to adding the ability to donate:

To date, donation has been enough.

I'd kill Hubski off before selling its soul. Thankfully, I don't need Hubski to contribute to my living wage. Maybe in the future there will be a new economic model that enables Hubski to scale up and keep its soul, but we can be endlessly patient in waiting for that day.

nowaypablo  ·  200 days ago  ·  link  ·

Build a casino feature with a dedicated fake currency ("Currenski") to dodge online gambling legislation, charge transfer fees and gains fees as the house in poker and blackjack. I've seen this for Counter-Strike, and of all places, Puzzle Pirates.

mk  ·  215 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 14, 2018

Latest open ever?

I'm in Berlin at a SENS conference. A double layover flight from Austin, quickly followed by a dinner with longevity folk at a very old restaurant.

I am feeling both awake and tired.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  214 days ago  ·  link  ·

Are you promoting Forever Labs and its work?

mk  ·  214 days ago  ·  link  ·

I kinda always am. But also here to collaborate and learn.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  214 days ago  ·  link  ·

Isn't your work unique? I was under the impression. Guess I never heard of someone doing longevity research. I thought stem cells was just a staple of the genre.

mk  ·  214 days ago  ·  link  ·

What we are doing is, but it’s a growing area of research. About 200 people here.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  214 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good. Your research sounds downright awesome.

mk  ·  235 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I mentioned Hubski on Twitter today and has a good chuckle on one of the responses. 🤗

LOL I was not mail order.

steve  ·  235 days ago  ·  link  ·

well... kinda....

_refugee_  ·  235 days ago  ·  link  ·

Storytime

mk  ·  249 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Gig Economy immolations begin

And Lyft and Uber will offload their giggers as fast as the autonomous conversion will allow. It’s sad, but the politicians can only alter the nature and speed of the transition. To do otherwise would do greater harm in the long run.

katakowsj  ·  249 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good point, but where do we expect a Limo driver of 40 years to take some responsibility for recognizing the writing on the wall?

There's a whole lot of catastrophe hidden in the phrase "in the long run."

That's real wages in the UK. The mess from 1500-1600 is the Reformation, Bloody Mary, dissolution of the monestaries, rise of the Anglicans and the general economic depression of the British Isles leading up to the Wars of the Three Kingdoms. The mess from 1750 to 1850 is the rise of industrialization and all it brought on.

I've now read two 200-plus page studies of technology and employment. They both make the argument that technology never affects employment, it affects jobs and that the only thing, the best thing, the essential thing is large-scale retraining. The study under LBJ from 1965 and the study under whatever conservative think tank from last month came to the same conclusions, and dollars to donuts the modern study is going to be ignored just as hard as the one from 1965.

The limo driver with 40 years of experience is fucked if he chooses to be a limo driver with 41 years of experience. He's also fucked if he thinks anybody is looking out for him. The problem we're about to face, in spades, is the percentage of people taking a long, hard look at their jobs and saying "will I still be doing this in 10 years? What can I do that will still be here and how do I start doing that?" is heartbreakingly small. Everyone else knows change is coming and thinks/hopes that they can hang on until they can retire.

And then change comes. And then they're fucked. And what they know is they did everything right and the system ate them alive.

And then they vote to Make America Great Again.

goobster  ·  248 days ago  ·  link  ·

... and then when you do give them exactly what they asked for, they refuse to participate because it's easier to sit your lazy ass on the couch and watch Faux News while cashing that sweet free government check every month.

The future is not retraining.

The future is angry people sitting on barcaloungers yelling at the TV while eating their food provided by government food stamps, getting their heathcare from government funded Medicare, which prescribes them opioids for their bad back (from sitting in the chair and eating literal shit constantly), and paying the rent with the money the government gives them every month because their former boss failed to plan for a non-coal future and modernize the business, and just let it augur into the ground of obsolescence.

Meanwhile, us "liberal coastal elites" will continue to invent shit, and drive the economy, while these sad fucks suck at our juicy taxable teats.

Now I know how Germany feels...

bfv  ·  248 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd be perfectly content if the Fox News demographic voted for taxing me more for decent health insurance and a better safety net instead of for building the great wall of racism.