mk's comments
mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: mk's senolytic smoothie

I have a pal that just went for it with fisetin supplements. He reported no observable ill effects, except for itchy skin after eating more than a bottle. He has 30 years on me, and is in senolytics R&D. Don't try this at home.

I'm going to give it more time, and do some experiments (in the lab) myself before replacing a smoothie.

mk  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

Welcome, Clariti.

mk  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 303rd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

mk  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bitcoin Price Prediction Winner

Ok, so it will be $65,000 on January 1, 2020.

mk  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Large Majorities Dislike Political Correctness - The Atlantic

I can understand the argument, but one difference is that you do indeed call gay people gay as it’s an inoffensive description. Retarded isn’t an inoffensive label for anyone. It is bad. It wasn’t a very good descriptor of a disability from the start, because it is a specific shortcoming applied to a general set of conditions. I’d argue that’s why it works so well as an insult. It’s a very specific one.

No one says “hey my son is stupid” or “hey my son is retarded”, “...don’t use that word like that.”

mk  ·  35 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Large Majorities Dislike Political Correctness - The Atlantic

Most of us have politically incorrect family members whose intentions we trust, and we forgive them their awkwardness, inheritance, and ignorance.

The left could do with a bit more plain, unguarded talk; the problem is not the plain talk that’s missing, it’s the acceptance and understanding that comes with actually listening to the person saying it.

mk  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Google is shutting down Google+ following massive data exposure

LOL

mk  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 3, 2018

Someone that has them just needs to grant them to you. Looks like someone already did.

Nepotist  ·  39 days ago  ·  link  ·

Awesome. Thanks to whoever!

mk  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Banksy painting Girl With Red Balloon 'self-destructs' after £1m sale at Sotheby's

Hirst's work seems pretty shallow, as if that's his provocative shtick, which runs the risk of only being shallow, and not provocative.

Banksy's work has a poetry to it, which makes it much more interesting. However, he does have a shtick, and I think stunts like this one risk going over the line, as there isn't anything actually poetic about it. It's more like a MTV punk'd episode than something thoughtful.

Personally, I'm tired of art that has to score high on the provocative axis to be successful.

tacocat  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

I actually like some early Hirst that was about death and decay. Then he became artist du jour and got lost up his own ass.

Ultimately I feel visual art is irrelevant. It's been replaced by TV and movies. Nowadays any time I want to say something I think in terms of words. I also draw lots of dogs and cats. I like drawing dogs and cats

mk  ·  41 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Banksy painting Girl With Red Balloon 'self-destructs' after £1m sale at Sotheby's

If the owner was an artist, he/she would throw it away.

mk  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 298th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

The Boss

mk  ·  51 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Rosenstein's Departure Is a National Emergency

As you may know, some fire alarm systems can only be activated by breaking glass covering the switch.

Basically, the author is saying that we need to take emergency measures to respond to the situation, that without intervention, very bad things will come to pass. My read is protest.

If Trump replaces Rosenstein with someone willing to kill the Russia investigation, I think that's more than warranted. It would be a constitutional crisis.

mk  ·  51 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 297th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

mk  ·  53 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Rod Rosenstein resigns. Or not. To meet Trump on Thursday

This could be a bad thing.

mk  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Google scrambled to get employees to delete internal memo

Last night I attended a talk by Ray Kurzweil. In the Q&A, he said that they were working on removing human bias from machine learning without a hint of irony.

When all you have's a hammer, the world is made of nails.

Gilder made the point in Life After Google that whenever we say "machine learning" or "AI" we're really talking about Markov chains, which are useful for some tasks and suck balls for others. Nonetheless, everyone in tech right now is basically throwing Markov chains at every fucking thing they see, whether it's applicable or not, because that's where the tools are.

The irony isn't lost on me: an entire industry obsesses over how great AI is, then comes home and chortles over how stupid AI is.

mk  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

On a related tangent, his talk and curve extrapolation got my gears turning. I'm trying to better understand the root of the inherit skepticism I have for AI. It induced me to tweet a rare somewhat related position:

I expect that Kurzweil would argue that nature hit a roadblock with the birth canal, and that if we could just deliver however these folk do then we'd be playing 3D Go.

But I am reticent to count nature out when it comes to creative solutions.

What can a mirror reflect besides the world? We have uncovered plenty that we did not know, but have we ever uncovered anything that we could not?

OHHHHHHH SHIT DID YOU JUST POST AN ANIMATED GIF

Hey everybody! mk just posted an animated gif!

The three books of Robert Charles Wilson's Spin trilogy basically argue that the evolutionarily dominant strategy of gray goo is to capture and tend to intelligence because of its anti-entropic tendencies.

mk  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah yeah ok.

Hubris on Wilson's part IMO. If nature can do octopi without us, it probably doesn't need to make us first to do something as simple as grey goo.

Not his point, really - the argument is if intelligence arises in one place but not in another, the gray goo will show up eventually and as the gray goo is immortal and intelligence is not, that resource will be conserved. As a thought experiment it's novel and reasonably well-argued. The middle book is kind of shit, though.