mk's comments
mk  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 12, 2018

I dropped my Pixel2, and a purple slowly spread across the entire screen like a melanoma. Thankfully I didn't send my iPhone in for the rebate. Trying to get it useful for the next few days.

mk  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 12, 2018

Ha. I don't remember saying that last line, but it's not bad.

Hope they fix that pricing. All wrong.

mk  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A question regarding perception.

I think that's in the same neighborhood.

It's interesting in that previous moves don't confer any advantage in chess, except to the extent that they might influence your opponent's decision-making. That might be one advantage of AI in chess playing. I suspect that chess AI's don't consider previous moves, but just optimize from that point going forward. I am not sure that humans can fully escape the influence of previous moves.

Devac  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·

AFAIK chess engines only keep references of last moves to avoid falling into logical loops leading to "tie by 3 move repetition" and track how long has it been since the last exchange occurred (it's an automatic tie if it was more than 50 IIRC). Other than that, I can't see any need or benefit coming from knowing last moves. At least in AI. Humans can exploit and be exploited by silly mind games, tendencies or reputation.

mk  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How Much Trouble Is Ted Cruz Really In?

Don't get my hopes up. However, I can't help but think that more shoes are going to drop, and Trump is going to become increasingly desperate. I expect that he'll fire Sessions in the next week or so.

francopoli  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd touch myself if the Trump rally on October tanks him. I'd do a happy dance at least. Cruz hates Trump and now is counting on Cheeto to save his ass.

Glorious.

b_b  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

Remember Ted's speech at the convention? He told Republicans to "vote their conscience". I'm sure Trump hasn't forgotten.

mk  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Helen Dale: My Unpopular Opinion: There Are Too Many Mediocre Artists

I agree that the author is angry that she is subjected to mediocre artists, and yes, she might be one. There may be some self-hate going on here. However, I feel that her beef might be with the market that supports mediocre art. In fact, she might even be upset with the market that supports her own. She might feel like a phony.

That is why – in these modern ‘attention economy’ times – publishing houses insist on using identity politics to try to ‘move the merch’. And you read that right – intersectional feminism and mandated racial diversity are marketing and branding strategies, not politics.

I feel that there is truth to this, and unfortunately, although suck-it-up or bootstraps isn't a solution (which the author here might prefer), there is something dishonest going on on the other side too. And yes, Quillette (which ran this piece) just might have the same attention-grabbing goal by playing counterpoint.

For my part, I am left wondering why there is so much shitty art, and suspect it has something to do with our market for opinions.

What market supports mediocre art, exactly? Let's unpack what exactly we're looking at:

There are too many artists, too many people who want to be artists, most of them aren’t very good, and schools should focus on inculcating self-discipline rather than dopey ‘all must have prizes’ creativity.

So I’m at a modern art museum right now and it’s the biggest joke if i ever saw one. pic.twitter.com/qURrATBFuA

— woke space convert (@hanmariams) August 10, 2018

This is a post by "young post neocon catholic medievalist" who (A) goes to Florida State University in Tallahassee (B) lists her URL as "catholicscomehome.com" (C) proceeds to say

since a lot of people are now seeing this, you might be thinking, well what is quality art? BOY LET ME TELL YOU--

So. This is a college student in Florida hating on community art in Tallahassee so she can compare it to Boticelli's Madonna, which a self-publishing Australian figures is the right kind of hue and cry to illustrate how shitty art is now. Eyes on the prize, though - even ten years ago you'd have a really rough time finding out how much catholic college students hate on their local art scene, let alone use it as evidence of some pompous blog post.

Where things go pear-shaped on this one is the dudgeon and moral authority put on by the author over the low bar to art... while using anti-doctrinal outrage at community outreach in a community two oceans away as an example. That's not a "market." "Market" is when you gripe about tax dollars being used to buy a Jeff Koons. Which certainly happens, pretty much every time Jeff Koons sells something. But the fact is, I can say "Jeff Koons" and I'll bet you either (a) immediately get an image in your head or (b) go google "jeff koons" and immediately go oh that guy.

For my part, I am left wondering why there is so much shitty art,

I'ma pull a zipcode out of my ass- 12344. Oops, that's Stockholm. Fine, let's use Maps anyway. ZOom in where it drops me. Drop street view at random. First thing I see - a tile mural. We're in a position where we can type random shit into the internet and within three clicks be looking at art in countries we've never been, that we'd normally have to walk up to in order to even notice. The shittiness has not gone up - the availability has. I consider that to be an unalloyed good.

mk  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 22, 2018

After the Cohen deal, I expect Trump to try to shut down the Russian investigation.

b_b  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

No way. Imagine the blowback from republicans! I'll bet at least half a dozen of them would publicly go on record as saying that the president's actions are unfortunate.

mk  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

Trump is well aware of how spineless both parties are. If he's going to pull this shit, he's going to pull it asap, because he doesn't want the Dems to take the House and Senate. He can shut down the Russian investigation, then control the messaging up to the elections with trade wars or real ones.

ecib  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

We went from having three branches, to having two parties.

WanderingEng  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

If he does, what do we do? I was one person in the 100,000 people marches when Scott Walker busted the teacher unions. It's eight blocks around the Capitol, three traffic lanes and wide sidewalks on each side. The biggest one wasn't so much a march as it was standing still as the crowd was so large it prevented any meaningful movement.

The unions were still busted.

Look at it this way: Russia is "did the Trump campaign talk to the Russians." Yes, obviously. Trump is quite fuzzy on what that means to him, and the country in general is, too. From a foreign influence standpoint it's a big fuckin' deal but from a Trump standpoint it's not like he's Boris and Melania is Natasha. Although that's an awesome image.

The Cohen investigation, however, is "Trump's personal fixer for ten years has flipped to Federal and State investigators." This is a president whose tax returns are... ugly. We don't know how ugly, we don't know why, but we know he's been fronting for Russian oligarchs for a long, long time.

We're more interested in Russia. From Trump's personal standpoint, Cohen provides a lot more personal jeopardy.

mk  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, that's how I see it. Cohen was privy to a lot of Trump sausage-making over the last several years. That's why I expect Trump to do something desperate soon. At that moment, the GOP are going to be put in a serious quandary. Trump's desperation is going to signal that he's trying to hide some serious shit. At that moment they have to fold or raise.

Mueller has Trump in a fork: he can either sacrifice his rook and throw his full weight at dealing with whatever revelations Cohen has about Trump's finances, or he can sacrifice his queen and throw his full weight at the Russia investigation. He can't divide and conquer: it's clear that the Trump administration is already over capacity with bimbo eruptions and the dike now has two big holes in it.

It's starting to look like encirclement. I hope I'm right.

mk  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

I hope so. I'm tired of his negativity.

mk  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Beer-boiled hotdogs

Yeah the existence of Hamm's defies logic. Thing is, we are at an Airbnb on Lake Huron, and someone left the beach house fridge full of them. It was either the Hamm's or $2/bottle double IPAs. I don't think hops would benefit the dogs either.

The dogs were complimented all around.

It's volunteer beer? That makes more sense.

mk  ·  72 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Popups (e.g. shared by) redirecting to a new page

Should all be good now. Sorry about that.

mk  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 285th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

INOJ: Love You Down

Neneh Cherry: Buffalo Stance

mk  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 27, 2018

Headed to Houston, then a couple of days in SF.

My wife and daughter just left to China for three weeks. It'll be some serious FL time, then a break to the North.

I have plans to paint a lot, and I'd like to remove all JS from Hubski.

We went camping recently, and I whittled my daughter a bow and arrow. I love whittling.

mk  ·  99 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

It's your fault for dressing like you do.

b_b  ·  99 days ago  ·  link  ·

I always thought we worked together well because we had a similar ethos but complementary skills. Turns out you just want to fuck me.

mk  ·  99 days ago  ·  link  ·

Everyone does.

mk  ·  99 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

Dude you've got to put the at signs around my name to let me know our IP was licensed.

Congratulations, buddy. I know you put your heart and soul in this. Glad to be a small part.

mk  ·  104 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Give me an adventure!

I wrote this adventure, and it's free. :)

Recently, a small team of Surveyors was lost on an expedition near the Niven's Creek trade outpost. A terrible creature has been plaguing the outpost ever since. Surveyor Guild Journeyman Anton Gauss has requested a team of Surveyors from Sheandril to help him protect the small mountain community.

Of course, not everything is as it seems.

Merlin  ·  104 days ago  ·  link  ·

On the list! This will be a perfect hook for a beginning quest-line, thanks!

mk  ·  113 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Live - Maryland Edition

Old blue! I'm looking forward to pics!

Enjoy!

mk  ·  116 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sesame Street creators sue over The Happytime Murders puppet film

As an aside, didn't Peter Jackson already try this and regret it deeply?

psychoticmilkman  ·  116 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh wow, you're right. Meet the Feebles came out in '89. I never new this existed. But I can't find any evidence of a lawsuit about it.

There has been some concerted effort to erase it from history.

katakowsj  ·  115 days ago  ·  link  ·

Just watched the Feebles trailer. No lawsuit necessary. That it exists is punishment enough.

People forget that before he was Peter "Lord of the Rings" Jackson he was Peter "Bad Taste" Jackson.

francopoli  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·

Looking at the trailer again after a decade, maybe more, he is copying the first Evil Dead movie with a lot of the cuts and close up of the faces with the fisheye centered on the eyeball.

Never noted how similar they are before.