mk's comments
mk  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 331st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

mk  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bugski: The TMI page does not seem to be working

Aw, dammit. Thanks, I’ll fix.

francopoli  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks, man!

mk  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Holy shit guys. Someone is describing our lives

Just know that the more you celebrate them, the more you paint them up, the more you talk about how awesome they are, the more someone is going to accuse you of being a lizard person and the less you can focus on the joy of inquiry.

I agree with this. Also, organization is a transformation followed by calcification. Whenever you create a group to accomplish a goal, you cut out diversity.

applewood  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Whenever you create a group to accomplish a goal, you cut out diversity.

The elimination of diversity can come from the creation of some unified goal or purpose, but not always. The root threat to diversity is the shunning of ideas and/or behaviors that run counter to group think. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad, but either way the creation of a group identity comes with the pressure for individuals to conform unless the embracing of diversity and individuality is part of the core group philosophy. Even then though, there will always be pressures to conform, such is part of being an active member of a group after all.

That said, I wouldn't describe members of Hubski as "intellectuals." Instead, "intensely curious" stikes me as a much more accurate descriptor. It leaves room for intellectualism as a trait, but it also embraces equally important attributes in people such as enthusiasm and joy, openness to discovery, encouragement and support. Don't get me wrong, there are some very, very smart users here on Hubski but I think that on a regular basis everyone on exhibits the capacity to be much more than that.

mk  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 329th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

mk  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Credit card donations don't seem to work

It's borked. Been trying to fix. Halfway there. Hubski now also takes Brave Payments, and I'll be adding official stuff for that soon.

orbat  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

Roger that! I'll take a look at Brave. I actually do have the browser installed, I just don't use it all that much and tend to favor Firefox (I don't like the near-monopoly that Chromium/Webkit have. Fighting windmills, but at least it's my windmill)

KapteinB  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·

There used to be a Firefox extension named BATify that added BAT micropaymtes to Firefox, but it appears to have been discontinued. The GitHub repo is still up though, so maybe someone will continue development of it. I'm not very fond of the idea of abandoning Firefox either. Let's fight that windmill together!

orbat  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
mk  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 2019 White House Correspondents' Dinner - History of Press/President Relations - YouTube

Ooh. I will be in Michigan, but maybe in the Keweenaw at that time. If not, I will do my best.

Maybe that's why I have always been indifferent, even a little hostile, about art (and artists, but not mk)

Thanks. I feel the same about a lot of art, actually. I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe I feel like art has a direction, either pointing out or in. I don't have much interest when art is clearly pointing out.

mk  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Joe Biden Announces Candidacy

Sorry. I didn’t mean to gloss over something you have going on. If that’s the case, I really am sorry.

Politically, I just don’t think the Bern has the best approach. Obama got rid of preexisting conditions. I think it talkes that kind of president to make something like that happen, as messed up as the progress looks.

My uncle did vote for Bernie, then Trump. That’s fucked up, but I also think it says something about their appeal to dissatisfaction, and how easily they make solutions seem. I think we are being taught to expect too much from presidents.

Once again, I’m sorry if the medical issue is personal for you atm. I’m not terribly astute in that sense.

tacocat  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

Please proudly announce that you are totally ignorant of what it's like to included in the cohort that would receive this benefit and fuck off forever

tacocat  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

The ACA got kneecapped by the Supreme Court when they struck down the Medicare expansion. It's basically useless as it stands for poor people like me in conservative states. I'm a leftist but I'm more social democrat than socialist. We're at a crossroads like we were in the thirties where shit was so bad that fascism and socialism rose together. The New Deal was a salve that preserved capitalism and we need another one like it because the alternative is fascism. M4A is a part of that. I'm personally more for a public option.

mk  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Joe Biden Announces Candidacy

This is as bad as its been since the thirties.

For white folk. It has always been pretty shitty and slowly getting better for most everyone else. I don't think Bernie has internalized that. I think that's partially why my uncle that wanted Bernie voted for Trump.

I call Bernie a complainer, because he won't be able to do what he says he will, but he revs people up with simple solutions to huge problems. For that reason, I think he's guilty of pandering too.

Obama got the ACA passed. Far from perfect, but that's why it passed. Trump couldn't undo it with both the House and Senate. Trump also can't get his wall with both. Obama was also a black man in the Oval Office. That was a huge win for our country.

I think we'd all be better off if we didn't let candidates talk like the Presidency was this huge lever. It's both a ceremonial job and a grind.

tacocat  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm making a broad point about economic suffering that cuts across race and you're countering it with "the blacks had it a lot worse back in the day" after ignoring my vulnerability to preventable death so I'm about done with this bullshit

mk  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Joe Biden Announces Candidacy

I know nothing about Beto. Just saying that I’m burned out on hearing about what’s wrong. Shit is so wrong it’s ridiculous. But it’s been worse, so there’s that. Bernie sounds like he’s reading from Revelations.

It’s a public service, and the job is crazy difficult if you’re doing it right. I want more can do humility, and honored for the opportunity stuff.

tacocat  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is as bad as its been since the thirties. Not complaining is a bad thing. I don't even understand why you'd call them complainers. They have specific policies that address huge problems.

Trump got elected by pandering to a dissatisfied population and using racism as the rallying cry for that dissatisfaction. If you nominate another Democrat in the Clinton or Obama mold they're going to lose or do nothing to address the problems that elected Trump and leave the door open for an even worse republican candidate who might be less incompetent

mk  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is as bad as its been since the thirties.

tacocat  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

True, but there’s so much more to the job than identifying problems.

This president is a font of negativity. It gets people revved up.

tacocat  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

OK... I'm not super healthy so there's a non zero chance I have cancer right now but at least I'll have the comforting platitudes of Beto O'Rourke for palliative care

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is as bad as its been since the thirties.

tacocat  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

Too early to tell. I’ll wait for some debates.

I’m tired of complaining. Bern and Warren do too much of that for me.

tacocat  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

If I got a serious disease right now that required any long-term treatment I'd die so it's not like they're complaining about things without merit

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

True, but there’s so much more to the job than identifying problems.

This president is a font of negativity. It gets people revved up.

tacocat  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is as bad as its been since the thirties.

tacocat  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Uber Questions

Has it dropped since?

am_Unition  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yep. It seems like either a minor or short term error in the feed rankings/placement calculation. Not a big deal whatsoever, just interesting.

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Affluent Homeless: A Sleeping Pod, A Hired Desk And A Handful Of Clothes

Affluent. I don't think that word means what you think it means.

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: LOL no.

It's to take advantage of the Google Site Rank algorithm. The more links you have to your site, the higher its search ranking. However, Google looks for people doing crap like this, and then penalizes them. As long as the spam links remain out there, they are penalized. It's poetic justice.

mk  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Brave browser launches ads that reward users for viewing

BTW, the Brave Browser experience is very good, particularly on mobile. Better than Chrome, IMO.

I have also finally migrated to DuckDuckGo as my default search.

OftenBen  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've really enjoyed Brave mobile so far.

Has made my web browsing experience far less clunky. I'm more willing to open things in desktop mode when I know I'm not going to be assaulted by popups.

KapteinB  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

Better than Chrome, IMO.

A huge flaw of Chrome on mobile is that it doesn't support extensions, which means among other things no ad blocking (unless you use some sort of system-wide ad blocking, like hosts file filtering). Brave on mobile probably also doesn't support extensions, but it has built-in ad blocking, so at least that's taken care of.

Personally I ditched both Chrome and Google after the Snowden leaks. Thankfully DDG has improved a lot since then.

WanderingEng  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·

DuckDuckGo is my default search, but Chrome on mobile broke search bar functionality in the last update. It looks at everything I type in the bar as a web address. Chrome also broke the setting to change the default search; trying to change it crashes the browser 100% of the time.

am_Unition  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·

The latest Chrome update also manages to foil attempts by websites to detect when you’re browsing in incognito mode (and deny content accordingly). Sorry, NY Times, I’ll pony up when I’m done with grad school.

mk  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm really enjoying Brave. The sign-in thing was the last straw for me on Chrome.