mk's comments
mk  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Hubski Funding Bar currently sits at $302

Stripe wants our TIN. I don’t know it. Kinda stuck there atm.

francopoli  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Make a post when its ready.

mk  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

Welcome dreamdollarcxt. Yep!

dreamdollarcxt  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks MK

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: mk's senolytic smoothie

How does it improve upon the tablets?

Devac  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

At worst, you'll be working with identifiable via spectroscopy 'something'. At best, it's going to be quercetin. ;)

You can also extract it yourself from plants. Here a nifty paper on the procedure and references to more specific methods.

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: mk's senolytic smoothie

That is an interesting question. If forced, I think I would choose cheese. It has a high density, and doesn't have too much going on.

Eriq La Salle once told the story of the 1lb of cheddar he ate on a bet. He ralphed for two hours, supposedly.

14lbs is a little less than three of these:

_refugee_  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

yeah my thought is that you'd at least be shitting terribly for days

OftenBen  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

The cheese itself wouldn't kill you but after 14 lb has had it's way with my colon I would beg for death.

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: mk's senolytic smoothie

The onions are unfortunate. But it is in the neighborhood of a salad with onions and a raspberry vinaigrette.

I picked up some Quercetin tablets, so I could drop the onion and throw a couple tablets in, but I hate supplements as you never know about the quality control. Dropping the onion and adding apple would make for a pretty tasty drink.

The tough thing is the dose. For the human equivalent of fisetin that was used in this study, you need to eat about 2g of the stuff, which means about 14lbs of strawberries. That's probably a toxic amount of strawberries.

tacocat  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's probably a toxic amount of strawberries.

What could you eat 14 pounds of in one sitting and survive?

Quatrarius  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

rocks rocks rocks rocks rocks rocks rocks rocks

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

14lbs is a little less than three of these:

_refugee_  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

yeah my thought is that you'd at least be shitting terribly for days

OftenBen  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

_refugee_  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

Do you like banana? I would recommend banana over apple.

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

No senolytic flavonoids in banana that I am aware of. Don't mistake this for food. :)

Devac  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

You could try doing a hot methanol extraction from powdered tablets. It will likely crash-out after a night in a freezer.

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

How does it improve upon the tablets?

Devac  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

How... often must one eat 14lbs of strawberries? Because I'll be honest I've never seen a recipe that makes me question the LD50 of a fruit before.

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have a pal that just went for it with fisetin supplements. He reported no observable ill effects, except for itchy skin after eating more than a bottle. He has 30 years on me, and is in senolytics R&D. Don't try this at home.

I'm going to give it more time, and do some experiments (in the lab) myself before replacing a smoothie.

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: mk's senolytic smoothie

No idea. I assume it could only decrease them, so went raw.

rene  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

Found some curious articles. Seems like cooking at moderate temperatures releases compounds from cell material without degrading them.

Key takeaways are:

1) don't heat fats/oils to smoking point (150+C/302+°F) while cooking vegetables

2) if you're making soup, add acid (vinegar, tomato/tomato paste, lemon, yogurt, creme fraiche, etc.) to preserve phenolic compounds (particularly fisetin).

Temperature-dependent studies on the total phenolics, flavonoids, antioxidant activities, and sugar content in six onion varieties

In general, heating had a positive effect on all four flavonoids. For instance, the total flavonoid content in the red onion variety (Q + QMG + QDG + IMG) increased from 9.34 μmol/g DW to 9.70 μmol/g DW on heating at 120°C for 30 minutes and then decreased to 5.40 μmol/g DW at 150°C. In all the studied onion varieties, the total flavonoid content increased up to 120°C, and then decreased at 150°C...

Table 2

The total phenolic content was significantly increased after heating at 80°C, 100°C, and 120°C for 30 minutes each...

Heating at 150°C for 30 minutes decreased the total phenolic content for all of these onion varieties. Different processing steps such as boiling, sauteing, frying, and roasting can be used to liberate phenolic compounds from various plants...

However, simple heating reportedly cannot cleave covalently bound phenolic compounds; however, far-infrared treatment can cleave the bond;

Degradation kinetics of fisetin and quercetin in solutions affected by medium pH, temperature and co-existing proteins

Some results were obtained based on the changes in the k values under different pH values and temperatures. The first is that fisetin was more stable than quercetin, giving smaller k values in all cases. The second is that the degradations of fisetin and quercetin were sensitive to medium pH, especially at alkaline pH values.

Flavonoids in aqueous solutions show instability, resulting in concentration loss (i.e., degradation)....These mentioned studies shared similar conclusion to the present data, supporting that fisetin and quercetin were more stable (but instable) under acidic (and alkaline) conditions.

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 304th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Listened to at dinner with my daughter yesterday.

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: mk's senolytic smoothie

mk  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hey young people. Please, whatever you do, -DON'T VOTE!!!

I'm traveling tomorrow, so I voted early on Friday. There was a line.

mk  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: It's not for sale, Francis.

It's really a Tour de Force.

Sorry, this comment is private.
mk  ·  41 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Romantic Parson who has fallen upon Hard Times

Ooh, that's the best one.

mk  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 302nd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

mk  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski shout-out in Inc. Magazine: Forever Labs Stem Cell Storage article

Wow that Katakowski guy comes on strong.

thenewgreen  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

You have no idea. I spend half my time asking him to simmer it down. Such a salesman.

katakowsj  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

Not far from Forever's offices in Ann Arbor is the Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation. There, visitors can ride in a car that was built more than a century ago and is maintained by the regular replacement of parts. "We're getting to a point where we can do that" to ourselves, says Clausnitzer. "We're at the beginning of something."

Hey thenewgreen, you are talking about the "Henry Ford of the Human Body". mk may acquire an ego that makes Elon Musk look like a wallflower. :)

thenewgreen  ·  39 days ago  ·  link  ·

Before we know it, Mk will be smoking blunts with Joe Rogan.

darlinareyousleepy  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

I expect this face too:

mk  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 301st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread