mk's comments
mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 16, 2019

It was a tumultuous work week. I feel like I am building up a catch-up post, but there’s too much in the air atm. I’m doing a bit of hardware hacking at FL and it’s fun. I think I have something unique and cool to share once patents are filed.

I need to take my family somewhere quiet and warm for a couple of days.

I started a painting for mike, which he commissioned. I charged him 1 ETH.

A good friend got me that easel as an Xmas surprise. Blew my mind.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Have aliens found us? Interview with Avi Loeb, Chair of Harvard Astronomy Department

I haven’t read it yet, so I don’t know if there’s an outcome, but something we cannot dismiss would be the most gentle form of first contact.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Naaah it cruised through and lobbed a singularity kernel at the center of the Earth to bring about our timely destruction. Just ask Greg Bear or David Brin.

And the fact that you haven't read Arthur C Clarke's The Pale King is criminal. You could finish it in two flights.

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 313th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

mk  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 9, 2019

Too much toast. Too little butter!

mk  ·  139 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Stem Cell Benefits May Let You Cheat Death

I suspect most articles are fed by PR, even where the motivation isn't obvious. When you add the political motivations of outlets, there's not much room left for organic reporting.

partyush  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

so what do you think is the solution?

mk  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ethereum Plans to Cut Its Absurd Energy Consumption by 99 Percent

Interesting side note, Ethereum Classic suffered a 51% attack this week.

EDIT: I am going to make tweets auto embed.

Nebu  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's funny that since this happened, Ethereum Classic has actually outperformed Ethereum in price. The crypto markets are still a joke, run not by whales and intelligent algorithms, but by the exceptional stupidity of the common man - the overwhelming majority.

mk  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: WSJ: Computer models to investors: Short Everything

It seems all bullish articles talk about market movements, and all bearish articles talk about the fundamentals of a credit cycle.

mk  ·  77 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bitcoin Price Prediction Winner

Ok, so it will be $65,000 on January 1, 2020.

steve  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

thumbs up (this is me being blindly optimistic)

My guess is this subpoena has to do with records that would reveal money laundering.

cgod  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

I hear so much speculation about everything involving the Muller probe but almost none of it pans out.

Bobby Chesney and Steve Vladeck of the NSL podcast, legal professors on National security issues, one of whom has three cases before the court this session, seem to think that the all the stuff under seal has way more to do with technical arguments involving the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, than the fact that it involves Robert Muller.

This post at Just Security https://www.justsecurity.org/62068/deciphering-mystery-subpoena-case-corporate-claims-foreign-sovereign-immunity-u-s-criminal-proceedings/ talks about it in some depth.

I like Politico but fuck Politico for any kind of legal analysis.

Muller's case doesn't hang on this subpoena. This subpoena is part of a case that is being built. It's probably not a smoking gun, just another part in a long chain if evidence. If it was a smoking gun we wouldn't hear about it for some time to come. It's would be sealed evidence in a grand jury proceeding. Muller could, if he was so inclined, reveal it in some future indictment or it would be placed in the report to the attorney general at the conclusion of the investigation, a report which the public might never see, or have to wait years to see.

This isn't an immenet threat to the Trump administration. It might be part of a serious long term threat. If you think any of this is playing out in the short term for the president than you listen to too much liberal media.

am_Unition  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I get the skepticism, but I think quite a bit of the (admittedly generous) speculation surrounding Mueller will pan out.

Donald Trump himself be damned, imagine if you were going to attempt implicating this president's son in any sort of criminal charges for something like the Trump Tower meeting with Veselnitskaya. The prosecution's case would need to be built into an airtight configuration hinging on a small domino guaranteed to fell a well-built legal castle as soon as things were set in motion. That would take a looooong time. If he were to dare file charges against a Trump family member, Mueller would expect immediate termination, and should thus be expected to engineer contingency plans guaranteeing the eventual public release of his comprehensive report, additional pending and/or sealed indictments, etc., etc.

All that said, it could be that he'll uncover no definitive evidence of conspiracy/collusion with Russia on behalf of Trump Sr. himself, but I think that the obstruction of justice case is all but inevitable. And maybe I'm wrong. I mean, hell, I was just wrong a few hours ago about Trump making some official declaration of an emergency at the border.

I just want the government back open. If I were a foreign adversary, right now looks like a bitchin' time to strike.

goobster  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

IIRC it took two years for the Watergate investigation to levy charges. And they had physical evidence of break-ins, etc.

Muller is being very careful. I expect the ONLY charges levied against Trump and his family will be absolutely air-tight. He can't risk anything being thrown out or dismissed.

When you strike at a king you must kill him.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I suspect it’s his gambit, and that he’ll declare a state of national emergency because it’s his only hope to avoid fallout from this:

cgod  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

The fallout from what?

mk  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

cgod  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

I like Politico but fuck Politico for any kind of legal analysis.

am_Unition  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

goobster  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

When you strike at a king you must kill him.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

mk  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: One day, a mighty oak.

Wet. I dampened the soil. Funny thing, the leave in there is another plant. I just discovered so when re-potting it. However, the real thing is now sprouting.

mk  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy New Year!

Something I can't share publicly. :)

Clariti  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well now we're all curious...

mk  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 19, 2018

Tin-Can is near done. My morning started with slacking with the dev in Slovenia. The best app dev team I know is in Slovenia.

I’m headed to SF tomorrow, then red eye to Miami, then home Friday night. No hotel room needed. :/

I’m really looking forward to Christmas. Grandma died this year, and the family basically decided to cancel extended family Christmas. I went rogue and invited everyone over our house on the 26th. Based on evite, most everyone is coming.

I think we initiated a very big change at Forever Labs today. It should be good. Still trying to grasp it.

I legit happened upon an article today that regards blockchain enthusiast’s interest in life extension on Twitter in which I have some quotes: https://breakermag.com/the-bitcoiners-who-want-to-defeat-death/

mk  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 12, 2018

I spent the night in NYC. I met some plastic surgeons and got to catch up wth two old friends.

Delta bumped me to first class. Go Delta.

I’m working on balance. It’s going ok, but I have everything from canine gonads to trees of heaven to fund-raising to crypto regulations on my mind.

I was able to sneak about 1 hour in the MET yesterday and spent most of it with Monet. Monet was a genius with light, but his brushstroke has the energy of a mall-walker. It grosses me out.

Oh yes, why don’t hotels put ironing boards away during room cleaning?

WanderingEng  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't think I've ever left the ironing board out in a hotel. I always put it away because the rooms feel cramped enough.

mk  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

Try it. It’s weird. They put everything else back in order.

oyster  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·

Honestly I don't think I ever saw an ironing board left out when I was a housekeeper. I probably would have been a little tripped out and worry that the guest wanted it out so I would be inconveniencing them by putting it away. Thankful those days are behind me.

mk  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Merry Christmas