mk's comments
mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Rod Rosenstein resigns. Or not. To meet Trump on Thursday

This could be a bad thing.

mk  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Everything You Know About Obesity is Wrong

We should tax processed high calorie/low nutrition foods, then use that revenue to subsidize the opposite. It's a public health issue. Behavior isn't the cause of the increase in obesity and it isn't the solution.

_refugee_  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yours is one of the shorter comments here, but I find it also one of the most relevatory in that I never thought of/about this before, and now that I do I wholeheartedly agree with it. Thanks for chiming in.

HeroicGomez  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Seattle attempted this to some extent. Even implemented perfectly (which Seattle's law wasn't), it doesn't really work, and ultimately such a move is little more than a topical money grab.

_refugee_  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

The problem with this happening at all in the US:

The main issue I see here is that cheap corn and cheap soy are driving the flood of ultra processed and calorie dense, designed-to-be-delectable food into the US market.

Cheap corn and cheap soy are cheap because they're subsidized by the gov't.

For the gov't to start taxing those products, it would be counterintuitive. For the gov't to stop subsidizing those products, farmers would revolt. Or at least get poorer than they already are (except for the factory farms). The factory farms exist because people realized they could grow mass products including corn and soybeans and snatched up all the land they could to mass produce and mass process monocultures. Like corn and soy.

If you're a small farmer in the farming cycle you're caught in the farming cycle which is pushed in no small part by gov't subsidy. You're broke, forced to buy seed that's expensive and can't be saved, forced to grow certain crops because that's what guarantees at least some money, and once the money finally comes in from sales and the gov't you have to buy a new round of seed again.

It's simply not logical for the gov't, with its left hand, to offer subsidies for crops which are used to fuel terrible food, then turn and with the right hand tax the products of those crops and drive down demand/attempt to limit consumers. Gov't needs us to eat as much corn and soy as possible. Every year US produces huge huge surpluses which is how we figured out how to make so much terrible stuff like HFCS in the first place.

The gov't is effectively already subsidizing terrible food and nutrition available en masse to make gen pop obese. They can't choose to make the population healthier with health taxes when they've already chosen to make the population engorged.

France has had a calorie tax since 2011. Hungary since 2012. Over 9 million Americans live under a calorie tax right now. Not a single nation, city or municipality has repealed a calorie tax and the principle result has been a 15-20% decline in the consumption of sugary beverages.

_refugee_  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Ah! The soda taxes! I forgot about those.

mk  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Google scrambled to get employees to delete internal memo

On a related tangent, his talk and curve extrapolation got my gears turning. I'm trying to better understand the root of the inherit skepticism I have for AI. It induced me to tweet a rare somewhat related position:

I expect that Kurzweil would argue that nature hit a roadblock with the birth canal, and that if we could just deliver however these folk do then we'd be playing 3D Go.

But I am reticent to count nature out when it comes to creative solutions.

What can a mirror reflect besides the world? We have uncovered plenty that we did not know, but have we ever uncovered anything that we could not?

OHHHHHHH SHIT DID YOU JUST POST AN ANIMATED GIF

Hey everybody! mk just posted an animated gif!

The three books of Robert Charles Wilson's Spin trilogy basically argue that the evolutionarily dominant strategy of gray goo is to capture and tend to intelligence because of its anti-entropic tendencies.

mk  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah yeah ok.

Hubris on Wilson's part IMO. If nature can do octopi without us, it probably doesn't need to make us first to do something as simple as grey goo.

Not his point, really - the argument is if intelligence arises in one place but not in another, the gray goo will show up eventually and as the gray goo is immortal and intelligence is not, that resource will be conserved. As a thought experiment it's novel and reasonably well-argued. The middle book is kind of shit, though.

Last night I attended a talk by Ray Kurzweil. In the Q&A, he said that they were working on removing human bias from machine learning without a hint of irony.

When all you have's a hammer, the world is made of nails.

Gilder made the point in Life After Google that whenever we say "machine learning" or "AI" we're really talking about Markov chains, which are useful for some tasks and suck balls for others. Nonetheless, everyone in tech right now is basically throwing Markov chains at every fucking thing they see, whether it's applicable or not, because that's where the tools are.

The irony isn't lost on me: an entire industry obsesses over how great AI is, then comes home and chortles over how stupid AI is.

mk  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

But I am reticent to count nature out when it comes to creative solutions.

OHHHHHHH SHIT DID YOU JUST POST AN ANIMATED GIF

Hey everybody! mk just posted an animated gif!

mk  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah yeah ok.

Sorry, this comment is private.

Yeah yeah ok.

mk  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration

Oh this is too good.

If it is Pence, he might know that Trump is going down soon, and is positioning himself with this Op-Ed.

ghostoffuffle  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

Now that I saw this tweet, I can't unread it as Pence. It kind of reads like future campaign fodder in that light.

thenewgreen  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

He said, “lodestar.” -as read by Butthead.

Very interesting to consider this is Pence’s mea culpa. What does a post Trmp world even look like? Can we walk back?

I can’t imagine being excited for my kid to tell

Me that one day they’d like to be President. Not anymore.

bfv  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

When you tell thenewestgreen that of course they can be President when they grow up, in this country anyone can be President, you will have ample evidence.

Because it's an op-ed in the NYT by someone within. It has a historical gravitas that the other channels have not.

It's also the first time that we've been privy to the rationale of "the resistance. The fact that there has been consideration of the 25th amendment is interesting. Also, it ends on a note that seems hopeful that he won't last 4 years.

So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until — one way or another — it’s over.

It doesn't make me feel much better. Trump is probably losing his shit right now.

ThurberMingus  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

Trump is probably losing his shit right now.

In public he is as cool, calm and collected as ever.

KapteinB  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

The apology letter he's referring to, was it this one? I guess it kinda sorta reads like an apology.

tacocat  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

I made it way too far into that video before remembering I'm trying to avoid that man for my own mental health. At least I remembered why I guess

veen  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

That makes more sense, thanks.

This is history in the making. This letter would make me feel better, but it's existence suggests that the situation must be very very bad.

mk  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 5, 2018

That's a global thing.

mk  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 12, 2018

The Chicago Museum of Fine Art is running a John Singer Sargent exhibit atm. Very much worth it.

flagamuffin  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

been meaning to go to that, saw something similar in houston a few years ago. sargent is pretty underrated. is it mostly portraits, or does it include his later stuff? i can't really get into portraits.

why can't i get into portraits? someone send me a cool portrait, not counting veen's d&d character

demure  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

John Singer Sargent! Wonderful portraitist.

If I have time to buy a slice of deep-dish pizza I will declare victory.

I have been dealing with trade shows for 20 years. I can burn through NAMM, NAB, InfoCOMM, NSCA in a day, and then go back through for another day for cleanup. This monster? I spent 7 hours and barely got through one of five halls.

tacocat  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

It takes like two weeks to bake a deep dish. Godspeed

I made it all the way downstairs for one of the saltiest cobb salads I've ever eaten.

mk  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 29, 2018

I started George Kennan's Campaigning in Cuba last night. It's his firsthand account of the US invasion of Cuba in the Spanish American War, published in 1899. I'd previously read his Tent Life in Siberia, and it's well worth it.

I think I'm done with this one. It's the closest I've come to high fantasy. Frederic Church and George Inness inspired me to get a bit crazier with light. I'm fairly satisfied with the result, and learned a lot; but I did some work this afternoon at the cafe at the DIA, and then stood in front of Church's Cotopaxi and Inness's The Lonely Pine.

Mother fuckers.

I dropped my Pixel2, and a purple slowly spread across the entire screen like a melanoma. Thankfully I didn't send my iPhone in for the rebate. Trying to get it useful for the next few days.

Ha. I don't remember saying that last line, but it's not bad.

Hope they fix that pricing. All wrong.

mk  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Twitter permanently bans Alex Jones and Infowars

Alex Jones sounds like a low-pitch mosquito. That was hard to watch.

I'd ban that fucker from Hubski in a heartbeat.

steve  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

You wouldn’t have to. We’d all just ignore him until he went away.

mk  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·