lessismore's comments

Yup. I am going to trust physical access to my house to a stranger. Right!

I would imagine it will be the African countries. After that, space.

This. Absolutely this. It is not just in manufacturing. China started banning import of waste products as well.

kantos  ·  332 days ago  ·  link  ·

Makes me wonder where the onis falls to when the South Asian subcontinent decides to do the same.

lessismore  ·  331 days ago  ·  link  ·

I would imagine it will be the African countries. After that, space.

Right? The Chinese are incapable of doing good. </s>

OftenBen  ·  332 days ago  ·  link  ·

I ascribe malice to all government actors, not just the Chinese.

Cynical, sure.

Cynical to the point of near-stupidity, probably, and I admit that. I have not yet found a way to temper my disgust into something workable, like voting Democrat.

Racist, nope. Definitely not.

lessismore  ·  371 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hanging with insomniasexx, randomuser and mk in San Francisco --

thenewgreen and mk, if you guys are still in SF, do yourselves a favor and go here for dinner. Thank me afterwards.

mk  ·  371 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ok. Will dine.

lessismore  ·  597 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: One Phone

I am actually in San Francisco right now! Will be here until the end of the month and then I am off again. :)

I go away for a bit and next thing you know, I read that you're starting a noble cause to improve the lives of everyone. I am very excited on your venture and intend to help spread the word in my little circle.

lessismore  ·  597 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: One Phone

I don't always post. When I do, it is to congratulate thenewgreen on what is sure to be a successful venture. Congratulations dear friend!

thenewgreen  ·  597 days ago  ·  link  ·

You're awesome old friend! Thanks for the encouragement. Glad to know you're out there. Miss seeing you 'round these parts. How are you? You ever get to The Bay Area any more?

lessismore  ·  597 days ago  ·  link  ·

lessismore  ·  706 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: In a coffee shop with mk in San Fran.

Farley is great. Check out Connecticut Yankee for lunch/dinner if you're hungry and in the area.

This reminds me a lot of the McRefugees in Hong Kong.

lessismore  ·  925 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Universities Are Becoming Billion-Dollar Hedge Funds With Schools Attached

Fuckin' A. How much did it cost to name a building after him? Zilch. How much did he make them that year? $247 million. I mean, sure. Be outraged. That's your right. But I have no problem with this.

This exactly. What is the difference if he donated $247,000,000 or he made $247,000,000 for the school? The school is better off by $247,000,000 either way. Total non-issue.

lessismore  ·  926 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Universities Are Becoming Billion-Dollar Hedge Funds With Schools Attached

This article is confusing. I don't understand the point of the article. :(

mk  ·  926 days ago  ·  link  ·

The article is all over the place, but I think the general gist is that hedge funds are too expensive, and part of a financial system that universities should be opposed to. It's lacking data to show that hedge funds have less returns than other vehicles, but this did stick out to me:

Consider the problem of conflict of interest on endowment boards of both public and private colleges. One 2011 survey showed that 56 percent of endowments allowed board members to do business with the university. In 2013, Dartmouth came under fire when it was revealed that some trustees—including Stephen F. Mandel Jr., who was both chairman of the board of trustees and head of the hedge fund Lone Pine Capital—also managed investments for the school. The trustees were blasted, in a widely cited open letter, for recycling a portion of their “sky high fees” back to the university as “donations” for which they were often rewarded by having a building named in their honor.

This issue alone should be the topic of the article. If board members are profiting from their position to grant contracts, etc., then this is plain old corruption. Of course, the universities might have the right to allow their board members to profit at the university's expense, but I doubt it's a practice that would survive much scrutiny.

That's not even what it's saying, though. This is the issue, presented in a sentence structured for adults:

Stephen Mandel, founder of a hedge fund with 24 billion dollars under management, got a building named after him because he managed Dartmouth's endowment for free.

Jeff Selingo, editor of the Chronicle for Higher Education, made the point that really, you should be checking the endowment size of colleges while shopping for schools for your kids. Why? The less money they have, the more they're going to be scrabbling for tuition dollars from over-inflated luxury dorms. The less money they have, the more tuition is going to bobble around based on shortfalls in the state budget. The less money they have, the more likely they are to hire and fire untenured professors and rely on sweatshop TAs to teach your kids. The smart schools started banking their investments and working towards autonomy. Dartmouth? Those horrible pricks that named a building after their hedge fund manager? Gave out $81m in scholarships last year. David Swensen, the Golden God that has been managing Yale's endowment since 1985, has allowed Yale to give out $119m.

Or, you know, you could be like U of Montana, with a whopping $176m endowment, that cut the scholarship of a friend of mine (and 300 of her closest friends) on two weeks notice last month. I guess that's better somehow.

lessismore  ·  925 days ago  ·  link  ·

lessismore  ·  926 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Non-American Users of Hubski, post some music or other art from your country

Enjoy some Chinese metal.

edit going back to my idle ways now.

lessismore  ·  1014 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The 1000 day club -Are you in it?

Welps.. I am at 1500+, but it should really be 500 or so if truth be told. I've been pretty much MIA the fast few years.

thenewgreen  ·  1014 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well, less is more.

lessismore  ·  1035 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Did you know...

thenewgreen I am doing well thank you very much for the well wishes. I am not nearly as active on Hubski as I would like to, but I do visit and lurk every now and then.

Looking forward to hearing all about your new venture in the coming weeks and months.

I wish you and your loved ones a happy and safe holiday season.

thenewgreen  ·  1034 days ago  ·  link  ·

Very nice to hear from you! I'm glad you are well. Happy Holidays!

E: FYI, I think of you every time I see or hear about Jeremy Lin.

lessismore  ·  1040 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Good Holiday Gifts for the Young Ones

This looks great. Purchased. :)