lelibertaire's comments
lelibertaire  ·  951 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I, for one, do not welcome our new Neoliberal overlords.

New?

Neoliberalism has been the dominant economic ideology and championed by US presidents for more than 30 years

lelibertaire  ·  1052 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Movie Club - The Man With The Movie Camera

So films streams in a few hours. If people don't see this I might try a different day.

lelibertaire  ·  1054 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Movie Club - The Man With The Movie Camera

Shout-outs are borked. They're working on it. I've just kept doing it cause sometimes they seem to work. Other times, not.

steve  ·  1054 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk - I'm not getting notifications here.

lelibertaire  ·  1054 days ago  ·  link  ·

lelibertaire  ·  1055 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Movie Club - Voting Thread 26 - Silent Films

The Man With A Movie Camera (Dziga Vertov)

City Lights (Charlie Chaplin)

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (F.W. Murnau)

Blah. There's a tie, and I don't know which one to pick because I want to see all three of them. Gonna do the tie breaker but if shout outs don't work, I'll just pick at random.

lelibertaire  ·  1055 days ago  ·  link  ·

The Man With A Movie Camera (Dziga Vertov)

lelibertaire  ·  1055 days ago  ·  link  ·

City Lights (Charlie Chaplin)

lelibertaire  ·  1055 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (F.W. Murnau)

lelibertaire  ·  1057 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: UNLESS THE DEMOCRATS RUN SANDERS, A TRUMP NOMINATION MEANS A TRUMP PRESIDENCY

I just don't buy it.

I'm definitely in Sanders' corner, and I am not a fan of Hillary at all. But this article didn't really allay any fears I have about Sanders' ability to win the general election.

I think the big difference between Sanders and other Democratic candidates is that while the others have been called socialist, Sanders explicitly identifies as one. I disagree with the author. The Cold War mentality is still alive and strong in the United States even if it has weakened relative to that time period. All Trump has to do is keep repeating that Sanders is a socialist, and I think he'd win. Half of Sanders' own party doesn't agree with him economically, conservatives will view him as the devil, and I think independents will be mostly turned off by the socialist rhetoric as well. Plus, I think Sanders will struggle to attract hispanic and black voters, even though I think he really shouldn't.

I wish that wasn't the case, but that's what I believe.

Meanwhile, Trump's candidacy is gaining, but I still think his nomination would be a sign for how weak the Republican party is right now on the national stage than a sign for how strong a candidate he is.

He's doing well in the Republican primary, but I think that's a different beast than the general election. Trump can't be stopped now, but that's because the Republican primaries include the demographics that will find the most appeal from Trump. For one, I think Clinton would do better with the aforementioned hispanic and black voters as well as women in general. And I think Clinton would keep the moderates and independents as well. I also really don't see many Sanders supporters voting third party if Trump has a chance, and I really don't see most voting for Trump.

This all depends on Clinton remaining scandal free, however. And I haven't exactly been paying a ton of attention lately so I might be completely off-base.

Trump has the celebrity of Reagan, but he's not nearly as clean a candidate. I really can't see him winning, and if he does, well, I'll just have to sit back and watch the trainwreck.

blackbootz  ·  1056 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm also afraid of Sanders' electability. While Clinton may be losing ground to him, she's been the one to take the brunt of Republican character assassinations. And not just this election cycle, but for the last 25 years.

Sanders has recently been doing well in national level polling -- a poll has him leading amongst Democratic primary voters nationwide over Clinton -- but that's before taking into account an 8-month long smear campaign by the GOP, assuming he were to win the Democratic nomination. The Republicans have been fighting each other too vehemently to launch any sort of sustained attack on the Dems. But once a candidate is selected, the anti-Bernie attacks will come, and I have nothing but my gut to go by.

Trump is a colossal, very sad joke. There's a reason why the sentiment that "Trump will obviously fall out of the race any minute now" was so pervasive for so long. He's a complete ass. But Bernie is a socialist. And I don't know how receptive this electorate will be to nuanced discussion of socialism.

lelibertaire  ·  1057 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Movie Club - Voting Thread 26 - Silent Films

Well one, Metropolis is the shit.

And two, holy crap that looks and sounds so awesome.

A slice of history, to be sure.

More activity now at least. Got a lot of good recommendations.

Silent films can be hard so it's understandable. We're not used to absolutely no sound.

We could try a rescore...

goobster  ·  1057 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've had two friends who have done a re-score of this movie. Both very different.

One of them we screened by building an ad hoc outdoor cinema in a parking lot in downtown Burien. Big screen, big sound system, everyone bring a chair and your drink of choice in an appropriately anonymous container.

Then a couple of people brought BBQs, and those portable gas fires, and about 30 of us sat around, ate well, and watched our friend live remix the entire soundtrack with a modern electronic vibe.

Seriously cool.

rec.music.industrial used to organize re-scorings of silent films. They'd pick one and everyone would take a part of it.

lelibertaire  ·  1057 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well one, Metropolis is the shit.

And two, holy crap that looks and sounds so awesome.

A slice of history, to be sure.

I love The General! It's hilarious and just so well done. Plus it's pretty short! I think everyone should watch it once whether we pick it here or not.

Welp since we've gotten no votes, I'm going to also nominate:

City Lights - One of the most revered Charlie Chaplin films. Haven't seen this. Have only seen The Kid and The Great Dictator. Always good to watch some Chaplin,

Perhaps we have found the limits of people's exploration.

I'd do a chaplin.

lelibertaire  ·  1057 days ago  ·  link  ·

More activity now at least. Got a lot of good recommendations.

We could try a rescore...

goobster  ·  1057 days ago  ·  link  ·

Seriously cool.

lelibertaire  ·  1057 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well one, Metropolis is the shit.

And two, holy crap that looks and sounds so awesome.

A slice of history, to be sure.

lelibertaire  ·  1058 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Movie Club - Voting Thread 26 - Silent Films

I'm going to nominate:

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans. A two hour silent film that follows a couple's struggle to find their love after a woman seduces the husband into considering abandoning the family. I've actually never watched it so that's me trying to pitch it from the synopsis. I've been meaning to watch this film for a while. It's consistently cited as one of the greatest movies of all time and one of the best of the silent era. Roger Ebert listed it was one of his great movies