kleinbl00's comments
Sorry, this comment is private.
kleinbl00  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Random Quotes of the Week (Sep 18-25 2018)

By the way, that last chart is one of Warren Buffett’s favorite indicators, which probably explains why he’s sitting on a giant pile of cash and not buying anything.
kleinbl00  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: California 2084

Did you write this? Do you have a back-of-the-book blurb? I'm intrigued.

Sorry, this comment is private.
kleinbl00  ·  21 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Random Quotes of the Week (Sep 18-25 2018)

That's the top image hit for "toad Mario" at 11am on September 17 2018.

This is our life now.

tacocat  ·  19 hours ago  ·  link  ·

“He knows he has an unusual penis,” Daniels writes. “It has a huge mushroom head. Like a toadstool…

“I lay there, annoyed that I was getting fucked by a guy with Yeti pubes and a dick like the mushroom character in Mario Kart…

bfv  ·  20 hours ago  ·  link  ·
kleinbl00  ·  22 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Letter of Recommendation: Clock Radios

Last week, I acquired a Tivoli System Three open box for $105. This will be the third Tivoli product I've purchased; we use their radios as client sound systems at the birth center and they sound dope. This particular gadget is fully capable of Alarm Overkill: bluetooth will stay on forever. And it has an alarm. So to see how the alarm worked, I set an alarm, forgot to turn off bluetooth, and then used my phone as backup. So at 4:45 am, my phone woke me up, transmitted its wakeup chimes to the clock radio, and then the clock radio started its own beeping. It would have happily done FM or AM as well but as it was the cacophony was something nobody could sleep through.

Which is good because in college I used a clock radio set to the radio station I supported... which was also run out of a high school, whose transmitter would occasionally... crap out. So having mixed Corrosion of Conformity until 4am, when my clock radio dutifully turned on at 6:30am and broadcast a gentle Brownian hum I slept clear through it until 8:30. My fluid mechanics final was from 7 until 9.

So my then-girlfriend blitzed me to college, dropped me off in front of the building and I rushed in at 8:50. My TA took pity on me and gave me an extra 5 minutes, thereby allowing me to take the 2-hour 300-level fluid mechanics final in 15 minutes. I got an 89, thereby cementing my legend amongst the mechanical engineering students for many quarters (probably a better score than I would have gotten if I had 2 hours; I do well under pressure). But that snafu, on top of another crisis three years previous whereby I slept through the alarm set to get a visiting Womanbeast on a plane home in order to secure my freedom and thereby requiring a $700 ticket to get the she-thing out of my house, have made it so that I now awake approximately 15 minutes before any alarm I set.

No, there is no point to these stories other than to share my fraught but affectionate relationship with clock radios.

kleinbl00  ·  22 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Meet Yusaku Maezawa, SpaceX’s First Moon Voyage Customer

Gilded age of fuckin' everything.

Someone asked me why I was becoming a watchmaker. I said "I've been studying the economic data for three years, probably sixty books in and who knows how many articles and newsletters. I decided that if you have to live in a gilded age, it's best to be a goldsmith."

orbat  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Oh yeah, my point was more that it's obvious in space exploration as well

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Tribal America

Sounds like you need to join Rotary or something. ;-)

kantos  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Moderate-to-heavily involved with junior Rotary in HS. Most of the Rotary members I interfaced with were stand up people active in the local community and further out of different backgrounds. Lots o' people on boards of schools, hospitals, etc. working in their own way to advocate for those who need it (at risk students is one example, hell the org's mission is to eradicate Polio).

Volunteer options were sick, too, like staffing the minor booths at the Arnold Palmer Invitational.

Anywho. Can confirm, it's a nice option.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How to Buy a House the Wall Street Way

Comes down to corporate incentives, doesn't it?

A corporation's only incentive is money. Short term, long term, whatever. You form a corporation in order to enjoy its profit structure. You then proceed to externalize everything not related to profit on anyone and everyone available. Saint Milton himself said it this way: Corporations have to do everything to maximize profit within "the rules" and if those rules don't protect people from corporations, it's proof that people didn't really want to be protected.

A community, on the other hand, has many incentives: Community well-being. Traffic management. A clean environment. Low crime. A stable population. Community ties. All sorts of things that cut into the profit margins of large corporations.

So really, socialism.

Sorry, this comment is private.
kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump orders DOJ to declassify Russia investigation documents

Conservative media has an Achilles heel: its ad buys aren't worth squat. In the bidness we call it 'in the demo' - viewership is rated as X.X/Y.Y where X.X is "percentage of total homes tuned to your shitty show" and Y.Y is "percentage of total homes containing someone between the ages of 18 and 49 tuned to your shitty show."

Note that in TV news, nobody wants to talk about that "in the demo" number. Here's Deadline talking about how Fox News in general is holy-shit dominant and Laura Ingraham in particular is ZOMG hot shit amazing.

But you'll note that they're talking about "the news demo" for all this, which is f'n 25-54. Here's some actual numbers chosen at random: ZOMG Laura Ingraham is pulling a 0.4 in the demo. ZOMG Hannity is pulling a 0.4 in the demo. Fuckin' Hannity, Rachel Maddow, Fucker Carlson, Sam Bee, Laura Ingraham are all pulling in less than half a percentage point of all the TVs in which someone younger than 50 sits, which happens to be the same number for "My 600lb life."

Kids don't watch TV. Young adults don't watch TV. Frickn' GenX has effectively cut the cord. And trust me: as soon as it's no longer worth the money for brands to advertise on Fucker Carlson, they'll stop.

Hilarious, right? John Oliver's Catheter Cowboy, running on Fox News. What they didn't really dwell on is that the prevalence of ads on Fox News are for shit like mail-order catheters. And until someone figures out something funnier to do with those than anything you can do with Tide Pods, the advertising you can see on any shitty news show tells you (a) how very fucking little it's worth (b) how very fucking close to death its consumers are.

I really feel this is a self-limiting problem. Self-limiting fast enough? Probably not. But faster than most people think.

tacocat  ·  16 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I was stuck in a hotel in like April without WiFi so I watched more tv in that one day than I had in quite a while. It was awful. I watched a lot of msnbc and cnn and the commercials were exactly what you describe. Plus mail order bullshit products and lawyers

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dear Hubski, how have the past 2 years been for you people?

I moved my family a thousand miles, I opened a half-million dollar medical facility, I gave up on writing, and I started studying to be a watchmaker.

And then those goddamn NYT-bestselling authors dragged me back into being an author again, goddamnit. You can ignore one telling you that you should write. When there's two of them you're a jackass for not listening.

thenewgreen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Good. Don’t be a jackass.

swedishbadgergirl  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

One of the nicer things about not being depressed anymore is that I like writing again.