kitsy's comments
kitsy  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Annoyed by Restaurant Playlists, a Master Musician Made His Own

My feelings aren't hurt, I'm just amazed how much of a dick you are when it comes to 'food for thought' articles.

In case you missed it, the article - and your sentiments - run directly contrary to that which I did for a living for 90 hours a week for 2 years. The "trade most people don't think about" was mine.

Considering this whole discussion has been about how me and my former colleagues have no fucking idea what we're doing, I'd say I've been rather polite.

Why are you always like this? Sorry for sharing an article that I thought was interesting in an attempt to generate content on Hubski.

An opinion or thought = an utterly baseless and prejudicial sentiment. Jesus Christ, man.

Because I've had to field calls that start with "if you ever play Dixie Chicks in our stores again we'll tear out all the gear and ship it back freight collect."

The article is baseless. Interesting? Surely. But if I know something is deeply and completely wrong, am I supposed to shut up so I don't hurt your feelings?

kitsy  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·

Former White House adviser, Steve Bannon, questioned the true influence of “the Koch network management,” seizing on the lack of accountability in the organisations’ spending in recent years given that most of the details are not publicly available.

Steve Bannon calling out the Koch brothers for using dark money is really rich. Thanks for the chuckle, Steve!

Ryuchi Sakamoto hating the music at the place he sips miso soup is the inspiration and example for the author's argument: too many establishments treat music as an afterthought, and it's interesting to put some thought into it so that it complements the business. I agree, I can name a local coffee chain and a laundry near me at that use Pandora - complete with inserted advertisements - & it could be better.

I have family that worked at A&F who brought home their music DVDs. Sure, there would be a couple indie surprises tossed in the playlists, but overall I associate their music with the lowest common denominator demographic. Starbucks was playing Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz when I recently walked in. These companies play "brand-establishing music, or the kind that makes you want to spend money". I don't think Mr. Sakamoto's goal is the same, he is choosing brand complementing music.

This is an utterly baseless and prejudicial sentiment. "I don't like the music therefore the owner didn't think about it." The restaurant owners I know sweat blood over the music - ask cgod. Meanwhile the large organizations you describe - A&F and Starbuck's - have entire teams of people focused on the music and whoever ultimately picks the playlist has to make them happy as well as serving the brand; we had a tie-in with AFI wherein we got their album a week before it dropped which meant we had to revise every Hot Topic playlist to use and compliment AFI while also preserving whatever else Hot Topic had going on. Then, of course, we had to explain how our system was "hacked" when the AFI album showed up on torrent sites; we had to deploy forensic investigators to point out that the audio files available had minute amounts of analog distortion because someone had unplugged our encrypted player from the amplifier and run the signal into their iPhone.

Much like your Lil Jon issue. it doesn't take much to unplug the music and plug in your own.

I think Mr. Sakamoto's goal is to listen to music he likes while sipping miso. And I think it's an insult to trades most people don't think about when they presume "oh, I hate the music therefore the guy who picked it is an idiot."

kitsy  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·

kitsy  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·

user-inactivated  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·

There's a coffee shop around here that I used to visit frequently and stopped going to altogether. Nothing about the place has changed, except for the fact that they have insisted on playing really weird, really experimental jazz. We're talking about syncopated beats, hard to follow melodies, almost zero structure, all that kind of stuff. Coffee is supposed to be relaxing, that music counter acts it.

kitsy  ·  368 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My Immortal: Rose Christo comes forward as the notorious fic’s author

Agreed on the unlikelihood of the story.

I head about this unmasking and I'm very skeptical that the whole thing was some grand plan to find a long lost sibling. I find it more likely that a 26yo fanfic writer retcon'd her 15 yo self's have hopes & dreams for a good story for a memoir.

It's a weird story altogether.

kitsy  ·  377 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Brain Tumor that Diagnosed Itself

I'm hitting a paywall.

Here's another source/recap

I love this part:

One group, which he termed “the X-philes” in his paper, suggested that the case was an example of telepathic communication from well-meaning people who had psychically learned of the tumour and sent warning. The second group,“the X-phobes” suggested that A.B. had already been aware of her tumour before coming to the U.K. and had invented the story of hearing voices as part of a scheme to get free medical care under the National Health Service. Since she had already been living in the U.K. for fifteen years before hearing the voices, the facts do not appear to bear this out.

OftenBen  ·  377 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm hitting a paywall.

Sorry about that, I have institutional access and forget that others don't.

kitsy  ·  386 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 242nd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Private press, almost unknown heavy stoner psych.

No record label, but catalog number 666.

Strong comparisons to Jim Morrison, the lizard king.

Recorded in 1971? But maybe 1980?

One of the Top 10 private press LPs most likely to be owned by a serial killer.

kitsy  ·  397 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 240th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Great thread series!

Been getting back into Crimpshire. A must listen if you like East Bay punk (Green Day, Rancid/Op Ivy). Their catalogue was recently reissued on Numero Group.

Recently picked up Banco De Gaia's "The 9th of Nine Hearts." Great style.

Jlin's new black Oragmi album is pretty dope too.

Edited to add:

Also, check out DJ Perly, the 1st woman to win the DMC US national champions, considered the preeminent battle in the world of turntablism!

kitsy  ·  397 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

Hi! Another just joined.

Hoping to find a better discussion than Reddit.

I like talking about music, books, & other media.

I look forward to bringing activity to #Chicago when I can post!

kantos  ·  392 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hello and welcome kitsy. Glad you found us.