keifermiller's comments
keifermiller  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 7, 2018

Post election night confession: I've started using bing. Google's search quality has degraded to the point where I don't really notice a difference between the two.

Anyways. Greetings from flyover country.

The Dems should have gotten KS-2 too. My county tried to drag Davis across the line, but we couldn't quite de-snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Not exactly a surprise. He ran for Governor in 2014. And lost to Brownback. Brownback.

H e

l o s t

t o

B r O w n B a C k

That was a state wide race. KS-2 robs him of several bases of support that kinda sorta made him competitive. Doubling down on that was a choice. It isn't even pure gerrymandering. In all the counties I checked he under-delivered what Lara Kelly got by 2-5%.

In the long run, though? They're gonna need to do another round of gerrymandering to keep KS-2 and KS-3 from becoming blue. KS-3 is back in democratic hands, and they did it without the eastern portion of Douglas county that Moore had when he got elected in 1998. And now all of Douglas is in KS-2. We had 59% turnout. Almost as many people voted as in 2012. Davis carried us by 71.5% (again, less than Kelly). We're up to a population of 120,000. Doesn't sound like much, but this is Kansas.

'member back when Microsoft was the evil empire and Google was the scrappy underdog?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

keifermiller  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Democracy Participation Th{ubski}read

New voting machines: the same as the old voting machines.

Paper ballots rule.

keifermiller  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Transportation

moslydeaf  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

Maybe a little too much foreground but the composotion looks good!

ThurberMingus  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey, but the sidewalk is for transportation too

moslydeaf  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

Haha, true.

I tend to use David Revoy's brushes more than the defaults. I think the defaults recently got reworked, tho?

keifermiller  ·  41 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 10, 2018

Work/ Union

This week has been... interesting...

Friday: Find out new hires' weekly attendance bonus is up to $200/week. Gross pay for a 20 hour week is now $20/hr. Full time union members finally start to take notice of the issue, as this is more than a new driver makes. This isn't super relevant to the drama that unfolds next, but I'm salty about it since the bonus is selectively applied and is exploitative as fuck if you get sick or injured.

Friday Night: Rank and file vote down our national contract and various regional supplemental agreements. The union's lead negotiator is grumpy AF on the teleconference while announcing the results. They pushed the yes vote hard. Company puts out a statement accepting results. This is the positive energy high water mark.

Late Friday Night: International Union ratifies national contract citing language in our constitution. They'd telegraphed that this would happen, but it still takes most people by surprise. Also: with the contract ratified, the new pay rate for new hires combined with bonuses is now $23/hr in 20 hours.

Saturday: All hell breaks loose on social media. What limited news coverage there is notes how this will strain labor relations at the company going into the holiday season. Dissenting local leaderships start publishing open letters demanding the union walk back its position. Company puts out statement that they now consider master contract settled, with regional supplemental agreements outstanding. Can you guess what happens tomorrow?

Sunday: Yup. International indicates that they will apply the same language to ratify a large chunk of regional supplements. This language was not applied last contract negotiation. In 2013, rejected supplements were renegotiated and re balloted. This is one of the sore points that get brought up when...

Monday: 7 out of 10 of the International Union Vice Presidents write letters in opposition. The gist is that they want an emergency meeting of the General Executive Board, where they will attempt strike the language being used to impose ratification from the constitution.

Tuesday: My local, which is aligned with the International and had a seat on the national negotiating committee, realizes they have a problem and publishes a letter stating that "our members" believe that there are issues with the contract that need to be addressed prior to implementation. The list of requested changes, surprisingly, doesn't suck.

Looking forward: NLRB complaints. Probably Lawsuits. Probably no actual change on the contract. I doubt the executive board is allowed to meet. Rank and file will remain pissed off. The offending language will be struck from the constitution at our next convention. Recall language might get added. The dissident Teamsters United slate is going to have a cake walk into office in the next elections.

I'm actually pretty proud of the rank and file. Our leadership sucks, but our turnout went up by a third. We handily rejected the contract despite the union and the company both pushing a yes vote. And we haven't meekly rolled over and accepted the outcome.

Bikes

Haven't ridden much since I crashed last year. My Raleigh is too heavy to want to lug up and down stairs, and my Surly I've been actively avoiding as that is what I was riding when I crashed. I've changed the setup on it a lot since then, but I still shy away from riding it. It'll probably set there until I pull the parts off of it and get a new frame-set. The frame is fine, I just don't want to ride it anymore.

keifermiller  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 3, 2018

and there we go

And as we saw in the 2016 U.S. Presidential election, winning the popular vote does not necessarily win the election when the Constitution requires you to win the Electoral College vote. As Teamsters, we too must abide by the rules in our Constitution. Thus, the National Master UPS Agreement has been ratified.

Relevant language:

2) If less than half of the eligible members cast valid ballots, then a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer and to authorize a strike. The failure of such membership to reject the final offer and to authorize a strike as herein provided shall require the negotiating committee to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it.

The best part is that the company was caught off guard by this. Had to walk back their initial statement about the contract failing.

Hahahahah holy shit we voted down this shit contract proposal.

Now we wait for them to ratify it anyways.

keifermiller  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

and there we go

Relevant language:

keifermiller  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: $15/hr at Amazon

From the perspective of someone doing a similar job as the ones we are talking about here( that got the wage increase):

We've got attendance bonuses at my gig. We've* got them because the wages were so low, nobody was showing up to staff the building. I'd be thrilled if they went away in favor of higher wages. Warehousing is dangerous. With attendance bonuses, if you get hurt on the job, and have to miss a day then you're not simply out that day's wages. You're out a day's wages plus $125 for the week. The end effect is as if your pay rate for the days already worked were retroactively reduced. That's quite the incentive not to report injuries or to work through an illness.

We don't have production bonuses at my shop, and I'm not sorry about it. "Productivity bonuses" sound nice, until you realize that we're talking manual labor with little chances for optimization through creativity. It is effectively paying piece work. If you're the sort of person dependent on maximizing their pay this way, I wouldn't look to favorably on your odds to hack it long enough to qualify for that restricted stock unit program. Joints break down. Injuries add up.

_____________________________

* When I say "we", I mean newer employees. Turns out selectively offering attendance bonuses is easier to slip in to a workforce than selectively offering higher base pay. It is also turning out to be harder to get paychecks corrected if the bonus is missing on it that week.

moslydeaf  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sounds like higher hourly is definitely better then.

keifermiller  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: $15/hr at Amazon

Oh dear I'm that person

keifermiller  ·  51 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Haiku is still not quite dead

I don't think a desktop OS without graphics hardware vendor support is ever going to find its niche now

The groundwork is kinda there. Haiku's strategy for troublesome drivers has been to lift them from FreeBSD. IDK if it works at the moment, since last I checked FreeBSD 11 doesn't support my cheapo integrated AMD chip.

My worry is more the resource dump that is modern web browsers.

Thanks to the generous support of donors, Haiku, Inc. was able to employ a developer to work full-time on enhancing WebKit port and areas of the system relevant to it (which turned out to be nearly everything) for over a year.

That year was 2014.

keifermiller  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What’s your closeted bougie preference?

oh hey, I'm in the market for a hoodie.

keifermiller  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 297th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

onlythelonly  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·

That happy man song is dope, thanks

Foveaux  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·

Love me some Jungle. So many "Put on in the background" tunes.

keifermiller  ·  61 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 19, 2018

Fucking word.

I got a Facebook to try and keep up to date on my Boomer family members, but unfollowed them all because old people Facebook is crazy bad.

tacocat  ·  61 days ago  ·  link  ·

I keep mine for about the same reason. I really only see posts from things I've liked like the ACLU or The Onion and some anti AA groups I've joined.

I was trying to troll some conservative groups with misattributed Nazi quotes but Facebook started to show me posts from those groups after an algorithm tweak I guess so that got old. Slap the name Ronnie Reagan on a Himmler quote and you can get a lot of fake internet points

keifermiller  ·  62 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 19, 2018

Hubski is more or less the extent of my social network use right now. And I'm barely on here.

- Since I last popped in, I made some kimchi. Turns out it is really easy to do. My only complaint is there was too much daikon in this batch. At least for my tastes. I'm also fermenting some habaneros right now, which will be turned into sauce here in a couple of days.

- I've started* playing Gemstone IV, which is a MUD. My wife has played for years, and I've picked it up since it kinda scratches that dnd itch. My character is Krogdur, an aged giant-man ranger who came to the city after a life in the woods to commit some eco-terrorism. But then he found the pie shop. Now he mostly just procrastinates while eating pie in the city park.

* Am on haitus until I manage to get a good setup that works with linux. I hate rebooting into windows, but the game's 3rd party tools are built around ruby 2.0, which went EOL 2 years ago.

- I'm going to a wedding this weekend. Had to buy some clothes. Definitely had some sticker shock. Not just for the dress stuff either. I was gonna pick up a sweatshirt since my old one is dead, but fuck. For the prices they wanted at Kohls? It's probably Carhartt and Patagonia from here on out.

- I'm pretty convinced by this point that we're voting down this contract proposal for work. Both the union and the company are pushing approval hard. If it doesn't pass, it'll probably on some technical maneuvering. I think there are some bylaws that they can use if the vote turnout is too low. Turn out is always low.

tacocat  ·  61 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was just on Facebook and I thought, "I like the ACLU more than most people I know." I don't have a huge friend group and a lot of them are unfollowed. Or stupid

keifermiller  ·  61 days ago  ·  link  ·

Fucking word.

tacocat  ·  61 days ago  ·  link  ·

francopoli  ·  61 days ago  ·  link  ·

Facebook is that uncomfortable Thanksgiving dinner with your idiot uncle who believes in UFO's, vaccines cause cancer, and wants you to buy into his Multi-Level pyramid scam. Only instead of one day a year it is every day.

tacocat  ·  61 days ago  ·  link  ·

Multi-Level pyramid scam.

The other day a guy I know was promoting all natural gluten-free toothpaste. I thought it was exceptionally stupid

francopoli  ·  61 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's probably Carhartt and Patagonia from here on out.

And will outlast everything in the Kohl's but at least a decade.