Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
katakowsj's comments
katakowsj  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Rwanda's Mara X, Z are the first smartphones made fully in Africa

Cool post. Not something I'd typically expect to come across. Thanks. It's nice to see Rwanda being noticed for something positive.

That, and any extra potential competition will push established phone makers to keep their quality up.

katakowsj  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ginger Baker, Cream Drummer And Force Of Nature, Dies At 80

I hadn't listened to Cream in a while, but heard about his passing and pulled up the "Strange Brew" album from the depths of my minivan hard drive. I always loved his drumming, but I heard it with a whole new level of appreciation on my morning drive.

katakowsj  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Former President Jimmy Carter Celebrates His Record-Breaking 95th Birthday

Awesome guy.

I’d say his fits the definition of a life well lived.

katakowsj  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: US manufacturing survey shows worst reading in a decade

Agreed.

What's most surprising to me is how the general solution for "The other kids in the neighborhood aren't playing fair, so I'm taking the bat and ball and bases home with me, 'cause that'll make them wanna play with me more" mentality continues to this day.

What, I wonder, allows for our leadership to continually apply such a small-minded solution to such a complex situation?

Essentially we're pitching a fit and jacking up the game for all involved. That, and those that have the fewest resources to weather a recession will feel the turbulence the most.

Sucks.

Eyes on the prize: tariffs aren't a "general solution", they're what Mr. Alligator Moat wanted. The Econ 101 read on tariffs is "universally bad idea". Much like concentration camps for immigrants and an ineffectual wall for border security.

I mean, ignorance. When you don't understand why the complex solution isn't working, and you aren't smart enough to be educated as to why the simple solution won't work either, you stumble into the simple solution. And hey - North Korea's manufacturing is robust. They have a captive market. The Duterte approach to the drug war works when viewed through a properly narrow perspective. The externalities and legitimate crimes against humanity are only an issue if you care about humanity.

Essentially we're pitching a fit and jacking up the game for all involved.

This recession isn't a truly American one, though. Germany is leading the curve, probably due in no small part to Dieselgate but also due to the fact that the Chinese aren't buying as many cars. Large swaths of Europe are sensitive, as johan pointed out:

The global economy is so interconnected these days that you can almost predict what the Dow will look like based on watching the DAX the night before. The thing about tariffs is they generally punish the receiver.

Perpetually true.

am_Unition  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Trump agriculture chief: No guarantee small farms can survive:

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said Tuesday in Wisconsin that he’s unsure if small family dairy farms can survive as larger institutions continue to boom.

Doesn't sound good. Maybe he can explain why they're giving the finger to (presumably) some of Trump's own base?

Perdue defended the White House’s strategy, calling the Chinese “cheaters.”

“They toyed us into being more dependent on their markets than them on us. That’s what the problem has been,” he said. “They can’t expect to come into our country freely and fairly without opening up their markets.”

"Yeah! The Chinese baited us into the tariffs!!!!" ... Yikes, Trump admin, just listen to yourselves :(.

My wife's cousin's dairy farm went under in 2018.

“It’s very difficult on an economy of scale with the capital needs and all the environmental regulations and everything else today to survive milking 40, 50, or 60 or even 100 cows,” he said.

She had 110 head on 160 leased acres. They were $11m in debt. They employed everyone in the family and two or three others.

All the cattle went to the butcher. They turned the hearts into bratwurst. It was disgusting.

I agree on the optimism. I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic. You reminded me of a quote I saw on a colleague's wall this morning.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

Margaret Mead

katakowsj  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Post your first bike.
katakowsj  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What was the best financial advice that you have ever heard?

I remember my Dad saying:

"Live within your means. Not hand to mouth. Too stressful. Gives the control to others"

That, and I remember how cool it was when he mused on about what he'd do if he won a million bucks. "Well guys (to my brother and I), you realize that if you can just earn 5% a year investing that million bucks, that'll be $50,000 a year you'll have for yourselves." I realized much later, that's what retirement should feel like. I've got my pile of F.U. money. Now I do what I do because I like it.

katakowsj  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: First I lift. Now I teach the lift.

Teaching is what it’s all about in my book. Great for you.

Foveaux  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm really finding that to be the case. I have a blast learning about it all and applying it, but being able to watch someone, tweak things and watch them go about it is a whole 'nother level.

katakowsj  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 40 somethings, what advice do you have for those of us 30 somethings?

Good for you man.

I’m stretching as I type on the floor. Running is great too. I’m 45 and feeling good because I run. I teach 8th grade math and got In my fastest 5k of the season this morning before my first day with students back.

I didn’t take the time to stretch this morning though and wish I’d had. I expect I would have recovered faster.

Thanks for mentioning the importance of stretching.

katakowsj  ·  102 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How an American "Ninja" Tricked Hollywood

I hadn’t watched the whole video until a moment ago. It’s pretty hilarious to see the limits that these BS artists can push, yet so many of us buy into it. At thirteen or fourteen, I remember seeing Jean Claude Van Damme as a badass.

johnnyFive  ·  102 days ago  ·  link  ·

JCVD was pretty serious back in the day, at least in the competition circuit.

Bruce Lee is an interesting case. He actually started training Ving Tsun (the art that I train) when he lived in Hong Kong, and developed his own art later. But there's still plenty of VT in what he did.

cgod  ·  101 days ago  ·  link  ·

I loved the video, Bloodsport was a favorite film of mine when I was a kid.

When I was a kid in the mid 80's to early 90's I trained for about ten years under Kerry Roop who was a two time US kickboxing champion. He fought or sparred with Van Damme and said that he was a really good fghter.

I never thought to look up any of Roops fights until this thread brought him to mind and I thank you for the inspiration. I saw him win a belt late in his career but I never saw any of his early fights. People may not have much respect for kickboxing in the MMA era but back then it was the big time. Here's a pretty good fight where Roop gets whipped but puts up a good fight.

He is a great guy who taught us kids many lessons having little to do with standard martial arts. He always tried to instil a sense of mental and physical discipline and cultivate a love of learning. He taught us all how to fight dirty and then taught us that getting into a fight should be the absolute last resort.

If you've never seen the Jean Claude film JVCD you should. It's without a doubt his best film. It isn't a martial arts film. I've seen several people cry while watching it. It's strange that it wasn't brought up in the video. It gets a a solid 84% on the tomato meter from rotten tomatoes which is way better than the 0% earned by many of his films.

johnnyFive  ·  101 days ago  ·  link  ·

Agreed on JCVD, it was really surprising how good that movie is.

I find the best fighters are usually the ones who don't relish it, and it's why I'm skeptical of competition (one of the reasons, that is). Still, it seems like you found a good teacher back then, which is great. It's especially fortunate since you were a kid; my experience is that too many schools teaching martial arts to kids don't teach them squat, and are glorified after-school programs. That's all fine if they're honest about it, but they're often not.

I knew a kid growing up who was a couple years older than me, but was smaller (I was always tall for my age). He'd won some tae kwon do tournaments and what-not. Unfortunately he never got that sense of discipline, and was really quick to put his hands up. I never actually fought him, but I can remember the odd little scuffle and he could not handle himself. Of course we were kids, but the point was that it made him overconfident.

There was a sign my sigung (teacher's teacher) had painted on one of his old schools, which I've seen in pictures:

First your teacher will show you how to fight, then he will show you how not to fight.

One of many reasons I'm glad I found the people that I have.

Of course, the problem of charlatanry in martial arts remains an issue (and I don't accept the sadly-common belief that UFC is the ultimate arbiter of this), but that's always been the case and always will be.

I agree that there will always be some charlatanry in martial arts. It seems like it’s an inseparable part of combat itself. The dude that conquers foes through fear, even if via deception, has expended zero extra resources.

I was a huge Bruce Lee fan in grade school. I didn’t have any sense of which part of his art was for show or for whooping ass, but man did I walk taller after seeing Bruce lay the smack down a platoon of henchmen. Real, or just facade, there’s always going to be folks that flock to perceived badasses.

As I type this, I think I’m getting at the core of the popularity of Donald Trump.

katakowsj  ·  102 days ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  102 days ago  ·  link  ·

JCVD was pretty serious back in the day, at least in the competition circuit.

cgod  ·  101 days ago  ·  link  ·

I loved the video, Bloodsport was a favorite film of mine when I was a kid.

johnnyFive  ·  101 days ago  ·  link  ·

Agreed on JCVD, it was really surprising how good that movie is.

One of many reasons I'm glad I found the people that I have.

katakowsj  ·  104 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Electroactive bacteria run current through “wires”

Electroactive microbes are so abundant, in fact, that researchers now suspect that they have a profound impact on the planet. The bioelectric currents may convert minerals from one form to another, for instance, fostering the growth of a diversity of other species. Some researchers have speculated that electroactive microbes may help regulate the chemistry of both the oceans and the atmosphere.

“To me, it’s a strong reminder of how ready we are to ignore things we cannot imagine,” Dr. Nielsen said.

Cool reminder of what we don’t know about the world around us. Sometimes I wonder if having a vast majority of the world’s knowledge accessible at our fingertips encourages a bias to believe that there is likely far more about the world that we don’t know our understand yet.

katakowsj  ·  107 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Tom Waits advice

What’s the most challenging part about being a father?

Your kids don’t really listen to a word you say, but they pay a great deal of attention to how you are living your life. And if there’s a discrepancy between what you’re telling them and how you’re living your own life, you lose your audience.

Powerful stuff. I’d say that it applies to any type of leadership position a person assumes. The definition for “be real”.

katakowsj  ·  107 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Floating Antarctic ice goes from record high to record lows in three years

No joke here man. As I was reading your post, Diane asked me if we should take the kids to Miami this winter. She thought it could be important to show them a major city that will likely vanish due to global warming.

mk  ·  107 days ago  ·  link  ·

Last year as we walked through Miami Beach, I told our daughter how she could one day tell her kids that she walked there before it was lost to the sea.

katakowsj  ·  107 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Smartphones and dematerialization

Good point.

To me, I see you describing the importance of free markets. Had the United States legislated a reduced use in electricity in it’s citizenry instead things would likely have turned out very different.