a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
kantos's comments
kantos  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 12, 2020

Found it anyways:

Sarah Kay is my hero.

kantos  ·  10 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sparknotes for Shakira’s performance on the Day of the Superb Owl

Sorry to hear it closed. :C It sounded like a hidden gem of Jaffa. Psytrance festival is on my list of things to do now.

Trumps plan would simply bend the current border to include Tira in the west Bank territories... Feels very surreal to think about it. I would probably lose my Israeli passport.

Surreal fits the bill. That's... a big move.

I was in Israel to put a pause on life in America for a bit on a bee farm. Somewhere between plotting a course for the next couple years and getting distance from dating woes.

kantos  ·  10 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 12, 2020

Playing these two together.

I wish I could find men writing/speaking poetry like this. My limited scope has Neil Hilborn and sometimes Rudy Francisco from Button Poetry (, too). Rudy's book Helium is goooood.

kantos  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Found it anyways:

Sarah Kay is my hero.

kantos  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 12, 2020

Amy vs Trump on the debate stage gives me a sense of deja vu. But I think she’d hold it down better than Pete.

Of the three you mentioned, considering they are female, gay or jewish still seems novel for presidential candidates making it this far. The best part of each being those qualities aren’t centerpieces of their campaign.

izzy417  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Big mood. I still get "Isn't It Time?" Hillary episodes.

kantos  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski: I hate to toot my own horn, but . . .

It's wonderful for dialogues as well. :)

kantos  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 369th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

It's a departure from Apocalyptica (they're amazing), but in the metal/instrumental realm. Not sure if you're into math-rock vibes - yet.

Hope there's more peeps there tho. Been a while since people have mentioned the IRC.

lil  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

It seems to be giving me an error for now. might try later.

Quatrarius  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

i also lost connection - we broke it :(

ButterflyEffect  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Same thing just happened to me.

curses

Quatrarius  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

me 'n' ilex as of right now, but we both took a dinner break so it's a little quiet at the moment

Foveaux  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

What is IRC? From what I've gathered it's a chat thing?

lil  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

click the irc link at the bottom

Quatrarius  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

IRC is instant messaging for tech nerds and old people

kantos  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Bizarre World of Fake Martial Arts

Honestly, it could have been two separate videos.

Agreed. It could have worked if the cult point was massaged more into the Chinese nationalist POV in my opinion.

kantos  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sparknotes for Shakira’s performance on the Day of the Superb Owl

Yeah... uh... what's the opposite of regret? I got that. This was such an apt share. Makes me wish I spent my couple months in Haifa instead of Karmel. LOL. My guide in IL had this love of psychedelic trance, to the point he'd crank it up on his speaker strapped to his backpack on our night trek through Jaffa and day hikes.

Sidenotes:

I remember signs to Ramallah from Jerusalem, and Ramallah was referenced a lot in the show Fauda, but I never realized how close it was to Jerusalem.

The bits with DAM and Al Nather speaking about using their music to converse with their home town sounds SO much like how Mackelmore approached his early tracks.

Questions:

Anna Loulou, that's reference to Honolulu, Hawaii?

Since you're in Tira, would Trump's plan relocate you? What would happen to your Israeli passport (assuming you were born there)?

Cumol  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Anna loulou translates to "I am lulu", never thought about the possible connection to Honolulu 😂

Sadly, the place closed down last year (a few months after this docu came out). My favorite place to hang out in jaffa :(

I am also a big fan of psychedelic trance :) my connection to the jazar crew comes from a couple of friends I met at a psytrance festival in Hungary in 2014.

What were you up to in Israel?

kantos  ·  10 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Surreal fits the bill. That's... a big move.

kantos  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski: I hate to toot my own horn, but . . .
lil  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

perfect kantos: the inventory of feelings. I give that to my students to help them develop a vocabulary of feelings beyond the Seseme Street ones (mad, bad, sad, glad).

kantos  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's wonderful for dialogues as well. :)

Maaaaan, I knew it was whack when I heard it.... Kinda a bummer, not worth paying the current school rate just to chi sai for the time I have left in town. Thanks for the insight.

johnnyFive  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Maybe not, although there's no such thing as too much practice! But still, definitely sounds like you got a less-than-stellar teacher on that one.

kantos  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Good Sci-Fi books for a fiction book club?

I haven’t been active in them, but we have some great threads in #scifi, #scificlub and #hubskibookclub. Some people comment on their good reads in those.

EDIT: Can't find the notepad with hubski book threads on my desktop, must have cleared it out.

Off-topic. Does your school require hong bao to teach further forms? My Sifu hit me with that after teaching me Sil Nim Tau, as though wanting more on top the flat monthly rate outta no where.

johnnyFive  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Absolutely not. Hong bao is always optional, and is usually only done at special occasions (e.g. sifu's birthday, Christmas, etc.). It's never been asked for directly, and I didn't even learn about its existence from my sifu (only from other students who'd been there longer than me). The only thing that learning something new is conditioned upon is whether you've put in enough time to be ready for it.

kantos  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Shu is on point from what I know: if two fighters of differing practices are at an expert level, then you want the fighter that draws from a wealth of arts to form their style than stuck playing the rules of one. I've been taking my time at a Ving Tsun school (known as Wing Chun in this video), and students come from different backgrounds. When it comes to our forms of sparring, the Sifu encourages you to use your background to your advantage - to blend it into your Ving Tsun teachings to make your kung fu your own (sorta a paradox if you think about it hard). Now, I just go to that school for good cardio, and tips in case my shitty boxing/judo doesn't do the trick in the slim chance I have to defend myself.

The progression of the video seems to state: Fake Martial Arts << Real Martial Arts < MMA. The 'masters' challenging Shu are probably great in their respective fields (benefit of the doubt). That story could have been better supported in highlighting the cult-like propaganda of martial arts in China back to American cult stories. Under the context of the title, I don't think sliding the concrete forms of martial arts under the same lens as 'fake' was enough to make the transition to Shu's story.

Otherwise, using his platform to give more exposure to Shu's message/story is a circledot in my book.

applewood  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think the other thing is, he's talking a lot about "fake" as in charlatans and parlor tricks and people with a huge following who started thinking they're bigger than they are. The second part, was more like an "also, this" kind of point. Honestly, it could have been two separate videos.

kantos  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Honestly, it could have been two separate videos.

Ask what you can do to build trust: "Is there anything I can do to show you I'm really sorry about blowing up."

4a. is a favorite of mine I haven’t got to use. It shows you want to understand how to make it right by them on their terms (assuming it is something I’m willing and able to do).

One theme hinted at in that Hubski thread is ‘an apology is a change of behavior.’ Verbally stating the apology is just the beginning of ‘this is what I will do differently.’

Thanks for digging up that thread.

lil  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

The archive system here is great.

That example there in the blog, about someone being an asshole in the car and blowing up was the apology that I wished for but never got.

Luckily, that 22-year relationship is over, and I got the Prius.