kantos's comments
kantos  ·  9 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what's your favorite cover version of a song?

Favorite? Probably not. Headbanger, no doubt.

Disturbed has a cover in almost all of their albums. Each are nice love letters to the originals.

Punk goes Pop has covers a dime a dozen, some are catchy.

kantos  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Book Thread Time

My tumble into American comics found a nice resting point. Neil Gaiman had written the Sandman decades before writing American Gods. I’m on the ninth out of 10 volumes. It’s sweet seeing common threads, themes, and characters crop up that clearly informed Gods. Sandman (protagonist is the Lord of Dreams) meanders through plots, but I’m flipping back through prior volumes even to the first seeing how far back some of them are set in motion.

Nice read on the whole, the 9th is where it all comes to a head. Looking forward to the mental boom, I guess.

Total side: since it was published by DC Comics, there are cameos and plot lines following heroes and villains from DC. Makes for a bit of extra fun.

kantos  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Book Thread Time

I devoured Alex Rider (Young Adult spy series) growing up, but hadn’t touched the genre since. I’m stalling out half way into Earth Abides at the moment, so placing a bookmark there for now and shift gears sounds good.

kantos  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 343rd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

His hits are super catchy - good stuff for sure. He was out of the game for a bit, country-wise, but swung around with that album.

kantos  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 14, 2019

Those smiles are ADORABLE. Congrats!!

kantos  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 343rd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

OftenBen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I didn't know Dierks Bentley was still making music, I loved his stuff as a kid.

That's pretty fun to listen to.

kantos  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Where's Your "Third Place", Hubski?

Cafe's are easy go-to's.

Places to read:

On the coast, I'd go to the beach after work for the sound of the waves.

Cheap Japanese sushi buffets with good selection. Any ol' asian buffet just won't do it - quality of ingredients is usually noticeably better.

Occasionally, rides on the highway.

kantos  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 17, 2019

No worries at all.

Cheers

kantos  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 17, 2019

Psst, I recommend The Rise of Kyoshi for a joy read. It came out the day of this Pubski. Halfway through and it's coming into its own after laying down the setting, plus a few very subtle hints of fan service/acknowledging the rest of the universe.

kingmudsy and Gem shout out since y'all boop'd the hubwheel, might be interested.

dyad  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks, I'll give it a look sometime. Not much of a fan of 'prequels', but this looks both interesting and promising.

Also, sorry for using an alt.

kantos  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

No worries at all.

Cheers

kantos  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How U.S. video game companies are building tools for China’s surveillance state

Going to sleep with a good tag for these china surveillance state posts in mind.

kantos  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 10, 2019

Totally borrowing this in conversation.

kantos  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 10, 2019

Exactly! It has to be the way they enunciate, though I'm curious about how the regional accents stack up against eachother. My roommates joke a bit how some accents are incomprehensible to them.

kantos  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 10, 2019

I'll have to make a run to Barnes and Noble. As much as I love my Kindle, that can't be beat.

applewood  ·  44 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you're a fan of poetry, you can sometimes find foreign authors with books published that way. I think the bulk of multilingual books that I've seen fit under that category.

kantos  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 10, 2019

No offense taken at all.

I'll take a gander at Ana. A teacher's attitude really does make the difference - goes for any subject.

Regional dialects/accents can be fun to hear.

Semi-related, my current roommates are from Brazil. Their Portuguese sounds nothing like a Spanish relative to me half the time. Their cousin who came over could have fooled me otherwise.

¡Buena suerte!

johnnyFive  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

Portuguese is funny that way. I can barely understand anything when I hear Portuguese spoken, but then reading it and it's surprisingly comprehensible.

kantos  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

applewood  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've known a few people from Brazil through my life. One guy in particular, a man with swagger, used to brag the Brazilian Portuguese had the manliness of Spanish and the flowery romance of French. I've always loved that description.

kantos  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

Totally borrowing this in conversation.

kantos  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 10, 2019

Practice and fun, the best combo there is. Unless the woodsmen have another purpose? I'd like to think the flat surfaces are easier to burn onto.