a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
johan's comments

From the other side of the accelerationist horse-shoe:

More related, Robert Evans' audiobook The War on Everyone is really good and makes similar connections as this article.

Edit: Just after commenting, this interview on accelerationism appeared in my feed.

It’s important to realise that there are many ‘accelerationisms’.
goobster  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd argue that this is a more nihilistic form of accerationism than has been previously championed, and it bends the "horseshoe theory" into a flat line again.

The people championing this form of accelerationism don't actually believe in any of the causes they purport to support; they simply choose the most divisive issue and pick the most radical position, to sow discord....

It's like the punk anarchists of the late 70's and into the 80's; they didn't believe in, or want, anything other than conflict. There was no end goal, just the urge to see things burn.

This is where the opportunists like Thiel, Milo, and Bannon come in, because they can weaponize the apathy of these white middle-class boys who believe in this shit, and use them to do the dirty work (shoot people, blow things up, etc.) to destabilize the social infrastructure so far that people look to these charlatans as Solutions To The Problem.

The Republicans are already pretty far down this road. EVERY premise they have based their platform on for the last 4 decades has been pissed on by Trump and his cronies, and Republicans continue to drink the piss, smile, and comment on how lovely this champagne is.

Where does that end?

Around Valentine's Day, when the Senate fails to indict Trump on charges EVERYONE can see are 100% true, we will be deep in the ideal Accelerationist model: An entire party living entirely within a fantasy world where there are no more controls on their behavior or conduct. Everything is possible, because nothing is out of scope any more...

Bleh.

nil  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

I noticed that too. I was familiar with the term from studying Marxism. The point is to promote unfettered capitalism such that the contradictions in the system intensify and eventually create the classless society.

I am bothered by people trying to sow discord but I think we're going to be okay. This isn't the Weimar Republic exactly.

johan  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 6, 2019

Thank you all for your suggestions on how to live with Windows, my Microsoft-controlled existence feels a lot easier now. I managed to move my Linux virtual machine over from VMWare Fusion on my Macbook Pro and after whispering soothing words into its ear it now lives happily under Windows. For when I don't need the whole Linux desktop experience I've now got a Ubuntu terminal in my start menu, which is now located at the top of the screen. Rainmeter is really nice, I used to run GeekTools back in the day but for some silly reason stopped. I haven't dared to run those de-bloater scripts yet, but hopefully will get around to it this weekend. Still trying to find a native RSS reader that doesn't suck, but I'm leaning more and more towards going with a web solution. My only problem right now is ironically that I can't get my printer to work which is connected to the network through an Airport Express. Trying to get it to work with Bonjour only makes the installer crash. Thanks, Apple!

Just 'cuz I know you'll appreciate it: I had my Mac Mini cease to believe in my Epson printer over Bonjour between page 2 and page 3 of a 14-page PDF. Next step is to restart the damn computer and hope for the best.

Unbelievable.

steve  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

you're trying to install a printer in linux connected via airport express?

johan  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh no, don't give me any more ideas!

steve  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

nah... just trying to make sure I understood. You gotta know when you're in Linux - you're forging a path that only other linux people dared to tread

johan  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

I see, no, just trying to get it to work in Windows. I also just realised Samsung sold off their printing division in 2016, so basically I've been trying to make a deprecated printer talk to Windows through a deprecated router through deprecated software...

bfv  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

The other might be your easier option. Get it working in CUPS and let Windows talk to the CUPS server. As long as your printer speaks postscript, you should be able to set it up as a generic postscript printer in Windows.

Bonjour has been effectively deprecated. They haven't updated it in three years. The Airport Express has likewise been turned into abandonware. Apple was never good at networking and they've shown zero interest in working with companies that are. What I love is that they kept selling Time Capsules for about two years after they killed AFP in their operating system.

For a while, I was able to keep a SCSI-2 film scanner working over Firewire in an OS X environment. Then Steve Jobs died. And that, as they say, was that. Nowadays you're lucky to get 18 months of consistent functionality out of an iPhone. Your best move is to take a good hard look at the devices and software Apple is advertising their support of and discontinue literally everything else. Because if it's working now, it will suddenly stop one day when you most need it. I've been on the phone with tech support and had them say "yeah, well we've got email? But you really shouldn't use it. Unofficially our support tree for MobileMe is "use Gmail."

bfv  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

I mean, would you want to work as a systems programmer at Apple, where nothing that isn't shiny or at least comprehensible to the designers matters?

Somewhere on Reddit there's a lamentation from an Apple engineer on the subject of strain reliefs. It must be a thousand words on how everyone knows they need them, everyone knows they're good, everyone knows that Apple products suffer through their absence and everyone knows that Jonny Ive and his ilk will never allow Apple products to have any.

Because fuck your ergonomics.

johan  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How do you make Windows suck less?

My experience with Wine is that it's great until something breaks, and then it turns into a time sink trying to get software you depend on to work properly. I'm considering doing it the other way around and run Ubuntu or something in Virtualbox to get a proper feed reader, terminal and some other nice things.

The Linux, Linux uber alles crew generally suggest such things because they assume you want to run Linux (and occasionally do stuff in Windows when you absolutely have to). Having taken a long, hard look at things, you can't reasonably do production in a virtualized Windows environment.

You can, however, run your email and internet inside a linux environment. It actually protects you better against viruses and malware. The downside is if you look at it funny it will break and all the linux people will look at you like you're a fucking moron who doesn't know how to run a computer before giving you a half-dozen shell commands to try to fix the problem.

Creatives, be they architects, sound mixers or machinists, have no choice but a professional, legacy environment. Anything designed to run in a company big enough for an IT department is going to run on Windows first, mmmmmaybe Mac if it's advertising-related and Linux not at all.

bfv  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's not cheap, but Crossover is pretty reliable if you don't want to have to configure wine yourself.

keifermiller  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's worth checking the various coupon sites if you go the crossover route. Codeweavers seem to usually have some sort of deal going on.

veen  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

Have you considered WSL? I'm not sure if it supports the full Linux desktop experience, but it runs like an absolute charm in just cmd line mode. And you cannavigate Linux with the Windows explorer and vice versa.

johan  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

I had not, but after reading about it I think this might be the way to go. Thanks!

Devac  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

You can also run a large subset of nix tools and get POSIX goodies with either Cygwin or GOW. Only really used the former (and it was enough for me), heard a lot of good things about the latter.

johnnyFive  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

That could also make sense.

Tangential question: what feed reader do you use?

johan  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

On OS X I switched between NetNewsWire and Reeder, on Ubuntu I've only used FeedReader.

johnnyFive  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks ... I've struggled to find something.

Honestly, what I really wish is that InstaPaper weren't so useless :/

johan  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

For some reason mac users seems to be the only ones spoiled with good native RSS readers. If you're fine with using a web browser Feedbin and Inoreader are good, Feedly is decent. I use RSS for discovery, Pinboard for bookmarks and managing my reading list and the built-in reading view in Firefox to read articles.

johnnyFive  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's really more effort than I want to put in to setting something like this up.

I'm also looking for something that can handle things offline, since otherwise I can just read things in the browser.

johan  ·  87 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 18, 2019

I got a wisdom tooth removed monday morning. I tried to get my previous dentist to do it eight years ago when I still had insurance, and again five years ago when I was still flush with Norwegian money but they wanted to "wait and see if it corrects itself". Now I don't have dental insurance, and the surgery that they promised me in april would be done before the summer was postponed until now. I was pretty bitter about it going in, but it turns out prescription painkillers dulls the pain post-surgery and the pain of wrestling with Vray and Photoshop all day on my university's underpowered computers.

flagamuffin  ·  86 days ago  ·  link  ·

who knows how it works in other countries but check your non-dental insurance, it may have generic surgical coverage that includes wisdom teeth

no one told me this so i almost didn't use it when i was in a similar situation

johan  ·  84 days ago  ·  link  ·

I took another look at my receipt and apparently the social insurance agency paid for roughly half of it. I still had to pay almost €400, but it feels a bit embarrassing to complain about healthcare costs among Americans...

kingmudsy  ·  84 days ago  ·  link  ·

...it turns out prescription painkillers dulls the pain post-surgery and the pain of wrestling with Vray and Photoshop all day on my university's underpowered computers.

Don't know what they've got you on, but I tried programming while on hydrocodone the other day. It went...poorly. Hope the creative part of our brains function a little nicer on the meds, for your sake :)

johan  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 21, 2019

I was photobombed by a reindeer.

johan  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why Iran’s Internet Shutdown Is A Stark Warning For Russia

Phases led by material production will issue forth struggles within production, over the price of labor power; phases led by circulation will see struggles in the marketplace, over the price of goods.

From Joshua Clover's Riot.Strike.Riot., which I haven't finished.

johan  ·  157 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 10, 2019

My usual summer month LARPing as a carpenter is almost over. I thought I knew every square inch of this house by now, but when I was about to paint a wall I almost missed a scribble which I decided to mask off for posterity. It says ”June 8 1920 J.N” and was probably from the time they raised the roof.

Other than that I haven’t done much painting since my sister and her kids has been here for the last three weeks and there’s no point trying to paint with a two and a four year old in the house. Instead I’ve been doing finishing work around doors and windows around the house and insulating the third and final floor of the house.

I’ve got three days now of hammering flax insulation between logs and tempera painting before leaving this happy place.

johan  ·  113 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Book Thread Time

- This Life by Martin Hägglund - I was sceptical of this book at first because it appeared to be another one of those "atheists tries to disprove the existence of God with facts and logic". Instead it goes at it from another direction, arguing that eternity is not desirable and that the finitude of a lifetime is what gives it meaning. It starts out arguing that the experience of grief over the loss of a person can only be understood properly in a secular sense and tries to illustrate how even deeply religious persons like C.S Lewis, Martin Luther and Augustine failed to find comfort in their beliefs when experiencing loss. The book covers a lot of terrain and shifts between being a work of philosophy, self-help book, Marx explainer and a rallying cry to strive for democratic socialism. I wouldn't been able to do it justice in recounting it here, but I highly recommend it.

- The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan - A history of the world centered around trade and trade routes from ancient times up until today. I still have about a quarter left of it, but for someone like me who hasn't read much history in adulthood this one is really interesting and easy to digest.

- Mannen i skogen (The man in the forest) by Jens Liljestrand - A biography of Vilhelm Moberg, which felt topical to read this summer since there was a small storm in a pond this summer when the Sweden Democrats sort of tried to "claim him" as one of them in a speech. After reading the biography, I have a hard time seeing how any political party could be able to claim him.

galen  ·  113 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey, I'm also reading This Life! This book is the shit. I'm not totally convinced by his preachy-atheist arguments (religion is not only unnecessary but also always genuinely harmful), but his work to construct a way of being without the classic atheist turn of "man I'd love to believe in God if I could" is so good. Has been pretty influential for me personally.

johan  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hi Hubski! What are some of your private rituals?

Sundays for me is a day of rituals, but from the outside probably looks more like a boring weekly routine. Before 12 I make a shopping list before going to the shared laundry room. While the machine is running I go for a walk in the park if the weather is nice and stop at the grocery store on the way home, otherwise I go straight to the grocery store. When I get home I book the laundry room for the next Sunday, hang the laundry to dry, clean my apartment, pay bills and look at my schedule for the next week. If it's a race weekend I might postpone the cleaning a couple of hours to watch Formula 1 or Indycar.

I've followed this "ritual" for maybe five years now. It started out as a way to deal with depressive episodes by forcing a reset and to start looking ahead and prepare mentally for the next week. After a while it stopped feeling like a chore and I began looking forward to the activities themselves and the small feeling of satisfaction of completing them, so I view it as a sort of secular ritual.

bfv  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh no, don't give me any more ideas!

steve  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

johan  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

AutoCAD being available for OS X is what kept me there for so long, even though Apple has managed to break it with every single OS upgrade. Now if Apple could get back to making great hardware in the(ir) low/mid-end I'd love to come back, but I don't see it happening in the foreseeable future and my 2013 Macbook Pro was is on life support. I ended up building a desktop PC, so the only bloatware is the ones provided by Microsoft themselves, which still is a lot.

I'm already loving eM Client, it's the first software I've installed on Windows that I can't think of a better Mac alternative for!

Hear you 5x5. I beta-test professionally and Apple has grown increasingly hostile to all software not made by them.

I went PC when the new Mac Pro came out:

I discovered that you couldn't really throw more than $3k at the Windows world to get the fastest PC imaginable while a Mac Pro that would beat my 2008 would cost me $12k. Now? Now Mac Pros are in "SGI money" territory and I have a laptop with a quadro card, a xeon chip and a 4k screen for $2800.

johnnyFive  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks ... I've struggled to find something.

Honestly, what I really wish is that InstaPaper weren't so useless :/

johan  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

I will give up my OPML when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!