johan's comments
johan  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 10, 2019

My usual summer month LARPing as a carpenter is almost over. I thought I knew every square inch of this house by now, but when I was about to paint a wall I almost missed a scribble which I decided to mask off for posterity. It says ”June 8 1920 J.N” and was probably from the time they raised the roof.

Other than that I haven’t done much painting since my sister and her kids has been here for the last three weeks and there’s no point trying to paint with a two and a four year old in the house. Instead I’ve been doing finishing work around doors and windows around the house and insulating the third and final floor of the house.

I’ve got three days now of hammering flax insulation between logs and tempera painting before leaving this happy place.

johan  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 10, 2019

Grattis! Which university?

swedishbadgergirl  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Linköpings Universitet. It was my first choice so I'm pretty stoked.

johan  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Let's have a book thread! What have you been reading?

The Sorcerer's Stone came out in Swedish in 1999 when I was 10, the same year I began learning English in school. My parents have the books in English and Swedish in their bookcases from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix going forward because I couldn't wait for the translations, but then I re-read them when the Swedish edition arrived (since my comprehension was honestly not that great), before allowing my siblings to read them. I have friends from back then then that I doubt has read any other books since then that weren't assignments. Can't really blame them.

I don't know if they're available as audiobooks, but if they are, The Emigrants by Vilhelm Moberg is 1780 pages between the four of them, all of them really good.

They're available as eBooks. I've added them to the list.

I really enjoyed the Millennium Trilogy the first time through. The second time I realized that Anita Blomqvist is not a hero and that kinda tweaked me a bit. I'd love some exposure to something better. Thanks.

The Looming Towers by Lawrence Wright was recommended by kleinbl00 and gives a good historical overview of radical islamism and the events leading up to 9/11.

Speaking of historical overviews, Crashed by Adam Tooze on the last decade of financial and political turmoil, for someone who didn't really follow the news for large parts of it, felt sort of like watching the photos from a party you attended but don't remember the day after. My takeaway was that sure, the fire started in the U.S, but when it jumped over the Atlantic it was the EU that kept stumbling and kept it going.

What We Lost in The Fire by Mariana Enriquez is a flavorful collection of short stories from Argentina. It sort of acted as a palate cleanser to me after reading a bunch of short novels by Chinese authors like Wang Xiabo, Hao Jingfang and Fei Ge. The weirdest short novel I've read lately is probably Ödmården by Nils Håkanson set in the post-apocalypse in Sweden where language and culture has become unstable and corrupted. The book is written in a mixture of Swedish slang from different time periods, Dutch loan-words and made-up words with no consistent grammatical structure.

Belladonna by Croatian author Daša Drndić was also a weird read, but an enjoyable one. I've also read like three novels by Michel Houellebecq before realising it could have sufficed with one, probably The Map and the Landscape for me.

Out on the Wire by Jessica Abel about the making of This American Life and other radio shows/podcasts was really interesting, but since learning how the sausage is made I haven't really been able to enjoy listening to that type of shows.

I've got a bunch more books that I wanted to mention, so I'll add them later when I have the time.

johan  ·  70 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 1, 2019

"Calm in conversation. Kind of flat facial expressions. Does not appear psychotic, clear and adequate."

How's that for a Tinder bio?

johan  ·  138 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Who Is Left on Hubski?

Name: Johan, here and afk

Location: Malmö, Sweden

Age: No longer in my 20s!

Current Preoccupation: Never-ending studies, my allotment garden, local issues. I don't think I've ever really been a frequent contributor around here, but I lurk around almost daily. Even though I read a lot, writing in english has never been effortless for me, so I end up sitting out most discussions.

Previous Preoccupations: Heartbreaks, setbacks, breakups, makeups (stuck on repeat)

Role and purpose: Maybe I will figure it out some day!

johan  ·  129 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The People Who Eat the Same Lunch Every Day

When I lived in Norway, me and my Swedish friends used to joke about the boring Norwegians who had sandwiches for lunch every single day. I guess it grew on me, cause I miss it, or as the article points out I miss not having to think about what I’m packing for lunch every day. We used to get free bread at work, and cheap Norwegian bread is so much better than what you get in Swedish supermarkets. I now live next door to an Iranian bakery that only makes barbari bread which has started to turn into a routine buy on the way to the bus when I haven’t had time for breakfast or preparing lunch the day before.

I started on Augustine's Confessions a while back and as far as I'm concerned he'll always be a heathen.

johan  ·  196 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: One day, a mighty oak.

Disclaimer: I only know this works for European cold-temperate oaks. The Quercus genus has hundreds of species with Mexico having the most species.

I don’t have any direct experience sprouting acorns, but you might have just gotten a dud or, depending on the species, you need to put it in the fridge for a while to mimick the cold period it would experience in nature to wake it from hibernation. Bonus tip for growing your mighty oak a little bit faster: plant it together with a nurse tree of a faster growing species so it gets some competition for light, as well as a bit of protection from the wind. Around here birch or larch are commonly planted together with oak like this, the nurse tree gets removed after a couple of years. This also reduces the risk of multiple trunks, if that’s something you want to avoid.

johan  ·  209 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Minimalism

johan  ·  254 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Symmetry

Pathar Masjid in Srinagar, Kashmir.

darlinareyousleepy  ·  253 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nice angle

johan  ·  152 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Traditional Finnish Log House Building

I’ve spent the last five summers working on restoring a house with a similar construction to the one in the video (but much bigger) alongside professional carpenters using traditional methods. Since they are usually stretched pretty thin, sometimes I’ve been helping out when someone is missing. One time I helped out peeling and shaping a log with the axe. My hands have never hurt as much as they did the next day, so many blisters. I think the gloves make it worse since your hands get sweaty. The video was really interesting, I’ve put in flooring and insulated with sawdust in the same way as they do in the video, with some variation. Around where we put the iron stove we opted for a more fireproof insulation and instead of dried moss between the logs we used flax fibers.

johan  ·  129 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 6, 2019

I’ve got a list of nurseries that carries North American native seeds that I got from a visiting professor so let me know and I will dump it on you.

Wikipedia tells me it’s called a ”community garden” in North America, it’s basically a plot of land that has been subdivided into smaller plots for individuals to grow their own food for a small fee. It’s great if you live in a small apartment but still wish to do some gardening. The city provides water and a spot to dump garden refuse but everything else you might need like seeds etc you have to buy yourself, or barter from your neighbours. I got some strawberry seedlings last year in exchange for a wheelbarrow of horse manure from my Italian neighbour (I also got to borrow the wheelbarrow from him).

applewood  ·  129 days ago  ·  link  ·

wheelbarrow of horse manure

That's legit hard core. :)

Thanks for the offer of the list. I might take you up on that.

johan  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Shade

I started reading it last night before bed and had to finish it today. Well worth it!

johan  ·  182 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Instagram's most-liked post ever is an egg. Just a regular egg.

Can't wait for the egg to turn out to be racist and start selling us celery water.