j4d3's comments
j4d3  ·  1107 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: Show me some art that you dig
Pribnow  ·  1107 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have a couple of Haeckel prints on my wall, I love that guy. Great scientist, great artist. Some of the radiolarians he drew are just mind blowing, a lot of people I've shown don't even believe they're accurate at first (until I show them photomicrographs and electron microscopy images).

j4d3  ·  1108 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 5 'Easy' Steps to a Gun Free America

Oh. I did think you were sincerely interested in less gun violence. My mistake.

j4d3  ·  1111 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: No Comments Allowed on Reddit's New News Site 'Upvoted'

Feels like reading Reddit default subs, curated by a 23-year-old dude. It's fine. But I suspect I'll forget it exists by Friday.

j4d3  ·  1112 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How would you stop mass shootings?

Did you say that about 9/11? Gun deaths are 100 9/11's a year.

gee  ·  1112 days ago  ·  link  ·

and the amount of people that die from overdoses each day is about the same as if a 747 crashed full of passengers each day: http://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates Should we stop prescription drug sales too? Im not trying to change the subject, I'm making the point that people die from legal things all the time. Car crashes kill people -- should we outlaw cars?

I have reasons to say that we should not mass broadcast mass shootings, especially when it is a single man or woman who acts alone and for motives that can only logically be described as a self promotion/remembrance. 9/11 was a well orchestrated and funded terrorist attack that required many participants and, as you stated, lead to the deaths of many many people, changed the landscape of an entire city and ultimately a nation. Shootings and 9/11 are only alike in the fact that people die/died.

I would like to turn the question to you -- why SHOULD we mass broadcast a school shooting. Releasing the name of the shooter and in effect "celebrating" them by making them the topic on the news for weeks?

With loopholes you could fly a 777 through, background-check-wise. The dude who sold my dad his gun wasn't legally required to check any of that.

I appreciate that it sounds like your mind is open, but it’s silly and a pet peeve that people who have no interest in being anywhere near a gun ever should have to know what distinction you and the NRA are drawing between an AR-15 and an assault rifle. Wikipedia doesn’t know the difference, either. People who have zero interest in violence shouldn’t have to go to the shooting range to feel the zen of shooting.

Though my depression, combined with a reasonable IQ, combined with a beautiful family have made the decision for me to never have a gun in my home, I do know about guns. I “grew up around guns”. So did my dad, and when his life took a bad turn, rather than turn things around, he used his .22 shotgun, bought cheap in the classified ads, to end his life. The night before he shot himself, my mom awoke to find him standing at the foot of the bed, watching her sleep. My sisters and I had been sent to stay with family, probably because my parents knew shit was hitting the proverbial fan, but every time I think about how easy it is for sick people to have guns, I wonder how many synapses my mom, sisters, and I were from being one of the many many families that gets shot to death by their dad.

There should be universal, effective background checks and waiting periods. Any sign of mental illness or domestic violence should be disqualifying (though I worry that this will prevent people from seeking help). Guns should be taxed like the death and disability machines they are. Guns shouldn’t be able to kill tons of people without reloading. We should do buybacks and whatever else Australia and Canada do. Gun owners should face prison time if their guns are stored so a child or criminal can get to them. When there’s a murder, we should all hear whose gun that was that killed that child and who sold/gave it to the loser who did it.

I was thinking the other morning, “What if the NRA started using some of the money they make after these shootings to help people see the signs that they shouldn’t be around a gun? Feeling blue? Don’t buy a gun. Got a kid who’s a little weird? Don’t buy a gun. Have kids and you’re not so great at putting things away when you’re done with them? Don’t buy a gun.” And then I remembered that the NRA exists to sell guns.

So. That’s what I think.

GodOfAtheism  ·  1112 days ago  ·  link  ·

The Brady Bill prevents felons and anyone with any domestic violence on their record (Or who's under a restraining order and considered a violent threat) from getting a gun, along with anyone with severe mental issues or who has been previously committed.

_refugee_  ·  1111 days ago  ·  link  ·

So? I can tell anyone, including my current medical provider, that I've never done so much as gone to a shrink before, but that doesn't make it true. And how are they going to check? All doctors take medical histories but they are completely dependent on the truth of the patients filling them out. If I said I'd never seen a shrink there isn't a receptionist on earth who would call the 50 counsellors in my immediate area to confirm that that's the truth. And since I wouldn't have told you who I had seen, that's what you would have to do.

j4d3  ·  1112 days ago  ·  link  ·

j4d3  ·  1115 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: College Shooting in Oregon Now, 10 killed

Those moral injustices being beautiful, happy, well-adjusted young women not having sex with them. Rest in peace, young women targeted by this loser and his 4chan friends.

j4d3  ·  1116 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: College Shooting in Oregon Now, 10 killed

That sheriff also refuses to enforce existing gun laws. "Don't say the shooter's name" is the new "mental illness" -- that is, a way to not do a damn thing about assholes with guns.

j4d3  ·  1118 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Many Conservative Republicans Believe Climate Change Is a Real Threat

Except we weren't all the same when Bush was president. Republicans were driving SUVs like it was their duty, cutting taxes for Trumps and Hiltons, and starting racist wars.

The delay by Republicans in acknowledging the reality of climate change will probably go unremarked by history. But I haven't flushed it down the memory hole yet.

steve  ·  1117 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
user-inactivated  ·  1118 days ago  ·  link  ·

We should just switch blobs around. That'll solve everything.

j4d3  ·  1121 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to the Third Industrial Revolution

We may all one day pay for 3D printing patterns with our bot repair wages. I wonder if we'll all be grease-stained Gilliam characters in overalls.

Everyone should read The Diamond Age. I liked that poor people could print what they needed and apparently had constant high speed connectivity. It was sad to think that a great education might still be so far out of reach for children with imperfect parents. I appreciate that Rifkin is trying to get ahead on these policies from a seemingly humanist place.

I'm not convinced, either, but IoT is happening. There will be Norton and McAfee for IoT, and good on whomever it is that makes their money that way.

j4d3  ·  1121 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How to deal with a victim mentality in the workplace

If you think people can work harder, tell them you think they are great and can handle it. Don't tell them you think they're lazy and not doing enough. For me, the former makes me play "Eye of the Tiger" in a my head and Get Shit Done. Any hint of the latter leads to insecurity, resume submissions, and I'm gone in a month.